• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celegus

Sounds awesome! I'm finally on the verge of beating Act 4 (sword and board really is so much better than 2H sadly) so it'll be nice to have something else to work towards.

foladar

no way 1.0.5 will be available in the next week

While I don't think it's gonna make it, I wouldn't say 'no way' since they stated 'in the coming days' for more previews, rather than weeks, and when asked on the status, they stated it wouldn't be coming out THIS week (the 11th) rather than mentioning both weeks.

MrDaravon

Just found this, actually seems decent!

TPwhu.png

linsivvi

I have been moving towards high resist all set items so as long as mob damages are lessened accordingly i will gladly trade owe for something like flat feeted.

Dahbomb

Man Blizzard really loves nerfing shit.

Instead of buffing the useless moves their idea is to nerf everything else so the useless moves are perceived as less useless. I don't like this mentality, I have never liked it.

The other stuff sounds good. There better be some extra rewards/bonuses for bumping up monster difficulty.

I have been moving towards high resist all set items so as long as mob damages are lessened accordingly i will gladly trade owe for something like flat feeted.

You're in the minority. Most gear with a stacked resist. Your DPS is also super high in comparison to most monks so you can afford to sacrifice some survivability easier than most.

I have a pair of pants with nothing but Arcane on them for example.

M.D

Finished the game on Nightmare (WD L51)....

I fear Hell because Nightmare wasn't so bad :eek: think I'm gonna try sell some stuff on the AH as well

sleepykyo

Sound like a nerf to owe is incoming. :(

I hope not. I've spent 20M gold on lighting or lighting+AR gear in the last few weeks trying to gear my monk since Barbs is getting old. I have a 180 Dex lightning only shoulder (shouldn't be too expensive) but that 180 dex helm with 4.5 is only cheap because it is lightning resist only.

Yeah I loled at the Monk diversity among the top 25 paragon levels, but no matter what they do someone is going to find the uber build and everyone else will follow suit. The only thing this does is guarantee a new round of AH transactions as players regear for the new flavor of the month build.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Won't the Boss Rush-like mode go against Blizzard's stated philosophy that bosses shouldn't provide too many incentives (XP/items) lest people just repeat rush them like they did in D2?

"Some assembly is required" has me intrigued though. Does that mean co-op, or am I failing at English here?

Dahbomb

I think what they mean by "some assembly required" is that just like the Pony level you have to gather some stuff and craft a special item so you can go to a portal into the Uber level.

Or maybe they mean that you need to fight in a group to beat them.

larvi

I interpreted the "some assembly required" statement meaning it would require something like the staff of herding be made first.

sleepykyo

I almost forgot. I like the current Monk gear prices (outside of the Inna's Set). I don't see want to see the prices go up to Barb prices. ie. I like that I only have to outbid lightning Monks, while fire Monks do their thing and arcane Monks do their thing.

I hope not. I've spent 20M gold on lighting or lighting+AR gear in the last few weeks trying to gear my monk since Barbs is getting old. I have a 180 Dex lightning only shoulder (shouldn't be too expensive) but that 180 dex helm with 4.5 is only cheap because it is lightning resist only.

Yeah I loled at the Monk diversity among the top 25 paragon levels, but no matter what they do someone is going to find the uber build and everyone else will follow suit. The only thing this does is guarantee a new round of AH transactions as players regear for the new flavor of the month build.

I've built my entire character around OWE. They called the passive "mandatory" before and openly said they wanted to change that during patch 1.0.4. So it looks like it's coming.

They would have to do a massive nerf to incoming damage if I'm supposed to think losing 300 ALL RES is a net buff.

I've built my entire character around OWE. They called the passive "mandatory" before and openly said they wanted to change that during patch 1.0.4. So it looks like it's coming.

They would have to do a massive nerf to incoming damage if I'm supposed to think losing 300 ALL RES is a net buff.

Time of Need will become popular for a while if they incorporate an OWE nerf.

Either that or I'll just farm the area with the most fire monsters. Haha.

Vodh

I also hope they are aware of the fact that the only thing making specific resists anything less than completely shit are the OWE monks. If they seriously nerf OWE, suddenly we'll have several more stats that are nothing but flavour text and while the 'build diversity' might be improved (although I wouldn't call "some people dropping a passive for some other passive" a massive increase in build diversity), the gear diversity for monks will go to hell. They will basically go for the exact same gear the tankier DH's are getting.

I also hope they are aware of the fact that the only thing making specific resists anything less than completely shit are the OWE monks. If they seriously nerf OWE, suddenly we'll have several more stats that are nothing but flavour text and while the 'build diversity' might be improved (although I wouldn't call "some people dropping a passive for some other passive" a massive increase in build diversity), the gear diversity for monks will go to hell. They will basically go for the exact same gear the tankier DH's are getting.

Right ... at least I don't have to complete for gear on the AH with other monks unless they're arcane monks. If they nerf OWE, I complete with every monk and DH for gear.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I interpreted the "some assembly required" statement meaning it would require something like the staff of herding be made first.

"The rewards will be great, but you'll need 500 million gold to get there."

Yeah, hope the process isn't too much of a pain/too costly.

Dahbomb

My guess is the way they would nerf OWE is that the tooltip will read something like this:

"All of your resistances are equal to 85% of your maximum resistance"

So if you have like 1000 Cold resist then that would equal 850 all resist. Something like that is what I expect. Won't make it completely useless especially with the overall Inferno nerf. But it's Blizzard so you never know what their way of thinking is.

I would also be wary of Gloom, Smoke Screen, Serenity, Breath of Heaven, Battle Cry (especially Impunity) and various other CC moves.

My guess is the way they would nerf OWE is that the tooltip will read something like this:

So if you have like 1000 Cold resist then that would equal 850 all resist. Something like that is what I expect. Won't make it completely useless especially with the overall Inferno nerf. But it's Blizzard so you never know what their way of thinking is.

I would also be wary of Gloom, Smoke Screen, Serenity, Breath of Heaven, Battle Cry (especially Impunity) and various other CC moves.

A nerf like that isn't going to make me change the passive out though. I wouldn't even consider chaning it out. A general nerf to damage output is enough for me to change things a little I suppose. I could swap out resolve for something.

nerfing serenity would make me punch things.

lordy88

I personally welcome the giant defensive nerf if that is the case.

It would mean that we do not have to make builds that hinge around not dying, and instead of killing effectively. That's really where Diablo 2 was the most fun. 'How do I kill this thing in the best way possible?' not 'How do I make sure I don't die?'

Then maybe all those builds we came up with pre-launch might actually come into play!

ShinNL

I personally welcome the giant defensive nerf if that is the case.

It would mean that we do not have to make builds that hinge around not dying, and instead of killing effectively. That's really where Diablo 2 was the most fun. 'How do I kill this thing in the best way possible?' not 'How do I make sure I don't die?'

Then maybe all those builds we came up with pre-launch might actually come into play!

One word. Hardcore.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Shin-2397/

I will quit the game if they go that shitty road.

lordy88

One word. Hardcore.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Shin-2397/

I will quit the game if they go that shitty road.

They will be nerfing the enemies as well. Makes it so there are more viable defensive options too.

Just seems like they are evening out everything instead of setting the bar super high where only a few skills can get there. Instead of forcing all defensive skills to be the equivalent to 'invulnerable for 1.5 seconds', they will nerf the 1.5 seconds, and make the difficulty fall with it.

Looks like it should be EASIER, not more difficult for the Hardcore.

They will be nerfing the enemies as well. Makes it so there are more viable defensive options too.

Just seems like they are evening out everything instead of setting the bar super high where only a few skills can get there. Instead of forcing all defensive skills to be the equivalent to 'invulnerable for 1.5 seconds', they will nerf the 1.5 seconds, and make the difficulty fall with it.

Looks like it should be EASIER, not more difficult for the Hardcore.

So why not just buff the skills that aren't viable instead of nerfing everything so that its a "net buff"?

You know ... it's not like they were going to do that in 1.0.4 or antying.

So why not just buff the skills that aren't viable instead of nerfing everything so that its a "net buff"?

I'd say they are making everything easier to appease us. They are straying away from changing a lot of the different skills in order to make it easier to implement the necessary skill changes when PvP happens. Blizzard has their hands full in balancing this game in PvP. So for now they decided to leave the skills alone so people won't have to keep changing their builds.

I'd say they are making everything easier to appease us. They are straying away from changing a lot of the different skills in order to make it easier to implement the necessary skill changes when PvP happens. Blizzard has their hands full in balancing this game in PvP. So for now they decided to leave the skills alone so people won't have to keep changing their builds.

Appease who? I'm not happy things are getting easier. Inferno isn't challending anymore. 1.0.3 made it less challenging and 1.0.4 made it a cake walk. 1.0.5 is yet another nerf.

They're doing this so they can get rid of the "mandatory" defensive skills people use and spur more build diversity. They're doing this in hope that people will change their build. The exact oppostive of your last statement.

To me this whole "nerf for pairity" philosiphy is stupid anyway. Especially if you're adding an option for players to increase difficulty. Seems counterintuitive to nerf defensive skills but also add the option for more difficulty.

If they want more build diversity finish what they intended to do in 1.0.4 and buff useless skills.

Insaniac

Appease who? I'm not happy things are getting easier. Inferno isn't challending anymore. 1.0.3 made it less challenging and 1.0.4 made it a cake walk. 1.0.5 is yet another nerf.

They're doing this so they can get rid of the "mandatory" defensive skills people use and spur more build diversity. They're doing this in hope that people will change their build. The exact oppostive of your last statement.

To me this whole "nerf for pairity" philosiphy is stupid anyway. Especially if you're adding an option for players to increase difficulty. Seems counterintuitive to nerf defensive skills but also add the option for more difficulty.

If they want more build diversity finish what they intended to do in 1.0.4 and buff useless skills.

what is this "inferno isn't challenging?" I'm getting my ass kicked constantly in act 3, and I consider myself pretty well geared

Zvolen12

Neo Member
I keep it all on one weapon and look for one that has 45+ LpSS. If you dual weild it's easier to do this. I don't worry about my helm.

Main:
DEX / LOH / SOC

OFF:
DEX / LpSS / SOC

This should still keep things relatively cheap with your main costing more due to LOH / SOC being a desireable trait.

Resolve really helps and if you couple it with a main like crippling wave then you can really reduce the amount of damage you take. Until I got my DPS up high enough to not care, I used Crippling Wave > Concussion with Resolve and it's noticeable.

That's more than enough. If you get your DPS up, I was fine with 750 LOH and 31K life. Even now I only have 32K life.

Does it work the same way as a WW barb does when dual weilding? For instance the stats of both the weapons like LOH, Crit stack on each attack whether or not you are hitting with the main hand or off hand?

If that is the case does attack speed work similar too, I remember reading something in regards to WW barbs do the dge of their main hand but with the speed of their off hand so its good to have a strong mace in teh main hand and a faster weapon in your off hand.

Ill look into transitioning to resolve as well too, thanks for the help guys.

lordy88

That sounds like a great idealistic plan. The truth of the matter is that there are some skills that inately will be deemed more valuable to use in a defensive position. So, in order to lower the user's dependency of that skill in builds, you lower the necessity to abuse the skill.

It's actually a lot simpler and a much better solution. It's kind of like in music where instead of boosting all sounds to be as loud as one instrument, simply lowering the loud instrument to everyone else makes all the other parts sound much better.

Look, they are just setting the base of everything lower in order to make balancing easier. It's a smart move in my opinion (as if I needed to make this clear after the rhetoric I've provided...).

They are doing this so people CAN change their builds but they won't be forced to.

Whenever PvP comes out the skills are going to be severely reworked otherwise it will be completely broken.

I completely agree in that the way they are handling this is far from efficient. As long as it balances out by the time PvP comes out I really don't care.

They are doing this so people CAN change their builds but they won't be forced to.

Whenever PvP comes out the skills are going to be severely reworked otherwise it will be completely broken.

I completely agree in that the way they are handling this is far from efficient. As long as it balances out by the time PvP comes out I really don't care.

We'll see what the details are, but if they nerf OWE it will force my hand to not only change my build but also my gear. For now I'll remain on the cautious side of "cautiously optimistic."

We'll see what the details are, but if they nerf OWE it will force my hand to not only change my build but also my gear. For now I'll remain on the cautious side of "cautiously optimistic."

To be fair I have yet to see the Blizzard link because I'm at work. So I'm not even sure what was said about the changes. Judging by your tone though I'm assuming it seems pretty evident they are touching OWE. Which will affect me as well. I am already having a hard time gearing up. I need a jackpot!

Celegus

Luckily Blizz isn't so daft that they would rebalance inferno to simply suit top-tier players that are bored with the game. The vast majority of the playerbase is still struggling to make it through inferno as it is now. I think being able to toggle the difficulty to your liking is a good (recycled) idea, as well as the new bosses.

And personally, I could care less if they nerf good skills or boost bad skills. As long as there is enough balance that there are viable options to use, I don't see how it matters.

Jrmint

Lol I will laugh my ass off if OWE gets nerfed into oblivion. It's seriously the most OP defensive ability in the game. Basically allows Monks to gear for Act 3/4 at a fraction of what the other classes have to pay. Has always kinda pissed me off though. It probably won't happen though seeing as how integral to that class it is at this point.

linsivvi

Yeah this is the part that I don't understand. They've finally made the game easy enough that most dedicated players can handle it, though I'll reserve judgement until they give us more details. Maybe these changes go hand in hand with the monster power thing and the uber bosses.

What it looks to me right now is that Blizzard nerfed Inferno in order to give us a new Inferno.

Lol I will laugh my ass off if OWE gets nerfed into oblivion. It's seriously the most OP defensive
ability in the game.

That's not true at all. An ability that increases the whole party's armor by 20% and resist by 50% while giving you free resource and is basically always on is way more powerful. Melee classes need some way to mitigate damage too.

Basically allows Monks to gear for Act 3/4 at a fraction of what the other classes have to pay. Has always kinda pissed me off though. It probably won't happen though seeing as how integral to that class it is at this point.

If you think monks are cheaper to gear than other classes then you don't know what you're talking about. Monk is probably the most expensive class to gear. Unlike the range classes, monk needs high resist and unlike barbarians, they don't have warcry to rely on.

sleepykyo

I could see that. It has an interesting effect where it would make sense not to equip if your general resists were pretty high and you only had a small amount of specific resists.

eg.
all resist 950.
fire resist 50.
post OWE AR drops to 850

I was thinking they would change the formula so the highest elemental resist increase *.5 buffs the all resist.

eg.
lighting resistance 200
AR 800
post OWE AR 900

This would nerf the OWE bonus and force a regear toward AR

LR 100
AR 900
post OWE AR 950

I could see that. It has an interesting effect where it would make sense not to equip if your general resists were pretty high and you only had a small amount of specific resists.

eg.
all resist 950.
fire resist 50.
post OWE AR drops to 850

I was thinking they would change the formula so the highest elemental resist increase *.5 buffs the all resist.

eg.
lighting resistance 200
AR 800
post OWE AR 900

This would nerf the OWE bonus and force a regear toward AR

LR 100
AR 900
post OWE AR 950

do you think this "force a regear toward AR" would be a good thing?

M.D

Hell is quite hard... Normal mobs can do me a ton of damage and elite mobs can kill me very easily

I wonder if I should switch back to 1H + Shield or get zombie dogs

syllogism

Side note but I fucking love it when people sell things for the vendor rate as a buyout. Like - they are AHing something to LOSE MONEY. So weird.
I think it's because someone thought they had something worth selling and then failed to do so and are too lazy to send it to stash and get rid of it in-game. I've done it before.

larvi

I think it's because someone thought they had something worth selling and then failed to do so and are too lazy to send it to stash and get rid of it in-game. I've done it before.

Or maybe they have enuf $$$ and are being nice and would prefer to sell it to someone that can actually use it rather than vendoring it. No different than folks in this thread helping out others by giving them some of their spare items really.

Lol I will laugh my ass off if OWE gets nerfed into oblivion. It's seriously the most OP defensive ability in the game. Basically allows Monks to gear for Act 3/4 at a fraction of what the other classes have to pay. Has always kinda pissed me off though. It probably won't happen though seeing as how integral to that class it is at this point.

This ... this is a joke post right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom