• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

The only thing turning me off about this game is the weapon damage mechanic - a Wizard with a 1H or 2H more powerful than a staff/wand just doesn't sit well with me.

The only thing turning me off about this game is the weapon damage mechanic - a Wizard with a 1H or 2H more powerful than a staff/wand just doesn't sit well with me.

Ha yes. My wizard had a huge 2 handed sword for such a long time. My monk would have more damage with a 2 handed axe but I'm sticking with the fist weapons, just feels better to play.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You got that list?
Sure! Uploaded from my phone:

c6c3kgh.jpg

BLTG3n0

Neo Member
Mighty tempted to pick this up, but with gta around the corner I'm not sure Ill be able to give it the time it deserves.

This. I'm trying my best not to start anything new until then, this included. Timing is unfortunate since i've been looking forward to being able to give D3 a decent chance offline with no Auction House interference.

kinggroin

Banned
This game. What a fuck you to pc gamers.

Happy for you guys though. Game is amazing and will be at it's best now that AH is out. Enjoy, and don't sleep on this.

This still hasn't been fixed? That is just ridiculous. :D

The problem with that is even on the PC version currently there are some specs that work better in some scenarios with a two hander - the problem being most of the time a Skorn is the obvious choice.

Now keep in mind it's probably going to be easier in the PS3/360 version to find a good two hander before you find a good one hander AND a good off-hand. I bet a lot of the game as we know it now will look differently once people realize the game is a whole different beast on console.

turnbuckle

Is there a way to get this cheaper than the $59 or so that it is on Amazon?

I own this on PC, I'd like to get it eventually on PS4, so there's no way I'm paying close to that for the PS3 version unless there was a trade-up program announced. :(

turnbuckle

I sort of agree, but there are wands that give specific bonuses to wizards. And wand/source set bonuses as well.

But the way damage works currently and with a lack of the ability to enchant, it's definitely a valid criticism. On the other hand, this makes it so you're not stuck using a wand for your character. But a wizard casting spells from a hammer does feel kind of like a demon hunter shooting arrows from a sword.

Or something like that, but you know what I mean lol.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

alterno69

Banned
Day one for me, i really liked the trial version on PC but was too busy to play it at the time, this will be perfect for me cause a couple of friends will get it to play coop, real time combat whould be fun too.

Velocity

Sorry to backtrack the thread a bit, but:

Are you getting it on launch Robin? Playing solo or coop? Online or with buddies?

Jealous!

Loot 2.0 is in the console version, yeah.

From what I've read it seems more like it's shipping with loot 2.0 "lite". Not the full package that's coming for PC, but a custom-tailored version for consoles to make up for no AH. Shouldn't be hard to patch into the game at a later point though so here's hoping it makes it.

^^^ Is correct. Just better itemization tailored for console play, but no Loot 2.0 in this version. At least not yet.

Honestly, the way I see it, the PS4 version will probably come with Reaper of Souls in-tow, or it will be DLC right after it releases. This is probably why there's no comment on RoS for consoles right now.

I can see the PS4 version having Reaper of Souls(including all of its benefits), 1080p, better graphics, better monster density, etc. It has always seemed off to me to how they announced a console version, and only a few weeks before it releases announce the expansion for PC. It was totally overdue for x-pac announcement, but it leaves a weird hole in the console release.

I'm certain PS3 and 360 versions will get patch updates, but will they get Reaper of Souls or even the second expansion? Somehow, I don't think so. That's next-gen territory.

Vol5

I think I'll pick this up to keep me occupied until gta.

Looks like blizzard have given this some real love and attention. I honestly thought it would be a lazy port. 60fps is the sweet, sweet cherry on top

Velocity

any word on screen tearing (or hopefully a lack of it)?

You shouldn't see any screen tearing. I don't think the game is a locked 60fps, but it's pretty solid and definitely no screen tearing.

Watching the IGN stream, this is how I interpreted the conversation I came in on: "Diablo 3 sux. U should still play it if your new on console, but it's not Diablo 2. Like wtf, lol Blizz screwed up."

Way to talk up the game, guys.

this may have been answered already (i tried google)
is there a difference between 360 / PS3 versions? I have both systems so is there one recommended over the other?

sorry if this is a stupid question...

