• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Fjordson

Starting out with a monk as my first serious character. Only played as a demon hunter and barbarian on PC.

This controls really well with a gamepad. Always figured it could from M+KB fine, but this is even better than I thought.

Also, just as I felt when this first came out, the atmosphere and presentation is top notch. I know many don't feel it looks as interesting or as dark as the first two games, but I think it's great. Music is good as well (though maybe not as consistently great as D1 and 2).

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
WOW! What a difference a class makes!

I picked this game up yesterday and started the Barbarian class because I remember really enjoying melee in Torchlight and I was not enjoying myself at all.

I slept on it and started demon night and I am into it deep. Fun doesn't even describe how much I like this game now and I feel so in control with ranged attacks plus I love the mechanic of dodging and weaving my way through a swarm to find the distance advantage so I can waste fools. Feels good!

Fularu

Banned
WOW! What a difference a class makes!

I picked this game up yesterday and started the Barbarian class because I remember really enjoying melee in Torchlight and I was not enjoying myself at all.

I slept on it and started demon night and I am into it deep. Fun doesn't even describe how much I like this game now and I feel so in control with ranged attacks plus I love the mechanic of dodging and weaving my way through a swarm to find the distance advantage so I can waste fools. Feels good!

Barbarians suck for the first 12-15 levels, then they become killing machines and are insanely powerfull and fun (my main's a barb)

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Barbarians suck for the first 12-15 levels, then they become killing machines and are insanely powerfull and fun (my main's a barb)

I may try her again after I bone up using my Demon Hunter for a while. Hopefully have a better feel of the game system and it'll make the difference I need to enjoy the Barbarian.

Sanctuary

Why the hell would you want to trade a non-Dexterity cross bow? Or a better question is why would anyone even want a non-Dexterity bow?

And you can trade with same classes too. Or in most cases stuff like Wizard and WD gear match because they share core stat.

I wouldn't want a non DEX crossbow. That's the entire point. But if a legendary crossbow drops, it's going to have INT all over it due to my class instead of DEX.
You basically read everything I wrote as the complete opposite of the meaning. I know an INT user can trade with another INT user even if it's not the same class...duh. An INT user can't trade with a non INT user in this game without boning the other class' primary stat due to how loot is completely catered to your character.

Jedi2016

Got my third legendary (second in about fifteen minutes), found in a pile of bones in the middle of the desert. Just lying there for all these years.

So far, they've all been specifically tuned with Dex for my monk, even though the two-hander would be much better for a Barb (I like high attack speed on monk, so I always go for one-handers).

Dahbomb

Did you even read what I wrote? I wouldn't want a non DEX crossbow. That's the entire point. But if a legendary crossbow drops, it's going to have INT all over it due to my class instead of DEX.
Legendary crossbows drop far rarer if you are playing Strength/Intel class. Also Witch Doctors can use some Xbows as well if they roll Intel.

To be honest I don't even think non main stats should be rolling on class exclusive gear. Like when is it ever going to be useful for a Mighty Belt to roll Dexterity? Or a Wand rolling Strength? These are just some basic flaws in the itemization of D3. At least the smart drop works very well.

Sanctuary

Legendary crossbows drop far rarer if you are playing Strength/Intel class. Also Witch Doctors can use some Xbows as well if they roll Intel.

To be honest I don't even think non main stats should be rolling on class exclusive gear. Like when is it ever going to be useful for a Mighty Belt to roll Dexterity? Or a Wand rolling Strength? These are just some basic flaws in the itemization of D3. At least the smart drop works very well.

Well, I just gave away a legendary quiver that had...93 INT on it. It had a higher DEX score, but still.

MrDaravon

It's seemingly going to be extremely rare that you're going to get an legendary drop that's not for your class though, so I'm not sure if this will wind up being a practical issue. I'm about to hit Act 4 on Hell and have gotten 44 Legendaries, and only ONE was an item not for my class.

Justin

Are you guys getting all these legendarys playing on a master level on just on normal. I am trying to decide if I should slog though on master level 1 or play through on normal first then up it for farming.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Act III
Nightmare (hard)

getting ass kicked because 2 people are just standing in town for no GOD DAM REASON.

fuck you >_>

Sanctuary

It's seemingly going to be extremely rare that you're going to get an legendary drop that's not for your class though, so I'm not sure if this will wind up being a practical issue. I'm about to hit Act 4 on Hell and have gotten 44 Legendaries, and only ONE was an item not for my class.

I've had nine legendary weapons drop, and only one of them was class specific. It was a Monk Daibo too...with loads of INT. Pretty much every weapon I've had drop is something all but a Demon Hunter could make great use of, but because of all of the INT on them, they are only decent for a Monk or Barbarian.

vilmer_

The only way I would ever consider coming back to this game is if I see this.

iR08Z2vbz5VB0.png

Yoshi knows what I'm talking about <3

MrDaravon

I've had nine legendary weapons drop, and only one of them was class specific. It was a Monk Daibo too...with loads of INT.

Weird, but unless that turns out to be super common I don't know if it's that big of a deal. There has to be some allowance for variance, you can't have every single legendary drop be nothing but ideal stats for your class. Now if that's happening more than say 10-15% of the time or something that's probably an issue, but I'm not sure anyone has enough time in to see how that part pans out.

I've had 13 class specific drops (playing as a DH so I've got quivers and cloaks as well as class-specific weapons) and almost none of mine had that problem. I had a few that had Int on them, but never as the primary or taking up a primary roll slot or that really hurt the weapon in any way other than costing it a "perfect" roll, but that's 1% endgame farming that I'm okay with. But again, that's assuming it actually pans out that way, probably too early to tell. I don't think the issue of getting a drop for another class and having it suck for that class because it's based on your current class' primary stat is going to wind up being much of an issue though given the (apparent) rarity of getting drops for other classes to begin with.

Edit: I see your edit, that makes a little more sense now. I don't know that I can speak to that really though since because I'm playing as a DH right now I'm getting all bow/crossbow drops which no one else can use (except WD's on the 2h ones). I double checked, I actually have gotten two non-DH drops, one was a 2H mighty weapon that had crazy Str, and the other was a shared 1h sword but I can't remember the stats on it that, so hard to say. 2 drops isn't a great sample size for me :p

IvorB

Oh that shit happens. The first time I did Ubers, I had 3 machine ready to go on MP6...

NOT A SINGLE ORGAN DROPPED! This is at 60% chance of dropping! When the RNG gods hate you they really hate you!

Best to do Ubers at 80%+ chance or higher.

Oh man. That's tough.

MrDaravon

Just found a level 59 amulet that has:

-269 Dex
-234 Vit
-95% Critical Hit Damage
-9.5% Critical Hit Chance

Still in Hell lol. Takes me from 76k to 91k dps. So ridiculous.

Kemal86

Listening to old 1UP Yours podcasts while I play tonight.

Level 53, about to finish Act 1 Hell...hmmm....hopefully hit 60 and get to Inferno tonight. Time to put on the coffee!

Sanctuary

iR08Z2vbz5VB0.png

I had one of the first Hammerdins to 99 in CD2. Was my favorite build to play, and then everyone was doing it with the duped Enigma shit in LoD.

Loginius

Yeah that's the problem... why the hell is a Quiver rolling Intel? There is no situation or build that would make use of that stat.

I think the idea is that every class profits from every stat (int gives all resist).
The thing is that in PC diablo 3 you can roll a quiver with 200int and no dex which doesnt make sense.
In the console Version at the very least you will roll dex and only get int as a additional affix which makes more sense but is still kinda useless since the effect of int on all resist is kinda neglectable...

MrDaravon

Okay, just hit Inferno, Paragon level 0. The last boss on Hell dropped that Cindercoat as well as two other upgrades for me. Going into Inferno here are my stats with those upgrades (and no follower/buffs):

Str - 407
Dex - 3349
Int - 499
Vit - 1906
Armor - 2994

Damage - 103,815.42
Attacks Per Second - 1.97
Critical Hit Chance - 29%
Critical Hit Damage - 183%
Dodge Chance - 53.5%
Damage Reduction - 49.55%
Phys Resist - 314
Cold Resist - 214
Fire Resist - 373
Lightning Resist - 272
Poison Resist - 214
Arcane/Holy Resist - 311

HP - 81,723 (lol wat)
Life Bonus - 22%
Life Per Second - 170
Life Steal - 0%
Life per Kill - 2,046
Life per Hit - 0

I played this for about 4 hours today and am really pleasantly surprised at how good the console port is. It plays VERY well, runs smoothly, looks good, loads quickly, and has a smart interface. Despite playing a ton of D1/D2 back in the day, I'm now a lazy old man who pretty much is console-only at this point so D3 was totally off my radar. I rented it from Redbox on a whim when I couldn't find Rayman Legends anywhere around me and I'm loving my monk playthrough. He's so fast and having evade on the stick feels great.

I'm not sure how much more time I'll have to put into it, but it's firmly on my radar to pick up when there's a good sale. Well done, Blizzard!

Dahbomb

Dat Cindercoat holy shit!

That is one of those Legendaries that you basically used to sigh every time it dropped.

You don't have lifesteal/life on hit so you probably can't do high level Inferno yet but once you have a bit more AR and a life steal weapon you will tear up all the way to Master III.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
just bought it and its downloading, PSN version.

It better be good GAF I was a big diablo II fan..

Concept17

Seeing people get excited over loot in Diablo 3 is like fucking magic to me after the hours I put into the PC version. Should never have been an AH.

MrDaravon

Dat Cindercoat holy shit!

That is one of those Legendaries that you basically used to sigh every time it dropped.

You don't have lifesteal/life on hit so you probably can't do high level Inferno yet but once you have a bit more AR and a life steal weapon you will tear up all the way to Master III.

Yeah, Master I Inferno is going pretty well, Master II would probably be pretty dicey right now. I just now got a pair of Depth Diggers from a Treasure Goblin that's a dps upgrade and also has +58 fire resist and +83 all resist sooooo that's a good step in that direction lol.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

iR08Z2vbz5VB0.png

Oh I know. Also, Blessed Hammer is confirmed with the new class in Reaper of Souls :D!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Well, I just gave away a legendary quiver that had...93 INT on it. It had a higher DEX score, but still.

It probably rolled int/dex as one of its affixes after the main dex roll. They do restrict class items to more useful stats now I think.

Top Bottom