• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Arjen

8 Legendaries so far, almost at the end of act 2. Played the entire game co-op with a buddy so far, he was getting pretty frustrated and mad because he only got 2, and one of them was for my class and not for him
KuGsj.gif

Seik

Banned

Don't hate me. D:

If it can make you feel better, I barely have time to play it, I'm only level 11 and I'm currently getting wiped against Leoric for a second time. =_=

EDIT: At least he's dead now, but I died right after in the next area...I think I'll wait tomorrow when I'll be playing with a friend. :p

Rixa

Don't hate me. D:

Don't hate the game. Hate the system ;). Also at work now. Mine DH & gf Barb are at lvl 10 now. Finished skeleton king yesterday and prolly going to play more again today evening. So fun.

Btw. Someone said that coop money is for the person who picks it up. We tested this yesterday and atleast in couch coop it doesnt matter who picks the money, all players get same amount money. But when you spend money, it goes from your money only :).

Drops have been so far favourable til barb. Not so much for the DH. have bought some rares from merchant to compensate :).

Questions:

1. Can you use dye multiple times, I mean can you dye many different armours at different levels?

2. For example item has mention of +1 damage to minimum (and to maximum damage). And also there is text weapon damage 9-10. Does that +1 add so total damage is 10-11 or is it already included (so that it is total 9-10)?

Where is my free time o_O? Everyone go and buy this game to console!

Shoogoo

I just picked up a legendary chest piece but it doesn't show in my inventory...

When I took it, the stats were described as "? ? ?" on the quick equip text line.

What's that?

edit 1: Seems like it happened to others before : http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4211046886

Meh :|

edit 2: There is a star in my inventory, as when you found something new to look at, but there is nothing beside my equipped chest piece. I hope that star goes away eventually, it's clearly glitched.

edit 3: Went back to the main menu, reloaded, and voilà, I got my chest piece back in the inventory :)

crozier

My monk is struggling pretty hard towards the end of Act I on Hell. Difficulty just got ramped up like a mo-fo. No more teleport-zerging, that's for sure.

IvorB

On the technical side of things I think I noticed one instance of tearing. I'm not saying there weren't more but that's all I noticed because I was thoroughly under the Diablo spell and focused on killing dem mobs.

But one thing I did really notice was the terrible compression artifacts in the cinematics. For shame, Blizzard! Such quality FMV work ruined by compression when there is absolutely no excuse for it on blu-ray. I'm shocked Digital Foundry did not mention this but I guess DF is not what it once was.

From the gameplay: I don't remember previous games that much but I'm sure my character wasn't restricted to six skills. I don't know where this six spell maximum is coming from but it seems to be creeping in everywhere and it really sucks. There are lot's of buttons on the controller and six spells is an incredibly stingy amount for a spell casting character. Why do I have to choose between stone skin and freeze ray? Can't I have both?

Other than that I have no real beef with the gameplay I was offered last night. Looking forward to giving that game another hammering when I get home. I also want to give the melee classes a try. It looks like fun.

Raide

My monk is struggling pretty hard towards the end of Act I on Hell. Difficulty just got ramped up like a mo-fo. No more teleport-zerging, that's for sure.

It seems that the Monk pretty much has moments where you have to utterly swap out your skills in order to survive. Kinda cool to be able to try something different but it often swaps your playstyle utterly.

Shoogoo

4 legendaries and I'm at the beginning of Act 2 in Normal, I guess that's not too bad?

Never played the PC version, and loving every second of it :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You can run through pretty speedily if you don't bother killing everything or going into the random dungeons. Plus he doesn't sleep.
I don't sleep? I do sleep, I work 8 hour a day and spend time with my gf :3

But when I actually sit down and play this game, I fucking sit down and play it. For realz :lol

Just picked this up yesterday for the 360 and enjoying it immensely. After getting a Witch Doctor to 60 on the PC version and getting bored in Act 2 of inferno, I'm going with a Barbarian this time. The Direct controls are brilliant, the menus are great, and I love being able to tap up on the D-Pad and cycle through the most recently picked up loot, seeing if it's an upgrade (on basic stats at least) and then being able to equip it.

The tearing is there but not really bothering me, and the cinematics are encoded surprisingly badly - really noticeable even on my 720p 42" plasma (which I find tends to flatter most lower quality video).

I seem to remember the Lore bits for each creature - Skeleton, Quill Beast et al having a voice over from Cain, but that seems to be missing unless I need to poke about in the menus?

Aside from that I can't wait to get back tonight and sort out the Skeleton King - hopefully online too.

