• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

i too am playing a demon hunter. i just go to level 17 last night. i don't know what to tell you. that's my experience with the demon hunter also and i'm having a blast. i guess wait and see if the skills and passives that open up later help things. there is a grenade build you can make later that people say is awesome. but it takes a few more levels to open up fully. i don't know what else to say except switch to a different class but i'm not sure that will help. eventually these loot games level out and you just keep doing the same thing over and over. that's the nature of the beast. it's about the loot in the end. my buddy said he tried diablo III on pc and couldn't get into it. said it was way too repetitive. he missed the point i guess.

Might be a weird example but I played Sacred 2 on the consoles and I used a ranged class for more than 200 hours. It was my most favorite class throughout the entirety of the game, and the same thing happened with Dungeon Siege 3. I guess it is starting to become 'shooting/ranged' fatigue where every game ends to be the same. It is not that I hate the class, but that the skills associated with the class are terrible for a lot of occasions because slowing down enemies is your number 1 priority, and it is unfortunate that those skills are almost right there from the start so your 'need and wanting' to progress levels in order to reach another powerful skill, is ruined.

legbone

Might be a weird example but I played Sacred 2 on the consoles and I used a ranged class for more than 200 hours. It was my most favorite class throughout the entirety of the game, and the same thing happened with Dungeon Siege 3. I guess it is starting to become 'shooting/ranged' fatigue where every game ends to be the same. It is not that I hate the class, but that the skills associated with the class are terrible for a lot of occasions because slowing down enemies is your number 1 priority, and it is unfortunate that those skills are almost right there from the start so your 'need and wanting' to progress levels in order to reach another powerful skill, is ruined.

oh, ok then. simple, just switch class now while it's still early. go barb or monk and get your melee on! i usually play barb like classes in my loot games. i decided to go demon hunter with this one because of that. glad i did. it's a nice change of pace for me. sounds like you need to do the same and play a class (ie melee) that is a change for you.

oh, ok then. simple, just switch class now while it's still early. go barb or monk and get your melee on! i usually play barb like classes in my loot games. i decided to go demon hunter with this one because of that. glad i did. it's a nice change of pace for me. sounds like you need to do the same and play a class (ie melee) that is a change for you.

Now I just need to know which melee class is the most enjoyable and versatile; barbarian or monk.

Dahbomb

If you don't like playing as a "coward" then play a melee class. Ranged classes when they are under geared or have low EHP have to play defensively, it's the whole design of the class.

Monk is more enjoyable than Barb. More build diversity and fun moves to use. Anything that isn't WW/Rend Barb sort of sucks or is just plain boring.

Anyone using a wizard here? Just got level 19 and unlocked a new power called explosive blast, but it doesn't seem to do anything?

Any tips on how to use it? It doesn't seem to do any damage for me...

IvorB

I have reached Level 16 and just reached the Warden boss but I am starting to find my Demon Hunter incredibly boring. All I do when I reach mobs of enemies is slow them down with both Chain Gang and Caltrops and just hold the right trigger to decimate them with either Rapid Fire or Chakrams. It is getting stale. There is no true sense of getting abilities that totally change my playing field because the combination I use now is the most effective thing there is. I feel like a coward, constantly laying traps and changing my position in the battlefield without getting hit once. I am seriously considering on switching to the monk or barbarian, but am afraid that the barbarian is too much of a Hulk character.

What do you guys recommend if you take my experience into consideration?

I like mage because there are lot's of different abilities and it can be quite tactical. Loving the mage in Diablo 3. Maybe give it a try. I played some Barbarian last night and it was okay but pretty brainless just pressing X A LOT. It made me appreciate the mage more for the more tactical aspect it brings and ability to truly mix it up. My co-op partner is using monk and it looks like a lot of fun to be honest. I might check that out next. So maybe do that...

Into

Anyone using a wizard here? Just got level 19 and unlocked a new power called explosive blast, but it doesn't seem to do anything?

Any tips on how to use it? It doesn't seem to do any damage for me...

Many skills and abilities are actually crappy without any runes, there are builds that center around Explosive Blast. It takes time for it to detonate, so you have to really use yourself as some kind of ticking bomb for it to work properly.

The rune Short Fuse will make it instantly explode for physical damage, making it somewhat useful.

