• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
6DA7Zf4.jpg

What in gods name does that final buff do? It was the funniest shit when I picked it up. Only on Act 2 and I have gotten so many damn Legendary weapons and gear. Its too cool.

I had these pants too, they just leave a trail of brown/green smoke behind you and make the occasional fart noises.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What class/spec are you playing out of curiosity?
Dat barb! Constantly switching it up, but the majority of the times I'm playing with: Cleave, Rend (when did this become so good btw?!), Ground Stomp, Revenge, WotB, Battle Rage.

But of course, when I reach inferno I'll probably end up switching the majority of the skills.

Number45

Thanks. That's not too far away from my build in terms of what I have at the moment - you must have been a lot luckier with the drops than I! :'(

I played with Rend a huge amount through Normal/NM/Hell on PC (the lifesteal is great) but it didn't scale well when the game got really tricky so I dropped it.

Loginius

Everyone... please always use the class you want to play with the skills that you want. You will have more fun that way. -
My two cents on whether or not any build is viable:

You have to switch out your skills if you want to max. out your efficiency but other than that a balanced build doesnt need to switch skills at all.

I played mp6 on pc with a DH using rapid fire without a problem solo (doing ubers and whites with the same build without a problem).

The only builds that really arent viable solo are builts that do a lot of dmg while having way lower ehp because of the reflect dmg affix.

That said you wont be killing stuff as fast / have to kite / play smarter as the most popular builds so people will tell you its "not viable" you also might not be able to do mp10 (or the console equivalent) which shouldnt matter because there is almost no reason to anyway. Having the most fun you can have with your class is the better alternative).

Quote sums in up pretty well.

Dahbomb

I have seen people do Mp9 with Rapid Fire. They had like 260K dps but a solid amount of EHP as well. Rapid Fire build works well when you have a lot Hatred Regen.

Rixa

At which point in game you can start to disenchant stuff (blues & yellows)? Iam at act 1 in the point where you just opened blacksmith and you are able to craft something (tho I dont have ingredients).

Local coop merchant does have same stuff to both players. Would like to have new bow to my DH, but nope no luck to buy one or to find another. Using white "trash" one.

Lord Phol

My two cents on whether or not any build is viable:

You have to switch out your skills if you want to max. out your efficiency but other than that a balanced build doesnt need to switch skills at all.

I played mp6 on pc with a DH using rapid fire without a problem solo (doing ubers and whites with the same build without a problem).

The only builds that really arent viable solo are builts that do a lot of dmg while having way lower ehp because of the reflect dmg affix.

That said you wont be killing stuff as fast / have to kite / play smarter as the most popular builds so people will tell you its "not viable" you also might not be able to do mp10 (or the console equivalent) which shouldnt matter because there is almost no reason to anyway. Having the most fun you can have with your class is the better alternative).

Quote sums in up pretty well.

Agree with you both, it's always more fun to play games the way you want instead letting the game (or others) dictate how you should play it. If the developers have done their job right than you should be able to find a way to make ur build work, though perhaps not at maximum effiency. This is gaming though not work, so f that.

Number45

At which point in game you can start to disenchant stuff (blues & yellows)? Iam at act 1 in the point where you just opened blacksmith and you are able to craft something (tho I dont have ingredients).

Local coop merchant does have same stuff to both players. Would like to have new bow to my DH, but nope no luck to buy one or to find another. Using white "trash" one.
As soon as he's unlocked. You can either go to the anvil, which will take you to the salvage window, or speak to the blacksmith and move to the salvage window (R1).

So is 6 the max amount of skills allowed at once for the console version? Could you do more with the PC version?
Nope, PC version was 6 as well. The game has always been balanced around that setup (and very rigidly around it, hence the elective mode shenanigans at launch).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just got my X360 version. 4 hours till i can leave work and play :/

I spent an hour this morning trying to work out how to play Diablo III on my PC because my Authenticator was on a different phone which i now dont own. Back and forth on the Battle.net website - no matter WHAT i wanted to do (email, raise a ticket, etc) i NEEDED my authenticator ID to log in. It is utterly ridiculous. It turns out i have to call them and then email them a copy of my ID/passport to get them to change my authenticator or remove it.

Seriously, fuck that. biggest load of shit ive ever heard. no matter what i wanted to do they would ask for my authenticator (even to assign a new authenticator, i needed to give an authenticator ID which made no sense).

Glad ive got this on the console now as my PC version is essentially a brick.

Number45

Just got my X360 version. 4 hours till i can leave work and play :/

I spent an hour this morning trying to work out how to play Diablo III on my PC because my Authenticator was on a different phone which i now dont own. Back and forth on the Battle.net website - no matter WHAT i wanted to do (email, raise a ticket, etc) i NEEDED my authenticator ID to log in. It is utterly ridiculous. It turns out i have to call them and then email them a copy of my ID/passport to get them to change my authenticator or remove it.

Seriously, fuck that. biggest load of shit ive ever heard. no matter what i wanted to do they would ask for my authenticator (even to assign a new authenticator, i needed to give an authenticator ID which made no sense).

Glad ive got this on the console now as my PC version is essentially a brick.
Asking you to provide proof of ID is exactly what they should be doing. When you get it sorted, make sure you keep the restore code somewhere and you can restore without needing the original authenticator in future.

G0DLIKE

A friend talked me into picking this up to play co-op with him. I'd never played a Diablo game before, but had a good idea of what I was getting.

I like it a lot. I'm maybe midway though Act III, level 27 demon hunter. The game looks great and the framerate is impressive, but I am getting some screen tearing (PS3 slim) and some minor stutter. It really doesn't bother me though.

I found the demon machine crossbow fairly early on and haven't found much of a challenge since, other than the Act II boss. I'm looking forward to trying the harder difficulties.

I'll probably play through it again on Nightmare difficulty when I'm finished, probably with the monk or barbarian, then sell it, then pick it up on PS4. Great game.

Number45

I'll probably play through it again on Nightmare difficulty when I'm finished, probably with the monk or barbarian, then sell it, then pick it up on PS4. Great game.
You need to unlock each difficulty with each character, so to play NM with monk or barbarian you'll first need to beat normal with them.

Rixa

As soon as he's unlocked. You can either go to the anvil, which will take you to the salvage window, or speak to the blacksmith and move to the salvage window (R1).

Thank you. Missed that when I was at BS.
Is it "common rule"?
- Sell white
- Disenchanct blue & yellow

koji

Man catching up with this thread got me all excited to play tonight. Trying to get my mates hyped up as well, so far one took the bait! :lol (two others were seriously bummed out by the PC version so that's going to be hard)

Number45

Thank you. Missed that when I was at BS.
Is it "common rule"?
- Sell white
- Disenchanct blue & yellow
Pretty much yeah. If you're struggling for cash (and don't need the mats) then you might consider selling some of the magic+ items I guess.

Oh really? I guess that makes sense, sort of. Can I change the sex of my demon hunter on different difficulties?
You couldn't in the PC version, so I'm going to say no here.

Still no confirmation on whether we can use out PS3 characters/saves on PS4, right?
Nope. I'll be amazed (and devastated) if this is isn't the case though. We'd better get a discount as well.

I have been playing for a little over 5 hours in the past 5 days and I am still in Act 1. I feel like I am terribly slow in comparison to you guys.

Number45

I have been playing for a little over 5 hours in the past 5 days and I am still in Act 1. I feel like I am terribly slow in comparison to you guys.
Don't rush, it's your game play it as you choose. First time I played through I explore every part of every map - but a lot of people will have seen all of the content before and are more than happy to just move from objective to objective.

Just remember that you can select quests once they're clear, so if you wanted to play it more point to point (and find yourself struggling with progression) you can always go back and play an older quest for experience/farming purposes.

Number45

So what's the consensus on this game? Does it feel good playing it with controller ?
My main complaint is how I'm going to deal with area targeted attacks - Leap basically seems pointless to me now (and I used it a lot levelling on the PC version) because I can't accurately predict where I'm going to land (unless at deadzone or full tilt). Actually died a couple of times on Leoric because I got trapped in his minions! D:

It's also a shame there's no means of cycling locked targets.

Only other thing is I'd like to be able to see a full inventory somewhere.

Other than that, it's great. The evade is fantastic for busting barrels etc.

EDIT: I also found out about the junk system from the GB quick look. Hadn't noticed that at all until that point.

IvorB

Can those with the game confirm if more than two people can play couch co-op on one PS3? Also can I mix and match local co-op and online buddies?

Don't rush, it's your game play it as you choose. First time I played through I explore every part of every map - but a lot of people will have seen all of the content before and are more than happy to just move from objective to objective.

Just remember that you can select quests once they're clear, so if you wanted to play it more point to point (and find yourself struggling with progression) you can always go back and play an older quest for experience/farming purposes.

That is pretty much what I have been doing because it is my first time playing this. I explore every nook and cranny in the hopes that I find something of use. The majority of the time I do not, but the sense of wandering around makes this quite enjoyable.

This game holds me over quite well when I have time to play until GTA V releases. I was afraid that I might have to fanatically look on my watch every hour to see how many hours were left until September 17th, but thanks to this it is not the case.

DragonNC

well shit. just read that rapid fire with dh doesn't work solo. damn, may switch to my monk or a barb. i love the rapid fire. grenades look boring.

Rapid fire works fine

Btw playing on +2 multyplayer from start (in solo game) & legendary items rain from the sky :D
It is hard at start but with ranged you can play safe.

After beating Skeleton King on my WD earlier in the day and having the game lock up on me in the evening I chose to try a monk on console last night.

Monk plays better - feels better and is about five hundred times more fun on console than PC. I feel like a monk with a controller. On PC it felt like a mashing game ... on the console it feels like a fighting game. So good.

As great as Rapid Fire seems to be, for mobs of enemies Chakrams are the much better option considering it swirls around the battlefield and hits almost everything in its path.

Caved in and bought it for PS3 last night, just foun d all three shards of that sword.

Playing as Demon Hunter on Normal, having a lot of fun.

BUT

My character has serious health problems. I'm level 14 and don't have any items that provided over 20 armour individually. I do have some Rare weapons and Quivers that give me health for each hit but those goatmen that throw spears at you take a fifth of my life with each hit.

Also, some skills seem kind of useless compared to their alternatives. Bola shot is an example, it doesn't seem to do more damage than the alternatives and takes much longer to actually cause damage, which is bad when you're trying to kill things before they get into melee range.

Also that Smoke Screen skill seems to do nothing at all compared to something useful like Caltrops.

Caved in and bought it for PS3 last night, just foun d all three shards of that sword.

Playing as Demon Hunter on Normal, having a lot of fun.

BUT

My character has serious health problems. I'm level 14 and don't have any items that provided over 20 armour individually. I do have some Rare weapons and Quivers that give me health for each hit but those goatmen that throw spears at you take a fifth of my life with each hit.

Also, some skills seem kind of useless compared to their alternatives. Bola shot is an example, it doesn't seem to do more damage than the alternatives and takes much longer to actually cause damage, which is bad when you're trying to kill things before they get into melee range.

Also that Smoke Screen skill seems to do nothing at all compared to something useful like Caltrops.

I have the same gear pieces like you with only my chest piece reaching 32 armor points.

Demon Hunter is a ranged class, so you are a no bullet sponge in comparison to the Barbarian. Staying away from enemies is the one thing you should do, thus Caltrops and Entangling Arrow (with the Chain Gang rune) is going to be your number 1 priority skills for a very long time.

Kite, kite and kite. That is all you need to do. Pop a bunch of caltrops when running away and fire away with Entangling Arrows and Chakrams. Are they getting close? Use evade and rinse and repeat.

Number45

Smoke Screen was massively useful early on, but it's been pared right back since so I think it's less of a requirement now.

Are they getting close? Use evade and rinse and repeat.
Evade doesn't provide a speed boost does it? Just allows you to roll away without altering your targeting.

Rixa

Pretty much yeah. If you're struggling for cash (and don't need the mats) then you might consider selling some of the magic+ items I guess.

Yesterday (lvl 8 offl coop) we stumbled to Treasure Goblin. I was wondering what it was and did it vanish (werent sure if we killed it or not). Today I stumbled on some pics showing loot drop of TG and seems that we killed TG (had money version). We picked plenty of coins from it in many piles, not sure if we got some blues too (at least no yellow).

Randomness of this game is so awesome. 1 st playthrough (tested pc demo, but my pc couldnt run this), you never know what you will face next. Game is pure gold, iam so in D3 that I havent noticed any lag or tearing. I still own BG:DA 1&2 and both Norraths, sadly Ive sold my copy of PS1 Diablo long ago.

Number45

Yesterday (lvl 8 offl coop) we stumbled to Treasure Goblin. I was wondering what it was and did it vanish (werent sure if we killed it or not). Today I stumbled on some pics showing loot drop of TG and seems that we killed TG (had money version). We picked plenty of coins from it in many piles, not sure if we got some blues too (at least no yellow).
The treasure goblins will drop coins as they run away from you, but to get the real goodies you need to kill them before they disappear into their portal. You used to be able to cheat on them with an ancient spear barbarian (most snares/roots/stuns don't work), not sure if that strategy still works.

Many a time I've wandered into trouble chasing those bastards.

Smoke Screen was massively useful early on, but it's been pared right back since so I think it's less of a requirement now.

Evade doesn't provide a speed boost does it? Just allows you to roll away without altering your targeting.

Sorry. I meant Vault. It is a skill you set on Y or Triangle.

I have the same gear pieces like you with only my chest piece reaching 32 armor points.

Demon Hunter is a ranged class, so you are a no bullet sponge in comparison to the Barbarian. Staying away from enemies is the one thing you should do, thus Caltrops and Entangling Arrow (with the Chain Gang rune) is going to be your number 1 priority skills for a very long time.

Kite, kite and kite. That is all you need to do. Pop a bunch of caltrops when running away and fire away with Entangling Arrows and Chakrams. Are they getting close? Use evade and rinse and repeat.

Entangling Arrow with Chain gang is exactly what I have been using, I tend to use rapid fire unless there's a big group of lesser enemies dangerously close then I use Chakrams. I'll probably use them a lot more once I get the dual Chakram rune.

Is evade the one where you fire a shot and backflip? How much damage does it deal, is it just equivalent to a regular arrow?

Do hungering arrow, entangling arrow and bola shot all deal the same base damage?

LASTLY what does "kiting" mean? Just outranging enemies?

Is evade the one where you fire a shot and backflip? How much damage does it deal, is it just equivalent to a regular arrow?

Do hungering arrow, entangling arrow and bola shot all deal the same base damage?

LASTLY what does "kiting" mean? Just outranging enemies?

Nah, sorry. I fucked up on the wording. I meant Vault and it works like a charm for me.

Hungering Arrow is the most damaging of the three, but the slowdown of Entangling Arrow makes all of them seem pretty worthless.

Kiting is when you keep your enemy at a distance when they are running towards you. You keep stepping back, set up traps to make them go slower and keep hitting them while they have absolutely no chance to reach you.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
As great as Rapid Fire seems to be, for mobs of enemies Chakrams are the much better option considering it swirls around the battlefield and hits almost everything in its path.

I use it with that add-on that uses less hatred. Working fine for me

Nah, sorry. I fucked up on the wording. I meant Vault and it works like a charm for me.

Hungering Arrow is the most damaging of the three, but the slowdown of Entangling Arrow makes all of them seem pretty worthless.

Kiting is when you keep your enemy at a distance when they are running towards you. You keep stepping back, set up traps to make them go slower and keep hitting them while they have absolutely no chance to reach you.

thanks yep been doing that a lot :D

Rixa

The treasure goblins will drop coins as they run away from you, but to get the real goodies you need to kill them before they disappear into their portal. You used to be able to cheat on them with an ancient spear barbarian (most snares/roots/stuns don't work), not sure if that strategy still works.

Many a time I've wandered into trouble chasing those bastards.

Uhoh. Okay then it fled. Nice to know for the next time. Iam sure it will flee again tho.

thanks yep been doing that a lot :D

Other than that the only tip I can give you is to kill the enemies that are the most annoying on the battlefield. For example; there is this Skeleton Master (do not know the exact name) that keeps spawning little skeletons. As hard as it might be, try your best to defeat him first. Take the annoyance away from the source.

Same goes for archers. You are the most annoying for mobs as a ranged foe, but so are the ranged archers for you. Take them out first and then focus your attacks on the stronger one's.

Number45

Uhoh. Okay then it fled. Nice to know for the next time. Iam sure it will flee again tho.
They will flee, that's what they do! If you spot one, try and clear some room without engaging it so you have room to work and channel it to areas of the map that you've cleared already. The more DPS the better, particularly at the harder difficulty levels as they can take too much time to burn down (which is why the ancient spear trick was so great).

Top Bottom