• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Sanctuary

Speaking to previous D3 PC owners:

I know the big difference is that there's no AH and that drop rate has increased, but what version do you guys recommend?

How's the controller interface/control in action? Any brief impressions are greatly appreciated!

Playing with the controller is surprisingly nice. I think I actually prefer it much more than playing with the mouse/keyboard. The interface is ass, but it's a console interface, so there's not much they could really do. It's serviceable for what's there.

What I'm not liking (but it's not too bad) is how zoomed in the screen is compared to the PC version. Blizzard said some nonsense about doing that on the console so people would have a "better view", but it's the opposite of that. There are too many times where you'll fight a champion and they are off of the screen more than on when you're trying to move away from harmful stuff. This also causes you to get pinned in corners or against walls much too easily.

I honestly think that the console version is the better version due to it's options, but it also brought some new flaws along with it.

On a side note, I just got the most ridiculous legendary in Act 2 NM. Butcher's Carver: 2h Axe that has a 165 min and max, a shitton of INT (playing a Wizard) and +158 life on hit, which comes out to about 4% life steal at my current damage. What makes is ridiculous though is that every time you attack with it, it shouts like The Butcher does. Kind of makes me think of the Macho Man dragon mod for Skyrim.

MrDaravon

Just got the Cain's Fate plans, awww yeah. Requires a lot of mats and probably not worth it too much at this point (I'm 42), but will be great for raising alts.

To those in any doubt about the PS3 version (like I was), let me put your mind at ease. I just played the first hour and it's great. One thing videos online don't show is that this game is really running close to 60 fps most of the time. There is screen tearing, but I promise it doesn't even matter.

Game is so fun on console. I played the PC version for 60 hours and this is way, way better. Don't give it a second thought, buy on PS3 if that's your only choice.

Billen

Banned
Just realized they take 59.99 euros for this download. Holy crap. Think I will sit this one out for a while.

Buying it from Amazon UK is way, way, way cheaper.

Loginius

OK guys, maybe I'm missing something but I am not really feeling the controller.

When people said it was like old school arcade games, I figured that meant Smash TV style. I want to move with the left stick and aim with the right stick so bad!

How do you kite mobs effectively when you have to run and aim with the same stick? Even when I lock on with my scorc, if she's running away from the mob, my ice beam has to manually track all the way around before it hits.

The dodge is seemingly useless outside of evading projectiles. More often than not, I dodge and the enemy still lands a hit.

Stop pushing the stick for a second when you hit the attack button and then almost instantly push it in the direction you want to attack while holding the attack button down.
Needs some getting used to but once you do its awesome and works very well.

Dodge is good if you know when to use it,
Generally it becomes better once you have higher movement speed because it scales with that stat.
Its most usefull if a mob ports to you or if you want to dodge a aoe that spawned underneath you.
Basically it becomes usefull if you get hit while evading since you get a chance to dodge while you would have taken dmg if you had walked away.
If its a attack you can actually evade by walking away you should do that instead since evade only gives a "chance" to dodge, no guarantee even if it looks like you didnt get hit.

WTF I still haven't found a single Legendary item... I just got through act 1 too zzzZzz :(
I cant even tell if you people are trolling or not.

One thing videos online don't show is that this game is really running close to 60 fps most of the time.
No its not, framerate hits the fan once you have a lot of enemys on screen. (higher difficultys)
Still very much playable and should only keep you from buying if you cant stand performance issues.

lol complaining about no legendaries by lvl 15.
No complaints here. There's been no shortage of good drops so its been nothing but a monster bashing good time.

Having the digital download version of this game is going to require me to beef up my willpower. Its just too easy (and fun) to boot this up and play for a few minutes hours.

Why do you people care so much about legendarys that will get replaced by rares after 2-3lvl?
Why would you do the butcher 3 times in a row?
Thats not how loot works in this game.

LOL I told myself to do butcher until I get one. But I stopped because all 3 times were blue items.

Dahbomb

LOL @ people complaining about not getting Legendaries.

At least complete Normal before talking about the drops.

Bosses don't have an obscene high rate of dropping better loot. The best way to get loot is to kill a ton of enemies plus Elites in the shortest amount of time possible. If there's a boss at the end of your run then that's fine. That time spent killing Butcher 3 times could've been used to kill like 5-6 Elite packs which would've given a much better chance of dropping a Legendary.

Do damage types matter in this version?

Arcane damage? Ice? Do I want to use holy damage versus undead? etc. I never remember them having any discrete effect in the PC version, but I haven't played it in a long while either.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
WTF I still haven't found a single Legendary item... I just got through act 1 too zzzZzz :(

Not alone. Might bump up to master 1 for act 2. Hard gave a few yellows but not much else. Always felt a bit under geared given how long many bosses lasted.

Hi, I want to pick this game up and I am interested in the Wizard class. Anyone have any impressions on this class for the console version?

DSmalls84

PS3 version here and I'm happy with it. The game is much more fun than pc because of the loot changes, and I love the gamepad controls. Framerate does drop and there is some tearing, but it hasn't made me like the game any less. Awesome experience.

Kemal86

Simply. How is it?

My 360 literally just RRod on me. So I need something to get my mind off what just happened.

I find the screen tearing to be pretty bad/noticeable to me, but up to you if that bothers you or not. It's been a very long time since I've played a console game with tearing this bad.

Aside from that, plays soooooooo goooooood.

Thanks guys. As long as the game plays fine. Then some tearing wont bother me.
Ill give it go.

Please PS3 don't you YLOD on me now. My heart couldn't take it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Simply. How is it?

My 360 literally just RRod on me. So I need something to get my mind off what just happened.

Playing the PS3 download version and its perfectly fine. Only up to the final dungeon of Act 1 solo, but I have yet to see any screen-tearing and only very minor slowdowns, barely enough to even post about. It's possible issues may crop up on higher difficulties with 4-player co-op, but I'm doing my first run solo since I gave up in Act 2 on PC. No reason I can see yet to avoid this version.

ironcreed

Banned
I had switched to using chakrams for awhile, but going back to rapid fire made the butcher much easier to get by. It wreaks havoc when dual wielding cross bows.

Dahbomb

Wait is it like Legacy Andy's than? Since it didn't have as much stats but it didn't have the increased fire damage on it.
Nah its like the current Andy just without the debuff. I saw KingKongor have it dropped and there was no debuff affix on it. Was a nice upgrade to him. So its basically the best version of Andy in D3 yet.

I only saw the helm for a few seconds so I may be mistaken but I am fairly sure on this.

Loginius

Not alone. Might bump up to master 1 for act 2. Hard gave a few yellows but not much else. Always felt a bit under geared given how long many bosses lasted.

So bosses lasted longer because you were playing on hard and your solution is to increase the difficulty?

There is NO increased magic find between easy and hard.

If you want legendarys to drop leave the game at easy and complete it on normal in the same time it would take you to complete act 2 on master 1.
If you want to enjoy yourself leave the difficulty at easy/normal/hard (whatever is more to your liking, beware higher difficulty means slower progress) and dont go crazy about the fact that it takes you more than 2h to find a legendary that you will use for max. 1h.

Legendarys are not even needed to play until you completed inferno and want to do master.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Simply. How is it?

As a well endowed member of the PC master race I can safely say that the PS3 version is really great. The frame rate is butter.

Note that there is some screen tearing present but it's not as bad as I'd imagined it would be. I've hardly noticed it as the game is so damn good.

I seriously don't understand why people who are only level 1-15 complaining about not getting legendaries drops. It's so weird slightly annoying to boot, it's like they're completely unaware of how loot games work in general. And expect something with a 1-5% drop rate at their level/difficulty to drop like candy from a pinata

Dahbomb

I seriously don't understand why people who are only level 1-15 complainign about not getting legendaries drops. It's so weird slightly annoying to boot.
It's all Yoshi's fault. People see him get like 6 Legendaries per Act and then wonder why they aren't getting 6 Legendaries on Normal Act 1.

About to hit 60 on my first toon, it seemed MUCH quicker 1-60 on console than PC. Is paragon leveling also a lot quicker or is it the same XP as on pc?

Bread

Banned
beat it on normal hard today with my monk, great ride.

my favorite legendary so far is leoric's ring, it gives lots of dex and vitality plus an insane 29% extra experience.

Top Bottom