Work sucks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I should've taken the week off for this game, not the PC-version... :(

I don't sleep? I do sleep, I work 8 hour a day and spend time with my gf :3

But when I actually sit down and play this game, I fucking sit down and play it. For realz :lol

:) I'm enjoying the sofa co-op with my girlfriend. Only thing is when looking at loot or skills or vendoring it slows down the play a lot. Online co-op has the advantage that others can keep playing. Still, absolutely loving it after 500 odd hours on PC version. Every time you pick up rares or legendaries it feels like they will be worthwhile looking at it, unlike on PC.

Raide

:) I'm enjoying the sofa co-op with my girlfriend. Only thing is when looking at loot or skills or vendoring it slows down the play a lot. Online co-op has the advantage that others can keep playing. Still, absolutely loving it after 500 odd hours on PC version. Every time you pick up rares or legendaries it feels like they will be worthwhile looking at it, unlike on PC.

The quick equip stuff is handy but its usually best to all call a time-out to check skills and equip stuff.

Yoshichan

Yeah I use the quick-item menu if I want to drop something (white or blue) without interrupting the gameplay.

Just beat the
Ghost King.
It's really addictive, playing as the wizard. You want to keep on going and going to see what other, neat skill you'll unlock.

Yoshichan

Leorics brother :D?

j/k!

I can see myself coming back to this game every so often and play through each class and see the differences. It does not help that the game is so damn addicting when it comes down to loot.

Beat the 1st Act, got a Legendary pair of boots.

I've been investing quite a bit in the Blacksmith, I've spent a lot of money training him so he can make rare level 23 items now. I've been smelting a lot of low level magic items into materials, but I've also done that to a few rare items that weren't worth that much because I get materials from those that I think I need for the smith to craft higher level items.

Am I doing the right thing? Or should I just be selling everything?

The 2-4 random magic properties strikes me as a bit of a gamble but I got a good crossbow out of it last time, plus he can almost definitely create better armour than I'm finding in loot.

Raide

Beat the 1st Act, got a Legendary pair of boots.

I've been investing quite a bit in the Blacksmith, I've spent a lot of money training him so he can make rare level 23 items now. I've been smelting a lot of low level magic items into materials, but I've also done that to a few rare items that weren't worth that much because I get materials from those that I think I need for the smith to craft higher level items.

Am I doing the right thing? Or should I just be selling everything?

The 2-4 random magic properties strikes me as a bit of a gamble but I got a good crossbow out of it last time, plus he can almost definitely create better armour than I'm finding in loot.

Hrmm...handy to have a character level the blacksmith, so it makes it easier for the other characters you make but it usually ends up being a little redundant as you get and find loot. Helps out earlier on and there are some good items to make if you invest enough time into leveling the smith.

Robin64

The blacksmith is a lot better in this than in the PC version. He's a lot closer to the Gamble feature of Diablo II.

V_Arnold

The blacksmith is a lot better in this than in the PC version. He's a lot closer to the Gamble feature of Diablo II.

How would it be? If anything, it is closer to WoW-like crafting, and further apart from gambling.

In D2, gambler gave you fully randomized items.
In D3 consoles, the character's main stat is almost guaranteed to pop up in the crafted items. It is much more predictable.

Drame

Can't play the game for 2 days. Oh boy, this will be hard.

In other news, managed to snag Skycutter last night and soonish I'm ready to up the masters. Other legendaries last night were pretty dull and even bad. Oh well, you can't always win.

Hrmm...handy to have a character level the blacksmith, so it makes it easier for the other characters you make but it usually ends up being a little redundant as you get and find loot. Helps out earlier on and there are some good items to make if you invest enough time into leveling the smith.

I forget there's this meta-game thing where stuff like that is shared between characters. I have him at level 4 now I think, I don't know how many levels he has, but right now I have to spend 2000 gold 5 times to get him up a level. I may put that on hold soon because I think the next time I train him he'll be able to make a heavy crossbow that looks rather good.

The side effect is I'm constantly poor, there's only been one time where I've had over 10,000 gold.

Loginius

From the gameplay: I don't remember previous games that much but I'm sure my character wasn't restricted to six skills. I don't know where this six spell maximum is coming from but it seems to be creeping in everywhere and it really sucks. There are lot's of buttons on the controller and six spells is an incredibly stingy amount for a spell casting character. Why do I have to choose between stone skin and freeze ray? Can't I have both?
Only a fixed amount of skills is a good thing thats why its in almost every game now.
Easier for the developer to balance which results in a more skill driven experience instead of a contest who can faceroll his 100 buttons best (well, cm wiz still is like that but in general this isnt the case as much) as well as skills that do not have 5m cooldowns.
You can change your build a lot more if you enable elective mode in the menu.(free skill selection for every button)
(Diablo 2 had 16 hotkeys for skills I believe)

Raide

I forget there's this meta-game thing where stuff like that is shared between characters. I have him at level 4 now I think, I don't know how many levels he has, but right now I have to spend 2000 gold 5 times to get him up a level. I may put that on hold soon because I think the next time I train him he'll be able to make a heavy crossbow that looks rather good.

The side effect is I'm constantly poor, there's only been one time where I've had over 10,000 gold.

In all honesty, the PC version had to saving gold to buy AH stuff. Since that is not here for the consoles, you actually have to split time between leveling your Smiths and Jewelers and also having enough cash to buy things you want. At low level it is always a struggle but as you level up, it is less of an issue.

In all honesty, the PC version had to saving gold to buy AH stuff. Since that is not here for the consoles, you actually have to split time between leveling your Smiths and Jewelers and also having enough cash to buy things you want. At low level it is always a struggle but as you level up, it is less of an issue.

I started the second Act that's in Caldeum (is that right?) and I found a socketed weapon and a couple of chipped ameythists. Is there a Jeweler in the city? Should I hold on to these ameythists and try to get a better gem out of them before I use them?

Raide

I started the second Act that's in Caldeum (is that right?) and I found a socketed weapon and a couple of chipped ameythists. Is there a Jeweler in the city? Should I hold on to these ameythists and try to get a better gem out of them before I use them?

Keep them all, find Jeweler and you combine a few lower levels gems to make the next set up. Gives more powerful versions to socket items. Don't worry too much since you can pay to remove gems you have already socketed.

You will end up with whole stashes of gems :D

IvorB

Only a fixed amount of skills is a good thing thats why its in almost every game now.
Easier for the developer to balance which results in a more skill driven experience instead of a contest who can faceroll his 100 buttons best (well, cm wiz still is like that but in general this isnt the case as much) as well as skills that do not have 5m cooldowns.
You can change your build a lot more if you enable elective mode in the menu.(free skill selection for every button)
(Diablo 2 had 16 hotkeys for skills I believe)

Yeah to be honest if I am playing a spell caster I would like access to my full repertoire. I'm sure it's not too much to ask a developer to be able to balance for that. However, if it is going to be the type of game where the number of skills is limited I still think that six is a very stingy number. I would say at least twelve would be reasonable. So you've got maybe two projectiles, two area attacks, maybe some amour and one other thing. That's nothing.

To be fair, at least I can switch them pretty quickly in this game.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Noob question here: I'm playing a Barbarian on Normal (Hard) difficulty. When I died I could just respawn where I fell. Is it possible to turn that off? It feels like there is no penalty for death.

Raide

Noob question here: I'm playing a Barbarian on Normal (Hard) difficulty. When I died I could just respawn where I fell. Is it possible to turn that off? It feels like there is no penalty for death.

Get to Level 10, roll a Hardcore Character.

Sometimes it is useful to respawn on your corpse. Sometimes it is not wise because you're surrounded by slavering beasts,

I'm using a wizard but I find I'm using a shield more than an orb or spell book as in just don't have good enough armour at this level to withstand some big hits. How are other wizards speccing their off hand?

Just got through some
spider caves
, don't think I've found a legendary yet, tons of rares though. Oh well, still having a blast with my barb, love the physics

I guess I'm still in Act 1, who do people like for companions? I'm using the
Templar
exclusively.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I'm using a wizard but I find I'm using a shield more than an orb or spell book as in just don't have good enough armour at this level to withstand some big hits. How are other wizards speccing their off hand?
i have a level 15 wiz and i got me some nice rare globe which im using.
but i definately need to look for my health...

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Get to Level 10, roll a Hardcore Character.

Sometimes it is useful to respawn on your corpse. Sometimes it is not wise because you're surrounded by slavering beasts,

I was hoping for something fractionally less brutal. Ah well, I'll be doing that as soon as I hit level 10. Thanks

Edit: I'm playing solo and I'm really enjoying the combat. I just wish that there was more risk involved

Raide

Just got through some
spider caves
, don't think I've found a legendary yet, tons of rares though. Oh well, still having a blast with my barb, love the physics

I guess I'm still in Act 1, who do people like for companions? I'm using the
Templar
exclusively.

Tends to be based around your playstyle. I tend to pick a range helper if I am close up. If I am a spellcaster, I sometimes pick a tank style. Having a heal spec helps for most classes.

I was hoping for something fractionally less brutal. Ah well, I'll be doing that as soon as I hit level 10. Thanks

You can choose not to respawn there but it tends to be based upon the situation you died in. You may choose to respawn in the town if you need to buy something/repair etc.

Top Bottom