• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

V_Arnold

It's not something to moan/cry about but that's not a significant improvement over the PC version that some people are expecting.

Also no need to Identify Yellows on the console co-op version! There might be identify for Legendaries though, they haven't gotten one yet.

Yeah, but what I meant is that the first two-three days (weeks?) of Loot 2.0 will be painful to watch. All the people who get bad drops will scream like mad, even if the loot 2.0 manages to actually get some nice items every now and then (which would be the point of it).

I really hope that along loot 2.0, a new ladder is available (yeah, dreams), cause people currently farming MP6+ are simply unable to appreciate anything but the top 0,01% of the items. To expect that to ever fall into their laps within a few dozen hours of gameplay is insanity.

BigDug13

Why are people bashing the fact that the game pauses when someone goes into the pause menu? It's local co-op and the menu probably takes up the whole screen since this isn't a splitscreen game, so there's really no other way they could do it. Where would they put the menu for the paused player if the entire screen is taken up with gameplay?

Decado

Wonder if the PS4/XBO versions will include the expansion, then...?

I'd prefer to play the game on PC, but since the expansion won't enable controller support, I'm looking towards consoles. IMO, combat systems for top-down ARPGs are much better with a controller than mouse clickfests.

Oppo

Why are people bashing the fact that the game pauses when someone goes into the pause menu? It's local co-op and the menu probably takes up the whole screen since this isn't a splitscreen game, so there's really no other way they could do it. Where would they put the menu for the paused player if the entire screen is taken up with gameplay?

Champions of Norrath had it figured out. For 2P anyways. It just covered half the screen with inventory menu, other half stayed live.

Any word on a PS4 discounted upgrade from the Ps3 version?

Dahbomb

It seems like you get some new random item for completing basic quest stuff.

I am not really bashing it but other games have provided more elegant solutions to this. I think it's not a big problem with like 2 players but with 4 players that could get annoying.

BigDug13

Champions of Norrath had it figured out. For 2P anyways. It just covered half the screen with inventory menu, other half stayed live.

Any word on a PS4 discounted upgrade from the Ps3 version?

I'm not so sure I would want that. If someone jumps into their menu in the middle of a fight, having half the Diablo screen taken up with menu while the game plays on could be a worse solution.

Oppo

I'm not so sure I would want that. If someone jumps into their menu in the middle of a fight, having half the Diablo screen taken up with menu while the game plays on could be a worse solution.

It wasn't so bad, but limited to 2, so obviously a nonstarter here.

It had an interesting side effect whereby the second player would often do their own loot check when the first player triggered theirs, a sort of "eh why not" gesture, which felt less forced than another player immediately breaking you out of your moment with a global pause action.

molnizzle

I could imagine a split screen mode being implemented and optional but not feasible on the current gen hardware. An option to combine the two - split screen when leaving the zone or when accessing inventory, and joining screens when within range of each other - would be my happy medium.

I don't mean to poop on the party, just wanted to post what swayed my opinion.

WTF am I reading... shitting on zoom out, actually wanting split-screen? Christ.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
For anyone curious, the console versions are 60FPS, but they are seemingly sub HD (as per b3D). Somewhere in the vicinity of 1120x592 (not 720p).

Dahbomb

When you are in a local setting like that you can coordinate this stuff. You can do stuff like "hey man I want to check my gear" and the other guy can be like "nah man let's just do this part then we can check our stuff together".

Of course none of these are issues if you play online co op.

Sothpaw

Wonder if the PS4/XBO versions will include the expansion, then...?

I'd prefer to play the game on PC, but since the expansion won't enable controller support, I'm looking towards consoles. IMO, combat systems for top-down ARPGs are much better with a controller than mouse clickfests.

You give up precise spell placement to mash buttons on a controller instead of a mouse. Not a good trade.

Dreaver

I'm pretty sad to read that the release date for PS4 is TBA. I pre-ordered a Playstation 4 today, I was actually thinking (hoping?) that Diablo 3 was a launch game. The game looks so much fun and I would love to play this, but I don't want to buy the game now when the superior version releases a few months later. Can't wait anyways.

Drame

Been watching streams and videos all night and the port is looking really good. It was fun to see that even a couple legendarys dropped to some players from act 1. Had no idea that the game is running at 60 fps, which is great as my pc slouched with the game in some parts.

Pre-ordered the ps3 version and can't wait to rush the to inferno with a barb this time! Although, I have try and see how DH plays with extra dodges and a pad.

Autofokus

Played the PS3 version for about an hour so far. It's pretty good. I've never played a Diablo game before (just Torchlight on my shitty computer) so I can't really make any comments about the console version vs PC but I can answer any questions anyone has.

Does the PS3 version supports LAN Play?

BigDug13

Does the PS3 version supports LAN Play?

From their console FAQ:

"Posted by Grimiku
The Playstation 3 supports LAN, while the Xbox has a system link feature, and Diablo III will work with both of them. In short, Diablo III on console supports LAN on both systems."

Not sure what the difference is between "system link" and "LAN" other than naming?

molnizzle

BigDug13 said:
Not sure what the difference is between "system link" and "LAN" other than naming?

I don't think 360 supports "LAN" play in any capacity besides its proprietary system-to-system link feature. I could be wrong though.

hey debating picking this up but just a couple questions

1. I already own this on PC do I get anything if I buy the console versions? (I don't think characters carry over?)

2. Has anyone announced if there will be a ps3-ps4 save transfer tool?

turnbuckle

WTF am I reading... shitting on zoom out, actually wanting split-screen? Christ.

I don't know what you're reading but it wasn't my post.

I like that it zooms out. What I'd also like is the option to have it split the screen when a player zones out or uses the pause menu. An option.

But I love that it zooms out to cover a lot more area than what you'd see in the PC version.

Skeff

I can Confirm Diablo 3 is 720p or below on PS3 as my PS3 is only outputting 720p when I load the game.

So it begins...Will Use Spoilers if anyone wants to go in completely dark

Nice CGI intro though, definitely nice bitrate thanks to the Blu-ray.

Supports multi-region or region locked multiplayer and language filtering for multiplayer

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'd like to get this mainly because of controller support but...

I wish I could do something with the PC version I bought though, feels like I threw $60 down a well.

It seems like you get some new random item for completing basic quest stuff.

I am not really bashing it but other games have provided more elegant solutions to this. I think it's not a big problem with like 2 players but with 4 players that could get annoying.

Simple, just work together a group and do your inventory managment in segments. That's how me and friends would do it. Play for 30 minutes or so. Stop and equip/etc :p It's an effect of couch co-op and worth it imo.

Sioen

I can Confirm Diablo 3 is 720p or below on PS3 as my PS3 is only outputting 720p when I load the game.

So it begins...
Well, I'm not expecting a graphical showcase but atleast it's 60 fps which is a wise choice of Blizzard.

Autofokus

From their console FAQ:

"Posted by Grimiku
The Playstation 3 supports LAN, while the Xbox has a system link feature, and Diablo III will work with both of them. In short, Diablo III on console supports LAN on both systems."

Ah, nice. Thank you very much. :)

My PC sucks, so I can't wait to try the X360 or the PS3 version, since I'm not sure which one to get. Still, I can't wait to get my hands on some awesome loot.

Also, 60 FPS is a glorious thing to see. I have no issues with sub-HD if that was the neccessary compromise.

Effnine

I apologize if this has been answered, but for 2 player local co-op, is the 2nd player's character saved along with the first player? In other words, can the 2nd player log in with their profile and save like that? I assume this would be the case, but you never know.

quickwhips

From their console FAQ:

"Posted by Grimiku

Its just what MS calls lan games. We do system link halo games on weekends. Same difference.

Freezard

Played through act 1 today 2-3 player local co-op. Took a while to get rare items but after skeleton king we got a lot of em. No legendaries though :( Works really nicely on console, especially that the other players can go afk so that the AI takes over/teleports. But the item management is really cumbersome, can you really not see the stats of an item before picking it up? Disaster if not. After a while we skipped picking up most stuff since gold is useless without AH anyway (just used it to upgrade the blacksmith).

A few new things compared to the PC version which made me go 'duh, why is this not on PC already'. Also the camera is usually more zoomed-in which is both good and bad since if another player is lagging behind you don't see what's up ahead.

Nerix

Does anyone know if the PS3 savegame will be compatible with the PS4 version of the game?

If that would be the case, I would think about getting the current gen version and switch over later.

Skeff

Just killed the skeleton king, received 2 yellow items as drops, Both usable as main weapon for my class. Seems like useful loot tables even if it isn't the smart loot.

EDIT: also recievedd some yellow rarity pants as a reward, also nicely usable.

Velocity

What do you guys think about the Witch Doctor? It looks like a hugely fun class to me, but I won't play it if its underpowered.

I think Witch Doctor is immensely fun to play as. Lots of ways to play, and definitely feels different than the other classes.

I wouldn't say any class is "underpowered" in this game. Every class has its own kind of cookie-cutter power build, but it's ultimately up to you on how you want to build your character. It's what is most fun for you.

I think Witch Doctor is immensely fun to play as. Lots of ways to play, and definitely feels different than the other classes.

I wouldn't say any class is "underpowered" in this game. Every class has its own kind of cookie-cutter power build, but it's ultimately up to you on how you want to build your character. It's what is most fun for you.

Excellent, I'll use Witch Doctor then. Looks super fun, and I want to try something else after playing dozens of RPGs with Wizards/Warriors/Rouges. This looks really fresh.

Jrmint

Just killed the skeleton king, received 2 yellow items as drops, Both usable as main weapon for my class. Seems like useful loot tables even if it isn't the smart loot.

EDIT: also recievedd some yellow rarity pants as a reward, also nicely usable.
There's not loot tables. It's completely random.

Although on console the type of item may drop according to your class.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
bba97UM.jpg

Is that the infamous thumb that almost killed you?

Spades

Fun weekend of gaming ahead!

tumblr_msdbslVuMb1qiv7luo1_500.jpg

Diablo feels great on a console, they've done a great job. I only put a few hours into the PC version (because I prefer to game on a console) so I'm really looking forward to investing some serious time into this port.

paolo11

Played through act 1 today 2-3 player local co-op. Took a while to get rare items but after skeleton king we got a lot of em. No legendaries though :( Works really nicely on console, especially that the other players can go afk so that the AI takes over/teleports. But the item management is really cumbersome, can you really not see the stats of an item before picking it up? Disaster if not. After a while we skipped picking up most stuff since gold is useless without AH anyway (just used it to upgrade the blacksmith).

A few new things compared to the PC version which made me go 'duh, why is this not on PC already'. Also the camera is usually more zoomed-in which is both good and bad since if another player is lagging behind you don't see what's up ahead.

When playing single player, is your camera more zoomed in than the PC version? Also, can you control the camera?

Freezard

What do you guys think about the Witch Doctor? It looks like a hugely fun class to me, but I won't play it if its underpowered.

I think WD is the best class without AH, I'm using the firebat build which is really solid and doesn't require very good items. But a rend barb works really well too. The only underpowered class currently is DH.

Freezard

When playing single player, is your camera more zoomed in than the PC version? Also, can you control the camera?

Yes definitely more zoomed in. I saw some details I never noticed before (unfortunately jaggies are more apparent too). And no you can't control the camera.

Top Bottom