• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Me and a friend decided to up the difficulty to Master I....just because, despite this being our first play through it has definitely offered a nice challenge and requires an element of teamwork and well timed power usage. Just beat The Butcher who gave us crazy problems.

Anyway I had the network set to open for other like minded adventures come and join the struggle, next thing I know a level 38 Barbarian joins and proceeds to skip all dialogue and rush through the aftermath of The Butcher....I know I left myself open for shit like this but seriously people are arseholes. Do people not know they are guests in other peoples games?

To be fair when you join a random group you shouldn't expect most people to be interested in the plot at all. They're probably just joining your game to speed up the leveling process.

This is why I'm playing my first run solo so that I can soak in all the plot and lore. My subsequent runs will be full-retard online co-op affairs to get those levels quickly.

ShogunX

To be fair when you join a random group you shouldn't expect most people to be interested in the plot at all. They're probably just joining your game to speed up the leveling process.

This is why I'm playing my first run solo so that I can soak in all the plot and lore. My subsequent runs will be full-retard online co-op affairs to get those levels quickly.

Like I said I left myself open to it but whenever I join a Co-op game to help people out I always let the host lead the game. He chooses where to go, what to skip ect ect I'm just a guest not an impatient cunt.

I expect too much from the people on Xbox live at times. Should know better.

Me and a friend decided to up the difficulty to Master I....just because, despite this being our first play through it has definitely offered a nice challenge and requires an element of teamwork and well timed power usage. Just beat The Butcher who gave us crazy problems.

Anyway I had the network set to open for other like minded adventures come and join the struggle, next thing I know a level 38 Barbarian joins and proceeds to skip all dialogue and rush through the aftermath of The Butcher....I know I left myself open for shit like this but seriously people are arseholes. Do people not know they are guests in other peoples games?

Come on now, if I see more than 2 seconds of a cutscene (PC) someone dun goofed

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Forgot to mention, while I was playing earlier I got my fourth legendary drop, a ridiculous one-handed axe that, combined with my legendary fist weapon, leads to some mind-blowing Monk DPS. I'm playing through Act III and I am literally melting faces so quickly I don't even need to use my skills. I'll drop a bell or a Seven-Sided Strike every now and then when I'm surrounded by enemies and it's taking me more than 3 seconds to kill them, but it's more of a luxury than a necessity really. I'm considering upping the difficulty, but I know that once I outlevel my gear my power will go back down to normal levels.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Im about to start the game, should i go solo on my first playtthrough or can i jump online from teh start, another thing, any class like diablo 2 necromancer?

Dahbomb

Im about to start the game, should i go solo on my first playtthrough or can i jump online from teh start, another thing, any class like diablo 2 necromancer?
I wouldn't jump online if you care about the story/plot/cutscenes. Everyone likes to skip stuff in Diablo. Witch Doctor is probably the closest to Necromancer.

ShogunX

Come on now, if I see more than 2 seconds of a cutscene (PC) someone dun goofed

Not on a first play through. Enjoy the game and savour the experience no need to rush through it. People treat this game like a competition ''The race to 60!!''. Chill.

Then again I've always treated my first play through of any game as the one to explore every nook and cranny, read every book, piece of lore ect ect.

Like I said I left myself open to it but whenever I join a Co-op game to help people out I always let the host lead the game. He chooses where to go, what to skip ect ect I'm just a guest not an impatient cunt.

Sounds like most of my experiences with randoms in any co-op games. For some reason everything turns into a sprint to the finish. The more players the worse the overall effect.

But that said... this is a game meant to be replayed, not only by your main character but with multiple alts, through multiple full playthroughs. And the plot really isn't much to write home about, so I'm sure you'll end up skipping it too, after your second or third go at it.

The plot gets worse the more you experience, but the combat is what keeps you coming back. It is for me anyway, and I'ma stop and smell the roses kind of player. The whole concept of farming is anathema for me.

Okay, finally picking this up tomorrow. Just wondering: Is there any Diablo II Paladin equivalent in the console version, or is that just for the PC expansion?

ShogunX

Sounds like most of my experiences with randoms in any co-op games. For some reason everything turns into a sprint to the finish. The more players the worse the overall effect.

But that said... this is a game meant to be replayed, not only by your main character but with multiple alts, through multiple full playthroughs. And the plot really isn't much to write home about, so I'm sure you'll end up skipping it too, after your second or third go at it.

The plot gets worse the more you experience, but the combat is what keeps you coming back. It is for me anyway, and I'ma stop and smell the roses kind of player. The whole concept of farming is anathema for me.

I totally get that the game is tailored to multiple playthroughs and I'm looking forward to trying my hand at Hell and Inferno modes. Most of the story and dialogue so far hasn't exactly been oscar worthy but I would like the opportunity to read it, I like to get everything out of the way first and then just smash a game until I'm bored. Did the same thing with Borderlands 2 first time around listen to the annoying sound of Claptrap and the sixth time through was all about loot and shooting and boss runs.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Bloodbathnbyond

Lol, nice.

I totally get that the game is tailored to multiple playthroughs and I'm looking forward to trying my hand at Hell and Inferno modes. Most of the story and dialogue so far hasn't exactly been oscar worthy but I would like the opportunity to read it, I like to get everything out of the way first and then just smash a game until I'm bored. Did the same thing with Borderlands 2 first time around listen to the annoying sound of Claptrap and the sixth time through was all about loot and shooting and boss runs.

You and I are very much alike (right down to Borderlands 2). You're not playing on PS3 by any chance are you? If so add me: ilnadmy.

ShogunX

Lol, nice.

You and I are very much alike (right down to Borderlands 2). You're not playing on PS3 by any chance are you? If so add me: ilnadmy.

No playing on 360. Have a PS3 but my Co-op friends all play on Xbox. I will add you anyway for other games.

molnizzle

Not on a first play through. Enjoy the game and savour the experience no need to rush through it. People treat this game like a competition ''The race to 60!!''. Chill.

It's probably not the other guy's first play through though. Just because it's your first play through doesn't mean it's the entire party's. He could have played it to death on PC, or it could be his second, fourth, tenth character on console.

Anyway, that's just how Diablo is played. It's rude if you don't skip the cutscenes. It's kind of a known thing that if you want to watch cutscenes and explore, you play a private game.

Now you know.
3nei7ui.gif

complete noob question. I'm playing the witchdoctor and loving it. Currently lvl 14, and I still haven't figured out why I equip weapons at all since all I'm doing is the poison dart skill. Am i missing something? Is there a way that I can use a weapon when i'm up close?

Currently LOVING this game on Xbox 360

Dahbomb

Your skills scale off of your weapon DPS. It doesn't make much sense intuitively but your giant mace is actually powering up your Darts.

Into

complete noob question. I'm playing the witchdoctor and loving it. Currently lvl 14, and I still haven't figured out why I equip weapons at all since all I'm doing is the poison dart skill. Am i missing something? Is there a way that I can use a weapon when i'm up close?

Think of it like Wizards and Witch Doctors "drawing power" from their melee weapons, so you might run around with axes and maces, but your character does not actually use them melee style

Its like in WoW when casters run around with daggers, they do not use them like Rogues use them to actually stab someone.

It's probably not the other guy's play through though. Just because it's your first play through doesn't mean it's the entire parties. He could have played it to death on PC, or it could be his second, fourth, tenth character on console.

Anyway, that's just how Diablo is played. It's rude if you don't skip the cutscenes. It's kind of a known thing that if you want to watch cutscenes and explore, you play a private game.

Now you know.
3nei7ui.gif

I totally missed Cain's death in act 1, so now i go back and do the acts that i powered through in MP in solo games. The voice acting is too good. Also, because mp games tend to speed run through areas, there are so many little side stories and xp points that I'm noticing that I missed along the way. There was one in particular on the way to the butcher in the jailer dungeons I think. Some business about this deceived king beheading his wife because he thought she was a traitor. Great little story and I got some XP because i watched it through.

If Blizzard is going to continue putting this much quality into their console games, they can keep them coming.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member

Never played WD but most skills are based on a percentage of weapon damage. You may have to enable a certain setting (advanced tooltips maybe?) for it to actually give you the full technical details of your skills, but that would probably help it make more sense to you.

kinggroin

Banned

I would usually side with someone like you on something like this, but Diablo is a multi-replay game. It's almost common knowledge among the community that most folk are online for the gear, gold, or leveling. If cutscenes are important, play offline co-op and save the "cunt" label for the gamers that deserve it.

Curious though, how do you know who is party leader?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I totally missed Cain's death in act 1, so now i go back and do the acts that i powered through in MP in solo games. The voice acting is too good. Also, because mp games tend to speed run through areas, there are so many little side stories and xp points that I'm noticing that I missed along the way. There was one in particular on the way to the butcher in the jailer dungeons I think. Some business about this deceived king beheading his wife because he thought she was a traitor. Great little story and I got some XP because i watched it through.

If Blizzard is going to continue putting this much quality into their console games, they can keep them coming.

If you're enjoying the story in this you should definitely go back and play through WarCraft III's campaign (pretty much any computer/laptop should be able to run it today). That was Blizzard at their storytelling heyday.

Your skills scale off of your weapon DPS. It doesn't make much sense intuitively but your giant mace is actually powering up your Darts.

Think of it like Wizards and Witch Doctors "drawing power" from their melee weapons, so you might run around with axes and maces, but your character does not actually use them melee style

Its like in WoW when casters run around with daggers, they do not use them like Rogues use them to actually stab someone.

thanks for clearing that up! it was driving me crazy! I thought there was something I was missing. It took me several hours into the game before i realized that i couldn't actually 'block', and that my right analog roll, while helpful, is effective mostly via stat based 'tricknology'.

Into

Also seems very easy to get a Platinum in this game, after beating it on Inferno, i was around 70ish % trophies, i was never hunting trophies down or anything, just played the game, i am now at 84%, missing these:

Demon Slayer (Hardcore) - Reach lvl 30 in hardcore
Prepared for Battle - Equip all inv slots with items with min. lvl 60 or higher
The Art of Conversation - Complete all main character, follower and artisan conversation challenges
All That Glitters - Pick up 5 million gold
Greed over Need - Kill 100 Treasure goblins

All that Glitters and Greed Over Need will come naturally in time, as will Prepared for Battle, but my god is The Art of Conversation annoying as hell. I am missing tons of Sven talking, and its just annoying.

Though i am surprised the trophy for hardcore is only at lvl 30, that is just beating the game on normal, though there is more to find if you look at the in game achievements rather than PS trophies.

If you're enjoying the story in this you should definitely go back and play through WarCraft III's campaign (pretty much any computer/laptop should be able to run it today). That was Blizzard at their storytelling heyday.

One of the few times I'm motivated enough to follow through and try that out. I'm a console guy, so the world of Blizzard is totally new to me. Missed out on Diablo 2 and tried WoW through level 20 and refused to fall into that addiction. I remember when the Diablo 3 came out and the PC guys were so grumpy about the art shift.

This game is GORGEOUS. Every new level, new monster, new skill or swarm of mobs on the screen is just eye candy. The art design and production values are fantastic. Perhaps because I have no frame of reference, but as a console guy that ADORED Baldur's Gate: DA, DA2, Record of Lodoss War, and Champions of Norrath, this game is very much what it feels like those games were trying to get to.

good stuff.

having fun playing WD on PS3, never played D3 before but I played 1 and 2.

at level 8 very effective, although they lack punch. I just toss the AE snare and corpse spiders while the dogs do the rest.

lot of fun with my SO’s barb though.

Sanctuary

Well shit I don't know where they went then! Oh god what if I dropped them somewhere.

Check the anvil in your inventory. If you don't see it there, check the Smith, because you might have already learned them (you learn them by clicking the book). Check your stash (anvil again). If it's in none of those places, dunno.

Jedi2016

Think of it like Wizards and Witch Doctors "drawing power" from their melee weapons, so you might run around with axes and maces, but your character does not actually use them melee style.
Still haven't gotten around to fixing the monk, that runs around carrying whatever weapon(s) you have equipped, and then they magically blink back to his belt so you can hit things with your fists, then suddenly blink back into his hands again when he's through. That's part of the reason I'm partial to fist weapons. They actually disappear when you attack, too, but at least it's not as obvious.

Do the ranged classes do that, too? Does the WD actually carry around that giant mace until he decides to use his blow gun?

The Barb is like the only class that actually uses the weapons directly. Except for DW weapons (crossbows and the like), they should stay stowed on all characters, at all times.

BigDug13

having fun playing WD on PS3, never played D3 before but I played 1 and 2.

at level 8 very effective, although they lack punch. I just toss the AE snare and corpse spiders while the dogs do the rest.

lot of fun with my SO’s barb though.

Try out the bats. It's like breathing fire into enemy faces. You have to stand there and channel but enemies melt through Normal.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Still haven't gotten around to fixing the monk, that runs around carrying whatever weapon(s) you have equipped, and then they magically blink back to his belt so you can hit things with your fists, then suddenly blink back into his hands again when he's through. That's part of the reason I'm partial to fist weapons. They actually disappear when you attack, too, but at least it's not as obvious.

Do the ranged classes do that, too? Does the WD actually carry around that giant mace until he decides to use his blow gun?

The Barb is like the only class that actually uses the weapons directly. Except for DW weapons (crossbows and the like), they should stay stowed on all characters, at all times.

Yeah I found that funny on my Monk but I actually enjoy seeing my Monk running around with her two awesome weapons, so I don't really mind it.

bunbun777

Love this game, the loot prostitute in me is very much satisfied, and I have only just gotten to the end on Normal so far what with work and stuff. Reminds me of a twin stick shooter sort of, satisfying kills and a good fast pace.

Carcetti

I'm tempted to try this even after pc version but... does Witch Doctor still get to be a useless blowpipe turret on high levels?

Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice...

V_Arnold

I'm tempted to try this even after pc version but... does Witch Doctor still get to be a useless blowpipe turret on high levels?

Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice...

WD is godlike with proper gear. Therefore, on consoles, they shall be amazing.

Arjen

Finished my first run on Normal yesterday, my Barbarian was level 32 at the end.
Dove right into Nightmare, and i was under the impression that would be harder? I'm really blazing through it like crzay. Still having a lot of fun though, finding new equipment is so addictive.

Domstercool

Finished my first run on Normal yesterday, my Barbarian was level 32 at the end.
Dove right into Nightmare, and i was under the impression that would be harder? I'm really blazing through it like crzay. Still having a lot of fun though, finding new equipment is so addictive.

Well Nightmare is made for people starting from level 25, so you're a little bit above the recommendation. Can always bump up the Monster Power. ;)

Top Bottom