• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Jedi2016

Samn you Blizzard. So I spent probably about 2 hours trying to get the rainbow stuff in act 2 for the staff of herding, only to finally find out its not needed in the console version. Haha.
What? The requirements are different? I'm gonna have to look that up now, I assumed it was the same as the PC version.. hehe.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Fuck this game , made me waste all my Saturday Morning, now I have to do some errands really quick... And get back to diablo 3

Wow I have a legendary ring which makes treasure goblins appear sometimes. Just then, it made him appear and I killed him for 2 more legendaries!

Kemal86

What? The requirements are different? I'm gonna have to look that up now, I assumed it was the same as the PC version.. hehe.

You don't need Leorics Shinbone from the fireplace or the Liquid Rainbow from the ghost cave.

Just need Black Mushroom, Writs Bell, Gibbering Gemstone, and the plans.

moho-foe

Neo Member
I hope so. The hope of greater enemy density and remote play capability has me wanting it badly.

I have two friends playing on the PS3 right now, I want to get the game really bad but I dont want to have to buy it twice. I also wish they would announce a release date for next gen as well. The game looks ridiculous!

molnizzle

Does anyone know if they are going to do the $10 upgrade for this game to the PS4/X1 like BF4?

Highly doubtful. The next-gen versions will probably include the expansion. I would assume $60.

Just buy it now for PS3, buying the game twice isn't as bad as it is with other games because of the value you get. I played over 200 hours on PC and still shelled out another $60 for the PS3 version. I ain't even mad. I'll probably shell out another $60 for the PS4 version as well. Fuck it! It's Diablo mang.

nbraun80

haha as did I, the mysterious cave is still there randomly so I figured the rainbow was as well. My buddy has the plans and all you need is the mushrooms, bell, and gemstone, no shin bone or rainbow.

ExiledMarkzmen

Neo Member
Just picked this up on psn with a friend last night. Made it to act 2 with my witch doctor. Wanted to know if you guys have any tips or info I should know before going on? Game is great btw.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Can someone explain paragon points for me? I reached 60 yesterday with my demon hunter and I have no clue what is going on after that. Thanks

You level up some more. To infinity. And beyond. The more you level, the more % chance of rare drops appearing goes up.

Moofers

I'm playing on PSN today.

Handle: Unoillnino

Look me up! I'm lvl 16 Demon Hunter as of this post. Just reached Act 2. Got a mic!

MrDaravon

Found a Cindercoat that was actually even better than my previous one, so ridiculous (manually entered on d3up):

yBNLAyv.jpg

Less Vit than my other one, but way more Dex. Still not a single goddamn Nat piece :(

DSmalls84

About half way through Act I Inferno right now and already have 93k damage! Really liking the itemization in the console version and it's awesome that any legendary can roll lvl 60 stats. Do you have to change the MP in the console version to get infernal machine key drops? Been playing on Easy so far.

RkOwnage

Is it just me or are people finding an abundance of Legendary weapons? Throughout my Hell playthrough and most of A1 Inferno I've found just weapons, no other upgrades. Maybe just my luck...yeah, probably.

MrDaravon

Just got a level 60 Unity, pretty typical PC roll except the Dex is on the higher end a bit:

18-51 damage
246 Dex
76 Phys Res
303 LoH
4.5% CC
3% bonus Elite damage

Not sure if I just got unlucky or not. On PC Unity's are pretty good, my p88 DH still mains one. My first thought is that they just didn't do anything with it here since it was already a level 60 item on PC, but I have other level PC level 60 jewelry that has new higher stats (I have a Litany of the Undaunted with 6.5% CC), so I'm hoping a better rolled one is out there.

Also I should mention that I very clearly got this from a jar of ashes, which is ridiculous and I think maybe outright impossible on PC?

Norns

I haven't played much yet (up to level 42 on a single character), but I've already seen more legs drop than I did in over 400 hours of the PC version... It's glorious.

Sanctuary

I was dual-wielding pretty much the entire game. Rarely did I find that having a shield provided better DPS.

Some shields, though, are great for boosting strength and DPS, and actually give you a high blocking rate.

It's all a balancing act, really. Trying various combinations of items to see what works best for you.

I'm a total newb at this whole thing, so take that for what it's worth.

I've found it to be the complete opposite, but it has more to do with already having legendary one-handed weapons from my previous character than anything else. I've had to use a shield the entire time, or else my DPS plummets by hundreds, if not thousands now (only level 37 though, so eventually that will change). I've even gone as far as ignoring the listed DPS figure and just going off of the main hand's damage, but things still die much slower than when using a shield for me.

Visuals aside, is this game actually tangibly better on consoles than on PC?

Oddly enough, I've found it to look superior on the console. But the console is hooked up to a Plasma, while the PC version is hooked up to a fast monitor bought specifically for fighting games. It's still 1080p and an IPS, but the game doesn't look as good on the monitor to me due to the inferior black levels. It's also a lot easier to notice the seemingly low resolution textures (or rather, textures with little in the way of detail) when sitting closer. So YMMV.

For your actual question, yes. It's a lot better in many ways, although that doesn't mean the PC version isn't superior in some areas such as inventory, mouse accuracy (game controls fine with a controller, and in some way is much more comfortable), and the perspective. The perspective makes it feel more like a typical console action game, but it hurts the actual gameplay in specific fights because the game feels like it's still running off of the default PC mode where you can see enemies at a much greater distance. It feels like the console has only two-thirds (at best) of the FOV of the PC version. Have fun getting blasted by off screen projectiles before you even see the enemy and the Siegebreaker/Kulle Uber fight is notoriously awful because of this.

Just downloaded the demo on PS3 and after playing with a wizard for 20 minutes, man...this feels GOOD.

I bought the game on PC when it came out, but got bored after playing halfway through the game. Using the controller makes all the difference in the world to me, nice feedback to it.

If I didn't have GTAV all paid for, I'd be buying this right away. Will definitely pick it up soon though...

Helscream

Banned
Any Gaffers on Hell difficulty right now? I am trying to amass some tomes of jewelcrafting. I figured I would offer some help while grinding for some tomes.

I am just really annoyed at how many squares drop in inferno, but you don't get any tomes of jewelcrafting to combine them with.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Hey Guys!!!

Just got the game today, have a few class related questions before I start because, let's face it, this is a pretty big decision ;)

Basically I'm torn between Wizard and Witch Doctor. I'd normally go Wizard right off the bat for many reasons, but the 2 friends I'll be playing online with the most have both already chosen this class and are pretty committed.

I LOVED the Necro in D2 but I hear the Witch Doctor plays differently. As I'll be leveling up solo for a while before going online, I'd like to hear some benefits to playing this class. I know he's not as summon heavy as the Necro, and focuses mostly on damage over time rather than heavy output like the wizard.

Any advice would be great. I asked a similar question earlier but now that the game is in my hands and I'm about to throw it on I'd like a little more info.

Cheers dudes!

Sanctuary

Hey Guys!!!

Just got the game today, have a few class related questions before I start because, let's face it, this is a pretty big decision ;)

Basically I'm torn between Wizard and Witch Doctor. I'd normally go Wizard right off the bat for many reasons, but the 2 friends I'll be playing online with the most have both already chosen this class and are pretty committed.

I LOVED the Necro in D2 but I hear the Witch Doctor plays differently. As I'll be leveling up solo for a while before going online, I'd like to hear some benefits to playing this class. I know he's not as summon heavy as the Necro, and focuses mostly on damage over time rather than heavy output like the wizard.

Any advice would be great. I asked a similar question earlier but now that the game is in my hands and I'm about to throw it on I'd like a little more info.

Cheers dudes!

Just try to imagine a much more limited Necromancer combined with a much more limited Druid and you have an idea what to expect from the Witch Doctor. The class is basically a neutered hybrid of the two. That's not to say it's a bad class or anything, but it just feels like they took two from Diablo 2 and mashed random elements from both together and you end up with a class that's not as summons heavy, nor has as much variety in the way of damage spells, and can't shapeshift.

One benefit of the class is simply that it plays very differently from the Wizard, and is technically the only other "caster" in the game right now. You can either go for a damage over time + frontal cone (or simply nuke from afar) build, a build that relies on dogs and the gargantuan (golem), or a combination of the two. Also has a pretty great escape option in the form of Spirit Walk. Wizard doesn't have pets for distractions or tanking and is a lot more self-reliant, but is also able to burn enemies down faster (without pets) because of it. I couldn't say who actually has the most survivability or who can solo/level the easiest between the two since the Witch Doctor had a lot of changes since I played it on PC, and I haven't gotten around to it yet on the console.

The biggest benefit though, if you are primarily going to be grouping is Big Bad Voodoo. If you've played World of Warcraft at all, then you know what Bloodlust is. That's basically what BBV does for a group. It actually used to matter a lot before they nerfed Inferno, so its boost on elites is not as large as what it once was (but it will still help you kill them in seconds). It is however, still really great for zergging bosses down.

Unity2012

I am glad so many people are enjoying the console versions too. I never had interest on playing D3 on the PC and now I am completely hooked on the X360
version.

The transition--for me at least, of this game from a 23" monitor, keyboard and mouse, to a 65" TV with a gamepad has been just great. It looks great, it plays smooth and the game is very enjoyable, alone or with 2-3 other people.

Never thought I would have so much fun with it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I played this game for the majority of the past 6 hours on Nightmare Master I in 4-player co-op. I found that legendaries drop like crazy but also the game is not really that difficult on Master I. I also found that this game is addictive as hell.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Just try to imagine a much more limited Necromancer combined with a much more limited Druid and you have an idea what to expect from the Witch Doctor. The class is basically a neutered hybrid of the two. That's not to say it's a bad class or anything, but it just feels like they took two from Diablo 2 and mashed random elements from both together and you end up with a class that's not as summons heavy, nor has as much variety in the way of damage spells, and can't shapeshift.

One benefit of the class is simply that it plays very differently from the Wizard, and is technically the only other "caster" in the game right now. You can either go for a damage over time + frontal cone (or simply nuke from afar) build, a build that relies on dogs and the gargantuan (golem), or a combination of the two. Also has a pretty great escape option in the form of Spirit Walk. Wizard doesn't have pets for distractions or tanking and is a lot more self-reliant, but is also able to burn enemies down faster (without pets) because of it. I couldn't say who actually has the most survivability or who can solo/level the easiest between the two since the Witch Doctor had a lot of changes since I played it on PC, and I haven't gotten around to it yet on the console.

The biggest benefit though, if you are primarily going to be grouping is Big Bad Voodoo. If you've played World of Warcraft at all, then you know what Bloodlust is. That's basically what BBV does for a group. It actually used to matter a lot before they nerfed Inferno, so its boost on elites is not as large as what it once was (but it will still help you kill them in seconds). It is however, still really great for zergging bosses down.

Awesome thanks man...looks like I'll probably be going wizard then. I wanted a Necro class not some nerfed half ass combination.

New002

To echo what Unity has already said I'm also glad to see people having a blast with the console version.

I was late to the D3 party because I didn't have a PC that could run the game until a few months after launch. By then all of my friends had abandoned it due to the insane difficulty spike in Inferno (we only play D in HC mode). I guess I was fortunate enough to join right before a patch that made that mode more bearable.

Life eventually got in the way and I stopped playing but by that point I had put in around 400+ hours in a pretty short amount of time. I loved D2 and had a blast playing D3. All these positive impressions of the console version have me wanting to jump back in but with this version instead of the PC version!

Must not get sucked back in...

How is playing with a 360 controller? I remember picking up Torchlight and being pissed when I found out that they limited the number of skills you could assign. That really killed playing the Alchemist for me. Aside from that it was fine but unfortunately that detail was enough to make me lose interest.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Whoa just to be sure...There are 3 copies of each PS exclusive items in my stash for some reason. Is this normal or did I accidentally dupe them?

Edit. Fuck I am slow. It creates a new set with every new character. Duh

MrDaravon

Holy fucking shit. 6.5% CC? LOL

TaRbzO8.jpg

And I just found a level 60 Promise of Glory with no Vit/Life/AR which tanks my eHP, but has goddamn 377 Dex and 6.5% CC, good god. I gain 9k dps but lose 71k ehp, but with my ehp already being so high my ehp is still sitting at a whopping 598k which is ridiculous. My console DH has literally now passed my PC DH (who is 74 levels higher with ~500 more hours of gameplay) in DPS and has more eHP. That's also considering my CC is still about 10% lower on my console DH, and I have literally NONE of the optimal DH gear pieces except for the Manticore, and this one isn't even fantastic. This is absurd, I love it.

VALKYRAY

Banned
Holy fucking shit. 6.5% CC? LOL

TaRbzO8.jpg

And I just found a level 60 Promise of Glory with no Vit/Life/AR which tanks my eHP, but has goddamn 377 Dex and 6.5% CC, good god. I gain 9k dps but lose 71k ehp, but with my ehp already being so high my ehp is still sitting at a whopping 598k which is ridiculous. My console DH has literally now passed my PC DH (who is 74 levels higher with ~500 more hours of gameplay) in DPS and has more eHP. That's also considering my CC is still about 10% lower on my console DH, and I have literally NONE of the optimal DH gear pieces except for the Manticore, and this one isn't even fantastic. This is absurd, I love it.

wow that leoric crown, almost shit on mempo all over

MrDaravon

They have no Vit or AR on them (which suuuucks), but I just crafted a quadfecta pair of gloves. Even with losing 95k ehp by dropping my existing ones I'm still over 500k ehp (which is my goal) and it took my dps up by 33k up to 262k. I told you guys some of the crafting was still good at 60!

bill0527

So I'm at 17.1k dps on my mid 50s monk, and I'm face rolling Hell on medium difficulty. One shotting all trash and face smashing most of the elites and bosses. Its way too easy. So I bumped it up to Master I and the trash mobs go down in 3-5 hits, but damn I hit a pack of 6 elites and a rare mob all at once and they got me pinned into a corner and pretty much had to give up and go back to medium difficulty. I didn't notice much difference in gold and loot drops between medium and Master I.

So I'm at 17.1k dps on my mid 50s monk, and I'm face rolling Hell on medium difficulty. One shotting all trash and face smashing most of the elites and bosses. Its way too easy. So I bumped it up to Master I and the trash mobs go down in 3-5 hits, but damn I hit a pack of 6 elites and a rare mob all at once and they got me pinned into a corner and pretty much had to give up and go back to medium difficulty. I didn't notice much difference in gold and loot drops between medium and Master I.

Don't waste your time on medium or hard, it gives you no bonuses to loot or exp at all over easy. Just play easy for faster exp from killing quicker until you're 60 and geared enough for inferno master 1.

Jedi2016

That was confusing me too, as well as why I was only getting 3 NV stacks maximum. A good list of the differences between PC and console can be found here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9882708462
Thx.

That one's kind of silly, though (the Staff). Because it's there strictly for fun, I think it's something that should have a longer grind to it. And really, it's not that big of a grind.. Once I actually sat down to get all the drops, I had them all in less than an hour.

MrDaravon

What kind of rolls are people getting on Leoric's Signet at 60? I finally just got one at 60, it's got great dex and CC (250 dex and 6.5% CC) with 27% bonus xp and gold/health pickup radius, but nothing else. I wound up sticking it on my follower since I'd take an enormous ehp loss on either of my current rings, just wondering if it's even possible for it to roll with Vit or AR or anything now.

Top Bottom