• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanathus

Is that the norm for dex gear or is getting that close to 200 on a stat really expensive? I ask as I bought shoulders yesterday for my barb that were 175 str, 89 vit, 64 all resist for 350k. I found the ones with those 3 stats to be relatively cheap, it didn't get super expensive for str ones until I tried to add life %.

Not sure I would ever want to pay an extra 8 million gold for 20 more stat points ;-;

Str is specifically different on shoulders because the Str affix can roll as high as 300 on them.

For a wiz should I be getting as big a weapon as possible or should I be looking for a wand with ap on crit?

I've got enough now for something with 800ish dps, 100 int, and a socket that has AP on crit

Or I can go for something in the 900s for about the same that isn't a wand

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
They nerfed it in 1.04 already, they are just going to bug fix it in 1.05 so the proc rate is in-line with their intentions

I know this is meant as sarcasm, but I was wondering: has the Storm Chaser rune for twister wizards always had that 0.500 proc rate?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I don't know if it's been posted but this is a pretty good website if you want to know the maximum values for stats on items:

http://www.d3maxstats.com/

Nice design, but it's still very much incomplete. Some stats that you cannot normally get on specific slots are supposed to appear if there's a corresponding legendary for it (say, movement speed for lacuni prowlers) but it's not always the case. Not to mention that legendary-only affixes are not searchable.

Until then, might as well use this: http://www.d3rmt.com/guides/diablo-3-item-stat-maximum-values/

Alienups

Weapon: 900+ DPS, 200+ STR, maybe some Vit if you're into that. Needs 140+ Crt Dmg + Socket. (Maybe a 250+ STR/100+ Vit Skorn?)
*Helmet: Get Andarial's Visage. If you can swing it get one with Res. (9+ mil) or a socket if you care about XP bonus.
Amulet: 150+ STR, and Crt Dmg+Crt % or Crt % + AtkSpd.
*Shoulders: 180+ STR (220+ optimal) some Vit and 60 res.
Belt: 200 STR, 70+ Vit, All Res
Chest: 60+ STR, 150+ Vit, All Res and 3 sockets. Put ALL +46 STR gems in it.
Rings: Yours are fairly decent... TRY to get similar ones (you can compromise STR) but try to add Crit Chance to them, 2+.
Bracers: Get ones with 4%+Crt Chance, 80 STR+, all Res ... Vit optional.
Boots: Aren't terrible, you could probably pick up a huge STR boost though.

Overall, just need to re-focus to be more of a killing machine and less of a MF/GF focus.

* = Cheap upgrades.

(Mine for reference, note I'm not WW and don't sheep it up it terms of build and optimal stats.)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Flawless-1502/hero/8600485
I need to get better bracers (more str) and better pants (more Vit/Res) ... and obvious a similar weapon but 1200+ DPS (I need to win Diablo 3 lottery)

Thanks for the tips, already made a big improvement dps wise.

Tom Penny

found my first good rare since patch. Sold for mil. Dont know if itw as to low or not.
Untitled-1.png

That's worth more than a million. Probably considerably more.

Finally my first legendary after patch, but since I only play Monk I am kind of clueless about its worth, I know I could use the AH and search for a similar item but since there is a lot of DH here I might as well ask here, so dis any good?

screenshot00144u3u.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Discipline-based skills were never intended to trump Hatred-based skills when it comes to dealing damage. Instead, Discipline should be something you build up and save to use defensively, or to provide utility in addition to dealing damage. Allowing Trail of Cinders to remain in its current form goes against this philosophy, and in addition creates risky scenarios for players (after all, if you’re incentivized to spend all your Discipline doing damage, it won’t be available when you need it to keep yourself alive with skills like Smoke Screen or Shadow Power).

Dumb. If players want to tweak their character where it goes against the "normal" usage of a character, and is fun to play as well, it is a good thing. It promotes diversity.

Goodbye tank DH, goodbye cinders DH. It's like they only want DH to play one way or something. The class design is too one-dimensional and pigeon-holed as it is already.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
@ sigma: you need more life on hit.

Save money with a low DPS offhand that has 900+ life on hit, and/or a socket, and/or crit damage, and/or str, and/or vit.

Prioritized in that order.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dumb. If players want to tweak their character where it goes against the "normal" usage of a character, and is fun to play as well, it is a good thing. It promotes diversity.

Goodbye tank DH, goodbye cinders DH. It's like they only want DH to play one way or something. The class design is too one-dimensional and pigeon-holed as it is already.

Also...
We also know that players are having fun using Trail of Cinders in their builds, so -- although this is an important issue we want to address -- we're opting to wait for the next client patch to make any adjustments.

Blizzard literally admitting to nerfing the fun out of their game. Oh man.