Its kinda fun, but takes too much micromanagement compared to other Wizard abilities so i usually stay away from EB

You will get Disintegrate at lvl 21 i believe, its basically this except from your hands:
cyclops-tantrum.jpg

If you don't like playing as a "coward" then play a melee class. Ranged classes when they are under geared or have low EHP have to play defensively, it's the whole design of the class.

Monk is more enjoyable than Barb. More build diversity and fun moves to use. Anything that isn't WW/Rend Barb sort of sucks or is just plain boring.

I like mage because there are lot's of different abilities and it can be quite tactical. Loving the mage in Diablo 3. Maybe give it a try. I played some Barbarian last night and it was okay but pretty brainless just pressing X A LOT. It made me appreciate the mage more for the more tactical aspect it brings and ability to truly mix it up. My co-op partner is using monk and it looks like a lot of fun to be honest. I might check that out next. So maybe do that...

Monk it is. I finally have the evening for myself in two hours so I got a lot of Diablo 3 time.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
im level 20 on both my wiz and my monk now.
legendarys start to come in pretty regular now. I guess i found 6 or 7 by now. Gave one with +MF away when my mate complained he does not find any..

yeah and that detonation kinda sucks..

Audioboxer

Does anyone know if two accounts can play locally on the PS3? Or is it simply one account and up to 3 "player 1/2/3's" when it comes to co-op.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Since this is my first playthrough of Diablo 3 I've decided to play through the whole thing solo so that I can explore at my leisure and listen to the lore recordings, etc. However I'm trying to decide which of the followers is the best? I'm playing the Monk and so far the Templar seems like the best bet since he can facetank enemies for me while I run around doing damage. Do the Scoundrel or Enchantress have any redeeming qualities that I should consider?

Into

Since this is my first playthrough of Diablo 3 I've decided to play through the whole thing solo so that I can explore at my leisure and listen to the lore recordings, etc. However I'm trying to decide which of the followers is the best? I'm playing the Monk and so far the Templar seems like the best bet since he can facetank enemies for me while I run around doing damage. Do the Scoundrel or Enchantress have any redeeming qualities that I should consider?

The Scoundrel and Enchantress tend to be very popular endgame, because their t4 passives are great.

I use the Scoundrel as a Barb simply because of Hysteria, which means whenever i or the Scoundrel lands a Crit, both get Increased damage done by 10% for 3 seconds, the effect cannot occur more than once every 5 seconds.

Basically in practice it procs every 5th second and lasts for 3.

That early in the game you can use any of them in any way, its very easy, but i doubt you will be using him later on, as they cannot tank Inferno high Paragon well, they just get smushed. Templar i feel has the weakest tier 4, passive resource increase seems weak, but again i play Barb and resources are not a issue

The Enchantress makes me laugh when she speaks. I take her specifically for that reason.

Lord Phol

Level 15 Demon Hunter, taking it slow enjoying the game so far.
Playing online is bit of a double-edged sword for me. If I'm lucky someone who's chill like me joins in, giving me time to explore the areas, looking through my gear etc. If I'm unlucky I get a bunch of people just rushing through the content, which kind of stresses me out. Would be nice if I could flag my online status as relaxed/chill/explorer or something.

Got 3 Legendaries in ACT 1 Normal, a helm, 1h crossbow and a ring. So pretty happy with that!
If anyone wants to game, I'm on PS3 as LordPhol.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
FINALLY HOME!!!! Let's get this show started :D!!!!!!!!

Dahbomb

People pick Scoundrel if they want to go for a pure DPS build. His last two passive are pretty damn good especially Hysteria. He has triple shot and a slow so if you give him a cold weapon he can freeze/slow a lot of enemies at once, great for range classes especially Demon Hunter who gets bonus damage passive from hitting slowed enemies.

Templar is only good if you play a build that focuses on resource regeneration. Stuff like Tempest Rush Monk build where he needs a lot of Spirit regeneration.

Enchantress is also pretty good as she provides some extra DPS and some tankiness as well through passives. Her main problem is survivability though, the Scoundrel has a couple of abilities that help him escape tight sitiations but the Enchantress dies easily due to having dumb AI. Templar can at least be built as a tank.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Neph cap at 3... Since when?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Level 15 Demon Hunter, taking it slow enjoying the game so far.
Playing online is bit of a double-edged sword for me. If I'm lucky someone who's chill like me joins in, giving me time to explore the areas, looking through my gear etc. If I'm unlucky I get a bunch of people just rushing through the content, which kind of stresses me out. Would be nice if I could flag my online status as relaxed/chill/explorer or something.

Got 3 Legendaries in ACT 1 Normal, a helm, 1h crossbow and a ring. So pretty happy with that!
If anyone wants to game, I'm on PS3 as LordPhol.

Ah if I was at home right now I would definitely add you, I play the same way - take my time exploring and soaking in the game. I probably won't have any time to play today, but I'll add you tomorrow and maybe we can party up. I currently have a level 18 Monk in Act 2 Normal.

Yoshichan

MrDaravon

People pick Scoundrel if they want to go for a pure DPS build. His last two passive are pretty damn good especially Hysteria. He has triple shot and a slow so if you give him a cold weapon he can freeze/slow a lot of enemies at once, great for range classes especially Demon Hunter who gets bonus damage passive from hitting slowed enemies.

Templar is only good if you play a build that focuses on resource regeneration. Stuff like Tempest Rush Monk build where he needs a lot of Spirit regeneration.

Enchantress is also pretty good as she provides some extra DPS and some tankiness as well through passives. Her main problem is survivability though, the Scoundrel has a couple of abilities that help him escape tight sitiations but the Enchantress dies easily due to having dumb AI. Templar can at least be built as a tank.

Enchantress is only useful over the Scoundrel if you need the IAS boost instead of the CC boost from the Scoundrel (or want to mess around with a freeze/azurewrath build), but the main problem there is that if she dies you lose the IAS boost while she's dead since it's an aura she has active. If the Scoundrel dies you still keep the CC boost since it's a passive.

Yoshichan

#38... "Key of hate"

What?

Yoshichan

#39, 1H spear
Holy shit do you not know about ubers? My faith in you is shattered Yoshi-kun
Explain to me how I could know anything about D3 2 months after launch. Every time I heard, read or even thought about this game, I shat blood.

Lord Phol

Ah if I was at home right now I would definitely add you, I play the same way - take my time exploring and soaking in the game. I probably won't have any time to play today, but I'll add you tomorrow and maybe we can party up. I currently have a level 18 Monk in Act 2 Normal.

Yeah sure! I don't know how much time I will have for gaming tomorrow though, but feel free to add me and/or send me a pm if you see me online!

V_Arnold

Yeah, you missed out on the best part of D3, Yoshi.

Doing MP5-6-8+ Ubers with a 4-man party when people did not actually have 200k+ dps by default. And that will not be replicated with the console port :p

Yoshichan

#40, Fire Walkers (boots)

Edit: guys, I'm not jealous about the "good times" you had with D3. Jfyi.

MrDaravon

#39, 1H spear

Explain to me how I could know anything about D3 2 months after launch. Every time I heard, read or even thought about this game, I shat blood.

lol

It was a pretty big change, I figured if nothing else in building this thread you would have come across it. Anyway: http://www.diablowiki.net/Infernal_Machine

Short version: In Inferno they added special Keywarden elites, one for each act. The Act 4 one drops the plans for the Inferno Machine, the other three elites have a chance of dropping their respective keys, all three of which are needed to make one machine. The higher MP/Master level you are playing on the better the odds are that they keys/plan will drop. Then you use the machines to open one of three portals, each of which has a pair of uber bosses in them. Once defeated, each set of bosses has a chance to drop an organ item (again higher MP/Master level increases the odds of it dropping). You can then craft all three organs into one of 4 Hellfire rings. There's a Hellfire plan for each of the four primary stats (Dex/Vit/Int/Str), and it's guaranteed to roll:

-170-200 on the primary stat you chose
-4 random props
-35% bonus XP
-Chance to shoot a fireball whenever you attack

The ring is accountbound, but has NO level requirement, and can also be equipped by your followers. This is an extremely key item to level alts quickly, since you can equip it at level one for pretty crazy stats at that level as well as the bonus XP, etc. I haven't seen anyone craft one of these yet on console, I'm curious what the rolls can be now. It's a pain in the ass and not common, but it's also a potential best in slot item since you could theoretically roll primary stat/CC/CD/IAS.

Yoshichan

#41, Death Watch Mantle (shoulders)

Dahbomb

LOL Yoshi didn't play D3 after 2 months of its launch? ROFL!

Here's what the Keys/Ubers are. I am going to explain them in some detail because I am sure a lot of people here don't know what that is so it would save them some time.

In each Act there is a Key Warden. He's like a big powered up Unique monster. The following regions are where you can find the Key Wardens:

Act 1: Fields of Misery
Act 2: Dahlgur Oasis
Act 3: Stonefort
Act 4: The areas right before the final boss, I forgot the name of those regions

The first 3 Key Wardens drop Keys (Keys of Destruction/Terror etc). The last key warden drops an Infernal Machine plan. You only need the plan once but every time you want to open the Infernal Machine portal you need all 3 keys.

You acquire the keys as follows. You basically get max stacks of Nephalem Valor (on console that's 3 stacks) and then go find the Key Warden in those areas. Depending on your Monster Power level/difficulty, he has a certain chance of dropping the key. At Master I it's 60% and then it's 10% increased chance for each additional difficulty so at Master V the Key Wardens are GUARANTEED to drop a Key (or in the case of Act 4 guaranteed Plan drop).

After you have acquired all 3 Keys and Plans, you go to the town in Act 1, craft the Infernal Machine and go to a small stall like room right next to the top fat guy vendor. Inside you can activate the Machine and a portal will open. Now the interesting stuff.

One of 3 portals can open but if you have 3 machines then all 3 portals will open and the 3 portals will be different. It's best to do this as opposed to getting 1 machine, then come back again after farming another because if you do that you might go to the same portal again. You can do this with other player's machines too, so 3 players can have 1 machine each and it works the same way.

The portal that activates takes you to an Uber boss fight but here's the twist... not only are they uber versions of their normal self but there are two of them in the same area. These are not the final act bosses but rather the secondary bosses in the acts (like Skeleton King or Maghda). The boss duos are the following: Skeleton King plus Maghda, Zoltun Kulle plus Siegebreaker and Ghom plus that first boss in Act 4 (who I can't remember the name of).

Defeating these bosses has a chance of dropping one of 3 parts of the Hellfire Ring. The chance of these parts dropping is the same as the chance of a Key dropping and what part you get depends on which boss pair you were fighting. It's best to do Ubers at high difficulties because if you don't get a specific part then you basically wasted an Infernal Machine. Once you get all 3 parts you can combine them to form the Hellfire Ring.

The Hellfire Ring has a guaranteed high core stat of your class plus can roll random other affixes like other rings. But what makes this special is that it has a guaranteed stat of experience bonus which is a must for Paragon leveling. The other affixes can roll high so if you are very lucky then the Hellfire could be the best ring for you. Another ability is that it throws out this big fireball on chance, they do decent damage although when these rings first came out that fireball used to do 2 million damage! The Hellfire ring can also be put on Followers and it has no level requirement... you can even put it on your fresh character and he/she will one shot everything in the game starting out!

Yoshichan

TY for info. Yeah Dahbomb, laugh :)

Edit: something just happened, guess I'm not playing this anymore today... Fbwkslabjelajajsjwbak

is there any reason a relatively inexperienced gamer (my fiance) can't play this? she likes to play co-op games like this with me, but its rare that we're able to do it locally and have it be something simple enough for her. i was thinking she could just be a barbarian and basically mash A and some other buttons most of the time, and i could be a monk because of the healing abilities. from the giant bomb QL it doesn't seem like the controls are too weird.

Drakken

For co-op, how does this compare to games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Dungeon Siege III? I love co-op console dungeon crawlers like those and have been looking for something in that vein.

Another man who played Sacred 2. I swear to fucking god I must be the only one on gaf who played the shit out of that game.Dryad=win.

Finally finished Normal mode ... around 7 legendaries, including some 61 DPS mace at level 24. Diablo gave me such a crazy amulet as well, like 160 Dex, +AvgDmg +Atk 5% and some proc spell that puts little arcane balls around me.

Literally OP now, was going to do Master 1 from now on but I'm thinking it's in my own best interest to just blast out the whole game on normal and get to the meat and bones.

JCizzle

Fuck yes! Just hit 18 and got THREE fucking legendaries in the last 30 mins. Ring, quiver and chest as a DH. All huge upgrades. I got ONE shit low level legendary in ~100 hours on PC that wasn't even an upgrade for my character at the time. God this is so much better.

Dahbomb

is there any reason a relatively inexperienced gamer (my fiance) can't play this? she likes to play co-op games like this with me, but its rare that we're able to do it locally and have it be something simple enough for her. i was thinking she could just be a barbarian and basically mash A and some other buttons most of the time, and i could be a monk because of the healing abilities. from the giant bomb QL it doesn't seem like the controls are too weird.
This game is very newbie friendly especially in co op. The only hard part is learning to navigate the menu to equip or discard/sell items. You can just play follow my lead.

IvorB

LOL Yoshi didn't play D3 after 2 months of its launch? ROFL!

Here's what the Keys/Ubers are. I am going to explain them in some detail because I am sure a lot of people here don't know what that is so it would save them some time.

In each Act there is a Key Warden. He's like a big powered up Unique monster. The following regions are where you can find the Key Wardens:

Act 1: Fields of Misery
Act 2: Dahlgur Oasis
Act 3: Stonefort
Act 4: The areas right before the final boss, I forgot the name of those regions

The first 3 Key Wardens drop Keys (Keys of Destruction/Terror etc). The last key warden drops an Infernal Machine plan. You only need the plan once but every time you want to open the Infernal Machine portal you need all 3 keys.

You acquire the keys as follows. You basically get max stacks of Nephalem Valor (on console that's 3 stacks) and then go find the Key Warden in those areas. Depending on your Monster Power level/difficulty, he has a certain chance of dropping the key. At Master I it's 60% and then it's 10% increased chance for each additional difficulty so at Master V the Key Wardens are GUARANTEED to drop a Key (or in the case of Act 4 guaranteed Plan drop).

After you have acquired all 3 Keys and Plans, you go to the town in Act 1, craft the Infernal Machine and go to a small stall like room right next to the top fat guy vendor. Inside you can activate the Machine and a portal will open. Now the interesting stuff.

One of 3 portals can open but if you have 3 machines then all 3 portals will open and the 3 portals will be different. It's best to do this as opposed to getting 1 machine, then come back again after farming another because if you do that you might go to the same portal again. You can do this with other player's machines too, so 3 players can have 1 machine each and it works the same way.

The portal that activates takes you to an Uber boss fight but here's the twist... not only are they uber versions of their normal self but there are two of them in the same area. These are not the final act bosses but rather the secondary bosses in the acts (like Skeleton King or Maghda). The boss duos are the following: Skeleton King plus Maghda, Zoltun Kulle plus Siegebreaker and Ghom plus that first boss in Act 4 (who I can't remember the name of).

Defeating these bosses has a chance of dropping one of 3 parts of the Hellfire Ring. The chance of these parts dropping is the same as the chance of a Key dropping and what part you get depends on which boss pair you were fighting. It's best to do Ubers at high difficulties because if you don't get a specific part then you basically wasted an Infernal Machine. Once you get all 3 parts you can combine them to form the Hellfire Ring.

The Hellfire Ring has a guaranteed high core stat of your class plus can roll random other affixes like other rings. But what makes this special is that it has a guaranteed stat of experience bonus which is a must for Paragon leveling. The other affixes can roll high so if you are very lucky then the Hellfire could be the best ring for you. Another ability is that it throws out this big fireball on chance, they do decent damage although when these rings first came out that fireball used to do 2 million damage! The Hellfire ring can also be put on Followers and it has no level requirement... you can even put it on your fresh character and he/she will one shot everything in the game starting out!

I can just see getting all the way to the Ubers and they don't drop anything ha ha!! Feel that pain...

Dahbomb

I can just see getting all the way to the Ubers and they don't drop anything ha ha!! Feel that pain...
Oh that shit happens. The first time I did Ubers, I had 3 machine ready to go on MP6...

NOT A SINGLE ORGAN DROPPED! This is at 60% chance of dropping! When the RNG gods hate you they really hate you!

Best to do Ubers at 80%+ chance or higher.

IvorB

For co-op, how does this compare to games like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Dungeon Siege III? I love co-op console dungeon crawlers like those and have been looking for something in that vein.

Diablo is the king of those types of games. And the king is back. I have seen that in the two session I have played. When it comes to making these types of games, Blizzard know what time it is.

Top Bottom