• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you're jaded to it since you've beaten Act IV Inferno (it's much easier to do so on a Barb than a DH with significantly less gear.) You don't care about progression anymore, and so aren't as invested/attached to him/her. Whereas I'm still working on progression + item hunt, so not directly working towards those goals (e.g. playing other characters that are many hours from being Inferno viable + items which are fleeting at best for those characters and do nothing to help my DH [or my wallet]) seems relatively futile..

Yeah, I could probably brute force myself through the rest of Act 3/4, but it wouldn't be enjoyable.

Xanathus

I think I managed to get the last bid on an IK helm that rolled magic find for like 30 mil before the AH went down for maintenance. Hope that maintenance lasts long enough for that auction to end so I win it. Any ideas on what that is worth?

ZenaxPure

I wouldn't really say that is the case for me. I didn't actually beat inferno until last week, and I wasn't really trying, I was fairly content with farming act 1 and 2 while leveling my Wizard and wd (both were over level 50 before I decided to finish act 3 and 4 on the barb). Actually before I decided to pick up another weapon with LoH and lifesteal (which magically was all it took for me to be competent in Act 3 and 4) I was considering sticking with act 2 farms for the rest of my time with D3.

But again, that's just because I find inferno and level 60 to be not AS fun as the actual leveling experience where you are constantly getting new skills and runes to play with. The only thing that awaits at 60 is inferno and it's an unbalanced mess. It's a cheap gimmick that requires you to get a specific amount of gear before it's playable, and then once you have said gear it feels no different than the other difficulties outside of being forced into 1 or 2 specific specs because they completely outclass the others (As you point out, WW Barb. I can't think of a single other Barb spec where I can do ~130k damage per second infinitely to every enemy around me... with 2 weapons in the 600 DPS range). All sense of experimentation is pretty much gone.

Basically, I don't really think I'm jaded about anything in particular. I find actually playing through the game (specifically the fun combat before inferno) to be engaging and more "endorphin boosting" than the skill-less mess that is inferno. I have a few qualms about the item treadmill as well but I've never in my life played an RPG for the loot so it doesn't really bother me as much as the lack of any fair and fun challenge at level 60.

DSmalls84

Almost Paragon lvl 10 now and still no legendary drops. I know the drops are random but they seem way more infrequent than they should be.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Got some lvl 54 DH legendary cloak.. "Beckon Sail"

1 crit, 7% AS, 64 dex or something and 3 sockets lol....

Gives me like 2.4k extra dps without gemming the sockets but I lose 8.4k life from 45k down to 36kish...

Dropped on Act 3 caves with 5 stacks @ 147MF or so..

Fuck.

Seth C

This game does the worst fucking job I've ever seen at randomizing things. First elite mob is molten? Then 90% of the rest will be until you quit your fucking game. So damned obnoxious. Give me some variety, it's pathetic. Yesterday the game I started had every mob as a waller. The day before they all had arcane. It also gives me insight in to why some people will never see a legendary while others will see 20 of them.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This game does the worst fucking job I've ever seen at randomizing things. First elite mob is molten? Then 90% of the rest will be until you quit your fucking game. So damned obnoxious. Give me some variety, it's pathetic. It also gives me insight in to why some people will never see a legendary while others will see 20 of them.

Just got 3 fucking amulets, 2 lvl 62 and 1 lvl 61 FROM the same mob pack, boss mob dropped 2 and one of his minions dropped 1 lol....

Of course they don't fucking have the proper stat setup or stats :|

diabloiii2012-09-0410ufdfk.png
diabloiii2012-09-04105bd1y.png

diabloiii2012-09-0410otfi8.png

Trickster

Nephalem Valor makes playing any character that isn't 60 a complete chore, as you don't get nearly the amount of endorphin boosts from all the various things that it entails.

Valor stacks before 60 would be totally pointless. You'd get a lot of supremely shit sub 60 rares that'd be worth nothing, and be usable for maybe a handful of levels if you're lucky.

Dahbomb

I get missile dampening packs almost as rarely as legendaries. Yesterday was my first missile dampening pack of 1.04...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I get missile dampening packs almost as rarely as legendaries. Yesterday was my first missile dampening pack of 1.04...
Absolutely love these as a DH now, had one earlier today whiched died as soon as my barrage of arrows hit it all at once. :D fun fun

Trickster

...as opposed to the sub-60 blue items that are completely worthless and UNUSABLE at any level?

Not really. you can find usable magic items while leveling a character pretty easily.

My point is that sub 60 rares are not exciting at all. They're not worth anything, and you can pretty much always find a much better item for 10k gold on the AH. So what would be the point of valor below 60?

