• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinNL

I roll with Piercing Orb, Star Pact, Arcane Hydra, Tele Calamity, Diamond Skin and Crit Mass.
How's Star Pact? I've tried all the meteors while leveling because that was my original theorycrafted build, but I think the aiming issue isn't worth the damage output. Is it mainly a situational skill for you, whereas Orb and Hydra is your main bread and butter?

My original plan was:

Teleport or Mirror images
Diamond Skin
Slow Time (increase AS rune)
Energy Armor
Living Lightning
Meteor (Comet, ice rune)

Idea was to stack up AS and crit chance as much as possible. Then by spamming living lightning and using the affix 'arcane power on crit', you're fed so much arcane it's possible to hold the Comet key as long as living lightning is on the field. With Slow Time and the fact that Comet also slows, additional meteors should be easier to aim than a regular meteor build.

Passives are Prodigy and Critical Mass.

Problem I had with this build: damage output isn't that amazing to be worth all the setup you have to do in order to make the endless meteors hit. Also forced to stack critical chance to over 40% and stack at least 18+ arcane power on crit in order to do the endless feed. This is quite the problem on weapons, because arcane power on crit only exists on wands, so the attack speed isn't that great. There are 2 legendaries that do compare to an AS dagger rare: however, to get crit dmg on them with a socket is near impossible (if it even exists). Thus damage output is lower, just to make arcane power on crit work.

I was just testing some variations just now and can't decide. For now I'll keep the Archon build I currently have. I really don't feel like using Piercing Orb + Hydra, which feels very standard to me with no synergy between the skills.

ShinNL

Hey guys I was on the Diablo Podcast.

Have a listen and give me some feedback please :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks2yIiPbCBs&feature=player_embedded
Interesting discussion. I heard 2 things that peaked my interest:

1. Economy is being filled with items.
2. Upgrading low level legendaries to address their suckiness.

Then a light bulb occurred:

You can upgrade all legendaries and the final form with the best stats (say ilvl64) is account-bound. This way items will be sucked out of the economy, at the same time still give players to option to sell what they use.

ElyrionX

Just bought this for 11.99 on the RMAH:

qjCyT.png

Yes, it came with that gem in it. And yes, that gem currently sells for 12.10 or so on the RMAH.

ElyrionX

How's Star Pact? I've tried all the meteors while leveling because that was my original theorycrafted build, but I think the aiming issue isn't worth the damage output. Is it mainly a situational skill for you, whereas Orb and Hydra is your main bread and butter?

My original plan was:

Teleport or Mirror images
Diamond Skin
Slow Time (increase AS rune)
Energy Armor
Living Lightning
Meteor (Comet, ice rune)

Idea was to stack up AS and crit chance as much as possible. Then by spamming living lightning and using the affix 'arcane power on crit', you're fed so much arcane it's possible to hold the Comet key as long as living lightning is on the field. With Slow Time and the fact that Comet also slows, additional meteors should be easier to aim than a regular meteor build.

Passives are Prodigy and Critical Mass.

Problem I had with this build: damage output isn't that amazing to be worth all the setup you have to do in order to make the endless meteors hit. Also forced to stack critical chance to over 40% and stack at least 18+ arcane power on crit in order to do the endless feed. This is quite the problem on weapons, because arcane power on crit only exists on wands, so the attack speed isn't that great. There are 2 legendaries that do compare to an AS dagger rare: however, to get crit dmg on them with a socket is near impossible (if it even exists). Thus damage output is lower, just to make arcane power on crit work.

I was just testing some variations just now and can't decide. For now I'll keep the Archon build I currently have. I really don't feel like using Piercing Orb + Hydra, which feels very standard to me with no synergy between the skills.

I used this previously without any APOC and it feels good. Certainly much better than the old Magic Missile + Blizzarrd + Venom Hydra build prior to 1.04. And then I tried it with just 9 APOC yesterday and it feels so much better. And yes, Star Pact is the main damage dealer in my setup. Not orb and not hydra.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hey guys I was on the Diablo Podcast.

Have a listen and give me some feedback please :).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks2yIiPbCBs&feature=player_embedded

The ecomony aspects/problems you're discussing is exactly what's already happened in the EU region. Nobody buys anything because nobody needs anything that's affordable to them. This game severely needs a binding system or other alternative that gets items out of the economy. Work salvaging legendaries into some new crafting/imbuing system.

Also, grab the re-customize stats system from WoW into it so I can remove the Int on my DH dps bracers and add some Dex or Vit or something instead.

Edit: As DH I disagree with the oppinon that no one likes to run the Keep. It's my favorite sub-zone alongside Arreat Crater now. The xp-gains from massacres in these zones are absolutely enormous.

linsivvi

What's your class and how much magic find do have?

I'm a monk and I don't have any MF besides the paragon and NV bonus. I believe in killing as fast as you can to get more drops, especially now that legendary and set items are the new golden standard and MF doesn't have any effect on their qualities.

Xanathus

Eff yeah, my very first set item drop since the launch of D3. I think it would have been practically impossible for one to drop without Paragon MF.

JJBma.png

Celegus

Wooooow those are some nice DH pants. Congrats!

Can't believe someone already hit 100. Has the patch even been out a month?

linsivvi

Wooooow those are some nice DH pants. Congrats!

Can't believe someone already hit 100. Has the patch even been out a month?

Try a little more than 2 weeks.

If you can get 25M xp per hour and play 24 hours a day, you can do it in about 17 and a half days. So I guess that guy is probably using a shared account.

Rufus

I belive someone said that it's account played by 2-3 people.
One of his friends on the stream said it, but I don't know if he was being serious or just trolling the chat. They made some joke about using different specs, matching the three legendary Barbarians from D2 (and the one skill that summons them in D3) right after, so... With all the crazy people out there (some of which die in front of the PC), I see no reason to doubt that this is one nutter doing it by himself.

Tom Penny

I bought a Won Khim to try on the AH. I got a 880 dps, 21% lightning damage, 248 dex for 150,000 (lol). I defiantly see what you mean. My tornadoes do way more damage and stuff dies a little faster. If you're struggling with your monk and looking for a cheap upgrade they're pretty great.

I really wish they had higher average dps and a whole lot more life on hit. If I could buy a Won Khim with ~1100 dps, 950ish LOH, critdmg and socket it would be the ultimate monk weapon. While it's a downgrade for me, any budget monk should really look into getting one.

LOL good look finding that one. That would be straight from the heavens.

linsivvi

He live stream quite a bit of it, just one guy.

Well it's still possible if he sleeps just a few hours a day. I watched his stream for a few minutes and I am pretty sure he's getting more than 25M xp per hour. It's both impressive and sad if he actually did it all by himself though.

Barbarians are over-powered at this point but that's only because Blizzard nerfed the shit out of the other classes. It's definitely the most fun class to play.

turnbuckle

Well it's still possible if he sleeps just a few hours a day. I watched his stream for a few minutes and I am pretty sure he's getting more than 25M xp per hour. It's both impressive and sad if he actually did it all by himself though.

Barbarians are over-powered at this point but that's only because Blizzard nerfed the shit out of the other classes. It's definitely the most fun class to play.

I wish I felt OP with my barbarian.

My barb

Hmm...wtf...I don't have that sword equipped. I don't ever remember even picking up that sword. ...

turnbuckle

Hope this revelation doesn't turn into a "r-clicked and accidentally vendored my weapons while vendoring junk" stories.

:(

I was wrong about the 2 handed weapon I mentioned i was using. It is 1564ish dps, not 1540. I don't really like the weapon, but I'd be heartbroken to lose it. Seems like people are charging ridiculous prices for stuff right now (more so on gear than even the past few days) so I'm stuck with what I have for awhile. Tried act 3 yesterday and was having a rough go of it in the crater, the keep, and the bridge. I'd roll a different character if it weren't for paragon, since it's starting to dawn on me that I just don't have "it" to be a successful barb in this game

:(

I was wrong about the 2 handed weapon I mentioned i was using. It is 1564ish dps, not 1540. I don't really like the weapon, but I'd be heartbroken to lose it. Seems like people are charging ridiculous prices for stuff right now (more so on gear than even the past few days) so I'm stuck with what I have for awhile. Tried act 3 yesterday and was having a rough go of it in the crater, the keep, and the bridge. I'd roll a different character if it weren't for paragon, since it's starting to dawn on me that I just don't have "it" to be a successful barb in this game

Hope you didn't lose your weapon man. If you're on US, add me. Fenderputty#1180. I farm act three fairly well and am always happy to have company.

I just assume it's the glow over his head. I mean, I've yet to see a legendary with 1.0.4 despite claims that this crap is raining down on us. =)

P level?

I didn't see a legendary until p14 and then saw about 4 in about 5 act III runs. Two were absolute crap though. One I'm wearing and the other is at about a 12 million bid as of this morning with about 12 hours to go. At least two people are interested so I'm hoping for a slight bidding war.

neoism

Did you get that in Act 1? I wasn't certain you could get level 63 legendaries in act 1. If so, I'm going back there for awhile :p

no lol It was posted on the general chat... I'm not even close to lucky enough to get something like that..... I guess I need to play act 2.. I thought their was a small change to get a L level 63 on act 1....

Jrmint

The ecomony aspects/problems you're discussing is exactly what's already happened in the EU region. Nobody buys anything because nobody needs anything that's affordable to them. This game severely needs a binding system or other alternative that gets items out of the economy. Work salvaging legendaries into some new crafting/imbuing system.

Also, grab the re-customize stats system from WoW into it so I can remove the Int on my DH dps bracers and add some Dex or Vit or something instead.

Edit: As DH I disagree with the oppinon that no one likes to run the Keep. It's my favorite sub-zone alongside Arreat Crater now. The xp-gains from massacres in these zones are absolutely enormous.
Thanks for listening!

I agree a binding system is definitely needed. It had never occurred to me until Azzure brought that up.

I also agree I like running the keep for the reasons you mentioned. I usually only run it with a partner though, the run backs in there are so long if you die.

linsivvi

I wish I felt OP with my barbarian.

My barb

Hmm...wtf...I don't have that sword equipped. I don't ever remember even picking up that sword. ...

Damn that sucks...

Though to be honest you can pick up a couple 50K weapons with slots and you can quite possibly more than double your dps.

I just searched the AH for weapons with str and slot under 50K and there are some 900+ dps weapons with 100+ str.

Thanks for listening!

I agree a binding system is definitely needed. It had never occurred to me until Azzure brought that up.

I also agree I like running the keep for the reasons you mentioned. I usually only run it with a partner though, the run backs in there are so long if you die.

I like the keep. My least favorite part of act III to run is the fields with the second being the crater level I. The crater level I is the least predictable and largest pattern out of all the maps IMO and can wind you quite a distance away from the entrance and exit. Which was great for leveling or story playing but not so much for efficiency of farming. I don't like the fields because for farming I actually appreciate the way close pathways force enemies to you. I also like corridoring certain enemies in the keep and towers. Something you can't do in the open fields.

linsivvi

I like the keep. My least favorite part of act III to run is the fields with the second being the crater level I. The crater level I is the least predictable and largest pattern out of all the maps IMO and can wind you quite a distance away from the entrance and exit. Which was great for leveling or story playing but not so much for efficiency of farming. I don't like the fields because for farming I actually appreciate the way close pathways force enemies to you. I also like corridoring certain enemies in the keep and towers. Something you can't do in the open fields.

If you're doing the fields at all make sure you start with the machine of war quest instead. The 3 quest destinations will spawn more mobs than otherwise. Or you could just choose the last quest and just use the portal to go to wherever you like. The bosses doesn't really give that much xp anyway.

But yes, always do the keep. It has the highest xp/minute rate of all act 3 areas.

turnbuckle

Damn that sucks...

Though to be honest you can pick up a couple 50K weapons with slots and you can quite possibly more than double your dps.

I just searched the AH for weapons with str and slot under 50K and there are some 900+ dps weapons with 100+ str.

I have a few decent 1-handers. One is a 900+ dps sword with vit and life steal, the other is an 850ish ax that has bonus crit damage and a socket + 150ish strength. I do more dps with it, but I was thinking if I was going to use rend I'd want to swing that heavier weapon to get bigger ticks off it.

Does rend stack? If I spam rend to burn my fury with it will I get multiple dots on my enemy and multiple ticks of life per second? I didn't notice that happening yesterday, but there was so much going on on screen that I couldn't be certain one way or the other.

If you're doing the fields at all make sure you start with the machine of war quest instead. The 3 quest destinations will spawn more mobs than otherwise. Or you could just choose the last quest and just use the portal to go to wherever you like. The bosses doesn't really give that much xp anyway.

But yes, always do the keep. It has the highest xp/minute rate of all act 3 areas.

Yeah I noticed you started with that quest. I was wondering if it spawned more enemies.

EDIT: I used to start on last quest for the portals, but when I start doing full act runs I figured a couple more bosses are a couple more chances at good rares.

larvi

Found 2 legendaries over the last 2 days, both from farming the keep in A3:

strongarm.png
az.png

The bracers have a nice dex roll so were an upgrade for my DH. Lots of the fists on the AH with prices all over the place so not really sure what they are worth but may give them a shot on my monk before I sell. DPS seems to be ok but not great on them, looks like I got a double vit roll for my 2 random properties which is decent but a socket, crit damage, loh or lpss would have been better.

Dunno, pretty sure I've gotten all six of my legendaris from killing packs of elites- 2 last night from elites. People say how they found them from trash mobs pretty often though so I wouldn't go one way or the other. You do have a definite chance when killing elites though so I go with hunting them down. Cause you wanna look for high lvl ammys and rings too really.

So how many of yall have found some good legendaries/set pieces from regular monsters?

My first was from a regular monster.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/fenderputty-1180/hero/4022975

Almost all of the legendaries I've found popped on regular trash mobs. Prior to the nerf I had one set piece drop from a stump in act I inferno. I've had one drop from a goblin and like two drop from elite packs.

I would say about 90%+ of the lengendaries I find are from trash mobs.

Ploid 3.0

I think only one of my legendaries came from a boss or elite. Two came from a item (chest, and maybe a breakable or activate thing like corpse/chair guy). So many comes from random white.

Cool, it's like I'm wanting to do act 2 I just don't know if I should focus on just the elites or what.. I'll try to kill more white mobs now.

Dahbomb

So how many of yall have found some good legendaries/set pieces from regular monsters?
Both of the legendary bracers I found were from champ packs in the Vaults.

All the rest of the legendaries/sets/rare plans I got from random white monsters/chests/corpse. I got a 6 property pants from the Keeps by just checking a corpse in the far corner of a room. I probably wouldn't have been in that room if it weren't for that fact that my group was chased and cornered into that room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom