• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

smr00

Banned
Went ahead and went to EB and per-ordered it.

Wish i could of had it delivered from amazon or something because i am sick as a dog and driving to EB is not going to be fun tomorrow. The things i do for vidja games.

zulfate

Hmmm... thanks for the advice. Think I will take the plunge. For all the good times I've had on Diablo and Diablo 2 I think I owe Blizzard at least that. So I can relive the glory days of Diablo and relive the glory days of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance co-op. That's a lot of glory days to relive :).

you are just a glory hole :)

man i loved loved the shit out of dark alliance and champions of norrath, those where fucking amazing games for ps2 my god, very under appreciated. heck i still eye ball champions.

Lord Phol

Confused over whether to go 360 or ps3,to me it's whichever comes to my local game shop first. Any huge differences besides the bonus items?

Well there's a chance that there will be save transfer from PS3 to PS4, no promises though. Otherwise they should be pretty much the same.

man i loved loved the shit out of dark alliance and champions of norrath, those where fucking amazing games for ps2 my god, very under appreciated. heck i still eye ball champions.

Played champions just a week ago, awesome co-op games. Also been playing Lotr: War in the North between my FF XIV sessions, it's quite flawed but I recommend it to any Champions/Dark Alliance fans. The combat is simple but really satisfying.

IvorB

you are just a glory hole :)

Ha ha! Not going to be led into comments on glory holes. I can already feel the ban hammer coming for me again. :)

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is the stuff of pure legend. Lawd! If you ever wanted to see a game getting a rinsing that was the game. That game is impeccable. We all lost track of how many times we went through that game in various combinations of team mates. Outstanding. This calls for a Dark Alliance pic...

baldursgatedarkalliance-02.jpg

Rixa

It's unfair that most of you are playing this before me :(... I'm currently standing outside Gamestop, staring at the D3 PS3 poster ._.

Asked local Gamestop, that do they take preorders tomorrow eventhought its release day for that 99c / 2games price. Yes they do, gonna grab 2 older games (that are in the list) and go tomorrow after work to GS to get my copy for under 1 euro. Just niiiice.

tim1138

I know nothing about this game or series, but the commercial for the console version caught my eye because of the co-op. My wife and I have enjoyed playing through the X-Men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance games together, is this in the same vein?

I know nothing about this game or series, but the commercial for the console version caught my eye because of the co-op. My wife and I have enjoyed playing through the X-Men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance games together, is this in the same vein?

Similar, but the Diablo series is significantly less approachable, than those games.

Redberyl

Neo Member
Just a heads up Toys R Us in the US has the physical version up for pre-order for PS3 and 360 at $44.99 online today only (I don't think it comes with any bonuses though).

I have no experience getting games from them online but maybe some of the other retailers will price match.

Dahbomb

This game is very accessible although maybe not quite as much as those games. Very fun and playable especially in Co op.

Tizoc

The local co-op thing interests me, but the loot concept doesn't...
Maaaaaaybe I'll still get it along with Rayman Legends to play with my brother when he's around.

Stupid question related to my 2nd sentence: My brother's a big fan of beat'em-ups does this game envoke a similar 'feel'?

Anyone? Cuz I may end up just blind buying it come the weekend =P

Raide

You run around beating the unholy hell out of monsters. Feels more like a beat-em-up if you play the close-up melee classes. More like a twin-stick shooter if you play ranged. :D

D3's combat seems way more punchier and heavier than the previous games. Play a Monk and enjoy punches the faces clean off hideous monsters. :D

Dahbomb

This game is more of an action beat em up game than a loot RPG. The only thing separating it from let's say a Darksiders 2 is the camera angle, it's top down view.

You get loot in this game and you just need to be aware what some stats do which isn't hard to figure out at all. The game basically tells you if a new item is an upgrade for you or not.

For a good beat em up experience play Monk or even the Barbarian.

foladar

Just a heads up Toys R Us in the US has the physical version up for pre-order for PS3 and 360 at $44.99 online today only (I don't think it comes with any bonuses though).

I have no experience getting games from them online but maybe some of the other retailers will price match.

They've had it for a bit, but the second screenshot at least shows the infernal helm for preorders. I assume all release copies will have that, though. If it's like their usual $44.99 preorder deals, the price will change sometime tomorrow at the latest.

Tizoc

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll get it and play it with my brother =D
It being 4 palyer is great as we're expecting some family to visit in a few months so some of them can play it over here~

Sanctuary

Similar, but the Diablo series is significantly less approachable, than those games.

Wait, what? The Alliance type games always felt like the most watered down Diablo games to me. The loot system (and taking five minutes to learn about the stats) is the only thing that makes it more complicated. Diablo 2 on the other hand could be somewhat overwhelming for someone who's mostly played Alliance, but Diablo 3 is a far cry from Diablo 2 in terms of complexities.

MrDaravon

Yeah, Diablo 3 is a bit more complex then say DA, but there's not a huge gap. If you can play DA, MUA, X-Men Legends, etc with your friends they'll be fine with Diablo 3. I'd say Diablo 3 is actually much less complex then Sacred 2 on consoles if anything, that game was bit nuts.

V_Arnold

Huh, so the dodge is worse than actually moving away? Or the combat system is more rigged on consoles than on PC. If I dodge before an attack finishes (a long, telegraphed one at that), even if I am out of range, the attack still hits. As if I was lagging online. But I am not, cause I am playing offline. WHAAT?

Huh, so the dodge is worse than actually moving away? Or the combat system is more rigged on consoles than on PC. If I dodge before an attack finishes (a long, telegraphed one at that), even if I am out of range, the attack still hits. As if I was lagging online. But I am not, cause I am playing offline. WHAAT?

Dodge is just as much of a dice-roll effect as critical hits are. You can not improve it with loot however, but there is a 50/50 chance you either take damage or you do not. It is not supposed to be an invincibility dodge.

Demon Hunter has a skill called ''Evade'' and it uses up Discipline but that skill does negate attacks from enemies.

V_Arnold

Dodge is just as much of a dice-roll effect as critical hits are. You can not improve it with loot however, but there is a 50/50 chance you either take damage or you do not. It is not supposed to be an invincibility dodge.

Demon Hunter has a skill called ''Evade'' and it uses up Discipline but that skill does negate attacks from enemies.

Yeah, I know that, I am just wondering whether manually running out of that attack's range would have resulted in an evade. Because on the PC version, it usually does.

Lord Phol

That's kind of odd, not sure I like that. Sound like a "press this button and there's a 50% chance you take damage and 50% ur fine no matter how the animation plays out" move.

Lord Phol

Not the roll. The dodge stat. If someone has 50% dodge chance (at least on PC) then only 1 out of every 2 hits will connect.

It is a quicker way out of nasty situations if you are not wearing gear that ups your movement speed. Just flinging the right stick constantly and then not taking damage, that would have been way too overpowered.

Okey now I'm confused D:.
If ur talking about the roll then yeah that could be overpowered, unless they made the dodge window very narrow. It still feels weird to have a "button" that has a 50% to negate damage on the roll of a dice, if that is how it works. Gonna have to try it first ofc before I judige it too harshly.

Okey now I'm confused D:.
If ur talking about the roll then yeah that could be overpowered, unless they made it very hard to land.It still feels weird to have a "button" that has a 50% to negate damage on the roll of a dice, if that is how it works.

I am talking about the roll and not gear that introduces a 50% dodge chance.

Sioen

This game is more of an action beat em up game than a loot RPG. The only thing separating it from let's say a Darksiders 2 is the camera angle, it's top down view.

You get loot in this game and you just need to be aware what some stats do which isn't hard to figure out at all. The game basically tells you if a new item is an upgrade for you or not.

For a good beat em up experience play Monk or even the Barbarian.
The comparison to darksiders 2 isn't really correct, that game is more of a zelda/god of war clone than anything else and Diablo 3 really doesn't compare to it.

V_Arnold

My very quick first impressions (PC experience: lv60 paragon WD, lv20 paragon Wiz, 60lvl (non-paragon) barb/monk, dont care about DH).

- Combat is different, but good. I would have never thought this is possible. There is auto-targeting which feels awesome, basically if you hold the stick so it targets a mob, every spell you do will hit the mobs. Shall I tell you how "pro" does this make my Wizard look like? I do the same on pc, but there, you actually have to micro. Here, you do not. It is good.

- Camera angle is weird at first, but can be warmed up to.

- Difficulty is fine. Starting up without loot is almost like a fresh start to the game.

- Multiplayer bonuses remain in the game. Couch coop: +XP, +loot(maybe?). I definitely level faster than with solo.

Great start so far.

zulfate

My very quick first impressions (PC experience: lv60 paragon WD, lv20 paragon Wiz, 60lvl (non-paragon) barb/monk, dont care about DH).

- Combat is different, but good. I would have never thought this is possible. There is auto-targeting which feels awesome, basically if you hold the stick so it targets a mob, every spell you do will hit the mobs. Shall I tell you how "pro" does this make my Wizard look like? I do the same on pc, but there, you actually have to micro. Here, you do not. It is good.

- Difficulty is fine. Starting up without loot is almost like a fresh start to the game.

- Multiplayer bonuses remain in the game. Couch coop: +XP, +loot(maybe?). I definitely level faster than with solo.

Great start so far.

ugh you are making me jelly!

i really am having a tough time deciding if i should make d3 a console experience only. my ps3 is with my brother but i can take it back just for d3 in hopes that i can transfer to a ps4 or should i wait to get it for ps4? arg! fuck you blizz for making me do this!

Riggs

Banned
I went back on D3 on the PC last night, as kind of a warm up for console version later. I got a legendary right away, pure piece of shit. Ahhhh memories .....

Really hope I like the console version as PC drops seem the same as ever, pure crap.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jealous!!!

12 more hours guys :D I've called in sick... no work :3 (it begins?!)

JCizzle

Great start so far.

Loot impressions?

Lord Phol

Nothing of interest so far. Vendors selling useful stuff is a bit new, but not necessary. Skeleton King dropped a monk and a Wizard loot - right the two classes that we were with.

That's quite good to hear actually, I like to put my gold to good use at a vendor in these games.

RkOwnage

How does the profile transfer on PSN work? Does anyone have any feedback on that? Is it easy to transfer your save/profile to take to a friend's house? Just looking for a little info on how it works.

Thanks

Top Bottom