• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So yeah. Never going back to PC hahaha. This is like...Diablo III. The real one. It's amazing how a game can change with simple but necessary tweaks like this.

So yeah. Never going back to PC hahaha. This is like...Diablo III. The real one. It's amazing how a game can change with simple but necessary tweaks like this.

It's true. I'm one of the few who enjoyed the PC version, but this is a much better experience by every quantitative possibility.

Getting legendaries at a higher clip doesn't diminish the satisfaction of seeing one as I expected.

Edit: Is there a list of changes from the PC version? I'd like to know which moves have been modified on the classes I haven't played very much.

Now that everyone's played it, what's GAF's consensus? Should I get it even though GTA V is so close by

It's the game people expected out of Diablo 3 so far. Complaints will naturally come out once people hit 'the grind' but if you have any interest in a loot games or action RPG this is the best choice on consoles bar none.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hit level 22 on my Monk this morning. I'm really enjoying this game, and more importantly I'm really enjoying the Monk. It took me a while to warm up to the class but once you hit level 20 you really have such a wide range of spells to play around with that I never feel like I'm limited to one or two main skills in my fights. The gamechanger for me was the passive that heals you for every point of Spirit that you use, which means that spamming my abilities in combat heals me and gives me the survivability that I was previously lacking. I'm also running Deadly Reach with the Keen Eye rune, which increases my armor by 50% for 4 seconds on every third attack, so I'm able to survive fights much better than previously.

This is my current build. I'm trying to decide between Seven-Sided Strike and Mystic Ally. On the one hand SSS does a ridiculous amount of AOE damage and has a higher Spirit cost (i.e., it heals me for more), but the Mystic Ally is a consistent source of DPS. Not really sure which is better.

Now that everyone's played it, what's GAF's consensus? Should I get it even though GTA V is so close by

I absolutely love the game, BUT I have no interest in GTA V so I don't have that conflict. I find it hard to see how you would be able to play both these games at the same time, since they're both massive time sinks.

V_Arnold

Is hardcore inferno solo-able?

I either continuing with my HC Monk or re-roll.

Does rez-ing at your corpse work for bosses?

All inferno is soloable.

Rezzing at your corpse does not work on event bosses.

Also, Monk is good. When you hit 60, make sure you have the lifesaver talent (the last one) that gives you a second chance at life.

Drame

Oh boy rolled magnificent dagger!

Lvl 53
Socket
+21 damage
+473-603 fire damage
+5% damage
+83% crit hit dmg

And a 2k bleed proc in a 952dps package. Gosh!

Returners

All inferno is soloable.

Rezzing at your corpse does not work on event bosses.

Also, Monk is good. When you hit 60, make sure you have the lifesaver talent (the last one) that gives you a second chance at life.

Right that's all I needed to know.

You can't rez on event bosses = pretty much 1 fight anyways.

How's loot drops on harder difficulties?

I think Blizzard finally figured out how to do loot drops right. I'm finding stuff that I can use without wishing that there was an AH.

Sanctuary

When changing or selecting a quest, you can change difficulty to Master levels, right underneath where normal medium and hard are. Normal through hard give no bonus xp or magic find, but master levels do. Master unlocks at level 10 I believe, then I think it's available for all characters. Although I'm not sure if master level is worth doing while leveling, most likely will die pretty often, and I haven't checked the exact % increases.

Switching it to even Master 1 is strange, and a giant spike from Hard. At times, I'd get upgrades where playing on Medium and Hard was much too easy, so I'd raise it to Master to see how I did. Actually, trash enemies would fall like butter to a hot knife, but then here comes the super fast, extra strong, teleporter rares to instantly wreck me. It didn't make much sense. Almost all of the champs and rares were way beyond how they were compared to their trash brethren on the lower difficulties. Similarly for some bosses.
Rakanoth
for example would constantly one-shot me, and there was nothing I could do about it. Yet he was practically a kitten on Hard.

I'll probably also be tarred and feathered for saying this, but I feel like the game has actually been consoled too much for its own good now. It's nice that they fixed the stats on the gear, and it's nice that they increased the drop rate of legendaries, but seriously; 42 legendaries just entering Inferno at level 59? Way too many, and it feels almost like they are so frequent now that there's nothing special about them anymore. I know some people on here complain about not seeing any, and I don't know if I just had freakish luck or what (had five drop in under an hour last night, and and ended up with an 1100 DPS 1h before Act 4 Hell), but they've been raining like there's no tomorrow for me and it cheapens seeing that legendary light pillar and star now. Maybe I am just lucky. I started Act 2 Hell with someone who was only sitting at 8k DPS and by the time we finished Act 4, he was at 67k.

Now I don't know the values off the top of my head, you can go check out the MP tables for the PC version it should be around the same.

It's nothing for Easy, Medium and Hard as previously stated XP/MF wise (although monster stats bump slightly). At Master 1 you get +60% MF and it only increases by 10% per Master rank up to +100% at 5. The biggest gain is at Master 1. It honestly feels like Blizzard forgot something with the way Medium and Hard do absolutely nothing for XP gains.

Ryhian

As a lowbie barb I'm curious how I should choose which weapons I want to use. Should I focus on pure dps, decent dps but lots of str on the weapon, or are stats more important than dps (meaning 20 str but 6 dps less than another weapon)?

paolo11

How can you guys get 1k damage on legendary sword while I just have a legendary 64 damage sword? Doing normal btw

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How can you guys get 1k damage on legendary sword while I just have a legendary 64 damage sword? Doing normal btw
You answered your own question. You're on normal. 1k weapons are on Hell.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ahhhh, I see. Do I need to change the MP level in hell to get that type of legendary or a normal mode in Inferno will suffice?
Normal mode is good enough, I got a 1300 weapon on Hell on normal.

Bread

Banned
Hit level 22 on my Monk this morning. I'm really enjoying this game, and more importantly I'm really enjoying the Monk. It took me a while to warm up to the class but once you hit level 20 you really have such a wide range of spells to play around with that I never feel like I'm limited to one or two main skills in my fights. The gamechanger for me was the passive that heals you for every point of Spirit that you use, which means that spamming my abilities in combat heals me and gives me the survivability that I was previously lacking. I'm also running Deadly Reach with the Keen Eye rune, which increases my armor by 50% for 4 seconds on every third attack, so I'm able to survive fights much better than previously.

This is my current build. I'm trying to decide between Seven-Sided Strike and Mystic Ally. On the one hand SSS does a ridiculous amount of AOE damage and has a higher Spirit cost (i.e., it heals me for more), but the Mystic Ally is a consistent source of DPS. Not really sure which is better.

I absolutely love the game, BUT I have no interest in GTA V so I don't have that conflict. I find it hard to see how you would be able to play both these games at the same time, since they're both massive time sinks.
i love my monk, i've been using the primary with the teleport rune since i unlocked it. combat is so much fun when i can just look at a guy 15 feet away, press a, and be in his face punching him.

the mystic bell one is great too, that does crazy damage.

Got 3 legendaries on my playthrough tonight. Im melting everything right now and its great. Things got a LOT easier since i hit level 20 - i havent died once yet (end of Act II)

Disintegrate is so fantastic.

Sanctuary

Ahhhh, I see. Do I need to change the MP level in hell to get that type of legendary or a normal mode in Inferno will suffice?

You don't need to change the difficulty, although doing multiplayer might help. The majority of my drops happened while solo, but after my 600+ DPS 1h dropped solo, a 900+ 1h dropped when grouped with one other person, and then the 1100 DPS weapon dropped in a full game, but it was also in the next act. You get a boost to magic find (10% per person I think), although I'm not sure if it actually does anything at all to the quality of the modifiers that appear.

The comments here sound like what I should have been reading when the PC version launched.

Never played PC version, now I'm wondering whether to get PS3 version.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
i love my monk, i've been using the primary with the teleport rune since i unlocked it. combat is so much fun when i can just look at a guy 15 feet away, press a, and be in his face punching him.

the mystic bell one is great too, that does crazy damage.

The Mystic Bell is my Get Out of Jail Free Card. It does a mind-numbing amount of damage and due to its high Spirit cost heals me for quite a large amount as well.

I use the primary with the teleport rune when I'm fighting bosses, since it allows me to jump in and land a few hits/spells, then run back out and avoid damage. I generally find that hit-and-run tactics work best against bosses as a Monk. However when I'm fighting regular mobs I prefer the primaries that have AOE properties since I can clear out large groups of enemies faster.

As far as Seven-Sided Strike vs. Mystic Ally, I think I'm leaning towards SSS. Theoretically MA should do more sustained DPS since the follower is always available, but SSS is probably more of a clutch skill since it has insane AOE damage, makes you immune to damage for its duration, and with the healing passive it heals you for a nice chunk when you use it. The only downside is that it has a 30 second cooldown, which means you can only realistically use it once in a firefight.

I'm interested to know though - what Defensive skill are you Monk players using? I'm using the healing spell (Breath of Heaven) but it seems kind of redundant with my Transcendence passive.

V_Arnold

I'm interested to know though - what Defensive skill are you Monk players using? I'm using the healing spell (Breath of Heaven) but it seems kind of redundant with my Transcendence passive.

My build:
- Thunderclap for main damage
- Dashing Strike with reduced spirit cost (10)
- Breath of Heaven with the rune that gives me +10% damage for 30sec (very important)
- Exploding Palm with +15% damage dealt on main target rune
- +12% damage Mantra with Overawe (+24% and +48% for a few seconds)
- Spirit bell - reduced spirit cost rune

For Inferno Master 1, which is still a bit high for me (80k dps, 80k hp, 250~allres, aka. criminally low), I switch out the Dashing Strike for Blinding Flash (reduced cd rune) and The Bell with the 50% Stun variant Lashing Tail Kick.

But generally, you can have a near-invincibility rotation by including at least 3 of these:
-Blinding Light
-Serenity
-Seven Sided Strike
+1: Lashing Tail Kick (stun).

absolutely. this and GTAV are the only games I will be playing until next gen.

just beat normal, hard with same group since act 2 this morning. monk, barb, whizz and me the DH

9 legendaries so far- awesome job Blizzard, I am addicted.

V_Arnold

Anyone had hard freezes with the game, on 360?
I am playing it on installed, the two freezes both appeared only on Act 3, once in Nightmare, once in Hell, never elsewhere. First, the sound glitches out (one of the hit effect kinda "stays"), then full freeze, only power off helps, while the glitched end of a sound effect still remains in the buffer.... click, click, click, click, click....

And it cant realistically be overheating or something, it is a newer modell, and the temperature just got cold around here.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
But generally, you can have a near-invincibility rotation by including at least 3 of these:
-Blinding Light
-Serenity
-Seven Sided Strike
+1: Lashing Tail Kick (stun).

Serenity, really. That skill seemed kinda useless to me since it only lasts for 3 seconds. However I see now that there is a rune that causes it to heal you upon activation, which makes it a lot more interesting.

I have to say, I really love the rune system in Diablo 3 - it really adds a huge amount of depth and customization to the combat system.

V_Arnold

Serenity, really. That skill seemed kinda useless to me since it only lasts for 3 seconds. However I see now that there is a rune that causes it to heal you upon activation, which makes it a lot more interesting.

3 seconds can be a lot when you need it.... when 2-3 elites are on you, you are surrounded by two walls and arcane orbs, for example. And standing on a pile of goo.

Ideally, without outside damage and simply using your own skills, you should have enough lifesteal to heal you up, so I would advise to not take the healing rune, but rather go for the +1 second or the reap what you saw variant.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Did I read a loading screen that says you have to do something to reveal a legendary item?
Or do they just drop & i'll know?

When a legendary drops and you pick it up, you'll have to "identify" it to reveal its stats. It's really dumb, I don't know why they do that. You'll see it fine on the ground when it drops.

3 seconds can be a lot when you need it.... when 2-3 elites are on you, you are surrounded by two walls and arcane orbs, for example. And standing on a pile of goo.

Ideally, without outside damage and simply using your own skills, you should have enough lifesteal to heal you up, so I would advise to not take the healing rune, but rather go for the +1 second or the reap what you saw variant.

Hmm good point. I'm still level 22 so I haven't unlocked the vast majority of runes out there, but I'll keep this in mind.

Raide

Diablo is one of those games where you finish on Normal and instantly start the game again on Hard. Just the first few encounters show you up a bit and feed that thirst for fresh loot.

DireStr8s

When a legendary drops and you pick it up, you'll have to "identify" it to reveal its stats. It's really dumb, I don't know why they do that. You'll see it fine on the ground when it drops.

Hmm good point. I'm still level 22 so I haven't unlocked the vast majority of runes out there, but I'll keep this in mind.

Ok, thanks. I was having a little anxiety about all the items I've sold.

the red worm

Neo Member
Almost done with normal and at level 31 on my WD, I rarely get people joining my game but when I join others within 5 minutes they quit. Are most of you playing solo or what? I'm on x360 btw. I'm in love with my WD can't wait to try higher difficulty.

What's a good build or strategy for Barb? Should I Spam War Cry, Spear, Whirlwind?

I'm a fan of Stomp to bring them in close, Rend to make them bleed, then War Cry right before they exit their dizzied state. All that's left is to attack, but you shouldn't have to do much of that, as they'll probably have exploded by then.

bill0527

The game is absolutely fantastic. Shits all over the PC version as sorry as I am to say that. I've got a 60 Barb and several other mid 30s characters on the PC version, and I know I'll never touch them again.

Game really needs a ladder system. Need some more dick waving community metrics we can show off.

Other than that the game is perfect and I have no idea why I am bothering to reply in this thread, when its wasting time I could be playing the game.

Its digital crack.

Dahbomb

Serenity is one of the most powerful defensive abilities in the game. It also comes with a rune that ups the time to 4 second. With the passive that decreases cooldown you can use Serenity a lot. It used to be a staple on Monks when Inferno was actually difficult and is still a staple for Hardcore. 4 seconds of invulnerability is nothing to scoff at particularly the fact that it can break out of freeze, jailer and various other CCs.

With the way the game is played now, Serenity is not needed except for maybe Ubers at high MPs. That is because when farming softcore you need skills that demolish mobs fast. This includes stuff like Sweeping Wind, Exploding Palm, Wave of Light (Bell), Mantra of Conviction, Fist of Thunder and Blazing Fists with the Combo Strike passive. You can also use the Breath of Heaven damage rune and the Blinding Light stun move that gives you a large damage bonus temporarily. Alternatively there's the Tempest build Monk too and people who use Exploding Palm also use Cyclone. These skilks clear out mobs fast, Serenity does not help with killing mobs fast at all especially once you have life steal. Similarly people don't use the Near Death passive that gives you a second life for softcore yet its a staple for hardcore. In addition, I am going to say that on console people aren't going to use OWE passive for Monk either because it's harder to find gear with the res you want so that too will be replaced by a damage passive.

Loginius

Anyone had hard freezes with the game, on 360?
I am playing it on installed, the two freezes both appeared only on Act 3, once in Nightmare, once in Hell, never elsewhere. First, the sound glitches out (one of the hit effect kinda "stays"), then full freeze, only power off helps, while the glitched end of a sound effect still remains in the buffer.... click, click, click, click, click....

And it cant realistically be overheating or something, it is a newer modell, and the temperature just got cold around here.

Yes, freezed up 2 times for me already.
Also installed also a relatively new xbox slim.

Dahbomb

Also someone asked what they should be looking for in their 1 hander (for Barb but I will give advice for Monk as well).

For low level Diablo 3, you basically want any weapon that ups your DPS a lot. You can just compare and if you see a green arrow for DPS then take it. Don't worrk about losing health/armor from weapons, you should concentrate on getting maximum DPS from your weapons.

At higher level you want the following ideally on your 1Hs:

Main stat (ups your DPS)
Highest possible DPS (the big number at the top)
High attack speed (check speed and how many attacks it can perform a second like 1.1 is slow but 1.6 is fast)
Socket (ups the DPS potential of a weapon by a lot of you put in ruby or emerald)
Life steal (a must for surviving high level MPs)
Critical Hit damage (ups the DPS a lot)

Realistically speaking you will not have all these stats so you will want to have one 1H with crit damage and one with life steal. Having at least one 1H with LS is imperative.

Top Bottom