• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

IvorB

I'm playing on normal. Maybe I'll drop it down to easy then based on your comments. Thanks

So no higher chance of item drops/better items from normal to easy? Or just not a big enough difference?

Why would you play on easy? That must be so boring...

IvorB

Just got a mate to buy this game so we can go three-man next weekend. Does the game scale up encounters if you have more people on board?

Dahbomb

Just got a mate to buy this game so we can go three-man next weekend. Does the game scale up encounters if you have more people on board?
Yes it's scaled up. Not by a lot so playing in groups is the best way to play the game if you are all semi coordinated.

When a legendary drops and you pick it up, you'll have to "identify" it to reveal its stats. It's really dumb, I don't know why they do that. You'll see it fine on the ground when it drops.

I am pretty sure when you "identify" that's when the game roll the dice for your item stat. The stats on item are not set when you pick up item but when you identify them, or that how I understand the way it work when playing PC version. It probably help with load time, computation etc...

I am surprise this game is sold out around where I am. I have an urge to pick this up last night went to the store and they were sold out.

Dahbomb

Identifying Legendaries is hype.

At least be glad you don't have identify Rares like you do on the PC version. What a colossal waste of time that was.

Sanctuary

I tracked down the official values for the console versions. Maybe this should be added to OP?

Those values have been repeated in this thread, but that official picture would put an end to it once and for all.

Those values are for Normal to Hell. Inferno has a different chart altogether.

On Master 1 Inferno it's +150% MF and +214% (what an odd number) XP gains. I'm glad you actually brought that up or I probably wouldn't have noticed for a while. I'm at a point where Easy, Medium and Hard are laughable in Inferno, and I've been keeping items with higher damage/mitigation in the chest because they didn't have MF. I'm only at 60% MF now, so I may as well bank my MF crap and go for higher stats and switch to Master 1.

Edit: Lmao, up to 90k DPS and 476 resist all now. Quite a bit higher than what I was at previously with 60% MF.

PureGone

Banned
Jump on it ASAP. It's the most addictive game you can think of.

It's the game people expected out of Diablo 3 so far. Complaints will naturally come out once people hit 'the grind' but if you have any interest in a loot games or action RPG this is the best choice on consoles bar none.

Hit level 22 on my Monk this morning. I'm really enjoying this game, and more importantly I'm really enjoying the Monk. It took me a while to warm up to the class but once you hit level 20 you really have such a wide range of spells to play around with that I never feel like I'm limited to one or two main skills in my fights. The gamechanger for me was the passive that heals you for every point of Spirit that you use, which means that spamming my abilities in combat heals me and gives me the survivability that I was previously lacking. I'm also running Deadly Reach with the Keen Eye rune, which increases my armor by 50% for 4 seconds on every third attack, so I'm able to survive fights much better than previously.

This is my current build. I'm trying to decide between Seven-Sided Strike and Mystic Ally. On the one hand SSS does a ridiculous amount of AOE damage and has a higher Spirit cost (i.e., it heals me for more), but the Mystic Ally is a consistent source of DPS. Not really sure which is better.

I absolutely love the game, BUT I have no interest in GTA V so I don't have that conflict. I find it hard to see how you would be able to play both these games at the same time, since they're both massive time sinks.

absolutely. this and GTAV are the only games I will be playing until next gen.

just beat normal, hard with same group since act 2 this morning. monk, barb, whizz and me the DH

9 legendaries so far- awesome job Blizzard, I am addicted.

Yep this game will be in rotation with GTA 5

The game is absolutely fantastic. Shits all over the PC version as sorry as I am to say that. I've got a 60 Barb and several other mid 30s characters on the PC version, and I know I'll never touch them again.

Game really needs a ladder system. Need some more dick waving community metrics we can show off.

Other than that the game is perfect and I have no idea why I am bothering to reply in this thread, when its wasting time I could be playing the game.

Its digital crack.

Looks like ill be doubling up on Diablo 3 and GTA V

Drame

Hell done! Went faster than expected, only few hours.

Rend build is the way to cheese, heh!

Diablo blessed me with a 1400 dos mighty 1h!

Alright! Soon the real game will begin. Although, I have to get to 60 first lol.

yatesl

I'm enjoying it, but I'm finding it really easy on normal. As a demon hunter, I just held RT and rolled through all of Act I. I'm going to start Act II on Master 1.

I've also forced myself to take off my Inferno Helm, as I hate just trashing helmets straight away, and feel the 25% exp boost is making it easy.

With the rate they through loot at you, it's a bit overwhelming. I sort of wish I had it on PC (but I refuse to as always online), just to show off my loot. What's the point in getting it, if you can't share?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
So after reading the rave reviews from people in this thread I'm super set on buying this game. Quick question though, the only classes I played in D2 were sorceress and necro. I'm assuming the wizard class is basically the same as sorc... How does the witch doctor compare to the necro? What is the play style like?

Dahbomb

With the rate they through loot at you, it's a bit overwhelming. I sort of wish I had it on PC (but I refuse to as always online), just to show off my loot. What's the point in getting it, if you can't share?
You can share. Trading in the game is still in tact just like old school Diablo 2.

And no one is going to care about loot dropping in Normal through Hell.

Jedi2016

Identifying Legendaries is hype.

At least be glad you don't have identify Rares like you do on the PC version. What a colossal waste of time that was.
I never had a problem with it at first. It was like opening a birthday present. It wore off after a while when every present was a box of rocks, but still. I wouldn't have minded it here.

I just replaced my Legendary bracers with another pair of Legendary bracers. And I'm only on Act II Normal.

So after reading the rave reviews from people in this thread I'm super set on buying this game. Quick question though, the only classes I played in D2 were sorceress and necro. I'm assuming the wizard class is basically the same as sorc... How does the witch doctor compare to the necro? What is the play style like?

The Witch Doctor is.. very different. A lot of his abilities are damage over time and indirect. It's a hit or miss, if you want mass summons you wont get it with the WD. If you want straight up huge damage you won't find it on the WD. I leveled one up to 60 but couldn't enjoy it on the PC because the strongest spell is a an ability that requires proper positioning to get best dmg from or specific gear.

Forsythia

Just saw a commercial during the football game and it didn't even mention an xbox version.

That's that 'stragic partnership' with Sony at work. It blows my mind Blizzards needs such a thing at all, but, okay, at least it's not a PS exclusive.

Loving the game so far, it's hard to put down. I like playing it with a gamepad so much better. :)

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
The Witch Doctor is.. very different. A lot of his abilities are damage over time and indirect. It's a hit or miss, if you want mass summons you wont get it with the WD. If you want straight up huge damage you won't find it on the WD. I leveled one up to 60 but couldn't enjoy it on the PC because the strongest spell is a an ability that requires proper positioning to get best dmg from or specific gear.

Ahhh ok, so it's not really a summoning class? Fuck that's lame I loved my necro. Back to my standard glass cannon mage class lol.

V_Arnold

Do not get the Witch Doctor naay vibe, though.

Sacrifice dog builds will ROCK the worlds of Diablo III. Simply insanely rock it.
Even in pc version, I was doing 1mill~ damage numbers with that (plus bears ofc, which crit), pre-crafted days.

I cant imagine the numbers that will do in the console reality....

WD does summon stuff but the familiars aren't that strong.

For dps, nope, but for tanking (ubers, high mp wardens/minibosses/elites), they are fine. Since they scale with gear, they will be more than viable for tanking/CC.

Aren't all the major changes (except for dodge roll) that came to this version also coming to PC though?

Not the amount of high quality loot items. If you read any blue posts, they always go into how console has reduced drops and better quality. They're saying loot will not change much on PC because AH. What separates 1.5 and 2.0 is the new loot that comes in that affects abilities a lot.

Dahbomb

For dps, nope, but for tanking (ubers, high mp wardens/minibosses/elites), they are fine. Since they scale with gear, they will be more than viable for tanking/CC.
I was mostly comparing it to the Necro class. Familiars are still strong in D3 (much, much better than what they were when the game first launched) but the Necro class in D2 was a beast.

Jack_AG

Banned
As a lowbie barb I'm curious how I should choose which weapons I want to use. Should I focus on pure dps, decent dps but lots of str on the weapon, or are stats more important than dps (meaning 20 str but 6 dps less than another weapon)?
Str affects dps so equip weapon and take a look at stat changes.

Also - dunno if it's a bug: equipping something I find will add to your current stats as if the previous item still existed. Exiting the inventory screen then coming right back (hit select twice) will reflect proper changes. PS3 version.

Xevren

Aren't all the major changes (except for dodge roll) that came to this version also coming to PC though with loot 2.0?

They don't exactly update in a timely manner. I love Diablo 3 but after playing the console version it kind of sucks to play on PC where you're always used to the loot being complete and utter shit.

Prove me wrong Blizzard, let's see a patch do something to the loot before the year ends :p

Dahbomb

Str affects dps so equip weapon and take a look at stat changes.

Also - dunno if it's a bug: equipping something I find will add to your current stats as if the previous item still existed. Exiting the inventory screen then coming right back (hit select twice) will reflect proper changes. PS3 version.
It's a bug that has already been exploited to get insane stats on characters aka "hacked" characters. Saw a Barb running around with 4 million DPS!

Number45

When a legendary drops and you pick it up, you'll have to "identify" it to reveal its stats. It's really dumb, I don't know why they do that. You'll see it fine on the ground when it drops.
I like the sense of anticipation when identifying a legendary.

I just spent 20,000 upgrading my stash. For some reason I had that confused with my inventory space.

Damnit. :(
Yeah, you can't upgrade your inventory. But with quick access to town via the portals and the junk system it takes seconds to free up space.

Looks like ill be doubling up on Diablo 3 and GTA V
I decided to hold off on GTA until the PS4 version. Glad I did now, there's no way I'd have time for another game (still need to finish The Last of Us. Starting Diablo was... a mistake for that game).

Valnen

Not the amount of high quality loot items. If you read any blue posts, they always go into how console has reduced drops and better quality. They're saying loot will not change much on PC because AH. What separates 1.5 and 2.0 is the new loot that comes in that affects abilities a lot.

But they specifically said they're going to have the same mindset of less drops but all higher quality just like the console version.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9793040962#8

Dahbomb

On Master 1 Inferno it's +150% MF and +214% (what an odd number) XP gains. I'm glad you actually brought that up or I probably wouldn't have noticed for a while. I'm at a point where Easy, Medium and Hard are laughable in Inferno, and I've been keeping items with higher damage/mitigation in the chest because they didn't have MF. I'm only at 60% MF now, so I may as well bank my MF crap and go for higher stats and switch to Master 1.
Magic Find is irrelevant on the console version.

You get Magic Find bonuses for each Paragon level. Not only that but you get plenty of Legendaries and you will continue to find upgrades all the up to Paragon 20-30 by which time you would probably be geared for Master IV/V. Magic Find also has a cap from gear/Paragon level so at 100 Paragon level you reach cap Magic Find and the magic find from your gear is worthless.

But they specifically said they're going to have the same mindset of less drops but all higher quality just like the console version.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9793040962#8

Yep but they also mention how there are console specific stuff

"The console team literally took elements of Loot 2.0 and added them to the PS3 and Xbox 360 experience, and then made some additional changes they felt best suited the console environment and playstyle. "

Considering the difference is no AH and offline only mode, I'm just being cautious and considering that console has rolls upped and drop rates up higher than 2.0 on PC.

Valnen

Considering the difference is no AH and offline only mode, I'm just being cautious and considering that console has rolls upped and drop rates up higher than 2.0 on PC.

Judging from everything that person said the console specific loot 2.0 things were more related to things like white drops converting to gold or crafting cost adjustments. I'm pretty sure the loot system on PC will be just as good by the time the expansion hits. Also we haven't even seen loot 2.0 on PC yet, so I'm not sure how you seem to be so certain that drop rates will always be higher on console.

Sanctuary

Just killed my first Keywarden, and finally got an upgrade to the amulet I'd been wearing since level 25 (!!!!). Dropped Tal Rasha's Allegiance, which was my first set item too. My damage just jumped up 10k too.

dubq

Question: when I am playing online multi, and loot drops.. does the other player see my loot or do they have their own loot on their end? I ask because I noticed that one guy I was playing with, at the same level, wasn't picking up ANY loot at all and I kinda felt guilty because I was grabbing it all (even after I would stand by and wait to see if he wanted it). I also noticed that he would walk over gold on my screen and it wouldn't get picked up so this kind of tipped me off that maybe online loot is separate for each player....?

Dahbomb

Yeah Kripparian was talking about this when people were getting super hyped for the console version loot and what it means for the PC version with Loot 2.0.

Making the loot "good" in the AH environment means that the difference between super expensive items and not that expensive item is narrower. If say tomorrow they just ported the loot system from console to PC, then people will soon realize that their 200 str, crit/LS, socket 1200 DPS Echoing Fury is WORTHLESS on the AH when it's competing with 1600 DPS 1Hs. All this does is change the requirement for what is considered "good".

Right now the console version is nice because without readily available gear you see people running with different types of gear. I have seen like 10 different 1H legendaries being used by Barbs when on the PC everyone is running around with an Echoing Fury or if it's a 2H it's a Skorn. Once this loot is put on the AH it will further homogenize gear so that people will just get the best of the best because it's readily available. And of course the gold economy will still go to shit where as right now gold is still decently valuable.

I guess all it will change is that it would be easier to self gear for MP10 but you will always be out classed by someone who uses the AH. It's just a fundamental problem with the PC version that better loot won't necessarily fix... it's only fixable by a non AH Ladder system. Scaling Legendaries and more skill build changing Legendaries is also a step in the right direction, it at least makes the pool of end game viable Legendaries much higher.

Valnen

Yeah Kripparian was talking about this when people were getting super hyped for the console version loot and what it means for the PC version with Loot 2.0.

Making the loot "good" in the AH environment means that the difference between super expensive items and not that expensive item is narrower. If say tomorrow they just ported the loot system from console to PC, then people will soon realize that their 200 str, crit/LS, socket 1200 DPS Echoing Fury is WORTHLESS on the AH when it's competing with 1600 DPS 1Hs. All this does is change the requirement for what is considered "good".

Right now the console version is nice because without readily available gear you see people running with different types of gear. I have seen like 10 different 1H legendaries being used by Barbs when on the PC everyone is running around with an Echoing Fury or if it's a 2H it's a Skorn. Once this loot is put on the AH it will further homogenize gear so that people will just get the best of the best because it's readily available. And of course the gold economy will still go to shit where as right now gold is still decently valuable.

I guess all it will change is that it would be easier to self gear for MP10 but you will always be out classed by someone who uses the AH. It's just a fundamental problem with the PC version that better loot won't necessarily fix... it's only fixable by a non AH Ladder system. Scaling Legendaries and more skill build changing Legendaries is also a step in the right direction, it at least makes the pool of end game viable Legendaries much higher.
I don't see how any of the AH stuff really matters if you only ever play solo, which seemingly most people do if you see the amount of people asking for offline play.

Dahbomb

I don't see how any of the AH stuff really matters if you only ever play solo, which seemingly most people do if you see the amount of people asking for offline play.
Because most people DON'T play solo, they play with others in groups because that's the best way to play the game. The people who want to play offline are also a sizable group but that's because they want to play the game without lag on Hardcore. Softcore players who make up the majority are fine playing with online but playing online means you are playing with people with AH gear. Your non AH gear is going to slow down the farm of your teammates and they are basically carrying you through farm runs.

The loot on the PC version is tuned for AH and online play... which means they have restricted drops on the notion that they assume you are going to use these features. This hampers solo play, it's not optimized and there's a huge opportunity cost of playing the game without the AH when everyone else is playing on the AH. This means it takes you longer to get to MP10 status than everyone else, it takes you longer to get to P100 than everyone else and pretty much slows your game down to a crawl versus other people who are doing like 400+ million XP runs per hour.

The whole "you don't have to use the AH" argument has always been a terrible one. The console version has now just proved this point. It's a lesser game due to there being an AH to begin with. The only way this problem is going to be mitigated is with a Ladder that has no AH (there can be AH Ladders as well).

Top Bottom