If it's fun, leave it alone. Jesus... Decrease the damage slightly, or increase the disc cost slightly, but at 300% damage, nobody is going to use it anymore.

syllogism

Also...

Blizzard literally admitting to nerfing the fun out of their game. Oh man.

If it's fun, leave it alone. Jesus... Decrease the damage slightly, or increase the disc cost slightly, but at 300% damage, nobody is going to use it anymore.
It's an escape/defensive skill that also does 300% weapon dps. It's a decent skill if it doesn't do any damage at all.

As for the fun part, doing a lot of damage is fun. No one is disputing that. Archon invulnerability bug was also fun to many. If that was the only goal, they could literally just rng skill dps values and then double them. Would that result in a well designed game with many viable builds? In its current form, there is very little reason not use ToC, let alone the other vault runes. It does much more damage than any similar skill in the game.

For people who just want to mess around with broken skills with little regard to balance and such, torchlight 2 is around the corner and allows you to mod your skills to be as broken as you like.

Dahbomb

I can see both sides to the argument. It is sort of silly that a relatively cheap Discipline using move out DPSs the strongest Hatred using moves.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Looted my third Legendary (Tyreal's Might). Hope I get ~10mil for it...inching ever closer to affording my first upgrade in quite a while.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's an escape/defensive skill that also does 300% weapon dps. It's a decent skill if it doesn't do any damage at all.
It's not a decent skill if no one is going to use it anymore. If it only does 300% damage, then tumble becomes much more attractive, and everyone is just going to go back to using tumble, if they even have vault on their skill bar to begin with.

As for the fun part, doing a lot of damage is fun. No one is disputing that. Archon invulnerability bug was also fun to many. If that was the only goal, they could literally just rng skill dps values and then double them.
You're missing the point a little. Archon invulnerability is obviously a bug.

The high damage of cinders was one aspect of the fun, but it wasn't everything. Another aspect of the fun was the ability to deal damage in a way that was not traditional.

Cinders doesn't give you invulnerability. It's a high risk high reward mechanic. You do lots of damage, but that also requires good positioning and enough survivability that you don't get killed all the time. It requires good discipline management to play properly and effectively.

There are actual pros and cons to the skill that require players to balance the high damage with the danger.

In its current form, there is very little reason not use ToC, let alone the other vault runes. It does much more damage than any similar skill in the game.
There is still a reason to not use cinders. You don't have enough discipline, you don't like being up close, you die too quick, etc. Even in it's buffed state, it's not a "must have" skill like Warcry, One With Everything, or Energy Armor.

It does much more damage than any similar skill in the game.
While having a high resource cost.
While being an indirect damage skill.
While forcing the character into high danger situations.

syllogism

It's entirely possible 300% over 3 seconds isn't the right value, but it's hard to balance a skill that can be used defensively and offensively. You do not even have to use it in a manner that is "high risk". You can use it for its main purpose, kiting, and then it does ridiculous damage in addition to that.

What is, however, clear is that 1500% weapon dps over 3 seconds is way off.

ZenaxPure

Yeesh, people really do overvalue DPS on weapons. Sold a staff with 1300 dps for $35, but uh, the stats.... like 8% ias and 300 int. That's it.

got gang bang in Act 4 hell as my extreme monk. a bad combo of fast and wall and lag and bam. done.

2 levels from the leve 60... fuck.

I've been sa carefull all along and I didn't saw this one coming. Gone in a second... fuck.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You do not even have to use it in a manner that is "high risk". You can use it for its main purpose, kiting, and then it does ridiculous damage in addition to that.
So what? It's not like everyone is running back to play DH in overwhelming numbers.

I didn't dispute that the damage is probably too high. I posted before that slight reductions in damage and/or increases in the disc cost would be better.

If 1500% is too high, 300% is too low. Hardly anyone is going to use it at 300% because tumble becomes a better rune, or you might as well just not use vault at all anymore.

Zeppelin

The high damage of cinders was one aspect of the fun, but it wasn't everything. Another aspect of the fun was the ability to deal damage in a way that was not traditional.

This was the main reason I used Cinders. Sure, the packs pretty much melted when running Act 1 but running Act 3 I died a lot more with Cinders than with my previous build. Cinders just made it fun to play again. Who gives a fuck if I use a defensive skill offensively? It's not about the game making some kind of "sense" and following the arbitrary rules set by some game designer, it's about having fun.

larvi

It's entirely possible 300% over 3 seconds isn't the right value, but it's hard to balance a skill that can be used defensively and offensively. You do not even have to use it in a manner that is "high risk". You can use it for its main purpose, kiting, and then it does ridiculous damage in addition to that.

It only does the full 1500% if someone stands in it for the full 3 seconds which isn't all that common. That was part of the skill and the fun figuring out how to trap and corner your enemies and when to use it for the maximum effect.

