• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think theres an item of the day or something a few days ago it was Scutum Scutum Scutum and today its Stranglers Stranglers Stranglers.

Nothing good! Whats MF actually do again give your stuff better stats or just make more of the items blue and yellow? Basically do you need MF to get high roll items?

M.D

I don't think I understand...

How do you chose weapons for different classes? DH would normally use bows, right? But can there be a club with good stats for a DH? Does it matter that the weapon is melee or not?

I started a WD, and I'm not sure what gear I should aim for. I know INT is good for a WD... what else should I look for?

Whooter

You think theres an item of the day or something a few days ago it was Scutum Scutum Scutum and today its Stranglers Stranglers Stranglers.

Nothing good! Whats MF actually do again give your stuff better stats or just make more of the items blue and yellow? Basically do you need MF to get high roll items?

MF only controls the likelihood of an item dropped being rare. It does not affect the rolls on those items. Higher MF = more blues/yellows/oranges/greens but not their stats.

ch0mp

How do you chose weapons for different classes? DH would normally use bows, right? But can there be a club with good stats for a DH? Does it matter that the weapon is melee or not?
Yes, DH mainly use bows. You can use other weapons but your main skills require a bow.

I started a WD, and I'm not sure what gear I should aim for. I know INT is good for a WD... what else should I look for?

Generally classes can use anything, but in the case of DHs, most of their moves require a bow so they're kind of guided into that direction.

With a WD, until you get to Inferno all you should be concerned about is INT and VIT. Just get as much as you can. Other stats that you might be interested in are Mana Regen and Max Mana which you can get only on WD specific items. Later on you'll want to look at getting your resistances up and perhaps attack speed/crit chance/damage etc. Since they're only represented in minuscule quantities until level 60 just ignore them for the time being.

Thanks guys. On a positive note I just got my second legendary! My first one was a trash lvl 14 when I was leveling my Alt monk. This ones a Hellrack that I actually bought a little better of a one of someone here like two days ago for my Scoundrel lol.

Untitled-46.png

but at least one finally dropped after ~200 hours.

LdhPj.png

Uhhh, is this a "jackpot" item?

Closest thing has a 14 million bid on it.......

I listed it for 10mil bid, 50 mil buyout..........

Maybe I should keep it for myself....

Whoa, 100 bucks+ too

M.D

Generally classes can use anything, but in the case of DHs, most of their moves require a bow so they're kind of guided into that direction.

With a WD, until you get to Inferno all you should be concerned about is INT and VIT. Just get as much as you can. Other stats that you might be interested in are Mana Regen and Max Mana which you can get only on WD specific items. Later on you'll want to look at getting your resistances up and perhaps attack speed/crit chance/damage etc. Since they're only represented in minuscule quantities until level 60 just ignore them for the time being.

Got it. Thanks.

I feel so powerful with a WD :p
Multiple arrows and the grasp of the dead skill + zombie dogs is just a killing machine at this stage :)

Anyone else had this problem with the sound? I can hear everything alright, but very often the sound will go very quiet and then go back to normal

Trail of Cinders, we hardly knew ye.

Looks like I'll finish leveling my Wizard or Barb if I actually want to play this game anymore and not be bashing my head against it.

It's stupid to get rid of it because the risk:reward ratio was high, and made for interesting gameplay.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So I heard that things that add elemental damage (zunis, etc) to your overall DPS only work with weapons that already don't have elemental damage? Is that true?

syllogism

So I heard that things that add elemental damage (zunis, etc) to your overall DPS only work with weapons that already don't have elemental damage? Is that true?
It works with any weapon, but is only applied to physical damage, so pure physical damage weapons benefit from it a lot more. So if your weapon has +poison dmg, zunis +x% affects only the base damage of the weapon as even matching elemental damage gets ignored.

It's really dumb and seems like a relic from a time when they planned for elemental damage to have special properties

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It works with any weapon, but is only applied to physical damage, so pure physical damage weapons benefit from it a lot more. So if your weapon has +poison dmg, zunis +x% affects only the base damage of the weapon as even matching elemental damage gets ignored.

It's really dumb and seems like a relic from a time when they planned for elemental damage to have special properties

That's kind of a bummer. I was planning on getting a nice triumvirate or some zunis but I guess I should get a new weapon first.

Alienups

Hmm, i'm not anywhere close to that. Thx.

I'm at a bit of an impasse. I have about 50M gold in the bank but i don't really know what to spend it on. I can farm act3 quite comfortably (though slowly) with only the occasional death against a really nasty pack of elites. My dps is insufficient to farm act 3 with 4 players though, feels like i do nothing except res buff and tank. So maybe i should go WW barb, i dunno.

So what do gaf ?

Here's my barb: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Alien-2348/hero/383350

syllogism

That's kind of a bummer. I was planning on getting a nice triumvirate or some zunis but I guess I should get a new weapon first.
To be more specific, right now it appears to add +x% to your weapon's physical minimum damage. There's a thread about it on bnet forums and a blue post is saying he will ask the devs about it so perhaps they will change it at some point.

Weapon: 900+ DPS, 200+ STR, maybe some Vit if you're into that. Needs 140+ Crt Dmg + Socket. (Maybe a 250+ STR/100+ Vit Skorn?)
*Helmet: Get Andarial's Visage. If you can swing it get one with Res. (9+ mil) or a socket if you care about XP bonus.
Amulet: 150+ STR, and Crt Dmg+Crt % or Crt % + AtkSpd.
*Shoulders: 180+ STR (220+ optimal) some Vit and 60 res.
Belt: 200 STR, 70+ Vit, All Res
Chest: 60+ STR, 150+ Vit, All Res and 3 sockets. Put ALL +46 STR gems in it.
Rings: Yours are fairly decent... TRY to get similar ones (you can compromise STR) but try to add Crit Chance to them, 2+.
Bracers: Get ones with 4%+Crt Chance, 80 STR+, all Res ... Vit optional.
Boots: Aren't terrible, you could probably pick up a huge STR boost though.

Overall, just need to re-focus to be more of a killing machine and less of a MF/GF focus.

* = Cheap upgrades.

(Mine for reference, note I'm not WW and don't sheep it up it terms of build and optimal stats.)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Flawless-1502/hero/8600485
I need to get better bracers (more str) and better pants (more Vit/Res) ... and obvious a similar weapon but 1200+ DPS (I need to win Diablo 3 lottery)

M.D

What carries over when you unlock a new difficulty? does the character level and items carry over?

Is there item binding in this game?

zulux21

Anyone posted incoming nerf to Cinder Trails ?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6470437675#1

I was expecting it to get nerfed, but not the point where it was completely and utterly pointless to use lol.

At it's current damage it's still not a great skill to use. It puts you at direct risk and if you misclick you will die. But it was a fun change of pace of always kiting. It was a little overpowered so I expected it to go down to about 1000% instead of 1500% which would still do decent damage but not melt Elites. At 300% I am not even sure it would melt normal enemies, which given I had to pretty much change my entire skill set to make Vault useable in the first place means it will be going away as it will go from being a fun change of pace to pretty much useless. Oh well lol, I suppose if I want to just destroy inferno I should level up my Barb already.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Not too happy about the Cinders nerf, thankfully I'm at the stage with my DH that I use it mainly for traversal regardless, still it is only every *really* good in Act 1.

zulux21

Not too happy about the Cinders nerf, thankfully I'm at the stage with my DH that I use it mainly for traversal regardless, still it is only every *really* good in Act 1.

I'll just go back to my old build and drop my resistances again lol... I got a better weapon than before so I should be more effective with my old build than when I last played it.

I am finding the fact that the community manager keeps insisting that they meant to have the skill at 300% that it was a bug to make it 1500% annoying though. If the game automatically says the damage and if you put it in wrong that is one thing, but the patch notes are not automatically typed out and that also listed 1500%. Beyond that... if you are trying to set the skill to do 300% damage, would not the first thing you do after you test the change be to see if the skill correctly said 300% damage.... I mean seriously they are either the most incompetent testers ever as they didn't even bother to check that the skill said the amount of damage they wanted or they need to freaken man up and just say "hey we screwed up" which is fine to me, they aren't perfect they make mistakes and I could deal with them nerfing it if they just maned up and said that but this way of pussyfooting... bleh.

syllogism

I'll just go back to my old build and drop my resistances again lol... I got a better weapon than before so I should be more effective with my old build than when I last played it.

I am finding the fact that the community manager keeps insisting that they meant to have the skill at 300% that it was a bug to make it 1500% annoying though. If the game automatically says the damage and if you put it in wrong that is one thing, but the patch notes are not automatically typed out and that also listed 1500%. Beyond that... if you are trying to set the skill to do 300% damage, would not the first thing you do after you test the change be to see if the skill correctly said 300% damage.... I mean seriously they are either the most incompetent testers ever as they didn't even bother to check that the skill said the amount of damage they wanted or they need to freaken man up and just say "hey we screwed up" which is fine to me, they aren't perfect they make mistakes and I could deal with them nerfing it if they just maned up and said that but this way of pussyfooting... bleh.
It's quite likely just a failure to communicate. They did some change to ToC and whoever was in charge of patch notes looked that up or possibly the process was even automated to a degree. It's a pretty easy mistake to make since they changed the format of a lot skills from does x dmg for y seconds to does x dmg over y seconds. They did screw up, but in a manner that is more believable than the stupid "hurr we didn't realize 1500% is a big number and now we are trying desperately to cover it up for no reason at all" theory

Regardless, if we just wanted to nerf Trail of Cinders, we'd just say that we were nerfing it. We've made similar announcements in the past. This particular change is the result of a bug fix, however; if we called it something other than a bug fix, then we'd be lying.

Definity

Had a manticore drop tonight. No extra socket and low dex but still high dps:

ibeRbt6BnFH9vK.png

Going to list this on the AH for 10mil starting / 45mil buy out. Not sure if I will even get that since the dex roll is low??? I see a few bids on similar manticore bows around 8mil with 1 day left.

Zeppelin

Good to see Blizzard nerf ToC into the ground. Instead of keeping it as a viable and fun way to play the game (by doing a slight nerf) they make it completely useless. Their stupidity never cease to amaze.

syllogism

Good to see Blizzard nerf ToC into the ground. Instead of keeping it as a viable and fun way to play the game (by doing a slight nerf) they make it completely useless. Their stupidity never cease to amaze.
It's a discipline based escape skill and it was always viable. Hatred is for damage dealing.

Zeppelin

It's a discipline based escape skill and it was always viable. Hatred is for damage dealing.

Who cares? It was a fun way to play the game. Risk and reward on steroids. The only thing this "fix" accomplishes is to make the game less fun for a lot of people. Just so they can keep saying "hatred is for dealing damage".

Definity

Yeah it kinda sucks they are nerfing ToC but I personally never felt risk while using it. I simply would melt everything on screen and then use preparation and do it all over again and rarely would I die. I suspected there was no way in hell they would leave it at 1500%.

syllogism

Who cares? It was a fun way to play the game. Risk and reward on steroids. The only thing this "fix" accomplishes is to make the game less fun for a lot of people. Just so they can keep saying "hatred is for dealing damage".
It was an escape skill that was also the best damage dealer. Completely broken design. Sure, being extremely powerful can be fun, but it's atrocious design to have a skill like ToC in the game.

larvi

Yeah, figured they were going to nerf ToC, a bit surprised at how much though. All I want for my DH is a build that lets me gear up somewhat defensively so that I don't die in one hit to A3 normals yet still allows me to deal enough damage to take out elites/champs and gobs. Appearently Blizzard doesn't want that.

Smoke Screen

Nether Tentacles

Jagged Spikes

Trail of Cinders

????

Hungering Arrow - "After significant testing, we noticed a bug in which the arrows would pass through targets occasionally and rebound off of walls, potentially hitting the target once again. This was not intended. We realize the tooltip indicated that this was meant to happen, but it was not. The person who wrote the tooltip has been reprimanded severely.

Are you not appreciative?"

Radec

They said ToC currently deals 100% weapon damage per tick on the fire. And the fire ticks 5 times per second. hence the 1500% total dmg. They said it should have just 300% but why is the tooltip says 1500%?

ZenaxPure

Got +194 dex + 75 vit + 30 physical res +55 all res shoulders for 8.5m. Bargain!

Is that the norm for dex gear or is getting that close to 200 on a stat really expensive? I ask as I bought shoulders yesterday for my barb that were 175 str, 89 vit, 64 all resist for 350k. I found the ones with those 3 stats to be relatively cheap, it didn't get super expensive for str ones until I tried to add life %.

Not sure I would ever want to pay an extra 8 million gold for 20 more stat points ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom