• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
they need to alter the buying of items...

i accidently bought an item from the merchant for 2000 and only got 127 back when i sold it again.
They need to atleast ask for confimation when you buy..
its just too easy to accidently waste alot of money..

Drame

Ran act 3 with a full group, that felt so good.

No legendaries or worthwhile drops, but great fun. Although, I managed to snag Cain's set recipe, which was legendary. Rather neat to have 22lvl set pieces ready to craft for my alts.

Btw, anyone else think that the Leoric's Gauntlets are broken or something? At least I haven't had a minion proc for 10 levels or so.

Nightmare run soon done, hell here I come!

Ran act 3 with a full group, that felt so good.

No legendaries or worthwhile drops, but great fun. Although, I managed to snag Cain's set recipe, which was legendary. Rather neat to have 22lvl set pieces ready to craft for my alts.

Btw, anyone else think that the Leoric's Gauntlets are broken or something? At least I haven't had a minion proc for 10 levels or so.

Nightmare run soon done, hell here I come!

Does droop rate/quality increases when you go from Normal to Nightmare?

ced

How does dual wielding work on a monk? My dmg doesn't change with 2 weapons, is it just the dmg from primary and stats from offhand? I feel like I'm better off with a shield.

Lord Phol

How does dual wielding work on a monk? My dmg doesn't change with 2 weapons, is it just the dmg from primary and stats from offhand? I feel like I'm better off with a shield.

I'm not sure about the exact formula, but I think it increases ur attackspeed. The less gap there is between the DPS of your main-weapon and your off-hand weapon, the more ur total DPS will increase when duel-wielding. So if the weapons have about the same DPS it should be an increase, but if the gap is too big then you're most likely better of if just one weapon (unless ofc the stats are really good).

If you press Square at the character/inventory screen you can see ur exact DPS, unlike the first screen which rounds it up/down.

Sanctuary

So what's up with Monster Power settings in this game? I quit playing Diablo 3 on PC before they implemented that, but it doesn't appear to work the same as how /players 8 (or whatever you set it to) in Diablo 2 worked, nor does it seem like the experience gains are even remotely scaled similarly to how it was in Diablo 2 offline, or how it was scaled with other human players.

It took me approximately 40 minutes to hit level 8 on easy. When setting it to "Hard", by the 40 minute mark I was only level 6. Upping the difficulty or players in Diablo 2 would have resulted in me being level 11 at the very least by then, not lower than my first attempt at leveling. All it seems like it's doing is raising enemy health, damage with an insignificant boost to drop rates and the experience gains are actually way less due to a much slower killing speed.

I also have no idea why they called the new Evade (dodge) an Evade, when you aren't evading anything with it. You have to use it as a preemptive measure than an actual active avoidance to incoming attacks.

Inspired by the Diablo 2 Players X system, Monster Power allows players to set a level from 0-10 which will increase the difficulty of the game. Patch 1.0.7 updated Monster Power to add considerably more experience per MP level, making for faster leveling up with higher MP levels. - See more at: http://www.diablowiki.net/Monster_Power#sthash.d7cfvwTc.dpuf

Bullshit. It's actually much slower and it doesn't feel like the Diablo 2 system at all. At least not on the console version anyway. Does it not actually kick in with the experience boost until you can set it past "Hard" (where it actually states an increase in experience, where the difficulties prior do not)?

smr00

Banned
you guys just arent noticing the tearing. be thankful.

i noticed it literally 5 seconds into my solo run when i started the game this morning. it's not a deal breaker, but it's there and its pretty frequent. its not excessive tearing, not screen shreddingly bad, but i noticed it often in my first hour of play on the first act playing solo.

game is damn fun though, so it's getting a pass for me.

yes i work for Blizzard... what's your contribution to society?

the bolded is why i said it's not going to happen, but as bigDug mentioned earlier there are always hacked saves. so that may be a possibility.

feel free to dig up my post next year and mock me when Microsoft and Sony allow us to takes saves from their last gen systems and cross platform swap them to the new shiny consoles.
I will bookmark this.

The fact you think that it's so ludicrous that it won't happen is amusing and shows you have no idea what you are talking about. It's possible to transfer saves, especially with all the cloud service they are doing. Will they do PS3>XBONE or 360>PS4? Probably not, PS3>PS4 and 360>XBONE? More than possible and will most likely happen with Diablo 3.

You can easily do it via account/cloud.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
So what's up with Monster Power settings in this game? I quit playing Diablo 3 on PC before they implemented that, but it doesn't appear to work the same as how /players 8 (or whatever you set it to) in Diablo 2 worked, nor does it seem like the experience gains are even remotely scaled similarly to how it was in Diablo 2 offline, or how it was scaled with other human players.

It took me approximately 40 minutes to hit level 8 on easy. When setting it to "Hard", by the 40 minute mark I was only level 6. Upping the difficulty or players in Diablo 2 would have resulted in me being level 11 at the very least by then, not lower than my first attempt at leveling. All it seems like it's doing is raising enemy health, damage with an insignificant boost to drop rates and the experience gains are actually way less due to a much slower killing speed.

I also have no idea why they called the new Evade (dodge) an Evade, when you aren't evading anything with it. You have to use it as a preemptive measure than an actual active avoidance to incoming attacks.

Bullshit. It's actually much slower and it doesn't feel like the Diablo 2 system at all. At least not on the console version anyway. Does it not actually kick in with the experience boost until you can set it past "Hard" (where it actually states an increase in experience, where the difficulties prior do not)

Your character doesn't do enough damage yet. There's a tradeoff of mob hp/exp (kill time) and travel time. You're not at the point where that tradeoff is worth it yet.

koji

If you want to lvl fast, atleast on PC, play MP0 (easy), also not sure how that holds up here, but if you want to do a fast 0 - 60, play MP0 and stack +exp gear in every slot and a ruby in the socket of your helmet.

That dodge, yeah, it's good against something like frost, that you can see in advance and dodge before it detonates.

Your character doesn't do enough damage yet. There's a tradeoff of mob hp/exp (kill time) and travel time. You're not at the point where that tradeoff is worth it yet.

Yep ideally speaking you should be able to 1hit white mobs and elite packs shouldn't take longer than 30seconds, if they do, lower MP (difficulty)

Sanctuary

Yeah, it sounds like it's not the same as it was in Diablo 2, only similar. You would definitely see a drastic change in leveling speed when you had 3-7 more players in the game starting at level 1, even in the starter trash gear. In this game it seems like you basically have to be at a point where everything dies in a couple of hits or less because the actual xp gains aren't really scaled up as much as they were in Diablo 2 when adding more players.

That dodge, yeah, it's good against something like frost, that you can see in advance and dodge before it detonates.

You can just as easily walk to avoid it. I'm not saying that the feature is entirely useless or anything, but it's definitely no active avoidance mechanic to incoming damage.

Silav101

Just finised Act 2 Normal. 2 legendaries (chest piece and polearm). They both rolled relevant stats for my monk, and almost all of the rares that drop are dexterity. I am totally digging it.

I have yet to play a ranged class (have a paragon 56 Wiz on the PC version), but playing a monk with a controller is amazing. Especially when you turn on Elective mode, letting you map any skill to any button.

With regards to screen tearing, I definitely notice it, but it's not too much of a showstopper for me, so I can let it slide.

Silav101

The treasure goblins will drop coins as they run away from you, but to get the real goodies you need to kill them before they disappear into their portal. You used to be able to cheat on them with an ancient spear barbarian (most snares/roots/stuns don't work), not sure if that strategy still works.

Many a time I've wandered into trouble chasing those bastards.

Monk's Cyclone Strike still vaccuums them right up from a distance, so that makes it easier for them.

And the amount of times I've gotten killed chasing those little buggers? Good times, good times.

Number45

Some useful reading.

Bullshit. It's actually much slower and it doesn't feel like the Diablo 2 system at all. At least not on the console version anyway. Does it not actually kick in with the experience boost until you can set it past "Hard" (where it actually states an increase in experience, where the difficulties prior do not)?
I'm not at home at the moment, but somebody commented that it didn't make any difference to the experience until you hit master levels. So with that in mind, there's little benefit to playing above easy it seems. The benefit you get in terms of numbers, is probably offset by the fact that it takes you longer to kill them.

foxdvd

Got a hardcore barb to level 30. The flood gates opened up for me once I got to level 13. From 13-30 I had 11 legendary items drop. I ended up using 10 of them.

foladar

Playing on Hard didn't add any extra magic or gold find for me in my stats menu so maybe it's not the same as the PC version.

Normal/Hard apparently doesn't add MF/EXP, so best to use Easy until you can do Master I or higher. So far farming Master I - I've managed ~26 legendaries in about 8.5 hours today and 18 in about 7.5 hours yesterday. Just hit Paragon 9. Got a Skorn, two IK chests, Unity, 400str Angel Hair Braid, couple other items including a red-socketed 2k dps Messer's Reaver LOL

Sanctuary

Also, I haven't seen every update to every skill of the classes yet, but from what I've seen of the buffs, the game in it's current form is drastically easier than what it was on PC during its first six weeks or so.

Got a hardcore barb to level 30. The flood gates opened up for me once I got to level 13. From 13-30 I had 11 legendary items drop. I ended up using 10 of them.

The flood gates opened on Level 13 with 11 legendary items from 13-30.

How bad was it on the PC for people to be it naming it as ''the flood gates have opened''

Normal/Hard apparently doesn't add MF/EXP, so best to use Easy until you can do Master I or higher. So far farming Master I - I've managed ~26 legendaries in about 8.5 hours today and 18 in about 7.5 hours yesterday. Just hit Paragon 9.

Why in the hell did I start with Hard in the first place? I thought this increased gear, gold and experience. Oh well. Might as well just keep striding forward now, but Blizzard should have warned us about this in the game itself.

Number45

Nice. I suspect that trophy might be the last one I end up getting... too much of a pussy! D:

Why in the hell did I start with Hard in the first place? I thought this increased gear, gold and experience. Oh well. Might as well just keep striding forward now, but Blizzard should have warned us about this in the game itself.
Same! Feeling rather foolish at the moment, might drop it right down and just get through the levelling as quickly as possible.

Normal/Hard apparently doesn't add MF/EXP, so best to use Easy until you can do Master I or higher. So far farming Master I - I've managed ~26 legendaries in about 8.5 hours today and 18 in about 7.5 hours yesterday. Just hit Paragon 9. Got a Skorn, two IK chests, Unity, 400str Angel Hair Braid, couple other items including a red-socketed 2k dps Messer's Reaver LOL
EGAD! How do people find the time for this!

Gorillaz

Is coop still fun with randoms? I'm doing it with friends but just wondered if it was still enjoyable with randoms if I got bored one day

TheHater

you guys just arent noticing the tearing. be thankful.

i noticed it literally 5 seconds into my solo run when i started the game this morning. it's not a deal breaker, but it's there and its pretty frequent. its not excessive tearing, not screen shreddingly bad, but i noticed it often in my first hour of play on the first act playing solo.

game is damn fun though, so it's getting a pass for me.

Yeah, Screen Tearing is pretty bad in this game. Probably one of the worst I have experience. Hopefully it patch-able.

Lord Phol

Oh man I've also been playing on hard thinking it would give me an extra boost in magic find and exp x.x. Guess I'll change to normal, the challenge is nice on hard but mobs are a bit too health spoongy for my taste.

Number45

Is coop still fun with randoms? I'm doing it with friends but just wondered if it was still enjoyable with randoms if I got bored one day
As you'd expect... random! :p

If anyone in UK-might-be-online-after-22:00-occasionally-GAF wants to add me, PSN name is the same as my GAF name.

foxdvd

How bad was it on the PC for people to be it naming it as ''the flood gates have opened''

it is not so bad now on the pc but over a year ago, I did not get a legendary over 30 hours of playtime. My first one dropped on my second character at around level 15 and I could not even use it. I did not get another one for another 30-40 hours of play (one legendary over 70 hours) I stopped playing out of frustration with inferno act 3/4 and did not come back until they patched the difficulty down a bit.

Yeah, Screen Tearing is pretty bad in this game. Probably one of the worst I have experience. Hopefully it patch-able.

Someone must have never played Darksiders on the 360 or Resident Evil 5.

I usually can ignore screen tearing but both those games were terrible. Diablo 3 pales in comparison.

it is not so bad now on the pc but over a year ago, I did not get a legendary over 30 hours of playtime. My first one dropped on my second character at around level 15 and I could not even use it. I did not get another one for another 30-40 hours of play (one legendary over 70 hours) I stopped playing out of frustration with inferno act 3/4 and did not come back until they patched the difficulty down a bit.

I guess I can totally understand the frustration people had with the PC version if Diablo 2 managed to give all of that in a much easier fashion. We all play games for such a long time to eventually get rewarded by the big old pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. If that pot of gold turns out to be a pot of feathers I would be pretty pissed as well, despite the fact that the adventure was pretty amazing.

EDIT: Alright. This is the second damned time Tapatalk refuses to edit my post but just decides to post a new reply.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah I regret nothing with the hard difficulty. It was actually hard at the early levels but now it's a joke. Two more hours of work... Then finally, I can continue Hell act 1 :D

foladar

Yeah, I was playing on Normal until I realized there was no difference on stat sheet for those.

EGAD! How do people find the time for this!

Cleared my schedule, I stream it regularly so I had time set aside for some D3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
At this point I genuinely feel it's there for people who enjoy a bit of a challenge as they level. Master+ are for farming gear.

It's why I am playing hard. I really find steamrolling enemies a total bore, and am in no rush to penetrate 60 at the fastest clip. I want loot to feel meaningful for the severe challenge presented and I want the satisfaction of dealing with enemy groups tactfully and intelligently. Hard has been great for players like me!

Yoshichan

Wait, I just confirmed with my previous posts... 11 legendaries on normal and 9 on nightmare.

Voidance

I'm up to 9 legendaries toward the end of Act 3. Since my last count, I have found plans for a legendary ceremonial dagger, a quiver (again, playing a wizard :^|), a sword, and a cuirass. Of those, only the cuirass was useful. Still, not bad at all compared to the PC version. Can't wait to hit 60 and let the real game begin (I'm currently 29)!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Hey guys, look who just switched his avatar :D Anyone remember?

Nice! I'll have to throw a Skorn or something in the background on mine when they release the expansion.

For posterity:
2hKHLt3.png

insert awesome animated transition here
oct7wiG.png

Ugh, I wish I had time man... At this rate, as soon as I come home from work, I spend an hour or two with my girl and then it's Diablo till 3-4am... The problem here being that I woke up 6am today :( 2 hours of sleep today and yesterday, and it's killing me :lol

With the loot cranked up, I think they've really created a monster here. Ideal binge gaming material.

I'm curious to see how things play out once people hit near-max gear in the end game. With the odds of getting an upgrade getting worse and worse each time you upgrade, will people eventually want an auction house? Maybe third party trade will spring up, or people just hack/dupe using saved game editing...

eliochip

Depends on what you wanna do. If you just want to kill stuff, It's pretty dumb fun with randoms but if you wanna progress through the story (I'm playing through it for the first time), between people spamming x to skip through the dialogue and then going off in different directions, it gets kind of annoying.

You could argue they're doing me a favor by skipping the dialogue anyway

Number45

It's why I am playing hard. I really find steamrolling enemies a total bore, and am in no rush to penetrate 60 at the fastest clip. I want loot to feel meaningful for the severe challenge presented and I want the satisfaction of dealing with enemy groups tactfully and intelligently. Hard has been great for players like me!
And that's fair enough. I was fine up until Leoric (which wasn't really a problem, I'd just been lazy with the encounter) but after that point it's a struggle and it can only be down to the gear I have. I've played through the game multiple times on PC, so seeing everything isn't such a draw to me now.

turnbuckle

They need to hurry up and announce the date for this on PS4. Hearing some more glowing impressions makes me really want to play, but I know the technical limitations are going to bug me. Trying to convince my roommate to pick it up on PS3 and I'll pick it up on PS4, but so far it hasn't worked :p

Robin64

I was playing Hard then hit Leoric and bam, none of my abilities were doing more than a tickle of damage to that guy. So I put it on Easy and decided to steamroll for a bit, at least until I'm mostly in yellows.

ironcreed

Banned
I am finding that caltrops, vault, bola shot and rapid fire with a rare crossbow makes my Demon Hunter pretty damn lethal right now. Slow down the mobs with caltrops, roll, vault and wreak havoc with exploding bola shots and rapid fire. I'm still in the Fields of Misery in Act 1, but that is my go-to formula for now.

On a side note, the game seems like it is going to be pretty damn long as well. Loving it.

Top Bottom