• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Finally my luck turned around a little. Got this as a drop. I know it isn't 250m worthy, but it was a nice upgrade on what I was using before.

Screenshot018.jpg

EU AH is soooo wonky. I had this barb belt I was selling for cheaper and cheaper every two days. Down to 49k instant buy. Nothing. So I put it one last time, 25k, bid only.

Suddenly, it's getting bid from all over the place and it's now 2M. and one day to go.

WTF.

Are there any better areas to farm exp for paragon than Crypt of anciencts ?

I can get around 18-20kk per hour in crypt but maybe there's some similar area in later acts.

Revoh

With that much STR, you can easily slot VIT in your other pieces to make up the difference.

Yeah, that's what I thought before buying it, considering a similar shoulder with just a little bit of vitality costs more than triple of what I have paid. Not worth the price IMO. I can just spend that money on a godly chest with sockets and put vit gems on it.

You can click on his name and check his stats and items.

Anyway this might be some clue:

Dexterity: 2744
Vitality: 1095
Attacks per Second: 2.68
Critical Hit Chance: 52.00%
Critical Damage: 542.00%

and that's second place ;)

Celegus

I'd be pretty pumped to hit 50k on my barb. I'm only at 30k or so, and my resists are crap too - only 350 each. Everything is so expensive and I never know what to upgrade. :/

I stumbled my way through Act 3 but get destroyed in Act 4.

Revoh

Yesterday was a good day for my barb.
I'm slowly transitioning from a pure tank to a high DPS barb

Yesterday upgrades:
Picked this up for 500k
N8ga6.png

Found this in act 3 -- It's a temporal glove, boosted my DPS by 7k but I would like something with AR or more vit later on:
D3mFF.png

Bought for this for 18M (lol)
hcDrE.png

Now I'm at 37K DPS unbuffed. Was 22ishK before these items
Still ways to go, I'm focusing on new pants and chest now

Sigmaah

Buy your gear like most of these Uber player builds. I see dudes with one character a few thousand elite kills with gear that would cost almost a billion in gold.

so spend real money on my gear? hmm, I just might...

SIKE FUCK THAT SHIT. Only reason I'll ever do that is if I put an auction up for blizz bucks.

Sarye

Yesterday was a good day for my barb.
I'm slowly transitioning from a pure tank to a high DPS barb

Yesterday upgrades:
Picked this up for 500k
N8ga6.png

Now I'm at 37K DPS unbuffed. Was 22ishK before these items
Still ways to go, I'm focusing on new pants and chest now

What is 11% more fire damage taken? Does that mean exactly what it reads? Seems like a terrible stat since a lot of damage in the game is fire.

How is your survivability? I am able to farm act 3 though slowly with 30K DPS buffed. But I can't imagine losing more vit and all resist right now.. Hoping to slowly increase everything as I'm pretty balanced now.

turnbuckle

I can't seem to make a WW barb work. Anyone with success with the build have any tips? What should I be shooting for in regards to crit rate, damage, main hand/off hand damage, crit damage, attack speed, life, resistance, etc?

Also, I know the basic skills/runes to set up but how often should I be hitting the sprint button? Every 4 seconds?

I'm just not regaining enough life, taking too much damage, not dealing enough damage it seems. It's frustrating. :(

Revoh

What is 11% more fire damage taken? Does that mean exactly what it reads? Seems like a terrible stat since a lot of damage in the game is fire.

How is your survivability? I am able to farm act 3 though slowly with 30K DPS buffed. But I can't imagine losing more vit and all resist right now.. Hoping to slowly increase everything as I'm pretty balanced now.

11% more fire taken is exactly that, yeap.
That stat goes up to something like 30%.
Haven't really tested my survivability yet, but I guess it won't be anything like it used to be when I was at 55k life, 1200 AR, 12ishk armor (but 12k DPS buffed). Playing a pure tank barb is boring as hell though

Sarye

I can't seem to make a WW barb work. Anyone with success with the build have any tips? What should I be shooting for in regards to crit rate, damage, main hand/off hand damage, crit damage, attack speed, life, resistance, etc?

Also, I know the basic skills/runes to set up but how often should I be hitting the sprint button? Every 4 seconds?

I'm just not regaining enough life, taking too much damage, not dealing enough damage it seems. It's frustrating. :(

I hate the WW barb build.. takes too much effort and if I hit a bad pack it's all over. Do you have a link to your equipment so far? Would help to give you suggestions.

In general you want:
a lot of all resist.. (depending on where you want to farm I would say 500-600 base)
crit chance +25% at least,
high dps 900+ on main (some people have gotten away with less)
LOH combined as much as you can but at least +1000

Have you tried a Rend build? They buffed it a lot post 1.04 patch and I didn't have to change much to use it.. plus it's pretty good for the lazy me

Dahbomb

You don't say.
http://dd.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/yrwd0/monk_top_skills_used_by_25_highest_paragon_level/

5 of the active skills are a lock. 2 of the passives are a staple as well..
ROFL...

