• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

I really wish we could both look at out inventories at the same time, though. I end up having to kill time on twitter while she's fiddling with her stuff.

I have to agree with this. One thing I really wish we could do at the same time. It has gotten better now that we are both pretty familiar with the inventory layout and can quickly get in and get out, but it's still kind of annoying. The quick equip option for recently picked up items is nice, but when you can't see any of the magic properties or damage we almost always end up going into inventory to scope it out quickly.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Fantastic demo, it played as fluidly as I imagined. Don't like that bland font they use for everything though.

Too bad I have to wait for the PS4 version *grinds teeth*

Drame

Uh, you can do this? Create a new toon on the same PSN account and have him log in in splitscreen coop and powerlvl it? Mind blown. I have two PS3s, shame there is no way to put a character on follow, maybe train my 9month old daughter to use the dualshock! (A+ parenting skills)
Totally, though you don't even have to worry about controlling the second character, as he or she will automatically follow your main toon.

It really is wicked fast to level alts this way. One little thing that is kind of annoying is that with this method, the toon being boosted, can't access the blacksmith, jeweler or the stash. So you can't dustify your thingies or put some wonky legendaries into the stash.

paolo11

Guys, Immortal King Helm or Mempo of twilight?

Or for a WW barb, should I got for a Skorn or Dual wield echoing fury plus one strong 1 handed weapon?

Or for a WW barb, should I got for a Skorn or Dual wield echoing fury plus one strong 1 handed weapon?

Crit Mempo is the best helm in the game period.

Skorn if better than 2 weapons. Or dual if bonus stacks end up being better than skorn :D

KaYotiX

Banned
I think expansion will be available on XBOX1/PS4/PS3 & xbox 360
I'm sure it will, about 6 months or longer after the PC version.

I've been playing alot of D3 on PC again to get rdy for it. I'm expecting a release date at blizzcon. I really want the loot 2.0 patch already.

Sanctuary

you gonna post this in every thread? SMGDH

What are some good skills for a Witch Doc build? never played before in all my hundreds of hours on PC.

These three seem to pretty much be a staple of most builds. They were when I played and stopped last year, and they seem to be just as popular now:
Soul Harvest
Big Bad Voodoo
Spirit Walk

In terms of attack skills, Firebats is one of the better ones, although I guess the pets have been buffed since release (they were awful in the later difficulties), so you might try the dogs and the Gargantuan.

Here's some of the more popular builds: http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/witch-doctor#builds

Jrmint

Dude do you realize you can equip gear and see what it does to your stats? Why do you ask this stuff?

paolo11

Dude do you realize you can equip gear and see what it does to your stats? Why do you ask this stuff?

I don't have these items yet and I'm trading my Innas Daibo to a person that has both of those items.

It's not wrong to ask, is it?

Jrmint

I don't have these items yet and I'm trading my Innas Daibo to a person that has both of those items.

I just mean the game is set up to show you if it upgrades your items without having to ask.

The best one handers are Echoing Fury and Bonesaber. Anything else just check your stats when you equip them.

Keep in mind with Barb your stats will be different based on whether you're using Sword/Dagger or Axe/Mace in your main hand. Never use Mighty Weapon in main hand. This is if you're using weapon master passive, which you should be.

Sanctuary

I just mean the game is set up to show you if it upgrades your items without having to ask.

The best one handers are Echoing Fury and Bonesaber. Anything else just check your stats when you equip them.

Keep in mind with Barb your stats will be different based on whether you're using Sword/Dagger or Axe/Mace in your main hand. Never use Mighty Weapon in main hand. This is if you're using weapon master passive, which you should be.

I guess he's trying to ask if the trade is worth it since most people don't allow you to try before trading? And the console version of the game isn't like the PC version where it actually shows your increase in DPS, it just shows green or red arrows.

paolo11

Thanks. I'm going for the EF then. I just need to find this Bonesaber.

Dahbomb

What is he asking for the Inna Daibo? And what are stats on the weapon he is giving?

If he's a Monk you have to be careful about trading with him because his gear is going to come with Dexterity rolls. Make sure you check the stats before trading.

Right now Echoing Fury, the Butcher's Sickle and Bonesaber are great 1Hs. Make sure they have Strength stat, at least one of crit hit damage or life steal and a socket For 2Hs, Skorn, Maximus and Warmonger... if they roll with socket/CD/lifesteal then they are great to have. The safest bet is Butcher's Sickle because it comes native with CD/Life steal, you just need to worry about getting Strength on it and a socket.

A Mempo Twilight with socket and crit chance is a god tier Helm. Immortal Helm is not bad at all but you want to focus on high DPS and Mempo gives you a ton of DPS.

Other potential 1Hs that could be pretty good on the console:

Pig Sticker
Kill
Odyn Son
Nutcracker
Neanderthal
Sunkeeper
Arreat's Law
Monster Hunter
Skycutter
Griswold's Masterpiece
Bul Kathos Warrior's Blood
Hallowed Reckoning
Harvest Moon
Blade of the Warlord

biaxident

Totally, though you don't even have to worry about controlling the second character, as he or she will automatically follow your main toon.

It really is wicked fast to level alts this way. One little thing that is kind of annoying is that with this method, the toon being boosted, can't access the blacksmith, jeweler or the stash. So you can't dustify your thingies or put some wonky legendaries into the stash.

So how does that work, you boost a toon to max level, then when you solo play it you don't have access to anything?

Well, after trying the equivalent of "first line of premium crack cocaine" that is the demo, now my brother is also addicted. He didn't want to stop until we defeated the Skeleton King on Hard, stubborn little guy...

We learned patterns, used potions, and after a few curses (because that "teleport to player and take 80% life bar in one hit" attack can suck a bag of dicks) we did it. High five. Now we want MORE! More loot, more enemies, more skills, more everything!

One question: how do the characters transfer from demo to full game?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Reaper of Souls PS3/4 is day 1 content for me. I never thought I'd say that, but shiiiit is this version good.

alright so how long am i going to have to wait to buy this digitally for my console i'm done with disks......

Also played the demo, and man it feels better than the PC version. I can't believe i'm saying that...but still....

These three seem to pretty much be a staple of most builds. They were when I played and stopped last year, and they seem to be just as popular now:
Soul Harvest
Big Bad Voodoo
Spirit Walk

In terms of attack skills, Firebats is one of the better ones, although I guess the pets have been buffed since release (they were awful in the later difficulties), so you might try the dogs and the Gargantuan.

Here's some of the more popular builds: http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/witch-doctor#builds

thank you kindly- I really dig the WD-

MrDaravon

Pig Sticker
Kill
Odyn Son
Nutcracker
Neanderthal
Sunkeeper
Arreat's Law
Monster Hunter
Skycutter
Griswold's Masterpiece
Hallowed Reckoning
Harvest Moon
Blade of the Warlord

I feel like at this point almost legendary could be at or around top-tier with how they seemingly scaled them. I actually just now found this Odyn Son on my 60 DH for reference (edit: this is actually a level 55 one, forgot I was on Hell farming for tomes of jewelcrafting):

1067 Damage
1 socket
615-725 Lightning Damage
+6% Damage
+101 Str
+149 Dex
+262 Vit
+8% IAS
23% chance to Chain Lightnine enemies when you hit them.

I don't even know what that last one does, almost any legendaries sub-60 are useless on PC. I've never honestly even heard of this weapon until I just picked it up, so it is kind of awesome experiencing new stuff on this version.

Sanctuary

You want to know what's probably not as fast, but still ridiculously fast (level 30 in under three hours)? Have your new character forge a Hellfire ring (so you get stats good for your class) and have them use a Marquise ruby in a socketed weapon. You get to keep access to your smith, jeweler and stash. And you actually kind of play the character too! Not to mention Paragon stats carry over, so if you were level 20+ Paragon, you get quite the boost to a new character. My current Barbarian in Normal has +90% XP gains too.

Nothing on Master V is even close to being a challenge through Normal. Nothing, and you literally one-shot all white enemies and elites and bosses take a couple of hits.

You want to get even dumber? Make another ring for a follower.

I don't even know what that last one does, almost any legendaries sub-60 are useless on PC. I've never honestly even heard of this weapon until I just picked it up, so it is kind of awesome experiencing new stuff on this version.

23% chance for your character to cast chain lightning (Wizard) off of each attack. Kind of makes me think of Lightning Strike from Diablo 2.

MrDaravon

You want to know what's probably not as fast, but still ridiculously fast (level 30 in under three hours)? Have your new character forge a Hellfire ring (so you get stats good for your class) and have them use a Marquise ruby in a socketed weapon. You get to keep access to your smith, jeweler and stash. And you actually kind of play the character too!

Nothing on Master V is even close to being a challenge through Normal. Nothing, and you literally one-shot all white enemies and elites and bosses take a couple of hits.

Also toss in a helm with a high level ruby, and for extra stupid give you and your follower leoric signets (along with the hellfires). The cherry on top is making a cain's fate set once you hit 22.

Sanctuary

Also toss in a helm with a high level ruby, and for extra stupid give you and your follower leoric signets (along with the hellfires). The cherry on top is making a cain's fate set once you hit 22.

Wait, Leoric's doesn't have a level req either? I might have actually salvaged the one I had. I'll have to recheck! I also don't have Cain's set, just the gloves. :(

MrDaravon

Wait, Leoric's doesn't have a level req either? I might have actually salvaged the one I had. I'll have to recheck! I also don't have Cain's set, just the gloves. :(

No it does, but (at least as far as I know) it scales like all other legendaries, so if you were lucky enough to get one on your first go-round pre-60 like it seems like a lot of people were you can use it once you get back up to that level. It seems like most people wound up getting one in their first run through Normal or Nightmare for whatever reason.

Sanctuary

What about easy

As Ikku said, there's no benefit to playing on Medium or Hard. The jump happens at Master 1. So for leveling with almost no frustration ever, just play on Easy. Easy is just as the setting implies, and that's for all classes. When your gear/level becomes good enough, bump it up to Master 1 (which usually won't be until your late 50's depending on your luck with drops).

paolo11

What is he asking for the Inna Daibo? And what are stats on the weapon he is giving?

If he's a Monk you have to be careful about trading with him because his gear is going to come with Dexterity rolls. Make sure you check the stats before trading.

Right now Echoing Fury, the Butcher's Sickle and Bonesaber are great 1Hs. Make sure they have Strength stat, at least one of crit hit damage or life steal and a socket For 2Hs, Skorn, Maximus and Warmonger... if they roll with socket/CD/lifesteal then they are great to have. The safest bet is Butcher's Sickle because it comes native with CD/Life steal, you just need to worry about getting Strength on it and a socket.

A Mempo Twilight with socket and crit chance is a god tier Helm. Immortal Helm is not bad at all but you want to focus on high DPS and Mempo gives you a ton of DPS.

Pig Sticker
Kill
Odyn Son
Nutcracker
Neanderthal
Sunkeeper
Arreat's Law
Monster Hunter
Skycutter
Griswold's Masterpiece
Hallowed Reckoning
Harvest Moon
Blade of the Warlord

It's a strength echo fury.

What's your opinion of the burning axe of Sankis ( 1 hand legend axe)?

Could someone explain the deal with the Normal/Medium/Hard/Master difficulty levels?
What are Nightmare, Inferno and Hell then? How do they affect the game? Any benefits to playing on Master?

ShogunX

Could someone explain the deal with the Normal/Medium/Hard/Master difficulty levels?
What are Nightmare, Inferno and Hell then? How do they affect the game? Any benefits to playing on Master?

In the OP -

o6l8ORv.png

Sanctuary

So Hard would make enemies tougher just like in other games but keep me normal?
So what would Inferno --- Hard be like? Very weak (debuffed) player and god-like buffed enemies?

Medium and Hard were implemented extremely poorly on the console since they do absolutely nothing for XP and just make enemies harder. And the difficulties don't adjust your character in any way (debuff), although due to the increased enemy damage output, you could see it similarly to that.

Also, the original post and that picture do not highlight the fact that once you reach Inferno, those adjustments to XP/MF are over double pre-Inferno. Master 1 for example in Inferno is +150% MF.

theytookourjobz

So Hard would make enemies tougher just like in other games but keep me normal?
So what would Inferno --- Hard be like? Very weak (debuffed) player and god-like buffed enemies?

Your damage is your damage. With increased difficulties the enemies do more damage, have more health, and elite packs can have more difficult affixes.

Svafnir

The game difficulties:

Normal
Nightmare
Hell
Inferno

These level up the monsters and your character. At level 60 you are in Inferno and the "end game." These are just level progression tiers.

The difficulty you can select (hard/master etc) just modify the difficulty of monsters and give you extra bonuses to your drops.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone is so fun can decide who to play!

Did I get some crazy rare item? Playing a wizard I got a shield with 53 protection and I'm only level 4!

First of all as a Wizard you probably shouldn't be using a shield.

Second, you can tell how rare your drop is by the color of the item. If it's grey or blue, then no it's not rare. If it's yellow, then yeah it's somewhat rare. If it's orange, then that's called a "legendary" item and it's "crazy rare," as you put it.

Second, you can tell how rare your drop is by the color of the item. If it's grey or blue, then no it's not rare. If it's yellow, then yeah it's somewhat rare. If it's orange, then that's called a "legendary" item and it's "crazy rare," as you put it.

To be fair, not sure sources drop in quantities for a few levels. I didn't get a Mojo on my Witch Doctor until the Skeleton King.

Okay, it's not that rare. Don't know if its a shield but its armour I'm wearing.

Drame

So how does that work, you boost a toon to max level, then when you solo play it you don't have access to anything?
You do have the access to stash and what not, but only when you are playing one character at the time. As you are logging 2 characters under the same account the game tells you that: when playing local multiplayer, the second player can't access the shared stash, but this is only in effect during the local co-op. When you are just playing alone or online, you have the access to stash etc.

May I add that all gold collected during the boosting will be added to the "main account" after the session is over.

You want to know what's probably not as fast, but still ridiculously fast (level 30 in under three hours)? Have your new character forge a Hellfire ring (so you get stats good for your class) and have them use a Marquise ruby in a socketed weapon. You get to keep access to your smith, jeweler and stash. And you actually kind of play the character too! Not to mention Paragon stats carry over, so if you were level 20+ Paragon, you get quite the boost to a new character. My current Barbarian in Normal has +90% XP gains too.

Oh yeah, Hellfire Rings are the nuts!

I have like 10 Infernal Machine's ready, but I'm not sure if I can solo the ubers with my 340k barb yet. Maybe I should just try, it should hurt much >_>. It should be like Master II for 100% organ drop? With Nephalem Valor I'm rocking 380% MF. Think I'll give it a go later on this weekend.

Sanctuary

I have like 10 Infernal Machine's ready, but I'm not sure if I can solo the ubers with my 340k barb yet. Maybe I should just try, it should hurt much >_>. It should be like Master II for 100% organ drop? With Nephalem Valor I'm rocking 380% MF. Think I'll give it a go later on this weekend.

I was dropping the difficulty to Master 2 when actually killing Ubers on my Wizard (now 389k damage), but I now do them on Master 3 solo. The thing I hate about Ubers as a Wizard though is that my main build can beat two of them (it absolutely wrecks the Skeleton King/Magdha fight), but I have to kite on the Siegebreaker fight due to how zoomed in and stupid the console perspective is for that fight.

Ghom and Rakanoth on the other hand is absolutely dumb for an Archon build, so I have to switch to CM/WW, which I only use for that fight. Your Barbarian should not have any problems on Master 2, but no it's not a 100% drop. It seems closer to 75% or so on Master 2 and 85% - 90% on Master 3. I know one thing though, I'm entirely sick of doing the Siegebreaker fight. I have six eyes in my chest and none of the others now. I didn't actually realize until today that you could actually just make three machines and have three guaranteed different portals up at once, instead of doing one randomly, exiting and then doing it again.

The cherry on top is making a cain's fate set once you hit 22.

Eh, I was wrong. I just checked and I do have the entire Cain's Fate set. The kicker is that I upconverted all of my lower level materials to Exquisite. Now I need to go farm trash in Hell some more. Arrggg. Or maybe I can get lucky with some relatively cheap vendor crap.

MrDaravon

Eh, I was wrong. I just checked and I do have the entire Cain's Fate set. The kicker is that I upconverted all of my lower level materials to Exquisite. Now I need to go farm trash in Hell some more. Arrggg. Or maybe I can get lucky with some relatively cheap vendor crap.

What I've been doing is knocking out bullshit in-game achievements for rare spawns/locations/etc while blazing through them on Hell difficulty on a high Master level. It's still not as productive as Inferno for exp or items, but at least while I'm farming for the fucking jewelcrafting tomes I'm making some sort of progress. Right now I'm farming for the wheel of fate outcomes and a couple of other random locations I'm missing in Act 2 using a permastrafe build on my DH on Hell (Master II) and just blazing through it.

So you could do something similar at least on normal (Master V easy), just work on some sort of in-game challenge so you at least feel that you're accomplishing something while picking up everything to salvage. The Cain's stuff is kinda expensive materials-wise, but if you're just salvaging everything possible I can't imagine it would take you THAT long.

Sanctuary

When I do Hell, it's always on Master V. Still boring, and I don't care about achievements, just the fastest route to getting the "busywork" finished. Problem is, I probably would have actually had all I needed, if I had bothered to actually pick up most of the junk that dropped. When I was fishing for tomes though, all I did was pick up yellow gear and left all of the blues.

Hell, going for a Marquise ruby feels like an end game project in itself. I've combined every single ruby I've ever picked up, and I'm still only able to craft the Tier 13 ruby.

Edit: Whoa, WTF? The vendors have unlimited stock of any item you try to buy. So I can just buy blue belts for 1200g for every wishful/horn I need. It's kind of like having a Sigon's set ready for a new character in Diablo 2.

MrDaravon

When I do Hell, it's always on Master V. Still boring, and I don't care about achievements, just the fastest route to getting the "busywork" finished. Problem is, I probably would have actually had all I needed, if I had bothered to actually pick up most of the junk that dropped. When I was fishing for tomes though, all I did was pick up yellow gear and left all of the blues.

Hell, going for a Marquise ruby feels like an end game project in itself. I've combined every single ruby I've ever picked up, and I'm still only able to craft the Tier 13 ruby.

I don't usually do Master V on Hell because while I can, with the DH specifically I don't have the gear I need to do that super efficiently, whereas if I do a lower level I can just rock permastrafe and essentially whirlwind my way through it super quick.

In either case you may want to consider going back to farm some tomes of jewelcrafting assuming that you've been picking up square jewels still in Inferno; I just spent literally 30 minutes farming Hell Master II and picked up enough tomes to make like 35 flawless square rubies and I'm currently working on a Marquise Ruby.

Edit: Interesting, I just got a Crossbow that had +1.5% Crit chance. It was a garbage bow otherwise, but have crit chance ON weapons is fucking ridiculous.

Top Bottom