• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

ironcreed

Banned
The Butcher is a pain in the ass. I can almost get him, but he either rams me or nails me with the grappling hook. What tactics are best for a Demon Hunter?

Raxious

Playing on hard is terrible. I'm getting stuck between 5 mobs and become completely unable to move out. This shit never happend on the PC :s

Also, I thought they fixed the loot? I'm getting even worse loot then I did on the PC version. I get raped hard.

DSmalls84

I still think that Monster Power doesn't matter much at all until after you're already level 60 and a few Paragon levels. I've spent a good eight hours messing around with MP 1 - 3 and I've not had a single legendary item drop. I know Yoshi keeps updating with his 20 - 30 drops, but...

I've had a total of 16 legendaries drop, and I'm only level 36 in NM. Every single one of those dropped in Easy, Medium and Hard, and it has everything to do with luck and killing speed.

This is what my MF is with my current gear in each difficulty:

Easy: 41%
Medium: 41%
Hard: 41%
MP1: 101% < over double, yet enemy health and damage is ridiculous compared to the lower difficulties. It actually makes it feel almost just like Inferno.
MP2: 111%
MP3: 121%
MP4: 131%
MP5: 141%

I'm lvl 33 as well and have had about the same number drop playing on easy the whole time.

molnizzle

The Butcher is a pain in the ass. I can almost get him, but he either rams me or nails me with the grappling hook. What tactics are best for a Demon Hunter?

Don't let him ram you or nail you with the grappling hook. lol

Same strategy for every class!

DSmalls84

If you have the vault skill and preparation that can make it a lot easier to dodge his attacks and get out of the fire. Shadow Power might also help if you have it.

legbone

i had to switch the skill i had on the y button to the dash move (i think it is the first y skill that unlocks). i just learned his patterns after dying a few times and used this dash move to dodge the hook. let him charge the wall then hit him with rapid fire. rinse repeat. also nailed him with entangling shot between rapid fire blasts to build up hatred.

edit: yeah, vault is the name of it. never thought to put preparation on a different button. doing that as soon as i jump back into the game. which is right now.

ironcreed

Banned
i had to switch the skill i had on the y button to the dash move (i think it is the first y skill that unlocks). i just learned his patterns after dying a few times and used this dash move to dodge the hook. let him charge the wall then hit him with rapid fire. rinse repeat. also nailed him with entangling shot between rapid fire blasts to build up hatred.

I may switch back to rapid fire from my Chakrams. I am using vault to dodge, I just need to take my time and get the timing, I guess. I'll get him after a few more tries. Thanks.

theytookourjobz

Just cleared Act 1 Inferno with my monk. 77k dps and 70k hp. Really loving the game. Have about 20 legendary drops and about 10 plans. Found an Inna's helm set piece this morning.

OK what's the trick with the spider queen? I'm level 12 Warrior and the Spider Queen is just kicking my ass. Died 3 times, and you can't respawn you have to start the battle over if you die..

I played her w my wife and she kept the spiders attention. If she died she gets to respawn, so as long as I didn't die we were ok.

Also I asked a couple pages back. Does anyone know why in a coop game (local) only I can use the blacksmith or stash with player 1. Kind of sucks that I have to leave the game and log in as the other character as my main to fix their equipment.

What am I supposed to be doing with the blacksmith out side of salvaging equipment and fixing broken items. The equipment he sells doesn't seem to be real great and training him doesn't have much value either. Does he have more use in later difficulties?

Ask this awhile back and never got a resposne. Is there a way to have the AI take control of my character in a multiplayer game if I need to step away? I thought someone said yeah long ago before I got my hands on the game but if so, I've no idea how to do it.

Dahbomb

What am I supposed to be doing with the blacksmith out side of salvaging equipment and fixing broken items. The equipment he sells doesn't seem to be real great and training him doesn't have much value either. Does he have more use in later difficulties?
His crafts can be pretty good. Basically if you really want a upgrade to one of your slots that you haven't gotten one in a while and no vendor is carrying an upgrade... try to roll that slot. Just make sure the slot that you are rolling is at the right level (so if you are at lvl53 you want to be rolling an item that is around that level).

The better items that the Blacksmith have are restricted to craft recipes that you have to find. Stuff like 6 affix ilvl62 one handers or Legendary crafted items or stuff like Archon Shoulders/Gloves.

Ask this awhile back and never got a resposne. Is there a way to have the AI take control of my character in a multiplayer game if I need to step away? I thought someone said yeah long ago before I got my hands on the game but if so, I've no idea how to do it.
I don't think anyone said this, there is no AI that takes control of your character otherwise no one would actually play the game and would just have the AI farm for them in multiplayer.

I don't think anyone said this, there is no AI that takes control of your character otherwise no one would actually play the game and would just have the AI farm for them in multiplayer.

I thought it was a online review somewhere. Maybe I just mis-read it. Also was under the assumption it was for only online.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Guys

I'm sleeping

No d3 for me today

So fucking tired

I thought it was a online review somewhere. Maybe I just mis-read it. Also was under the assumption it was for only online.

Local coop, if one person is running around towards the edge of the screen, the other player will automatically move as well. Watch the giantbomb quicklook they show it off for a good 3 minutes confused by it (not sure why exactly). But the AI doesn't actually play for you.

Number45

Second half of act 2 and the legendaries are starting to flow. I got a sweet one handed mace with a lightning effect. ^_^

Yeah so I managed to ask a couple friends around and some of them had PAL versions too and anyway, you can override the region right? Well guess what. Game is still PAL. I can't even get my helmet code to work since it's PAL. And I suppose the DLC will never work either, since i'd need a PAL account. And of course I had to open it not find out so no exchanges. Game isn't even licensed for sale in NA goddamnit.

Great freaking job Quebec game market. Wow. I am not freaking rich. This is wasted money to me. Now I don't even want to play the game.
What do you mean by override the region?

Local coop, if one person is running around towards the edge of the screen, the other player will automatically move as well. Watch the giantbomb quicklook they show it off for a good 3 minutes confused by it (not sure why exactly). But the AI doesn't actually play for you.

Ahhh ok that makes sense. Thanks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
V_Arnold has told me multiple times that I need to take care of my body, and that it's ALWAYS my fault when I "hurt" myself...

I'm gonna trust you this time, V! You win... for now.

Riggs

Banned
Time to hit fucking 60.

Got my barb to 45, but my friend came over and wanted to co op. So I was forced to play with my stupid wizard I made w/ him. Ughhhhh.

Yoshichan

Fuck, just let me sleep guys!

Also, Riggs, you doing good my man!

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Speaking to previous D3 PC owners:

I know the big difference is that there's no AH and that drop rate has increased, but what version do you guys recommend?

How's the controller interface/control in action? Any brief impressions are greatly appreciated!

Yoshichan

Then sleep damn it. Turn off NeoGAF, turn off your console, turn off your PC and turn off your light.

Stop looking at this thread to be enabled!
Ok. It's done. I'm off!

<3 ConsoleD3GAF

Dahbomb

I know the big difference is that there's no AH and that drop rate has increased, but what version do you guys recommend?

How's the controller interface/control in action? Any brief impressions are greatly appreciated!
The controller action is excellent, much better than what most people expected. Feels rather nice and the menu interface is surprisingly good given how much stuff you have to manage.

I honestly recommend the console version. Here's a few reason why:

*It's not just that you are getting more Legendaries but they are almost always of superior quality. You also get drops geared towards your class which is excellent. This makes self found gearing not only fun but much more effective. With a good amount of time played and some luck, you can easily self gear yourself for Master V before you get to Paragon 50.

*The whole crafting system and gem system is better and less cumbersome than on PC. Gem upgrades are cheap, only require 2 gem of a quality to upgrade and crafts are "smarter" as well.

*Nephalem Glory is an amazing mechanic not seen on the PC. Makes you faster, stronger and just this omnipotent being laying waste to demons. Adds another layer of flavor to the game. Also Nephalem Glory movement bonus speed goes over your movement speed cap so you can be running around in 35% movement speed.

*An offline mode is present which means Hardcore mode is much more viable and less likely to kill you due to server lag or some derp shit.

*Local/couch co op is a big plus as it allows you to play with your friend, family, significant other etc. It may even bring in more people into Diablo 3.

*The potion system is just way better than on PC.

*Some minor stuff like being able to mark junk items, Rolling mechanic, Paragon levels are account wide.

There are some disadvantages to the console version too though:

*Inferno only has 3 affixes on Elite monsters as compared to 4 on PC.

*Lesser mob density than on PC.

*Less performance/resolution than on PC.

Wait so legendaries are candy now in Console/Loot 2.0 version?

I guess that's better than the ~4 I got in 125+ hours of play on PC (none of which came earlier than Inferno I don't think).

Basically:

/hipsteroldmanyellsatcloud

I suppose you have to do that to incentivize people to keep playing since the legendary items are the only ones with any flavor at all.

Billen

Banned
The controller action is excellent, much better than what most people expected. Feels rather nice and the menu interface is surprisingly good given how much stuff you have to manage.

I honestly recommend the console version. Here's a few reason why:

*snip*

*An offline mode is present which means Hardcore mode is much more viable and less likely to kill you due to server lag or some derp shit.

There are some disadvantages to the console version too though:

*Less performance/resolution than on PC.

I have taken the liberty of editing your post. The above reasons are one of the biggest reasons for me to getting the game, as well as one for staying away. :D

Dahbomb

I wouldn't say Legendaries are candy but you basically get them every half hour on average at the base rate on Inferno.

*The potion system is just way better than on PC.
Do you mean strictly the instant effect? Or something else?

On that note, one of my favorite parts of Diablo 3, PC and console version alike, is the introduction of potion cooldowns. Potion spamming ruins these games for me.

Dahbomb

On that note, one of my favorite parts of Diablo 3, PC and console version alike, is the introduction of potion cooldowns. Potion spamming ruins these games for me.
On the PC version there were different tiers of potions. The potion you got on let's say LVL5 were shit by the time you got to Inferno so you had to sell them and get/pick up new potions. On the console version the potion you get at the start is just as valuable as the potion you get in Inferno because all potions restore you for 60% of your health (or some percentage of your health). Scaling potion is great as compared to potions that just give you a fix amount of health, allows them to work equally as good on all characters/builds.

nowai

OK guys, maybe I'm missing something but I am not really feeling the controller.

When people said it was like old school arcade games, I figured that meant Smash TV style. I want to move with the left stick and aim with the right stick so bad!

How do you kite mobs effectively when you have to run and aim with the same stick? Even when I lock on with my scorc, if she's running away from the mob, my ice beam has to manually track all the way around before it hits.

The dodge is seemingly useless outside of evading projectiles. More often than not, I dodge and the enemy still lands a hit.

Saganator

I'm usually a PC elitist but the console version is way better. I love playing with the controller

satori

So tired... Diablo... Or sleep... Fuck...

Good to see you have not change yoshi lol....I been thinking about to get this version. Reading this thread has temped me to stop by after work to have some weekend full of fun. I played the PC version a good deal and actually enjoyed my time with it. And from the impression I got so far with the console version, it seems like my cup of tea ><

On the PC version there were different tiers of potions. The potion you got on let's say LVL5 were shit by the time you got to Inferno so you had to sell them and get/pick up new potions. On the console version the potion you get at the start is just as valuable as the potion you get in Inferno because all potions restore you for 60% of your health (or some percentage of your health). Scaling potion is great as compared to potions that just give you a fix amount of health, allows them to work equally as good on all characters/builds.
Oh wow, I didn't realize the difference, but yeah, that's definitely one aspect of item management I didn't need to deal with. Nice.

The potion/health globe system was one of the few brilliant things to come out of the game.

I do wish consumables were expanded upon more beyond basic health potions though. I understand the reasoning of not wanting to make disposable buffs that would essentially become mandatory for high-end players, but perhaps it would have helped with inflation. The companion scrolls that existed in beta for a time come to mind.

Shrines are sort of a replacement, but I still think there's a middle ground there that could be explored. I won't deny it's hard to toe the line between "too awesome to use" and "sub-optimal to not use" when designing these things. Certainly increased variety of shrines could/would satisfy most of my wants, though there's something to be said for an interesting array of consumables.

If anything, I'd probably have them not buyable from vendors for gold (or perhaps only weaker versions), but force you to craft them from components found in the world from monsters. And I've been playing a lot of EVE Online lately (though I'm sure consumables have been done this way in other games), but have a chance for negative side effects (and/or extra positive ones). Would tie in nicely with the randomness this genre relies on.

Formosa

None.. End games too boring and repetitive.

MrDaravon

Wait, did no one post this?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/1ludbt/protip_console_endless_farming/

Long story short on console due to RAM limitations (apparently, seems likely) if you clear a few zones the game will start resetting enemies in the oldest zones, so you can essentially run through zones non-stop as opposed to having to quit the game and reload to respawn the game. I find this really amusing (and also awesome).

Also am I still the only person who's noticed that DH's can't equip melee weapons anymore? Really?

Dahbomb

Can you elaborate on this?
I already explained it in a few posts above.

PC version: Multiple types of potions for each difficulty type that restores a fixed amount of health numerically. So a potion early on will restore like 1000 hit points but a potion that restores 1000 hit points in Inferno would be useless (as you can have like 80K health) so you would have to axe it to get a potion that restores more health.

Console version: One potion type for all difficulty essentially. A potion that you pick up in normal is automatically scaled up in Inferno and will always restore a certain percentage of your health (like 60%). No need to sell your old potions for new ones, your old ones are as good as your new ones.

Wait, did no one post this?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/1ludbt/protip_console_endless_farming/

Long story short on console due to RAM limitations (apparently, seems likely) if you clear a few zones the game will start resetting enemies in the oldest zones, so you can essentially run through zones non-stop as opposed to having to quit the game and reload to respawn the game. I find this really amusing (and also awesome).
This is actually kinda cool.

Top Bottom