But I guess it will be back to fire an arrow, backpeddle, fire an arrow, backpeddle, etc, etc, etc. I guess that's how Blizzard wants the DH to be played. Yawn.

zulux21

So what? It's not like everyone is running back to play DH in overwhelming numbers.

I didn't dispute that the damage is probably too high. I posted before that slight reductions in damage and/or increases in the disc cost would be better.

If 1500% is too high, 300% is too low. Hardly anyone is going to use it at 300% because tumble becomes a better rune, or you might as well just not use vault at all anymore.
as soon as it's nerfed vault will be gone from my character, I have always preferred smoke screen over vault and I personally find it silly to run both so I will just go back to that.

I am not sure if I will keep gloom at all, it's nice and all but it doesn't seem like rapid shot gets any life back, which given that is the main skill I use on elites kind of defeats the main reason I am currently running gloom with the vault :/

Rapstah

The files for what the game rejects as character names seems to be on the client's end and can be extracted using WinMPQ. Once read with Notepad, there's actually unencrypted data for what I am assuming is every banned name in the game. There's also a file for censored swears but it's more or less a smaller selection of the banned names. Here's a small taste of what's banned in there (trying to keep the really nasty ones off here):

• Smeagol
  • Darthjedi
  • Tossalad
  • Christkind
  • Dope
  • Duckbutter
  • Condom
  • Vagina
  • J.* Jameson (implied: all combinations?)
  • Arse
  • Spanish
  • Hitler
  • NPC
  • Redbull

That's about all the fun you can have exploring the game's files. Obviously all the good bits are server side.

While I'm in here I should probably note that I'm co-oping the game with a friend and we beat the Butcher on Hell today. Playing all this content for the third time is getting really annoying, we both find the middle of Act 1 and most of Act 2 to be the worst parts of the game.

Shouta

1500% on TOC was definitely way too much even factoring risk vs reward, it comes out far too much in reward but 300% seems a tad low considering vault isn't invincible. 500% or 750% is probably a lot more fair if it doesn't crit.

Whooter

Hungering Arrow - "After significant testing, we noticed a bug in which the arrows would pass through targets occasionally and rebound off of walls, potentially hitting the target once again. This was not intended. We realize the tooltip indicated that this was meant to happen, but it was not. The person who wrote the tooltip has been reprimanded severely.

Are you not appreciative?"

I fully expect this to happen.

RDreamer

I think I'm on the verge of quitting again. I haven't got much of anything since coming back. I've found 2 items worth more than between 1 and 2 million since I've been playing again. Other than that it's all been beyond terrible. The RNG hates me now. I'm getting more rares but they're all awful. I'm getting 2 handers with no more than 700 dmg, and 1 handers with no more than 400 damage. And I'm also getting a metric ton of level 50 rares in inferno. It's crazy coming here and seeing the stuff you guys are finding...

I'm really enjoying D3 since I just started playing again...but I really dont wanna redo Act I and Act II all over again once I finish normal difficulty...is there anyway of skipping that?

ATM I'm on Act III on normal =) playing a Barbarian solo (since all my other friends are 60, but they hardly play nowadays..still waiting for more "fixes")

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think I'm on the verge of quitting again. I haven't got much of anything since coming back. I've found 2 items worth more than between 1 and 2 million since I've been playing again. Other than that it's all been beyond terrible. The RNG hates me now. I'm getting more rares but they're all awful. I'm getting 2 handers with no more than 700 dmg, and 1 handers with no more than 400 damage. And I'm also getting a metric ton of level 50 rares in inferno. It's crazy coming here and seeing the stuff you guys are finding...

What act are you running, and how long does it take you to find/kill bosses?

RDreamer

What act are you running, and how long does it take you to find/kill bosses?

Act 3. I dunno how long, really, since I don't play by myself. I hop into a game and go. Some games there are elites every 5 steps and others there are less. And it depends on where it puts me, but I'm not really going that slow or anything or that fast. I'm just noticing that I'm not getting anything good compared to before my break. I'm getting way more rares, actually. A ton more, but they're all abysmal. I'm talking just low as hell numbers, mismatched stats, awful dps, and low item levels. Might just be a huge horrible streak of luck.

I'm on paragon level 7 by the way. Nearly to 8. So I guess I haven't played a ton, but I just wish I had found something more substantial.

larvi

Decided to try something different and ran Act 4 for a change and I got 2 legendary drops on the same run, not outstanding but better than my previous legendaries:

a4legen.png

The fix to cinders was completely expected, but I didn't expect them to nerf it back that hard.

Also the whole blue post was ridiculous. It's like they are literally telling people how to play. Oh don't use your discipline any other way than how we intended or else you won't have any left. That's exactly why people were liking this. It could be risky, but also could get you some great results.

A bug. Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom