• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT5| Finally out of Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Is this worth anything?

UQzRv.jpg

Can't find anything quite like it and I'm terrible when it comes to pricing

It's pretty good for what it is, but basically at level 55 anyone would be using a reduced level weapon at that point. There is no point in searching for something that is your own level when you are that close to level 60.

I'd take it a step farther and say that pretty much every single Monk shouldn't be worse off post-patch without Seize the Initiative compared to where they are right now with it. The exceptions are if you have an absurd amount of DEX but with next to no Armor.

The relevant bit would be what is your DEX. Off-hand, you'd need somewhere in the 2000s (2200 or so?) for you to be worse post-patch without StI than you are pre-patch with it.

can you help me? I am very very bad with these things called "numbers"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/OmegaMan-1511/hero/1642708

this is my monk, would you say it's safe to drop seize the initiative?

Kenaras

Would that work with Breath of Heaven?

It does, but Breath of Heaven has an incredibly short radius. It's very clunky trying to hit other players often enough to keep the buff up. I've used it with Mantra of Healing, which works very well - but I'd rather just use Mantra of Conviction instead.

Edit: Haven't tried that since the patch which changed Mantra of Healing, though. Don't know if the activation still counts as a direct heal or not.

It does, but Breath of Heaven has an incredibly short radius. It's very clunky trying to hit other players often enough to keep the buff up. I've used it with Mantra of Healing, which works very well - but I'd rather just use Mantra of Conviction instead.

This is kinda what I was thinking. I could drop breath of heaven for another spirit generator and use combination strike, but it would only be a1% increased in damage output and I like having the occasional blast to life. I could drop a third skill for another 8% increase in damage. Something like Wave of Light. Though I would then have to cycle through three main attacks at all times to see a 9% constant increase in damage output from what I do now. I could just drop Wave of Light for another generator and combination stricke for 8% more damage. I like my bell though :(.

In the end it looks like fleet foot for farming and either guardians path or right back to normal STE for scaling difficulties.

I'm really not starved enough for spirit to need a passive for building it.

scy

can you help me? I am very very bad with these things called "numbers"

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/OmegaMan-1511/hero/1642708

this is my monk, would you say it's safe to drop seize the initiative?

3310 Armor with 1894 DEX.

Pre-patch with Seize: 37.70% Damage Taken
Pre-patch with Seize and Enchantress: 34.49% Damage Taken
Post-patch without Seize: 36.57% Damage Taken
Post-patch without Seize but with Enchantress: 33.96% Damage Taken

I don't remember any difficulties with Guiding Light but it's been quite some time since I've used it.

They really need to buff Sixth Sense, incidentally.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Damn, twister wizard builds are gonna steamroll everything with the dmg nerf/storm armor buff/ice armor buff... Well, provided the Storm Chaser rune is not nerfed, that is.

Dahbomb

Basically if you pair Chant of Resonance and Exalted Soul you can use Wave of Light + MoC + Blinding Faith and spam the bell on elites. My 3rd passive was Guardian Path with a 2h weapon so my spirit Regen was crazy. This is for Act 1 currently but after 1.05 I should be able to use on act 2 easily.

I dropped a bell on the Jailer and it one shotted him because of crit while under the effect of double MoC and Blinding Faith. I nearly jumped out of my seat at the hilarity.

Kenaras

This is kinda what I was thinking. I could drop breath of heaven for another spirit generator and use combination strike, but it would only be a1% increased in damage output and I like having the occasional blast to life. I could drop a third skill for another 8% increase in damage. Something like Wave of Light. Though I would then have to cycle through three main attacks at all times to see a 9% constant increase in damage output from what I do now. I could just drop Wave of Light for another generator and combination stricke for 8% more damage. I like my bell though :(.

In the end it looks like fleet foot for farming and either guardians path or right back to normal STE for scaling difficulties.

I'm really not starved enough for spirit to need a passive for building it.

You could take Deadly Reach - Foresight for 18% plus the 16% from Combination Strike. It would also give you a little bit of versatility for attacking things at a distance. That's something I've played around with, but in the end it wasn't worth it. Using three (or all four) primary attacks requires dropping way, way too much to even consider.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll end up with either The Guardian's Path or Fleet Footed.

3310 Armor with 1894 DEX.

Pre-patch with Seize: 37.70% Damage Taken
Pre-patch with Seize and Enchantress: 34.49% Damage Taken
Post-patch without Seize: 36.57% Damage Taken
Post-patch without Seize but with Enchantress: 33.96% Damage Taken

Thanks well that's.... AWESOME I just got a free slot to experiment with other passives hell yeah!
I don't see any other appealing passive for a DPS Monk... :/

You could take Deadly Reach - Foresight for 18% plus the 16% from Combination Strike. It would also give you a little bit of versatility for attacking things at a distance. That's something I've played around with, but in the end it wasn't worth it. Using three (or all four) primary attacks requires dropping way, way too much to even consider.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll end up with either The Guardian's Path or Fleet Footed.

If I just drop the bell and use only two the passives for spirit generators, that's 18% for foresight and 16% from combination strike actually. I could keep breath of heaven that way and have 34% increase in damage by only cycling two attacks over what I have now. That might actually be better than fleet foot.

I wasn't thinking about using foresight ...

The cycle woudn't be hard either. Start with DR > foresight for three attacks to get the 18%. Then you switch to FOT > Thunderclap for 3 attacks to DR > foresight 1 attack for about 30 seconds. Then you start over again. (three right clicks to three lefts / 1 right for 30 seconds)

That's actually a pretty powerfull buff to damage.

This patch will be a huge buff to DHs. 25% damage reduction plus buffs to Gloom (and no nerfs to SS) should mean I'll be able to clear Act 3 with ease (finally), with no changes to my current gear.

Alterations to Companion and Sentry may be worth trying out as well. Plus whatever other changes to passives/runes that they mentioned, but didn't detail.
The goofy grin on my face when I read that change to Gloom was huge. With my Nat's set I think I'll remove SS finally as Gloom will be my only defensive skill needed. Maybe replace it with Caltrops or try out that Sentry like you mentioned.

I still see myself using Trail of Cinders just for the movement advantage and although it'll be nerfed hard, it still will tick away with the damage.

Well I'm genuinely surprised by the news so far. The lack of nerf to OWE and the fact that I might actually get to use another passive is pretty nice.

I'm really thinking of using combination strikw now.

linsivvi

If I just drop the bell and use only two the passives for spirit generators, that's 18% for foresight and 16% from combination strike actually. I could keep breath of heaven that way and have 34% increase in damage by only cycling two attacks over what I have now. That might actually be better than fleet foot.

I wasn't thinking about using foresight ...

The cycle woudn't be hard either. Start with DR > foresight for three attacks to get the 18%. Then you switch to FOT > Thunderclap for 3 attacks to DR > foresight 1 attack for about 30 seconds. Then you start over again. (three right clicks to three lefts / 1 right for 30 seconds)

That's actually a pretty powerfull buff to damage.

Foresight was awesome in 1.0.3 but now that the game is easier and is about to get even easier, it's just inefficient. It's too slow as a primary to farm right now.

It'll be best used together with all the defense passives, mantra of evasion - hard target for uber bosses or increased difficulty, depending on how difficult they get.

Well I'm genuinely surprised by the news so far. The lack of nerf to OWE and the fact that I might actually get to use another passive is pretty nice.

I'm really thinking of using combination strikw now.

until we play the uber mode and player 8 and start missing our defensive abilities, it's the circle of life...

Foresight was awesome in 1.0.3 but now that the game is easier and is about to get even easier, it's just inefficient. It's too slow as a primary to farm right now.

It'll be best used together with all the defense passives, mantra of evasion - hard target for uber bosses or increased difficulty, depending on how difficult they get.

But in my above example you would only have to use foresight during a small portion of the time. Most of the time would still be spent using thunderclap with foresight only being used 3 times at the begining and then once every forth attack over a 30 second period.

The only skill I would be givin up is Wave of Light.

until we play the uber mode and player 8 and start missing our defensive abilities, it's the circle of life...

This is true. Which is why Im curious to see what "rewards" people get for using scaling difficulties.

Zvolen12

Neo Member
Basically, just do (Armor * .4) and check that versus your DEX. If that result is less than your DEX, you're going to see better damage reduction post-patch without Seize the Initiative. If that result is higher than your DEX, you're going to see worse damage reduction post-patch without Seize the Initiative

So use current base armor with StI on? Personally I was already thinking of ditching StI and this may actually push me to do it, or I may keep it and just choose to pick a few more offensive skills instead. I just don't see the point to having more than one spirit generator plus non of the other offensive skills that use spirit excite me.

scy

So use current base armor with StI on? Personally I was already thinking of ditching StI and this may actually push me to do it, or I may keep it and just choose to pick a few more offensive skills instead. I just don't see the point to having more than one spirit generator plus non of the other offensive skills that use spirit excite me.

40% of Armor with StI. It's an easier figure to say than the ~62% you'll check for without StI.

So after nerfing res, they are nerfing armor for monks ?

I'm not sure if I'm okay with that

You may have overlooked the fact you're better off defensively with the nerf than you were before the patch. Unless you're one of those Monks with a low Armor and high DEX (e.g., 3000 Armor with 2000 DEX). And, even then, you're comparable. And that's _without_ running Seize post-patch vs running it pre-patch.

So after nerfing res, they are nerfing armor for monks ?

I'm not sure if I'm okay with that

It's not an overall nerf though. This should give you the option to drop either RESOLVE of STE and still be a equall if only slightly less.

Basically they're freeing up a passive slot for monks who use both.

linsivvi

But in my above example you would only have to use foresight during a small portion of the time. Most of the time would still be spent using thunderclap with foresight only being used 3 times at the begining and then once every forth attack over a 30 second period.

The only skill I would be givin up is Wave of Light.

Ah I see what you mean now. Not a big fan of Wave of Light so this is perfect.

BTW, just looted a Natalya's Reflection. The game loves me. :)

Insaniac

What i've read sounds good, Blizzard is really thinking these changes through. Specifically I play wizard, and I've always felt somewhat burdened by the fact that I pretty much had to use Energy Armor/Prismatic in order to not die instantly. I've wanted to use other armor abilities in new builds but it always ended up in my wizard being too fragile. I'm interested to see how this plays out, and I'm always up for more build diversity.

(This also means my melee reduction wizard with 41% melee reduction) is gonna be ridiculous :D)

Xanathus

I imagine what's going to actually happen is that most players keep their same builds that have armor/shout/whatevermonksuse and just increase the difficulty of the game to the highest that they can manage and optimal builds still remain the same.

scy

I imagine what's going to actually happen is that most players keep their same builds that have armor/shout/whatevermonksuse and just increase the difficulty of the game to the highest that they can manage and optimal builds still remain the same.

Probably.

Ah I see what you mean now. Not a big fan of Wave of Light so this is perfect.

BTW, just looted a Natalya's Reflection. The game loves me. :)

I have not had a good drop in quite some time. I got a couple legendary items in at P14 and am now almost P25 without seeing anything of value since.

Depends on the "rewards". If farming is still more efficient at the "normal inferno" difficulty then I see people moving back and forth. LIke say the increased difficulty only increases the amount of experience you get and so it only affect paragon levels on not directly affecting drop.

If it's more efficient to farm by scaling the difficulty up, then yeah. That's what I'll do at least.

foladar

I have not had a good drop in quite some time. I got a couple legendary items in at P14 and am now almost P25 without seeing anything of value since.

Depends on the "rewards". If farming is still more efficient at the "normal inferno" difficulty then I see people moving back and forth. LIke say the increased difficulty only increases the amount of experience you get and so it only affect paragon levels on not directly affecting drop.

If it's more efficient to farm by scaling the difficulty up, then yeah. That's what I'll do at least.

If the players+8 thing only offers increased exp, then it would be a total failure. Has to at least offer better loot or more loot in some format, even if it's additional magic find or something.

Revoh

Getting bored of my WW barb, actually I'm getting bored of farming... might roll a DH today after work. Need some ranged action to keep things fresh for a while

Keikaku

Got my 2nd legendary (my 1st since hitting Paragon) and it's predictably terrible
jQcs3OoJESSBU.jpg

That said, I'm still happy that one dropped :D

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
We are changing the Spider, Boar, and Wolf companion pets to be actual pets that can tank for you like a Gargantuan or Zombie Dog.