Radec

With a ruby on helm and -lvl req weapons, leveling upto 60 is super fast anyway. I ended Hell on my Barb and still level 52 lol, then just repeat act 3-4 and easy 60.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
This game does the worst fucking job I've ever seen at randomizing things. First elite mob is molten? Then 90% of the rest will be until you quit your fucking game. So damned obnoxious. Give me some variety, it's pathetic. Yesterday the game I started had every mob as a waller. The day before they all had arcane. It also gives me insight in to why some people will never see a legendary while others will see 20 of them.

I did notice that sometimes I'm quite lucky with elite packs, other times not, but for some aspects of the game I believe it's merely completely random or close to.

That said, your experience and that of some other people here (like that son of a ghom Pyromaniac ;() makes me really curious. It's a shame we'll never know how the system works because that would involve Blizzard pretty much revealing all their tricks to potential competitors, but still, some of it is really odd. I hope Blizzard reworks some of it eventually and tells us what was wrong in broad terms at least.

Seth C

Not really. you can find usable magic items while leveling a character pretty easily.

My point is that sub 60 rares are not exciting at all. They're not worth anything, and you can pretty much always find a much better item for 10k gold on the AH. So what would be the point of valor below 60?

I question how that is any different than the game I'm playing, at level 60 with 5 stacks of NV and +300% MF.

Trickster

I question how that is any different than the game I'm playing, at level 60 with 5 stacks of NV and +300% MF.

Well, I'm not saying it's terribly exciting to have valor stacks at 60 either :p

Rares are so horribly useless 99.999% of the time on inferno. Even more so now that legendaries are what people want, and those things are also absurdly rare. The whole system in diablo 3 is pretty shit in general tbh.

Seth C

Well, I'm not saying it's terribly exciting to have valor stacks at 60 either :p

Rares are so horribly useless 99.999% of the time on inferno. Even more so now that legendaries are what people want, and those things are also absurdly rare. The whole system in diablo 3 is pretty shit in general tbh.

Yeah but your view of "useless" and mine are probably quite different. I've still not found a single item good enough to sell on the auction house for any price. Which makes the game damned near impossible. Even if I wanted to buy something from the auction house I can't because I will never, ever have enough money to do so.

MrDaravon

Post-patch are there any stand out pieces of equipments that are must haves for end-game Demon Hunters now? Pre-patch there was a pretty good thread on bnet for recommended DH gear, but post patch I have no idea now. Trying to figure out if there are specific set pieces or Legendaries to go for what they will cost; trying to figure out whether or not it's going to be worth it to sell that amulet I posted on the last page and try to get 75-100 million for it, or if I'd be better off keeping it and using it. Amulet in question: http://i.imgur.com/NnzCL.png

I decided to go ahead and equip the amulet; looking at my gear it seemed like the main thing I desperately needed to upgrade was my gloves (had no aps/crit%/crit dmg), which I could get a decent pair for fairly cheap. On the other than any other major upgrades seemed to be very expensive, and even if sold the amulet I'd only be able to afford maybe 2 of them, which I don't think would have been the trade-off. So I just spent like 1 million (about broke right now) and got some gloves with APS and Crit % on them which boosted my Damage up by like 6k.

Bumping though because I would still like to know if there's any particular DH gear that's desired now. I am looking pretty much at the new Nat set, or is there anything else worth saving up for specifically? I'm thinking my next needed upgrades are to get either a chest piece with Max Disc, or a quiver with added Crit chance (already have Max Disc on my current one). But I'm not sure if I should be going for the Nat chestpiece or not, and I have no idea if there's new desirable quivers or not now. My gear is here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MrDaravon-1289/hero/11983827

My Resistances kinda blow (around 300), but I'm finding more and more that doesn't seem to really matter much as a DH.

tjohn86

Yeah but your view of "useless" and mine are probably quite different. I've still not found a single item good enough to sell on the auction house for any price. Which makes the game damned near impossible. Even if I wanted to buy something from the auction house I can't because I will never, ever have enough money to do so.

Bullshit. Always have 10 auctions up. Sell stuff for 10k if you have too.

We could also just let people start at lvl 60 I guess, skip the leveling process completely if people hate it soo much I guess.

It's the main reason I don't have another character besides my monk. I play the game to get awesome gear and make my character as good as possible. I'm just imagining going 1-60 again with another character and it seems so so so tedious. I mean ... grinding is already tedious, but grinding to grind?

I should have done the ZK power level before the nerf.