Wave of Light (first rune) is solid now but if you have high crit chance 7ss is better. EP is fun too. I play a dodge Monk so a lot of my dps in large groups comes from Backlash but of course I don't have top tier dps gear so I have to put some skills towards defense.

The Barb skill chart looks the same as well. All 25 are ww barbs.

turnbuckle

I hate the WW barb build.. takes too much effort and if I hit a bad pack it's all over. Do you have a link to your equipment so far? Would help to give you suggestions.

In general you want:
a lot of all resist.. (depending on where you want to farm I would say 500-600 base)
crit chance +25% at least,
high dps 900+ on main (some people have gotten away with less)
LOH combined as much as you can but at least +1000

Have you tried a Rend build? They buffed it a lot post 1.04 patch and I didn't have to change much to use it.. plus it's pretty good for the lazy me

The gear I have on my guy right now according to the site isn't what I have now, but that's what's frustrating - I pretty much had that criteria and more. I hate to say it's a lack of skill since I'm generally pretty good imo, but that's about all I can think of.

I'll try a rend build, got any good links? Link to your character?

Revoh

The gear I have on my guy right now according to the site isn't what I have now, but that's what's frustrating - I pretty much had that criteria and more. I hate to say it's a lack of skill since I'm generally pretty good imo, but that's about all I can think of.

Rend is amazing now, I'd say kinda OP.
Make sure to use the rune that heals you, there's nothing more rewarding (and cheap) than using rend in the middle of a pack of monsters while you're almost dead, then sprint away and heal up while doing tons of damage to them.

VoxPop

It took me a bit of getting used to but I'm clearing A3 in 45 min with no problems now. I think an important thing to do is set a move key (i use space) to move instead of aimlessly clicking and wasting fury with WW. Using your sprint in between WWs moderately to get the most out of it and conserving fury instead of constantly turning it on constantly is also key

turnbuckle

Rend is amazing now, I'd say kinda OP.
Make sure to use the rune that heals you, there's nothing more rewarding (and cheap) than using rend in the middle of a pack of monsters while you're almost dead, then sprint away and heal up while doing tons of damage to them.

I was actually using that earlier to get through act 3 with a friend and that's what I used to down Diablo in Act IV, but in both instances my friend was carrying the DPS load. I was hoping to find a way to provide a bit more punch and be able to solo it all myself, so I went on an exp farming binge for a week to get to paragon 24. I think if I go back to that build now and tweak it to be like other builds people are using I could have some success. I'm sitting on about 15 million gold and have another $15 in blizz bucks.

I have a 1540 DPS mighty weapon (groan) with 1100ish life on hit. Not sure if I should use that or something with higher crit damage. Or if I should dual wield. I'd think a big 2 hander would work better for more damage on the rends, but I'm not sure really. :p

Sarye

Rend does 700% of weapon damage so the higher dps the better.. Most rend users use a 2hander but I have no money so =\

As you can see my stats is pretty terrible but I am able to do alright... maybe die 1-2 times doing azmodan runs from an unlucky elite pack. Your equipment is probably even better..

Fully buffed I do about 29k damage.. leap to run and reset if things go bad or if I get stuck... WOTB for those packs that has a lot of status like frost and fear... wish I can include ignore pain too but that's why I'm testing out Relentless to see if the 50% reduction can replace ignore pain... (so far it doesn't do it well.. tho I can tank Az when he does everything to me with it)

You'll notice that I don't even use revenge now as rend heals me adequately enough
I'm playing around with the passives right now so not sure which one will stick..

I was actually using that earlier to get through act 3 with a friend and that's what I used to down Diablo in Act IV, but in both instances my friend was carrying the DPS load. I was hoping to find a way to provide a bit more punch and be able to solo it all myself, so I went on an exp farming binge for a week to get to paragon 24. I think if I go back to that build now and tweak it to be like other builds people are using I could have some success. I'm sitting on about 15 million gold and have another $15 in blizz bucks.

I have a 1540 DPS mighty weapon (groan) with 1100ish life on hit. Not sure if I should use that or something with higher crit damage. Or if I should dual wield. I'd think a big 2 hander would work better for more damage on the rends, but I'm not sure really. :p
whoa.. 1540 DPS.. I would say just try it out... test different builds with what you have... don't spend any money yet. You may be surprised what you can do without forcing yourself into a specific build. Once you find something you like, then you can start upgrading your pieces slowly. crit damage is nice but not entirely needed on a Rend build.

Jrmint

So I've been leveling a WD and holy cow they are fun to level since the patch.

I've never seen people talk much about Firebomb but that spell is crazy fun with a twink character, and looks awesome. What's the best rune for it?

Acid Cloud is also amazing.

I'm just finishing normal currently so we'll see what I have to switch around as I progress.

Rufus

Firebomb runes? Whichever makes it bounce between multiple enemies. I forget the name.

Thing is: WD was fun before, it was just at Inferno (at the latest) that he fell apart.

lordy88

Nice, more beta testing.

Seriously, I tremendously dislike this attitude of 'Jesus, they're trying to improve this game TOO LATE.' While I understand that this type of scrutiny is a direct result of players simply wanting the game to live up to their standards, this type of talk is simply counter-productive to your own desires. All it does is cast a negative light around the game and grants encouragement for developers to desist efforts to improve the game.

Why? How many developers in the industry work this hard to continuously improve a game months after launch? They are doing the very best they can to make this entertainment the very best in its class FOR YOU, and you simply spit in their face for trying to appease you.

Go away with your hate. Please.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

Rend is awesome. I sprint through a bunch of stuff and LoH and Fury starts building (Battle Rage), Rend and move on to the next pack while the stuff with Rend just dies somewhere behind me. One application of Rend kills almost any white mob and I'm only using a 1350dps weapon. I usually mix in a few Bashes so that the Punish stack stays up and increases tornado and Rend damage by 24% most of the time. Damage output is just ridiculous. Usually get Rend on like 10 things simultaneously...incredible AoE and healing.

Sax_Man

Banned
So I've been looking at some of the top tier Whirlwind barbs and I'm extremely confused.

I understand that the tornados from sprint use only the damage on the main hand weapon. However, I still see a ton of extremely rich barbs using an off-hand with great stats, but absolutely shit damage. This even goes for people with builds who have all the money in existence - and could probably sacrifice a handful of crit percentage points or life on hit in order to have an off-hand that actually has respectable DPS.

Why would someone want an off-hand that has 200DPS, 90% crit, 500 life on hit, and a socket, over an off-hand that has maybe 20% less crit but a whole lot more DPS? After all, Sprint is only one skill. Aren't you gimping yourself big time on pretty much every other ability? Do these barbs just sprint and not really care about whirlwind or fury generator damage?

ZenaxPure

Profile link?

My general advice is this, though. If you can reach ~35k dps with battle rage, DPS-wise you have enough to kill everything in the game. As for making sure you survive: make sure both weapons have LoH, and then try to get LoH on your rings and amulet (though if you need higher dps it's fine to drop LoH on either a ring or amulet, I currently do not have any on my neck piece). Ideally for weapons you find something with LoH, crit damage, and a socket (for more crit damage). After that str, vit, and life steal are all nice to have as well.

To answer your sprint question, just make sure sprint is up 100% of the time while WWing. If you don't have the fury to do it then just stop WWing and use your primary attack to build up max fury quickly and then start again.

For comparison my barb. I never spent more than 800k on any of those items individually, WW barb is very cheap to make work. Each piece of gear has the stats I'd recommend for the most part, rings and amulet can be really flexible but otherwise it's fairly straightforward on what to use where.

If you can reach ~35k DPS with battle rage, ~1500 LoH, around 350 all resist unbuffed, and any extra lifesteal from other pieces, you have enough stats to farm quickly with a WW barb.

Why would someone want an off-hand that has 200DPS, 90% crit, 500 life on hit, and a socket, over an off-hand that has maybe 20% less crit but a whole lot more DPS? After all, Sprint is only one skill. Aren't you gimping yourself big time on pretty much every other ability? Do these barbs just sprint and not really care about whirlwind or fury generator damage?

I would honestly say they probably just don't care. If you can reach a point where you are comfortable with how fast enemies die you will not bother upgrading your gear even if it's possible.

turnbuckle

Seriously, I completely agree with you, and I tremendously dislike this attitude of 'Jesus, they're trying to improve this game TOO LATE.' While I understand that this type of scrutiny is a direct result of players simply wanting the game to live up to their standards, this type of talk is simply counter-productive to your own desires. All it does is cast a negative light around the game and grants encouragement for developers to desist efforts to improve the game.

Why? How many developers in the industry work this hard to continuously improve a game months after launch? They are doing the very best they can to make this entertainment the very best in its class FOR YOU, and you simply spit in their face for trying to appease you.

Go away with your hate. Please.

Thank you. You don't have to be a blizzard apologist to respect that they continually make tweaks to the game in an effort to make the product better. Sometimes they'll miss, but I appreciate the attention they continue to put into it. Of course it's in their best interests to do so since they want to make money, but anything that makes them money by increasing the demand for gamers ends up being good for both parties. We can criticize all day about things that should be fixed, but criticizing them trying to fix things just sounds like people want to have a reason to hate. Maybe the changes will be bad and they should be criticized, but we should be encouraging of a dev that strives to get just a little bit closer to perfection.

sleepykyo

Aren't you gimping yourself big time on pretty much every other ability? Do these barbs just sprint and not really care about whirlwind or fury generator damage?

I think most of the skills are based on your dps rating. So the offhand only hurts on the second swing of bash, other swing of frenzy.

Tom Penny

Anyone running a cyclone crit build monk I highly recommend you buy a socket Won Khim. On paper it won't say you dps is much better but It's very clear when you play. Mobs melt. Pair that with a fist of thunder increase damage helm and it's just awesome. Shouldn't cost you a total arm and a leg either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom