• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Pimpn Drop Bear

Neo Member
Just gonna add my experience with the loot on console so far... I have a bunch of lvl 60 characters on pc, and the loot is miles better. Im on my first run on normal x360 with a wizard. At the point where you get the blood of zultan kulle in act 2 I have gotten 2 wands, "autumns call" and "starfire" along with shoulders "barter town pads" and 3 chest armours an "aquila curass" and 2 different versions of "heart of iron" lol. Thats at least 6 legendaries by the middle of act 2... never saw that many on pc

Edit : on the same mission ive just got a legendary belt "vigilante belt" all before the end of act 2 on the first run..

Edit again... friggin same mission got "the crudest boots".... thats at least 8 legendaries so far, not too sure as I may have salvaged one or two

MrDaravon

this really annoys me. I also call it the "mass effect" syndrome.

new gun comes out - we all love it, kill everyone. Nerds complain its "too powerful" even though it doesnt matter as its NOT competitive multiplayer. People make enough noise, gun is nerfed, never to be used again.

The same thing will happen here. The game hasnt even properly come out, people complain weapon drops are "too good" - a major issue from the PC game is now addressed - Blizzard makes the drop rate back to the PC.

I wish people would just shut up and let everyone play and not complain about something which will enhance the gaming experience.

No, the problem I have is that unless they've made the higher MP levels significantly harder, these drops are literally so overpowered that the game is going to wind up being easy and boring as hell (ha!) even on the highest difficulty.

As a direct comparison, let's take that Manticore for example. Plugging ITADAKIMASU's into d3up it comes out to be ~25-30% better than mine, with some variance either way (would need to know what the IAS/Dex/CD rolls are on it), let's just say for the sake of argument it's 25% better than the one I currently have. And that's ignoring the fact that at 84 levels lower than me Ita's DH stats are nearly what mine are at after 600+ hours of play.

On Inferno MP10 on PC, the last boss has 257,601,872 HP. With my Manticore and stats, I can kill this boss with minimal difficulty. Now Ita just hit 60 which means he couldn't have started Inferno yet prior to getting that Manticore (unless they changed the Inferno requirements on console). So let's look at the HP the last boss has on Nightmare, and let's be super generous and assume he cleared it on the highest MP, which on the PC version would give that boss 77,216,000.

This means that after a few days (?) of play and pre-inferno he's already gotten a weapon 25% better than a currently near-end game PC weapon that can already clear content more than 3 times as hard.

If you really, legitimately don't see how some of us have balance concerns with the game not being super easy and boring as fuck I don't know what to tell you dude. My copy is on the way, so I'm genuinely hoping that at least the highest MP levels on console are harder than they are on PC, otherwise this is going to be a hilarious cakewalk from start to finish. It sounds like the drops are better in terms of dropping appropriate items for your class (which is good), I just don't think people were expecting them to also start drastically increasing DPS values on everything as well.

V_Arnold

Loot 1.5: Comfy Couch Edition. You do not want that stress from lack of loot or premature eja..I mean premature death!

Lord Phol

The over abundence of Legendaries is a bit worrying. Not that I care much about MP10 Inferno being too easy or whatever, but because it will just take away from the fun of finding that awesome rare loot. Going from one extreme to another is usually not the best solution, but I will have to play it for myself before I make any judgements. It still sounds way more fun than on PC.

If there's a big amount of unique legendaries and cool set items than it won't be as much of a problem.

BigDug13

The over abundence of Legendaries is a bit worrying. Not that I care much about MP10 Inferno being too easy or whatever, but because it will just take away from the fun of finding that awesome rare loot. Going from one extreme to another is usually not the best solution, but I will have to play it for myself before I make any judgements. It still sounds way more fun than on PC.

If there's a big amount of unique legendaries and cool set items than it won't be as much of a problem.

Lots of random stats still being rolled even on Legendaries. You could find 5 of the same exact legendary armor piece before you find one with the stats that you want.

It seems obvious now that the people who said loot on PC was tuned with auction house in mind were absolutely right. They knew items would be flooded into the economy because of the AH so drop rates were lowered to control the flow of loot.

No online economy this time and no AH so the game designers can simply make it the way it should have been from the start.

Jedi2016

It seems obvious now that the people who said loot on PC was tuned with auction house in mind were absolutely right. They knew items would be flooded into the economy because of the AH so drop rates were lowered to control the flow of loot.

No online economy this time and no AH so the game designers can simply make it the way it should have been from the start.
It'd be really nice if they let us activate a "self-found mode" on the PC version that locked out the AH completely, but switched the loot tables to be like the consoles.

RS4-

Decided to pick up the ps3 version just for the hell of it to see how the game is without the need for AH and console loot drops.

I...actually don't mind playing it on pad.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Grats Diablo 3! You just became the first multi-platform game I chose to buy on PS3 over 360. Day 1 digital + potential PS4 transfer sold me. Hope I don't regret it when digital foundry makes their comparison.

Dahbomb

I don't have a problem with loot being good or abundant, I have a problem with the game's difficulty at MP10 (or Master V on the consoles). MP10 is designed to be a mode for the best of the best, its for the top class gear which if you are playing self found should take you around P70 or higher to get at that level. If I can effeciently farm MP10 difficulty on self found before p20 or even p10 then that's a broken game IMO. It will destroy the shelf life of the game but more importantly it will dilute the challenge of Hardcore mode as well as the MP levels.

Also I have one more question... do you get Legendaries for other classes in Inferno? Right now I have seen mostly DHs getting DH Legendaries. I would like to self find an Inna piece as DH.

Billen

Banned
So, yeah, I wasn't planning on buying this. Change of plan I guess. My wife loves Diablo as well, so the coop will be something else. :D

paolo11

When talking about framerate drops, is it frequent or how long are the drops in Act 2 and 3? Is it the whole Act?

I don't have a problem with loot being good or abundant, I have a problem with the game's difficulty at MP10 (or Master V on the consoles). MP10 is designed to be a mode for the best of the best, its for the top class gear which if you are playing self found should take you around P70 or higher to get at that level. If I can effeciently farm MP10 difficulty on self found before p20 or even p10 then that's a broken game IMO. It will destroy the shelf life of the game but more importantly it will dilute the challenge of Hardcore mode as well as the MP levels.

Also I have one more question... do you get Legendaries for other classes in Inferno? Right now I have seen mostly DHs getting DH Legendaries. I would like to self find an Inna piece as DH.

I'll check out Master 5 when I finish inferno master 1. The difficulty is different than on PC. For one, elites only have 3 affix but I think they are harder in terms of dmg they do and hp they have. You'd think I can just gib through with 33% crit over 350% crit dmg and 184k dps on first master difficulty but that's not the case. Stats I have on the stuff I got are far from ideal too, I am severely lacking AR or LS, I am getting 2-3 shotted with 161 AR, 74k hp.

As for other class legendaries, none dropped yet. Mostly crossbows for weapons but lots of different other stuff.

When talking about framerate drops, is it frequent or how long are the drops in Act 2 and 3? Is it the whole Act?

It's not often and doesn't really affect you much but you can still notice it. Only happens in sewers and bridge on act 3 when theres like 100 goblins, shamans, and stuff all over. Other than that, very smooth gameplay all the way.

MrDaravon

I'll check out Master 5 when I finish inferno master 1. The difficulty is different than on PC. For one, elites only have 3 affix but I think they are harder in terms of dmg they do and hp they have. You'd think I can just gib through with 33% crit over 350% crit dmg and 184k dps on first master difficulty but that's not the case. Stats I have on the stuff I got are far from ideal too, I am severely lacking AR or LS, I am getting 2-3 shotted with 161 AR, 74k hp.

This is very reassuring, I don't want them to go to far in one direction and just super buff all of the items but not the enemies and make it a cakewalk. Also glad to hear it sounds like the loot dropping mostly for your character is actually panning seemingly pretty well.

This is very reassuring, I don't want them to go to far in one direction and just super buff all of the items but not the enemies and make it a cakewalk. Also glad to hear it sounds like the loot dropping mostly for your character is actually panning seemingly pretty well.

Funny after that post about lack of defensive stats, this dropped :D Unfortunately lowest roll on dmg reduction.

I4Qk2rl.jpg

It's crazy I am still getting upgrades.

Solal

It's not often and doesn't really affect you much but you can still notice it. Only happens in sewers and bridge on act 3 when theres like 100 goblins, shamans, and stuff all over. Other than that, very smooth gameplay all the way.

Talking about the PS3 version or 360 please?

Dahbomb

I am getting 2-3 shotted with 161 AR, 74k hp.
That's supposed to happen though. Your 75K health is meaningless with terrible AR. Need to have at least 400-500 AR to actually survive stuff in Inferno high level MPs.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Damnit, wish I could be playing this while waiting for servers to open up on FFXIV.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Played a couple hours 3-player last night. I love how you can press up on the dpad to get a quick glimpse of your last picked up item, and either choose to equip or drop it without going into the inventory screen. Nice port.

hgplayer1

Any chance the crazy loot is because people are playing so early?

Does being offline or online affect anything? Could it once the game is officially out?

.la1n

Any chance the crazy loot is because people are playing so early?

Does being offline or online affect anything? Could it once the game is officially out?

Playing offline does not effect anything other than you aren't competing for drops with other players afaik.

Cipherr

Yeah I am with MrDaravon on this, the loot drops are now into over the top category and may loose their luster/appeal of rarity. I mean a 1400 DPS double socket Manticore is supposed to be a drop that DH DREAMS about.

I think Blizzard might have gone over board here but we'll see.

Indeed, it depends on what the new caps are. Im all for self found and no AH. But if you just happen across top 0.5% rolls on legendaries in the first few hours of play, it will kill the "Loot" aspect of the game. AH has nothing to do with it, I have never seen a Manticore like that even for SALE on either of the AH's. So either they intentionally uber buffed the roll percentages for the console version to shorten the game, or Loot 2.0 just became something Im not terribly interested in anymore.

Isn't that to compensate for lack of AH though?

Nah, nothing like that is on the AH. You just don't come across rolls like that often. It would be considered the perfect dream roll, its rare by intent.

...well, fuck. I guess that's "loot 2.0" in a nutshell.

Lets hope not.... unless they are massively raising the cap on item rolls.

I meant, are people angry that loot is too common now?

Well yeah. I mean, it is a loot game. At the end game you are supposed to push towards that top percentile of perfect rolls in every slot while refining your character. If it takes a few measly hours of play to put top 1% items in every slot, then why are you even playing a dungeon crawling loot game like Diablo in the first place? If the gear is that easy to get, you would drop a few hours into it and crush MP10 and likely never play again.

I can see the resemblance there to most console games, so I guess that instant gratification should have been expected for the port. Its just weird to see it in a Diablo game, port or not.

Can you bring a level one of another class into your Master game for crazy powerleveling?

Yep, tried that on co op yday. As long as the other characters have unlocked the mode (normal hell nightmare inferno), they can hop into the Master 5 game of that with the level 60 to kill everything.

Those self-found items are mouthwatering. I'm torn on this, as I've already invested a little over 200 hours into the PC version so far, and I'll have a few friends who only either have the PC version or the Xbox. Still, if Loot 2.0 is similar to the console loot, I might just have to hold off and hope time passes swiftly before the RoS pre-patch.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hype level reaching insanity-mode...

JCizzle

Those self-found items are mouthwatering. I'm torn on this, as I've already invested a little over 200 hours into the PC version so far, and I'll have a few friends who only either have the PC version or the Xbox. Still, if Loot 2.0 is similar to the console loot, I might just have to hold off and hope time passes swiftly before the RoS pre-patch.

LOL that is probably AT LEAST 6 months away. Blizzard is being a sack of dicks about this, but whatever it's going to be amazing to play the game how it should have been at launch.

Santar

My hype level is almost dropping with all this super legendary loot dropping everywhere. They've basically turned legendaries into yellows and blues into whites it seems. No longer will it be exciting to finally see a legendary item drop..
Maybe Blizz doesn't see the console version as a game that's supposed to last as long as the pc version.
Kinda detracts from the game that everything you find is tailored to your class and level now,
It's like those guided "hunts" where wannabe hunters are led tough a path to animals like that King of the Hill episode.

molnizzle

Well yeah. I mean, it is a loot game. At the end game you are supposed to push towards that top percentile of perfect rolls in every slot while refining your character. If it takes a few measly hours of play to put top 1% items in every slot, then why are you even playing a dungeon crawling loot game like Diablo in the first place?

Thing is, those aren't top 1% items. Maybe they would be on PC, but the PC version's loot tables and itemization were colossally fucked up due to the auction houses. Like, not even close to being in the realm of acceptability. You're comparing the console port to that atrocity and coming away awestruck. In actuality, those items are about what should have been dropping in the first place (in a world without the RMAH). The posted gear doesn't have many top-tier rolls. The long term appeal is still there for the min-maxing uberdorks. The only difference is that normal people can enjoy more of the higher-level game now too.

Keep in mind that enemy balance was completely re-done for the consoles too. Those numbers look good, but you have no idea how they actually relate to in-game survivability. This is a whole new animal.

Drame

Alright!

Normal run done with a barb on the PC to get the groove going for next Tuesday. Now it's only about playing the waiting game.

Also, leveling will be a breeze with the 55% exp buff. Co-Op with 4 players gives 30% more exp and the Infernal Helm another 25%.

Riggs

Banned
Thing is, those aren't top 1% items. Maybe they would be on PC, but the PC version's loot tables and itemization were colossally fucked up due to the auction houses. Like, not even close to being in the realm of acceptability. You're comparing the console port to that atrocity and coming away awestruck. In actuality, those items are about what should have been dropping in the first place (in a world without the RMAH). The posted gear doesn't have many top-tier rolls. The long term appeal is still there for the min-maxing uberdorks. The only difference is that normal people can enjoy more of the higher-level game now too.

Keep in mind that enemy balance was completely re-done for the consoles too. Those numbers look good, but you have no idea how they actually relate to in-game survivability. This is a whole new animal.

Into

Is it guaranteed we are getting GOTY edition. My friends think so.

Diablo 3 does not have DLC, so i am not sure what your friends think this "GOTY" version entails. Patches, even content patches are free.

They might port the RoS expansion pack that is coming, but that will be sold as a stand alone game, just like Blizzard always does it.

Maybe in 4-5 years you will see a Diablo 3 + RoS pack for 49.99, if you can wait that long.

Doubt you will see a GOTY version, this is not 2k, EA or Bethesda

JCizzle

Alright!

Normal run done with a barb on the PC to get the groove going for next Tuesday. Now it's only about playing the waiting game.

Also, leveling will be a breeze with the 55% exp buff. Co-Op with 4 players gives 30% more exp and the Infernal Helm another 25%.

Is there a gem slot in the helm for an exp gem?

Dahbomb

Yeah I am going to wait to see what the top tier rolls on the console version look like and what the values for the highest MP levels are.

MrDaravon

I agree that we need to wait and see on the enemy balance, but it's absolutely crucial that it's at been at least somewhat re-balanced here. I can already run the highest difficulty on PC with minimal issues and some of the gear he's posted after a few days of play fucking CRUSHES mine, so they better have done something with enemy balance.

Riggs

Banned
I agree that we need to wait and see on the enemy balance, but it's absolutely crucial that it's at been at least somewhat re-balanced here. I can already run the highest difficulty on PC with minimal issues and some of the gear he's posted after a few days of play fucking CRUSHES mine, so they better have done something with enemy balance.

You are comparing basically .... two different games at this point.

They share the same name, but they are not the same man. Without AH shit changes drastically. I've been saying this since day one, that loot drops suck in D3 (PC) because of the RMAH/AH ... simple as fucking that. Console version seems to show this is true, at least from the impressions.

Again I know it's Diablo 3 , but IMO these are very different games when you start looking past the box art and graphics.

Cipherr

My hype level is almost dropping with all this super legendary loot dropping everywhere. They've basically turned legendaries into yellows and blues into whites it seems. No longer will it be exciting to finally see a legendary item drop..
Maybe Blizz doesn't see the console version as a game that's supposed to last as long as the pc version.
Kinda detracts from the game that everything you find is tailored to your class and level now,
It's like those guided "hunts" where wannabe hunters are led tough a path to animals like that King of the Hill episode.

This.

Show me the roll ranges... Again, all I have to go on atm is the ranges for possible rolls for the PC version. If they have put the data up anywhere for console then show me. Otherwise, that Manticore is absolutely top 1% and some.

And yeah, of course I'm comparing them, there's no other release loot table information that I know of. If those items AREN'T top 1% then that means they colossally bloated item tiers/stats for the console versions, and thats not a good look either.

You are comparing basically .... two different games at this point.

They share the same name, but they are not the same man. Without AH shit changes drastically. I've been saying this since day one, that loot drops suck in D3 (PC) because of the RMAH/AH ... simple as fucking that. Console version seems to show this is true, at least from the impressions.

I dont see how... If you are saying that the enemies scale in HP and damage higher to compensate for the item bloat on consoles, the same could have been done in reverse (lowering the item stats, and lowering enemy HP and Damage), and it would prove nothing about the RMAH/AH at all. Just that they decided to scale HP and damage differently on the two versions.

Im sure AH had some impact on loot in some form, but to vaguely suggest that we would have seen the exact same item scaling in the PC version as the console version is showing is not something you have proven at all. For all we know they had a separate team balancing the console version versus the PC.

Neki

complain that there's no loot in the pc version

complain that there's too much loot in the console version

blizzard is never going to make everyone happy

Top Bottom