• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Cipherr

complain that there's no loot in the pc version

complain that there's too much loot in the console version

blizzard is never going to make everyone happy

Again, we are commenting on the scale. The items in question would be top .5% on the PC game. Being thrown by the idea of having the absolute best rolls just fall into your hands in under a weeks playtime is not the same thing as complaining that there is to much loot. There should still be a gradual process that involves 'gearing up' to get to the higher difficulty levels. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Getting MP10 capable sets of gear by the time you hit inferno is clearly on the excessive side outside of hilariously ridiculous luck.

smr00

Banned
complain that there's no loot in the pc version

complain that there's too much loot in the console version

blizzard is never going to make everyone happy
If they ever try to change the loot on consoles because of the cry babies i just wont update until i get the items i need.

It's like people fail to understand there is no AH. You HAVE to increase drop rate because most people are not going to go out of there way to fine people to trade with online or deal with it so it ends up being just the items they find or trading with friends. You can't just put your credit card on here and buy everything you need.

Riggs

Banned
If they ever try to change the loot on consoles because of the cry babies i just wont update until i get the items i need.

It's like people fail to understand there is no AH. You HAVE to increase drop rate because most people are not going to go out of there way to fine people to trade with online or deal with it so it ends up being just the items they find or trading with friends. You can't just put your credit card on here and buy everything you need.

This ....

I can't believe people argue against this logic. It's basic shit.

Cipherr

This ....

I can't believe people argue against this logic. It's basic shit.

No, you are just reading it wrong. We understand that there is no AH. We understand self found, shit we were wanting it at release for the PC version... We understand it perfectly. However..... dropping the absolute top tier loot in the game RIGHT off the bat seems a bit much eh? Does no AH mean that there should be zero advancement in loot because you get everything instantly?

Did noone else play Diablo II and notice that while having no AH it still managed to have a gradual loot incrementing system that didn't just hand you the best items immediately? Its not our logic thats the problem, I think you may be going out of the way to argue against something noone is actually saying.

If it turns out that they dialed up every possible cap stat for rolls, and that the items we are seeing aren't as 'good' as they seem, then fine. But I havent seen anything definitive of that yet.

Neki

Again, we are commenting on the scale. The items in question would be top .5% on the PC game. Being thrown by the idea of having the absolute best rolls just fall into your hands in under a weeks playtime is not the same thing as complaining that there is to much loot. There should still be a gradual process that involves 'gearing up' to get to the higher difficulty levels. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Getting MP10 capable sets of gear by the time you hit inferno is clearly on the excessive side outside of hilariously ridiculous luck.

I doubt there's some magic formula Blizzard can apply that allows a gradual scale of gear. You either go too much in one direction (pre-patch Diablo 3) or you go too much into one direction (Torchlight 2). I don't think I've ever played a loot RPG where I honestly felt the gear levels were on par. Everyone's perception of "too little" or "too much" loot is much different, so like I said, it's impossible to appease everyone, just like in this thread. If anything, in a console game like this, in a closed system, I'd rather the loot be too much because me getting too much loot isn't going to affect anyone else. (no AH).

Did noone else play Diablo II and notice that while having no AH it still managed to have a gradual loot incrementing system that didnt just hand you the best items immediately?
Is Diablo 2 really a good example? Diablo 2 thrived because of an active trading player base keeping the game alive for at least a decade. I doubt it would have lasted that long without d2jsp, regardless of how good or bad the loot was. All Diablo 3 did was cut out the middle man.

edit: well that and the ladder system, I still wonder why Diablo 3 hasn't implemented that.

Riggs

Banned
No, you are just reading it wrong. We understand that there is no AH. We understand self found, shit we were wanting it at release for the PC version... We understand it perfectly. However..... dropping the absolute top tier loot in the game RIGHT off the bat seems a bit much eh? Does no AH mean that there should be zero advancement in loot because you get everything instantly?

Did noone else play Diablo II and notice that while having no AH it still managed to have a gradual loot incrementing system that didnt just hand you the best items immediately?

I wish it was like that honestly, but I'll take D3 console over PC any day. I feel what you are saying, but Blizzard will never get it down. It's like black or white with these guys.

the red worm

Neo Member
Diablo 3 does not have DLC, so i am not sure what your friends think this "GOTY" version entails. Patches, even content patches are free.

They might port the RoS expansion pack that is coming, but that will be sold as a stand alone game, just like Blizzard always does it.

Maybe in 4-5 years you will see a Diablo 3 + RoS pack for 49.99, if you can wait that long.

Doubt you will see a GOTY version, this is not 2k, EA or Bethesda

It's blizzard it'd be called a battle chest.

Cipherr

Is Diablo 2 really a good example? Diablo 2 thrived because of an active trading player base keeping the game alive for at least a decade. I doubt it would have lasted that long without d2jsp, regardless of how good or bad the loot was. All Diablo 3 did was cut out the middle man.

I definitely think its a good example. There's no denying that stuff like D2JSP gave it an incredible life, but I'm sure it would have had a longish life without it. Certainly longer than what D3 is shaping up to have.

Riggs said:
I wish it was like that honestly, but I'll take D3 console over PC any day. I feel what you are saying, but Blizzard will never get it down. It's like black or white with these guys.

I hope thats not how it goes. Hopefully they just dramatically raised item caps on the console version, so what looks like a top Manticore to PC players is just a mid tier Manticore for the console version. That would at least leave room for upgrades and loot runs.

I just can't see D3 as a worthwhile game just for its story, if it doesnt have loot progression, its just a fairly mediocre game with fun combat. The story can't carry it because the story awful.

Riggs

Banned
I definitely think its a good example. There's no denying that stuff like D2JSP gave it an incredible life, but I'm sure it would have had a longish life without it. Certainly longer than what D3 is shaping up to have.

I hope thats not how it goes. Hopefully they just dramatically raised item caps on the console version, so what looks like a top Manticore to PC players is just a mid tier Manticore for the console version. That would at least leave room for upgrades and loot runs.

I just can't see D3 as a worthwhile game just for its story, if it doesnt have loot progression, its just a fairly mediocre game with fun combat. The story can't carry it because the story awful.

We can hope, I still can't believe I am buying this. No arguments with ya over the story, pretty much worst ever lol.

BigDug13

Did noone else play Diablo II and notice that while having no AH it still managed to have a gradual loot incrementing system that didn't just hand you the best items immediately? Its not our logic thats the problem, I think you may be going out of the way to argue against something noone is actually saying.

If it turns out that they dialed up every possible cap stat for rolls, and that the items we are seeing aren't as 'good' as they seem, then fine. But I havent seen anything definitive of that yet.

I just see this as not the game with the same longevity as it has on PC. This time it's a fun couch co-op romp through an action RPG with 5 classes and lots of great loot. If you're wanting a game where it takes you over 200 hours per character to gear up, you won't find it here. It's a more fluid and tastier plate of food that is satisfying then it's over instead of a steady stream of nutrients that is merely adequate like an IV drip that lasts forever.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The story's terrible and of course the loot isn't great (though its lookin good for console depending on how good it gets etc) but I tell you something, playing today with my Barbarian gaaaawd damn is it satisfying to play. Every hit has such a great crunch. If only they could get the loot perfect..... (will probably end up getting the console version this week too)

Neki

The combat definitely carries the game for me. The reason why I could play my Demon Hunter for so long because it felt so good killing stuff, shooting and vaulting around the place while enemies exploded. It's visceral and responsive, and I love it.

eek5

The story's terrible and of course the loot isn't great (though its lookin good for console depending on how good it gets etc) but I tell you something, playing today with my Barbarian gaaaawd damn is it satisfying to play. Every hit has such a great crunch. If only they could get the loot perfect..... (will probably end up getting the console version this week too)

D3's combat is really great. It has ruined other ARPGs for me though especially if their combat systems aren't very fluid. :(

MrDaravon

You are comparing basically .... two different games at this point.

They share the same name, but they are not the same man. Without AH shit changes drastically. I've been saying this since day one, that loot drops suck in D3 (PC) because of the RMAH/AH ... simple as fucking that. Console version seems to show this is true, at least from the impressions.

Again I know it's Diablo 3 , but IMO these are very different games when you start looking past the box art and graphics.

I honestly have no idea what you're getting it. My point is that within a few days people are getting items that are literally impossible on PC which is fine, BUT with that in mind I want to see if the enemy difficulty is re-balanced. I'm not talking in a vacuum about the stats on the items themselves, I'm talking about the items relative to this version of the game.

IF they did no enemy difficulty rebalancing whatsoever, and the items we're seeing are dropping, this would make the highest difficulty in the game an absolute cakewalk before people are even getting there. My concern here isn't comparing the two versions directly, my worry is that if they didn't actually (at least to some extent) rebalance the enemy difficulty in this verison people are going to be easily clearing Inferno on the highest difficulty within a week or two which is ridiculous and kills any shelf life of the game. I'm picking this version up to play with friends who don't have or don't game on PC so they've never played the game, but if a week or two out we've cleared Inferno on the highest difficulty with great ease that's a pretty big failure to me.

I just see this as not the game with the same longevity as it has on PC. This time it's a fun couch co-op romp through an action RPG with 5 classes and lots of great loot. If you're wanting a game where it takes you over 200 hours per character to gear up, you won't find it here. It's a more fluid and tastier plate of food that is satisfying then it's over instead of a steady stream of nutrients that is merely adequate like an IV drip that lasts forever.

I agree with this, some of us are just worried that they may have potentially taken it too far in that direction (again, no one knows for sure yet). There's multiple difficulties and tiers which should in theory allow for both casual co-op buddies and hardcore players to both be satisfied; if they're going to make it a cakewalk to clear the hardest difficulty why even have multiple difficulties?

Riggs

Banned
I honestly have no idea what you're getting it. My point is that within a few days people are getting items that are literally impossible on PC which is fine, BUT with that in mind I want to see if the enemy difficulty is re-balanced. I'm not talking in a vacuum about the stats on the items themselves, I'm talking about the items relative to this version of the game.

IF they did no enemy difficulty rebalancing whatsoever, and the items we're seeing are dropping, this would make the highest difficulty in the game an absolute cakewalk before people are even getting there. My concern here isn't comparing the two versions directly, my worry is that if they didn't actually (at least to some extent) rebalance the enemy difficulty in this verison people are going to be easily clearing Inferno on the highest difficulty within a week or two which is ridiculous and kills any shelf life of the game. I'm picking this version up to play with friends who don't have or don't game on PC so they've never played the game, but if a week or two out we've cleared Inferno on the highest difficulty with great ease that's a pretty big failure to me.

Agree with you that enemy's will need to be harder, I don't know I just get fuckigng emotional about this game. Don't worry about me.

MrDaravon

Agree with you that enemy's will need to be harder, I don't know I just get fuckigng emotional about this game. Don't worry about me.

Okay? I mean I agree with you on the other stuff, I think we're just having slightly different conversations. I'm just going to be bummed out if by fixing the loot/drops (or however you want to phrase it) they made the game a total cakewalk.

Riggs

Banned
Okay? I mean I agree with you on the other stuff, I think we're just having slightly different conversations. I'm just going to be bummed out if by fixing the loot/drops (or however you want to phrase it) they made the game a total cakewalk.

Ya I think I just wanted to say "Hey look I was right all this time, fuck you blizzard" ... because I am still pissed off that D3 never gives me shit for drops. I put in so much time (Not like Yoshi time but still, he never got shit anyway) and nothing ever fucking drops. I am still pissed that it wasn't the game I wanted it to be.

Definitely I don't want a cake walk though, so I hope they make stuff hard as hell on higher MP levels within Inferno.

Lord Phol

That's pretty much how I see it as well.
In the end though, nothing is proven until people have played it for awhile.

Skeff

That's what some are saying but from further research there are dips, but only when there is complete and total chaos on screen. Other than that, it's supposed to be smooth as silk.

Yea, it seems to from what I see, however it could dip when theres a lot going on because i'm really engrossed playing it.

There is some screen tearing at the start of act for me though but then it was only there for a 1 minute segment or so...

It's definitely a nice port IMO.

Zaventem

Diablo.png

We no longer need to wish.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You and me bud, we're the same... Glad you might buy this though! I am stoked!

Uhm no...
D2 having no in game ah was a plus, but ppl organizza trade and ah on various site for items, because sure you might be' luck, but luck in d2 was not enough..
To get real end game stuff you either had to BOT or to trade with people that most likely botted...
Sure buriza was cheap, you could farm perfect gem, say 20-30 and you could get a low all buriza..
Now high end windforce?
Yes like... No...

What most people try to forget blatantly is that unless you were a rng deity, to deck a char at end game/bis level you needed astronomic amount of time or of tradable gear..
Most ppl star blissfully ignorant of this because in d2 the hot stuff was clearing hell.. Or later doing ubers for those dedicated enough.. But for clearing hell you didn't need zomg-gear..
In diablo 3 clearing hell is not the end, mp10 and finishing hell might ne the top tier.. And to reach that top tre the gear/farm requirement is bollock

Both d2 and d3 have defect in gear aquisition curve, but i. Reality in d2 there was no end game that could benefit greatly of top end gear, in d3 there is (mp10) and ppl feel let's say cheated for having content out of their reach lest they farm ah or play A LOT..

Btw d2 veteran in sc and hc ladder for MANY years, as well as pre paragon level d3 addicted :p

.la1n

I fully understand the complaints of high level gear dropping too much too early, it puts a damper on extended play. I'm not sure if this route was taken because they didn't see console players putting as much extended time into the game or what. I still want to play but I do hope it won't be a one and done run.

Dahbomb

Like I said I don't have a problem with the abundant good loot if the higher MP are balanced accordingly.

No one is complaining, people are just being extra cautious about this new loot system.

Freezard

Don't worry, they have seriously upped the difficulty on console. I've just played through normal and enemies melted in a second on easy, tried medium and we died to an elite instantly :D

Dahbomb

Don't worry, they have seriously upped the difficulty on console. I've just played through normal and enemies melted in a second on easy, tried medium and we died to an elite instantly :D
We are talking about Inferno difficulty here, the lower difficulties are perfectly fine.

molnizzle

You guys also have to keep in mind that while direct character control probably feels better, it's definitely less precise. This will be especially evident while playing Inferno. Act III/IV would've been harder on consoles even if Blizz hadn't messed with enemy balance at all. The roll stick will probably help, but without invulnerability frames there's only so much it can do.

Then there's all the positional and AoE spells that require you to aim with the mouse pointer. I'm sure Blizz made the targeting the best they could, but those spells are still going to be less effective than they were on PC. There's just no way around that. For certain classes it's no big deal, but there's a few Wiz and DH builds that are going to be much less effective here (maybe WD too, I never really played that class).

Blizz is making the game fun without forcing players to trade or play an obscene amount of time. Fine by me. After a couple hundred hours it's time to move on to another game anyway. There's just too many fish in the sea!

Karak

My Review for Angry Centaur Gaming - Review

Pros:
Gameplay of course
Skill variety - insane
Enemy variety and appearance
Very tactical at higher difficulty
Co-op mods

Cons:
So so graphics (lots of aliasing)
Loot is wonky at times
The switch to thumbsticks is NOT perfect with some issues in tight battles
Story is poor
Voice acting is poor

redhot_

Pros:
Gameplay of course
Skill variety - insane
Co-op mods

Cons:
Loot is wonky at times
Story is poor
Voice acting is poor

Ok, That review was pretty damn entertaining hahaha, good job. subscribed.

molnizzle

Pros:
Gameplay of course
Skill variety - insane
Co-op mods

Cons:
Loot is wonky at times
Story is poor
Voice acting is poor

I was starting to roll my eyes at the beginning, but eventually you hit your stride. That was actually pretty funny! Good work.

My only piece of advice: allow for more pauses in your speech before moving on to the next talking point. You sound kinda like a 1st grader who doesn't notice punctuation while reading aloud to the class. Breathe, dude!

foladar

Those self-found items are mouthwatering. I'm torn on this, as I've already invested a little over 200 hours into the PC version so far, and I'll have a few friends who only either have the PC version or the Xbox. Still, if Loot 2.0 is similar to the console loot, I might just have to hold off and hope time passes swiftly before the RoS pre-patch.

I'm torn, too. Paragon level towards the expansion on PC or pick this up on consoles for two weeks before GTA. Wish Blizz would give the PC players a bone, this loot seems really good, maybe good enough to pick it up on 360 for me. Not sure how well a WW barb would play on console, though. I'd imagine CM wiz would be difficult too.

Karak

I was expecting to roll my eyes, but that was actually pretty funny. Good work.

My only piece of advice: allow for more pauses in your speech before moving on to the next talking point. You sound kinda like a 1st grader who doesn't notice punctuation while reading aloud to the class. Breathe, dude!

To be truly honest. That is usually what gets me the most positive points is the 1st grader thing:) I mean I totally hear you but that's sort of the 1 breath review. But I will always try to keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the kind words and the thoughts about fixing things. I always take them to heart!

Ok, That review was pretty damn entertaining hahaha, good job. subscribed.
Thanks sir. I try:) If you like it you should check out a couple of the others.I only have a few but supposedly a couple ones from last month are my best. That's what people say at least.

Twinduct

Pros:
Gameplay of course
Skill variety - insane
Co-op mods

Cons:
Loot is wonky at times
Story is poor
Voice acting is poor

top-gun-high-five-o.gif

Pros:
Gameplay of course
Skill variety - insane
Co-op mods

Cons:
Loot is wonky at times
Story is poor
Voice acting is poor

I enjoyed that review, thanks for it. Definitely agree with poor story and voice acting, It's sad that they made the bosses in D3 talk like a saturday morning cartoon villain who tells you what he is going to do.

d0c_zaius

I'm at least 6 or so hours in and there is a good amount of screen tearing now :( Not on Killer is Dead level but still disappointing considering there's not even a movable camera.

If you have to sacrifice V-sync for transparency fx then at least give me an option....damn.

Karak

Surprisingly hard to find that gif, expected it to be one of the firsts!

I actually couldn't find it. Didn't look for a ton of time but ya. The montage has the highest high-5 to time ratio ever.
I enjoyed that review, thanks for it. Definitely agree with poor story and voice acting, It's sad that they made the bosses in D3 talk like a saturday morning cartoon villain who tells you what he is going to do.

Totally agreed.

Cels

Loot rolls are definitely crazy in the console version. 1400 dps buriza and 2-socket 1500 dps manticore within the first couple days of release? Just nuts.

It makes sense because of no AH. The loot you find better be good because it's the only loot you're going to get, but with these kinds of rolls, I wonder if Blizzard also made the game harder. If you give this quality of loot to players and don't change the difficulty of the game, then players become unstoppable killing machines. MP10 is supposed to be the pinnacle of challenge in the game, but if you have the best loot possible, then it's going to be brain-dead easy. Might as well make your character immune to dmg and kill anything in one shot.

Top Bottom