Dahbomb

I don't know I kinda like having limited skillsets to choose from and make work early on. I actually think the 1-59 level experience in D3 is great because every level you are getting something new to play with in terms of skills. You are not tied down by loot or items because what you get from vendors and just regular drops is more than good enough most of the time. It's all paced well. Of course doing this more than once with a particular class would get old but this is almost entirely where the fun of my game has come from. If your sole focus in the game is to just get loot to sell in the AH then levels 1-59 is a massive waste of your time.

I think 4 difficulties was a mistake especially now that Inferno is just a Hell+ mode.

Trickster

It's the main reason I don't have another character besides my monk. I play the game to get awesome gear and make my character as good as possible. I'm just imagining going 1-60 again with another character and it seems so so so tedious. I mean ... grinding is already tedious, but grinding to grind?

I don't really know how to respond to your post. I mean you admit grinding is tedious, so why even play diablo 3. All there is to do atm, is grinding. You're not gonna automatically get amazing gear just because you got your character up to lvl 60. Now you just gotta start a new (and much, much longer) grinding phase.

Vossler

Agree with this entirely....I have a level 2 wizard, but have no desire to slog through the lower levels.

mlaz14

I decided to go ahead and equip the amulet; looking at my gear it seemed like the main thing I desperately needed to upgrade was my gloves (had no aps/crit%/crit dmg), which I could get a decent pair for fairly cheap. On the other than any other major upgrades seemed to be very expensive, and even if sold the amulet I'd only be able to afford maybe 2 of them, which I don't think would have been the trade-off. So I just spent like 1 million (about broke right now) and got some gloves with APS and Crit % on them which boosted my Damage up by like 6k.

Bumping though because I would still like to know if there's any particular DH gear that's desired now. I am looking pretty much at the new Nat set, or is there anything else worth saving up for specifically? I'm thinking my next needed upgrades are to get either a chest piece with Max Disc, or a quiver with added Crit chance (already have Max Disc on my current one). But I'm not sure if I should be going for the Nat chestpiece or not, and I have no idea if there's new desirable quivers or not now. My gear is here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MrDaravon-1289/hero/11983827

My Resistances kinda blow (around 300), but I'm finding more and more that doesn't seem to really matter much as a DH.

Maybe a Dead Man's Legacy though the really good ones cost a lot. I was saving up for one but then I saw the quiver I have now last night. Realized it would take almost a perfect roll on everything to beat the dps increase my new one would provide not including the potential EA/HA bonus I would want on one. Decided it wasn't worth it to get since I don't really need the vit because I already rarely die more than once or twice in a full act 3 clear not to mention the at least 100+mil to get one with at least 6-7 discipline on it.

My old quiver was my weakest piece so now I guess I'll just try and find a helm with at least equal stats with a socket.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DTFFTB-1633/hero/13902955

MrDaravon

Maybe a Dead Man's Legacy though the really good ones cost a lot. I was saving up for one but then I saw the quiver I have now last night. Realized it would take almost a perfect roll on everything to beat the dps increase my new one would provide not including the potential EA/HA bonus I would want on one. Decided it wasn't worth it to get since I don't really need the vit because I already rarely die more than once or twice in a full act 3 clear not to mention the at least 100+mil to get one with at least 6-7 discipline on it.

My old quiver was my weakest piece so now I guess I'll just try and find a helm with at least equal stats with a socket.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DTFFTB-1633/hero/13902955

Your character names lol

I don't really know how to respond to your post. I mean you admit grinding is tedious, so why even play diablo 3. All there is to do atm, is grinding. You're not gonna automatically get amazing gear just because you got your character up to lvl 60. Now you just gotta start a new (and much, much longer) grinding phase.

You missed the part where I said grinding to grind? I said I play the game to build a sweet character and get good drops. Grinding is what it is, but at least right now I can find items that I'll keep and be proud of. Nothing pre 60 fits that description since the gear you acquire is useless in a couple of levels and can now be bought cheap on the AH. It's a grind just to get to the real grind.

For me, the game doesn't start until 60 after the first play through. I remember feeling this way even on my monk while he was in hell and people were playing inferno. I can see the argument that forcing the player to go through 1-60 with each class will help them learn about the skillset of each class, but that's about it. Otherwise it's a completely useless grind without even the possibility of a quality item.

syllogism

EU AH is so dead, been trying to sell a 1178 dps 2h cbow with 122 dex, 62 crit, socket for a week. Surely that should be worth 25-35m at least still

People are clearly playing quite a bit, but no one is buying anything

e: finally sold a 888 dps devil tongue that had 47 crit, socket, 236 str, 46 vit (+dex+int) for 25m...

EU AH is so dead, been trying to sell a 1178 dps 2h cbow with 122 dex, 62 crit, socket for a week. Surely that should be worth 25-35m at least still

e: finally sold a 888 dps devil tongue that had 47 crit, socket, 236 str, 46 vit (+dex+int) for 25m...

Everyone says the EU AH is weird.

THe US AH isn't much better though. I can't sell a sword with 700 DPS, 120 STR, 40 Crit and a socket for 100K.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

The DH weapon market is extremely flooded at the moment in EU, I wouldn't bet much on a sub 1200 dps xbow that isn't a Manticore going for much these days when Manticores with those stats aren't far off the 30 mil mark themselves.

People may be playing, but those people mostly already have their mid-top/end game gear and are seemingly only after the very best. I've also, anecdotally mind you, seen lots of under geared people in public games/levellers so maybe in a little while there will be more people in the market for weapon upgrades again.

syllogism

The DH weapon market is extremely flooded at the moment in EU, I wouldn't bet much on a sub 1200 dps xbow that isn't a Manticore going for much these days when Manticores with those stats aren't far off the 30 mil mark themselves.
It's pretty much the cheapest similar crossbow there is. Of course, many people will rather save for a good manticore but those are quite expensive. Anyway, it's not just the DH market, but it's difficult to sell anything even when underpricing. Not that surprised as I'm sitting on a pile of gold and not spending any

So if the game gets to a point where no one buys anything except for the top top teir stuff where does the game go? I feel like we are almost there.

I love the introduction of paragon levels, but it almost ensures no one plays anything but their main character or possibly two. That, of course, only exacerbates the problem.

Increasing drop rates only helps the issue temporarily since each new upgrade ensures the next is tougher to aquire.

Paragon is nice because it gives us soemthing to shoot for beyond just gear, but the real reason we like paragon is that it makes aquiring gear easier. If you get to a point when aquiring new gear is near impossible, who cares about getting paragon higher?

I also like the idea of an endless dungoen with increasing difficulties on each level or two. I guess I have a couple goals, but all are gear oriented. Get 12% moving speed on boots, get socket in helm, get matching set piece for my main. It would be nice to have a goal that's difficulty oriented. Like taking pride in making it to a certain level in the dungoen.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
So if the game gets to a point where no one buys anything except for the top top teir stuff where does the game go? I feel like we are almost there.

I love the introduction of paragon levels, but it almost ensures no one plays anything but their main character or possibly two. That, of course, only exacerbates the problem.

Increasing drop rates only helps the issue temporarily since each new upgrade ensures the next is tougher to aquire.

Paragon is nice because it gives us soemthing to shoot for beyond just gear, but the real reason we like paragon is that it makes aquiring gear easier. If you get to a point when aquiring new gear is near impossible, who cares about getting paragon higher?

I also like the idea of an endless dungoen with increasing difficulties on each level or two. I guess I have a couple goals, but all are gear oriented. Get 12% moving speed on boots, get socket in helm, get matching set piece for my main. It would be nice to have a goal that's difficulty oriented. Like taking pride in making it to a certain level in the dungoen.

Paragon levels need to be account wide and paragon experience should be generated on characters under level 60. The economy needs people to play alts. Badly.

Tom Penny

This game officially hates me. I've been farming act 3 and I'm at paragon 16. I've had 2 legendaries drop...both the gibberish stone from the ice cave that you can't even use WTF anyone need one lol !!!

kennah

This game officially hates me. I've been farming act 3 and I'm at paragon 16. I've had 2 legendaries drop...both the gibberish stone from the ice cave that you can't even use WTF anyone need one lol !!!

They're account bound, you can't even give it away :(

Revoh

Does anyone know how can I bypass the ports that the game uses? I've installed the game on my work's pc (lol, keep it quiet) but it seems that only port 80 is open. Diablo uses TCP 1119 IIRC.

Awesome !!!

It's not even a real legendary. The made them the same color as a real legendary because people complained that they missed the item when trying to build the staff, or just tossed the staff because it was a white item as well. I don't remember what patch it was changed in, but it's thrown me for a couple loops as well.

The one that ALWAYS gets me is the "blood stained letter" in the keeps level one. That green gets me almost everytime.

turnbuckle

Everyone says the EU AH is weird.

THe US AH isn't much better though. I can't sell a sword with 700 DPS, 120 STR, 40 Crit and a socket for 100K.

They really need to do something about skills being based on weapon damage. Some skills should be based on specific attributes or something. Basically for my barb when looking for an item, I put in criteria for a socket, life on hit, and perhaps crit damage depending on how the other results look.

Then sort by DPS. Anything under 900 for 1-handers I generally ignore now, anything under 1400 for 2 handers I generally ignore. Sure there are plenty of great weapons below those values, but my next upgrade I want to feel like an upgrade. Not like a small bump for a few million.

Other stats that get put on the gear are nice, and if I'm considering a few they certainly are considered, but DPS is king it seems.

Paragon levels need to be account wide and paragon experience should be generated on characters under level 60. The economy needs people to play alts. Badly.

Yup. It's been said a bunch of times now and it's very clear this needs to be done. It would encourage alt-making, improve the economy, improve the fun, and not lock players so much into a single character. My barb is almost paragon 24. I want to play monk, but no way I'm doing that now.

After killing Diablo on inferno a couple days ago and not getting a single rare drop while my friend got 3 rares (all lower than ilvl 60) I think I am starting to get to that point where the game has worn out on me. Fun game, but the last act is awful and I find myself grinding for experience which is even less fun than doing the grind for gear. But the gear drops are by and large so useless that I get better upgrades by leveling than by getting drops.

They really need to do something about skills being based on weapon damage. Some skills should be based on specific attributes or something. Basically for my barb when looking for an item, I put in criteria for a socket, life on hit, and perhaps crit damage depending on how the other results look.

Then sort by DPS. Anything under 900 for 1-handers I generally ignore now, anything under 1400 for 2 handers I generally ignore. Sure there are plenty of great weapons below those values, but my next upgrade I want to feel like an upgrade. Not like a small bump for a few million.

Other stats that get put on the gear are nice, and if I'm considering a few they certainly are considered, but DPS is king it seems.

Yup. It's been said a bunch of times now and it's very clear this needs to be done. It would encourage alt-making, improve the economy, improve the fun, and not lock players so much into a single character. My barb is almost paragon 24. I want to play monk, but no way I'm doing that now.

After killing Diablo on inferno a couple days ago and not getting a single rare drop while my friend got 3 rares (all lower than ilvl 60) I think I am starting to get to that point where the game has worn out on me. Fun game, but the last act is awful and I find myself grinding for experience which is even less fun than doing the grind for gear. But the gear drops are by and large so useless that I get better upgrades by leveling than by getting drops.

I like that idea. I figured the sword would sell even at below 800-900 DPS because it had strength too and native crit dmg with socket. Guess not. If skills are based on primary stat, it would give people a reason to gear items besides just DPS.

I also agree with paragon being an account wide thing. I'm not at all motivated to get more characters to 60, but paragon just reinforces that for me.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
I like that idea. I figured the sword would sell even at below 800-900 DPS because it had strength too and native crit dmg with socket. Guess not. If skills are based on primary stat, it would give people a reason to gear items besides just DPS.

I also agree with paragon being an account wide thing. I'm not at all motivated to get more characters to 60, but paragon just reinforces that for me.

I just think that if it was account wide AND people could earn paragon experience on alts (after they have one character at 60) then you'd have a lot more people playing alts and actually buying good items at fair prices. Right now with very few alts playing people are only interested in the very best items.

scy

Well, for what it's worth, Barbs are a little pickier with weapon types due to Weapons Master.

So there's that at least. I guess.

I just think that if it was account wide AND people could earn paragon experience on alts (after they have one character at 60) then you'd have a lot more people playing alts and actually buying good items at fair prices. Right now with very few alts playing people are only interested in the very best items.

I agree with this completely. While I love paragon as it makes a fruitless run feel less ... fruitless, it doesn't come without negative effects. Mainly that people only play their mains and mid / lower teir inferno items aren't moving at all anymore.

I would have easily made 15 million over last week a month ago. I made 5 and that's only after slashing prices on items A LOT.

turnbuckle

I agree with this completely. While I love paragon as it makes a fruitless run feel less ... fruitless, it doesn't come without negative effects. Mainly that people only play their mains and mid / lower teir inferno items aren't moving at all anymore.

I would have easily made 15 million over last week a month ago. I made 5 and that's only after slashing prices on items A LOT.

A part of the problem may be our expectations for the economy. Since this isn't an mmo with lots of post game content, once the hard core get their upgrades there is less of a market to sell stuff to. Buying a new piece of gear makes everything less than that gear worthless for that player. With nothing to bring new blood into the game the market is bound to saturate. Still plenty playing but you have to be more patient nowadays.

I hate that this game is kind of feeling like a Trojan horse to wow. I vowed never to play an mmo again but the post game of Diablo is leaving me wanting more.

They really need to do an endless dungeon/tower thing with rankings and leader boards and aestetic awards and such. Something to keep the treadmill going longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom