• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

It's like this comment is straight from 2011. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the art style and while you have the right to, whining over this serves no purpose whatsoever since the game has been out for more than a year .
But the comment is from 2013 - which makes it totally legitimate since this a) the thread for the console version and b) it was released last week. So please stop being a smartass.
And yes, I knew about the new art style before I bought the game but never did I think it's as bad as it really is - and this is what I'm trying to express here if I may.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The one thing I like about the console versions having no AH (and I haven't played the PC version so this is just an assumption on my part) is that people are free to use whatever builds they want since the great weapons/armor aren't so easily available via the AH. I imagine on the PC everyone is running around with the exact same builds, which are perceived to be the "best" or "most efficient" builds, since the items are just a few clicks away.

Nothing ruins my fun more than min-maxing metagames. Just let me play whatever random ass build I wanna play and I'm a happy camper. That's why I get so frustrated with Dota 2/LoL - if you don't farm the "ideal" way and don't build your character the "ideal" way you are going to suck. Hopefully that's not the case here, since I seem to be doing OK with my randomly cobbled together build.

TheIconizer

Neo Member
I am somewhat ambivalent on the way they changed MF running. I loved clearing to Mephisto or Diablo (you know, the legitimate way), but it did get really tiresome after the 1000th run of doing pretty much the exact same thing against the exact same boss. I miss the whole crossing your fingers in hopes that something off of the boss' loot table would drop, but I kind of like the whole easter egg hunt way with the randomized elites that they've done it in this game.

I'm not sure if they changed it on PC as well, but the waller ability seems really dumb now. Maybe it's just the zommed-in-way-too-much-on-console perspective, but it seems like the waller types just got incredibly dumb with their AI. Not dumb in a broken way, dumb in a nonsensical way. They keep putting up walls that prevents them from attacking me as well as me attacking them. It's more annoying than difficult. The only time I've had that be an issue is when I ended up fighting an Arcane, Waller, Molten and they walled me inside of a box with two lasers dropped beside me with magma underneath.

There's very few instances where you actually need to lock onto a target. It's almost always in regards to the leader of an elite pack too. I don't really understand how the setup is ruining your hand either since all of your abilities are on the right, and lockon is on the left. You control your character with your thumb. I guess if you hold the controller with a vice grip, or have arthritis it could be an issue. I'm sympathetic when it comes to crummy control schemes that make you do finger acrobatics or cause too much strain, but I'm not finding this game to be one of those cases. My right hand hurts way more from playing on the PC with a mouse.

The thing is I had more frequent Legendary drops on Nightmare - Medium than I have now on Hell - Master 1. The thing is though I have less frequent drops, but much better drops.

IvorB

Fun story.

You know where I said that I wanted to try something else instead of a ranged class? I tried for an hour, but immediately made a new Wizard after that and I am enjoying the hell out of this one. I enjoy it even more than the DH because they have a myriad of skills that actually work, especially the Ice Armor that unlocks at Level 15.

I just defeated The Butcher so I am going towards Act 2 for the very first time tonight. Looking forward to that.

Ha ha!! Welcome to the party. Can never go wrong with magic user class. Not sure why anyone would want to get up close to demons and sh*t.

Fularu

Banned
Ha ha!! Different strokes for different folks I guess.
:p

More seriously I always play melee, the funny thing is, in BG:DA i picked up the ranger and played him as a melee character, which was loads of fun and not really intended by the devs :p

Dahbomb

OK, I made it to Inferno (been playing all weekend!).

So what is the end goal? Once I beat Inferno, what happens next? Is the goal to beat Inferno on the maximum difficulty?
The end goal is Paragon 100 and having the best gear possible.

That's why I get so frustrated with Dota 2/LoL - if you don't farm the "ideal" way and don't build your character the "ideal" way you are going to suck. Hopefully that's not the case here, since I seem to be doing OK with my randomly cobbled together build.
You can play whatever the hell you want in Diablo 3 but in DOTA 2/LoL it's a different story because you are playing a competitive game with teammates. If you go for some dipshit build then feed... your teammates will get angry and rightfully so.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You can play whatever the hell you want in Diablo 3 but in DOTA 2/LoL it's a different story because you are playing a competitive game with teammates. If you go for some dipshit build then feed... your teammates will get angry and rightfully so.

Yeah I know, which is why they frustrate me. The games are fun, don't get me wrong, but I don't like feeling like I have to play a certain way in order to do well. I relish the days of closed beta LoL, when no one really knew what they were doing and you could run around with any dipshit build and still do OK.

Dahbomb

Yeah I know, which is why they frustrate me. The games are fun, don't get me wrong, but I don't like feeling like I have to play a certain way in order to do well. I relish the days of closed beta LoL, when no one really knew what they were doing and you could run around with any dipshit build and still do OK.
You don't HAVE to play a certain way and playing one build all the time is not optimum either. The thing is that you can only try out weird builds when you have a strong grasp on the game and its mechanics. If you are starting out and you build Desolator on Ursa then you basically cost your team the game because you didn't know what you were doing. For these games you should probably try out your weird build against bots, see how they work and then try in a live game. I have some weird builds too and they work fine in certain situations (like my Scepter + Refresher build on Razor).

This game has become incredibly easy since I hit level 20.i haven't used a health orb since. Should I keep going until it's over as I'm in act 3 now? Or should I mess around with the difficulty during the middle of my first playthrough?

This game has become incredibly easy since I hit level 20.i haven't used a health orb since. Should I keep going until it's over as I'm in act 3 now? Or should I mess around with the difficulty during the middle of my first playthrough?

You should definitely mess around with the difficulty. I switch mine to Master one when I was around level 25 and it was perfect. It's challenging but not to the point where the monsters can kill you in like 2-3 hits. Also I've been complaining a lot about not getting legendary items earlier in this thread, but now that I've change the difficulty. I've been getting tons of amazing legendary items. Feels good man :)

Sanctuary

There are two kind of walls that mobs create, short walls or U-walls that trap you.
I think its the same (or at least almost) as in the pc version.

I seriously don't remember them constantly tossing up walls in front of me. It's just nonsensical and serves no purpose other than to put the random in random. On the PC I distinctly remember them always trying to put up a wall behind me to prevent an escape. I guess if it's a matter of the way I'm facing, then technically those walls would be in front of me as well if I'm trying to run away, but it really just seems ridiculously bad on the console.

Also, what's up with the droprate for the Key of Terror? I've killed Xah'Rith over thirty times now and nothing. It didn't take more than six attempts to get the other two keys.

You should definitely mess around with the difficulty. I switch mine to Master one when I was around level 25 and it was perfect. It's challenging but not to the point where the monsters can kill you in like 2-3 hits. Also I've been complaining a lot about not getting legendary items earlier in this thread, but now that I've change the difficulty. I've been getting tons of amazing legendary items. Feels good man :)

It's still completely random, and changing the difficulty with the hopes of seeing legendaries isn't really worth it if you can't kill as fast. I ran around with 60% MF from around level 15 to 60 and I have over 40 legendaries drop by playing mostly on Easy and Medium since Master was way too slow for leveling. That's also what the majority of public players seem to play on as well. Now, I'm playing in Inferno and bouncing between Master 1&2 and the droprate seems almost identical, even with close to 300% MF.

Ok how do I change it? Do I go to the quest section and choose difficulty there? Also, should I wait till start of chapter 4 to change it so I don't lose a save spot? Game isn't clear on this so any instructions you can give will be appreciated.

Dahbomb

Also, what's up with the droprate for the Key of Terror? I've killed Xah'Rith over thirty times now and nothing. It didn't take more than six attempts to get the other two keys.
What's your difficulty level? And you need full stacks to get the key.

Walls are random on PC version too. It's not uncommon for them to throw out walls that trap themselves and actually benefit you. Random game is random.

Ok how do I change it? Do I go to the quest section and choose difficulty there? Also, should I wait till start of chapter 4 to change it so I don't lose a save spot? Game isn't clear on this so any instructions you can give will be appreciated.

Just go to quest select and select the latest quest you are doing. The option for difficulty change should pop up. If you're in the middle of a quest it gets restarted, but the act remains the same.

So you guys feel it's best to change difficulty after maybe act 3? Cause I feel shit is a little too easy right now
Its just when I feel things are too easy that some elite goatmen spawn and spear me to oblivion in about five seconds flat. Makes me love the random nature of this game that sometimes (though rarely so far) the best policy has been to run my ass off in the opposite direction.

Enjoy it while you're laying waste ;P

So you guys feel it's best to change difficulty after maybe act 3? Cause I feel shit is a little too easy right now

I'd say change it. It's a lot more fun, plus you get more exp and drop rate increases if you change it to master 1.

Changing the difficulty has also help me come up with new skill builds to tackle the challenges I had with some parts.

Sanctuary

What's your difficulty level? And you need full stacks to get the key.

For that key specifically? Because the wiki doesn't mention anything about NV since MF doesn't do anything for the keys chances at dropping, and I didn't need three stacks for the other two keys.

Just go to quest select and select the latest quest you are doing. The option for difficulty change should pop up. If you're in the middle of a quest it gets restarted, but the act remains the same.
Cheers man. Will look into it.

Finish the game, start on the next setting. Enjoy fresh challenges and phat loot!

It's just way too easy now. I'm destroying bosses in seconds on normal.

In the same boat as you.

Dahbomb

For that key specifically? Because the wiki doesn't mention anything about NV since MF doesn't do anything for the keys chances at dropping, and I didn't need three stacks for the other two keys.
You definitely need full stacks of NV to get the keys!

Difficulty level gives you 10% increased chance of getting the key per level. So Master I is 60% and Master V is 100% chance.

Sanctuary

You definitely need full stacks of NV to get the keys!

Difficulty level gives you 10% increased chance of getting the key per level. So Master I is 60% and Master V is 100% chance.

edit: Nevermind, the guide does actually show that you need NV stacks right above where it shows how MP affects the drop rate. I somehow missed that at first glance, and it doesn't show up again on the key specific pages.

Anyway, after getting three stacks and killing Xah'Rith, it dropped lol. Thanks for the heads up. I was also unaware that you have to farm the wardens all over again after each attempt at an organ.

DragonNC

Well....game just fucked up my character adventure on inferno (normal) at start of act 1.......dropping 1800dps bow.
After that everything was walk in the park.
Needed to rump up to master 1 dificulty so I can have at least some descent fun.

Damned.....will start a new character.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Dumb question-

I'm playing a witch doctor. Does the weapon you have armed transfer it's stats to the primary attack ability? In other words, if I'm holding a 30 damage sword, does that make the blow gun do 30 damage? Do attack rates on held weapons translate as well? Slower weapon makes the blow gun slower?

Sanctuary

Dumb question-

I'm playing a witch doctor. Does the weapon you have armed transfer it's stats to the primary attack ability? In other words, if I'm holding a 30 damage sword, does that make the blow gun do 30 damage? Do attack rates on held weapons translate as well? Slower weapon makes the blow gun slower?

Your listed DPS affects how much damage your skills do. Increased attacks speed also affects the speed of your skills and conversely, slower weapons make them slower, but most likely hit harder per shot if the DPS number is about the same as a faster weapon.

Jrmint

I don't salvage legendaries, but I do salvage rares and below. I figure I could probably use the legendaries for my other characters once I start leveling them up.
In inferno some of the crafting mats require the fiery brimstone which you can only get from salvaging legs. I believe the level 60 amulet pattern requires them, and the amulets you make from that pattern are incredible.

Has anyone had an issue where. When you click continue on the starting page to load your character. You get stuck on the loading screen? This is the second time it's happened. :S
Ps3 version.

MrDaravon

Do we know yet if the Paragon level cap is still 100 or not since it's shared across characters now? Also if you have Paragon levels and start a new character do you get the paragon level boosts immediately or no? I would have guessed no, but it shows my Monk as level 19 (4) so no idea.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I liked the challenge of hard difficulty on my first playthrough so far. However, the skeleton king is absolutely destroying my witch doctor. I might have to bump it to normal to beat him.

Weird, I hit Act III yesterday at level 23. I guess it depends on how much farming you do vs. just running through the quests to get to the end.

Been exploring a lot and playing with my wife so it's been a bit slow. Also I believe you get a ex bonus when you play with mutliple people.

Wait till you get the storm armour - its really really cool (i use it now over the ice armour)

But for me, Arcane Orb Hydra and Disintegrate with the wide beam are just deadly.

You were not kidding about that Storm Armor. I feel like Thor now and its AoE is definitely great against mobs. They are dropping like flies.

Loginius

I still dont understand how MF works in the console Version.
Since hitting lvl 60 I found 4 legendarys (two 1H 1Ring and 1Amulett).
Im Paragon 10 now.
Actually I have such awesome rares and gems now that I can do M5 (not very well but it works at least in Act1) but the legendarys just stopped dropping for me since act3hell.

Im probably just unlucky beyond believe.

Maybe I just start using my infernal machines and start crafting hellfire rings or something.
Doing farm runs kind of looses its appeal after so much bad luck.

Does anyone know what the % behind the paragon lvl stands for in the profile page? (main menu)

I still dont understand how MF works in the console Version.
Since hitting lvl 60 I found 4 legendarys (two 1H 1Ring and 1Amulett).
Im Paragon 10 now.
Actually I have such awesome rares and gems now that I can do M5 (not very well but it works at least in Act1) but the legendarys just stopped dropping for me since act3hell.

Im probably just unlucky beyond believe.

Maybe I just start using my infernal machines and start crafting hellfire rings or something.
Doing farm runs kind of looses its appeal after so much bad luck.

I was having the same luck until I mess around with the difficulty. Changed it to Master one and boom legionaries were dropping like crazy.

Dahbomb

Do we know yet if the Paragon level cap is still 100 or not since it's shared across characters now? Also if you have Paragon levels and start a new character do you get the paragon level boosts immediately or no? I would have guessed no, but it shows my Monk as level 19 (4) so no idea.
You don't get core stats in the console Paragon system. It's account wide and the MF/GF boosts are given automatically to your other characters (so your LVL19 Monk will have extra MF/GF right now).

No one knows yet if the cap is above 100 or not because no one has reached that far into the game yet. Highest I have seen someone is P40. I don't see the point of having Paragon levels extend beyond 100 when MF is capped.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You don't get core stats in the console Paragon system. It's account wide and the MF/GF boosts are given automatically to your other characters (so your LVL19 Monk will have extra MF/GF right now).

No one knows yet if the cap is above 100 or not because no one has reached that far into the game yet. Highest I have seen someone is P40. I don't see the point of having Paragon levels extend beyond 100 when MF is capped.

I'm watching a stream on Twitch right now where the guy is at Paragon level 100 and the Paragon XP bar doesn't seem to go up any further.

Lord Phol

Anyone else having lag spikes when playing online?
I got a pretty good connection and internet provider but I lag in pretty much every game I join. Even today when playing with someone else in Sweden.

It's only when I join others games ofc.

Got a glitch I think. My equipped armor/weapons are also showing in the inventory spots. And I also just picked up a legendary item and it's disappeared...wtf.

Top Bottom