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
So, IGN is running Livestream of this game right now..... I load up the video, and see the guy in the middle, Vinny Ingenito, who I hadn't heard from in two years since he used to live in NY, sitting in the middle playing Diable III on a console. Very strange feeling.

d0c_zaius

You shouldn't see any screen tearing. I don't think the game is a locked 60fps, but it's pretty solid and definitely no screen tearing.

Watching the IGN stream, this is how I interpreted the conversation I came in on: "Diablo 3 sux. U should still play it if your new on console, but it's not Diablo 2. Like wtf, lol Blizz screwed up."

Way to talk up the game, guys.

great thanks! I'm interested in checking it out.

Dahbomb

Kill Skeleton King on Normal... get a Rare...

... which is a Monk only weapon when neither of the players were a Monk.

Yup, this is not smart drop/Loot 2.0.

Velocity

Oh shit, no need to identify items anymore? That's a feature I actually didn't know of. Didn't expect to learn anything from the IGN stream.

V_Arnold

It is not, but if people will moan/cry about that, then there is no resilence/endurance/whatever in this world anymore :p

AwRy108

is there a difference between 360 / PS3 versions? I have both systems so is there one recommended over the other?

I don't think there's any details available regarding their differences; either that, or they just aren't being discussed.

Dahbomb

It is not, but if people will moan/cry about that, then there is no resilence/endurance/whatever in this world anymore :p
It's not something to moan/cry about but that's not a significant improvement over the PC version that some people are expecting.

Also no need to Identify Yellows on the console co-op version! There might be identify for Legendaries though, they haven't gotten one yet.

Got this on pc and finished it once with my monk. For some reason I'm excited about playing this on 360. Will grab it tomorrow for sure.

Smart drop is supposed to be 100% guaranteed drop for your class? I thought there is still randomness, just less drops but better stats.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Console differences haven't been spotted so far, we just know that both will run at 60 FPS, and based on the pre-release shots and streams they look the same visually. Gonna have to wait till the post-release Digital Foundry comparisons start popping up I guess.

Dahbomb

Smart drop is supposed to be 100% guaranteed drop for your class? I thought there is still randomness, just less drops but better stats.
It's not 100% but I think the first drop you get from new bosses are geared towards your class. Plus on higher difficulties they are always legendaries.

Some other co-op stuff:

*One person teleporting teleports everyone back

*When someone dies, they can resurrect themselves. When everyone dies they can either resurrect at their graves or resurrect at the previous checkpoint.

*Some skills have been changed for balance around console version

that's on purpose .. They wanted to push the AH and community aspect.
There's no AH on the console version...

turnbuckle

Watching the stream and reading more info about the console version has convinced me not to get this for PS3 afterall. I hadn't been keeping up on many of the changes, but I'm definitely not picking it up. Some of the changes sound performance related though, so perhaps they'll be taken care of in the PS4/XB1 versions.

quoting a few bits from the faq that changed my decision from possible buy to no buy:

Diablo III Console FAQ

Q: How does multiplayer work locally?
A: Up to 4 players can play on the same screen, however they cannot leave the same screen. If some players run ahead or in different directions, the camera will zoom out to accommodate everyone on the screen, but only up to a point. Once that point is reached, players who are left behind will either be forced to move (they kind of get dragged along the edge of the screen) or they will be teleported to the group automatically. (Source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9281828262#2 )

Q: What is different from the PC version to the console version?
A: A lot has changed. With controller support, Blizzard has added an 'dodge' function (called Evade), the camera has been zoomed in slightly for better views, monster density has been customised for console to make sure you have enemies on the screen, but not so many that you would be completely overwhelmed, ‘Nephalem Power Orbs’ have been added which drop randomly (like health orbs) and give a slight, but temporary boost to your character’s abilities. These are just some of the new features in the console version.

Q: How will town portals work in multiplayer? Just disabled or ports everyone to town or?
A: If someone cast town portal while you're in a multiplayer game on a single console, then everyone in the local coop party goes back to town. If you're playing a multiplayer game online, however, town portal will just send the caster back. (Source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9281828262#5 )

Q: Seen in one of the e3 vids "Nightmare(Easy)" What does this mean? is there also different difficulties like Monster Power?

A: Taken from here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9281758533#17

Yes and no.

Difficulty levels and Monster Power operate a little differently on console. There will still be Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno, and completing one mode will unlock the next mode -- just like on PC. Also, within each of these modes players will able to select from different difficulty levels to suit their preferred level of challenge. On console, however, there are only 8 settings: Easy, Medium, Hard, Master I, Master II, Master III, Master IV, and Master V. At Medium and higher in Inferno, density does increase, but the increase won't be as significant as what you'd typically see on PC (due to performance issues). Similar to MP on PC, higher difficulty settings present more powerful enemies that will have opportunity to reward players with more powerful loot.

For perspective, here's the current scaling (note that this may change before we ship):

Easy = Monster Power 0
Medium = Monster Power 2
Hard = Monster Power 4
Master I = Monster Power 6
Master II = Monster Power 7
Master III = Monster Power 8
Master IV = Monster Power 9
Master V = Monster Power 10

Also, one player using the menu pausing the game for everyone else would be really frustrating.

Skeff

My buddy who reviews games is going camping this weekend, luckily he's finished his Review so I should be playing Diablo 3 on PS3 in about 2 hours, Anything I should know? and I can answer some questions but i've never played a Diablo game before, I know, I'm sorry, But I'll try to answer your questions if you like but remember:

I don't get the game for another 2 hours
I have never played Diablo
I will be offline only as I do not wish to get my PSN banned.
I'm not a master at discerning resolution, The best info you'll be able to get is if my TV switches to 720p or 1080p when the game boots, and we all know that doesn't tell the truth.

Try and quote this so it's easier to spot if you ask questions.

Dahbomb

Most of those aren't as bad as it may sound. I am watching them playing and the monster density seems fine. And the whole not going off screen for couch co-op makes complete sense, which doesn't apply for online co-op. The off screen thing isn't a performance issue though.

But yeah one player pausing the menu to check their inventory is sort of annoying but that's the whole couch co-op experience. As is first come first serve basis for loot drop.

quoting a few bits from the faq that changed my decision from possible buy to no buy:
That's for local multiplayer. Not sure how it would work otherwise.

Also, one player using the menu pausing the game for everyone else would be really frustrating.
Now this I could see being annoying, depending. It helps that you can manipulate some aspects of your inventory without going into the menus.

Lord Phol

Watching the stream and reading more info about the console version has convinced me not to get this for PS3 afterall. I hadn't been keeping up on many of the changes, but I'm definitely not picking it up. Some of the changes sound performance related though, so perhaps they'll be taken care of in the PS4/XB1 versions.

Diablo III Console FAQ

Seems pretty similar to the Champions of Norrath/Dark Alliance games, not a problem for me. Will be playing 2 player couch co-op, single player or online most of the time anyways.

Maddog

Played the PS3 version for about an hour so far. It's pretty good. I've never played a Diablo game before (just Torchlight on my shitty computer) so I can't really make any comments about the console version vs PC but I can answer any questions anyone has.

turnbuckle

Most of those aren't as bad as it may sound. I am watching them playing and the monster density seems fine. And the whole not going off screen for couch co-op makes complete sense, which doesn't apply for online co-op. The off screen thing isn't a performance issue though.

But yeah one player pausing the menu to check their inventory is sort of annoying but that's the whole couch co-op experience. As is first come first serve basis for loot drop.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks incredibly fun on console. Those are just a few quality of life things that would get annoying and could possibly be fixed in a PS4/XB1 version. I could imagine a split screen mode being implemented and optional but not feasible on the current gen hardware. An option to combine the two - split screen when leaving the zone or when accessing inventory, and joining screens when within range of each other - would be my happy medium.

I don't mean to poop on the party, just wanted to post what swayed my opinion. Also, no confirmation on follow-up patches has me extra hesitant to double-dip (and possibly triple dip if the PS4 version takes care of my main concerns).

- also, I don't have any issue whatsoever with "first come first serve" loot lol. At least it only applies to local players so you don't get someone ninja-ing everything and not sharing.

Dahbomb

I think next gen/PC version will be definitive but stuff like one screen for everyone is probably not going to change for a next gen version. I don't think a split screen style would work that well for this type of game.

I am not getting console versions because I have D3 on PC already and that will for sure be getting patches/expansion first. But the console version definitely looks fun for casuals. The roll seems very useful for dodging attacks or getting out of ice paths/poison grounds in clutch situations.

Top Bottom