We are putting a short cooldown on Sentry, but you can have two out simultaneously. On top of that, the Custom Engineering passive will let you have a third Sentry turret! This opens up a whole new play style for the Demon Hunter of establishing a "nest" that you can draw enemies into.

BAH GAWD.

You mf's excite?

Upgraded my Monk, is he good now?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Sigma-1440/hero/19920319

I'll need fist weapons for dat attack speed but other than that, how is this mofugga?!

Swap these weapons for fist, sword, or dager. You got really nice IAS on your gear but these maces hold you down.

Look for higer dps with socket or crit dmg + socket. You need more crit dmg. With your stuff, your dps will sky rocket

Also, trade your sweeping wind blade rune for the mini tornado ?

Maybe look for a better helm with 10+ %sweeping wind dmg.

but overall, a 46k dps monk is really awesome and badass. Congratz.

Bags

Neo Member
I'm leveling my 4th character to 60, and just can't take running the acts to completion any more. If anyone would like to take me to and kill the butcher, belial, and azmo on nightmare I'd really appreciate it. Even if you only have time to do one of them it would be huge for me.

Bags#1277 US

I'm hopping on now.

Sigmaah

Swap these weapons for fist, sword, or dager. You got really nice IAS on your gear but these maces hold you down.

Look for higer dps with socket or crit dmg + socket. You need more crit dmg. With your stuff, your dps will sky rocket

Also, trade your sweeping wind blade rune for the mini tornado ?

Maybe look for a better helm with 10+ %sweeping wind dmg.

but overall, a 46k dps monk is really awesome and badass. Congratz.

Thanks! :>

Will be getting better weaps soon and will change the runes when I get back on. I haven't touched my monks skills in a awhile, also 50% dodge chance is good right? Hopefully I dodge a shitload.

Dahbomb

Upgraded my Monk, is he good now?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Sigma-1440/hero/19920319

I'll need fist weapons for dat attack speed but other than that, how is this mofugga?!

yNq3n.jpg
Da fug what happened to your original Monk with the 1k all res? Seems like you liquidated him for a dps heavy Monk.

The gear is good but 4 things stick out as easy fixes:

*Boots can be a lot better. You really need to get boots with movement speed because they are going to go up in prices again after 1.05 because Monks will be using Fleet foot passive for faster farm. Better acquire one now.

*Chest piece can be a lot better in terms of resists and more socket.

*Your secondary ring is a remnant of your former cold Monk, sell it for a similar ring with fire res

*Weapons are holding you back. You don't need those Vit stats on the weapons you have enough already. Trade for faster weapons with crit damage on the AH.

And why do you have Guardians path when you aren't a dodge Monk? Your dodge rate is already high enough, no need to waste a passive on it unless you are going for MoE - Backlash which you clearly aren't. Swap for Fleet Foot at least because you have no mobility right now. Transcendence or Exalted Soul might benefit you too.

You also appear to have a full set of Monk gear in your inventory... I might be looking to trade for some of those if they are good for me especially if that one socket weapon is any good.

shot-out to theytookourjobz for being awesome and giving me a godly weapon out of the blue, like I said, any top gear Barb item I get you'll have priority.

Svafnir

Incase anyone is interested, today is the last day to enter a 200 million gold giveaway I am hosting my Diablo 3 fansite - www.d3rmt.com (Just click the gold giveaway picture or link if you want more details)

Getting bored of my WW barb, actually I'm getting bored of farming... might roll a DH today after work. Need some ranged action to keep things fresh for a while

I have only played a WW barbarian for a few hours and I really did not enjoy it... got boring using basically the same skill over and over. I much prefer skill builds that focus on a variety of attacks.

pompidu

I'm in the middle of act 2 on nightmare with my dh. Should I be socketing my crossbow with a ruby for damage or emerald for critical hit damage?

Dahbomb

Blizzards buff to Sentry is pretty much the "Jay style".

"We don't think people use Sentries all that much and is a bit underpowered.....

SO WE DOUBLED/TRIPLED IT!

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I think we can assume that max Monster Power will be the best way to farm if you have high end gear. I'll be interested to see how difficult they're making it and to what extent it will be better. My concern with this idea has always been that by definition, higher difficulty in Diablo tends to translate to more boring min/max oriented builds like we saw in the original Inferno. Barbs with a primary attack and five defense/buff skills to enhance it, etc. And if doing that doubles your exp gain or something, it will be difficult to be satisfied with playing the easier mode. Hopefully the rewards aren't so compelling that you feel like anything less is second rate.

Dahbomb

I think we can assume that max Monster Power will be the best way to farm if you have high end gear. I'll be interested to see how difficult they're making it and to what extent it will be better. My concern with this idea has always been that by definition, higher difficulty in Diablo tends to translate to more boring min/max oriented builds like we saw in the original Inferno. Barbs with a primary attack and five defense/buff skills to enhance it, etc. And if doing that doubles your exp gain or something, it will be difficult to be satisfied with playing the easier mode. Hopefully the rewards aren't so compelling that you feel like anything less is second rate.
I would imagine max difficulty to be equivalent of something like a max player game in the 4th Act with the difficulty of LAUNCH Inferno. Yeah... back when more players meant that enemies did MORE damage as well plus of course co-op also scaled health way past 400%.

People remember Soul Rippers one shotting you from off screen? I think that's what is going to come back. Maybe... who knows.

Sigmaah

Da fug what happened to your original Monk with the 1k all res? Seems like you liquidated him for a dps heavy Monk.

The gear is good but 4 things stick out as easy fixes:

*Boots can be a lot better. You really need to get boots with movement speed because they are going to go up in prices again after 1.05 because Monks will be using Fleet foot passive for faster farm. Better acquire one now.

*Chest piece can be a lot better in terms of resists and more socket.

*Your secondary ring is a remnant of your former cold Monk, sell it for a similar ring with fire res

*Weapons are holding you back. You don't need those Vit stats on the weapons you have enough already. Trade for faster weapons with crit damage on the AH.

And why do you have Guardians path when you aren't a dodge Monk? Your dodge rate is already high enough, no need to waste a passive on it unless you are going for MoE - Backlash which you clearly aren't. Swap for Fleet Foot at least because you have no mobility right now. Transcendence or Exalted Soul might benefit you too.

You also appear to have a full set of Monk gear in your inventory... I might be looking to trade for some of those if they are good for me especially if that one socket weapon is any good.

I was thinking about the boots and since I'm now a fire res monk should I just get some fire walkers? Ones with all res are currently out of my price range but would the reduced Melee damage make up for it? Or should I save up for all res fire walkers?

Also, thanks for the write up, will make changes soon, and whenever we're both on, u can take a look and see if u like any of the monk gear I have left. Doubt it tho haha, nothing too great.

I made the change cause the monk with 1K all res killed shit too slow, so I went with a dps heavy one, gotta kill shit fast :p I put guards so I can get even higher dodge chance, I wanna see how dps heavy and a shitload of dodge chance will do together.

SeigO

Banned
Wow what are the odds that I'd get identical amazing legendaries in the same run? Haven't gotten a chance to PC the int boots yet hope they're worth alot.

KrRMI.jpg

Wq9Iq.jpg

Dahbomb

I made the change cause the monk with 1K all res killed shit too slow, so I went with a dps heavy one, gotta kill shit fast :p I put guards so I can get even higher dodge chance, I wanna see how dps heavy and a shitload of dodge chance will do together.
Then use the green Fist of Thunders and MoE - Backlash. That's a ton of additional dodge and every time you dodge you attack all enemies for 60%+ damage. You will still hit for a shit ton. Also you could've saved a shit ton of gold by just transitioning your Cold monk to a more DPS heavy build, should've just contacted me.

Personally speaking you can get WAY cheaper rare boots with fire res and movement speed than Fire Walkers. The pseudo-trail of cinders is nice but it's not that useful, only for breaking pots/items. 250 Dex, 10%+ movement speed, 50+ fire res and some all res should be your goal. You already have enough vit, don't bother wasting millions just for a vit stat on the boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom