• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Sanctuary

Man nightmare on MP1 sure doesn't mess around. Its much more challenging and I have to play a lot smarter as well. Have died a few times in act 1 and forth first time in ages my wizard feels underpowered.

That's why I've been saying it's not worth it until you have decent gear and are closer to 60 with most of your skills unlocked. It's just going to be an uphill battle, and you aren't going to see more drops than with less MF because your killing speed is drastically reduced.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Personally its the Exploding Palm and Wave of Light that I love. That huge bell comes down and you kick it right at stuff. :D

I've been using the swirling sands of doom instead of the exploding palm but I'm thinking of switching back - the AOE damage the sands do isn't really all that much.

I've also been using the AOE rune for the bell, which is REDONKULOUS.

Bread

Banned
I've been using the swirling sands of doom instead of the exploding palm but I'm thinking of switching back - the AOE damage the sands do isn't really all that much.

I've also been using the AOE rune for the bell, which is REDONKULOUS.
i was using that but it was taking too much spirit, i just put the damage mantra in its place and wreak havoc with the bell.

Dahbomb

AOE sand? Is that Sweeping Wind?

Sweeping Wind is a staple skill of Monk. But you do need a good amount of crit chance to make it viable.

Sanctuary

Prowlers finally dropped, and I can't even use them now. Need to somehow replace 300 vit, 290 INT, 10% attack speed and 5.5% crit first.

WD is one of the most popular, if not the most popular HC class atm on PC. Spirit Vessel = One Extra Credit, it's even a bit cheesy using it, I use it on my PC HC WD though :lol

If it procs, and it sometimes does, I teleport my ass back to town asap to let it come off cooldown. When it procs it are usually those charging bull elite packs in Fields of Misery.... Dat spike dmg...

So does NDE not work in Hardcore?

Also, how outdated is this?

http://diablo.somepage.com/info/paragon-distribution#paragon

Sweeping Wind is a staple skill of Monk. But you do need a good amount of crit chance to make it viable.

what's your deeps at now bomb? also ur crit chance?

I started using cyclones yesterday but switched back. my crit is right at 30%. i need a bit more. my AS tho is a+++. I am also using a 10% crit shield since the weapon i have is 1714 dps and i haven't found anything close to dual wield it with lol.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Sweeping Wind is indeed what I'm referring to. It doesn't really seem to do much damage, but then again I'm only level 31 so I haven't gotten top tier gear yet. I actually crit quite often and the effect levels up whenever I do, but I still don't feel like it does too much damage to the enemies around me. It's usually the AOE bell that CLEANS UP when I'm surrounded by mobs.

Speaking of Mantras, I'm running the evasion mantra with the rune that increases my armor by 50% of my Dexterity. It's amazing, I hardly get hit, and when I do, I can still hold my own. I tried switching to the damage mantra and I had to constantly jump out of fights to heal.

maomaoIYP

I've had the game freeze on me twice since launch day. PS3 digital version, so mines not a BRD problem. Both times it's happened has been after I load up the game and right after the character select screen when it tries to load the first level. It gets stuck at the Diablo III splash screen with the little red loading diamonds they just keep loading and loading and those damn diamonds keep moving and staring me like its a damn cyclon or KIT from Knight Rider. I reboot the game and then it loads fine.

This just happened to me at the end of act 3 on hell. Lost 2 legendaries, one of which had a whopping +36% magic find. I was pissed.

Jrmint

Sweeping Wind is indeed what I'm referring to. It doesn't really seem to do much damage, but then again I'm only level 31 so I haven't gotten top tier gear yet. I actually crit quite often and the effect levels up whenever I do, but I still don't feel like it does too much damage to the enemies around me. It's usually the AOE bell that CLEANS UP when I'm surrounded by mobs.

Speaking of Mantras, I'm running the evasion mantra with the rune that increases my armor by 50% of my Dexterity. It's amazing, I hardly get hit, and when I do, I can still hold my own. I tried switching to the damage mantra and I had to constantly jump out of fights to heal.
Wait till you get Backlash with MoE. At 60 with high evasion that rune does sooo much damage to huge packs. If you have a decent amount of life steal also you'll never need to heal. It's really nice.

Dahbomb

what's your deeps at now bomb? also ur crit chance?

I started using cyclones yesterday but switched back. my crit is right at 30%. i need a bit more. my AS tho is a+++. I am also using a 10% crit shield since the weapon i have is 1714 dps and i haven't found anything close to dual wield it with lol.
On PC or on console?

On PC I was 150K DPS on my Monk P40. Not a lot but most of it was self found stuff. Crit chance around 40%.

On console I play on my friend's account with various characters. He played a Barb and he's almost better than my Monk already.

You need at least 30% crit chance to make Sweeping Wind good. The rune that summons Cyclones is amazing but the Bladestorm one is pretty good too if your crit chance is not that high. Basically when it's at 3 stacks it becomes insanely powerful and with the Thunderclap Fist of Thunder you can keep the 3 stacks up for a very long time so it's almost like a passive.

Hard Target MoE is damn good but later on in the game when you want to farm fast you want MoC Overawe. Also MoE Backlash is damn good especially in huge mobs with life steal. Once you get a weapon with life steal and high DPS, there is little reason to be using Hard Target unless I guess against Ubers.

On PC or on console?

On PC I was 150K DPS on my Monk P40. Not a lot but most of it was self found stuff. Crit chance around 40%.

On console I play on my friend's account with various characters. He played a Barb and he's almost better than my Monk already.

Yeah on console. my monk on console shits on my pc one. I don't rememeber my numbers for my pc monk though. A couple hundred hours worth of play time. Crazy how different the games are.

Sanctuary

Yeah on console. my monk on console shits on my pc one. I don't rememeber my numbers for my pc monk though. A couple hundred hours worth of play time. Crazy how different the games are.

It's a little more than crazy. I don't think my Wizard on PC even broke 100k before I stopped playing, and my console Wizard is already at 320k. In a few days, after the actual materials drop and I can craft the Tier 14 ruby, it will probably be 350k. And hell, I gave up playing the Monk on PC in Act 2 Hell.

Seriously.

I'm only level 26 on my first normal run with my monk. One legendary Katar in each hand, one of which blinds while the other summons a ghostly demon ally. I just devoured the basement levels of Bastion's Keep in one long blur of massacre after massacre after bloody, blindingly awesome massacre.

I'd pop Sweeping Winds and port straight into the thick of things with non-stop Thunderclaps. When surrounded its time for Cyclone strike to pull everybody in before dropping hordes at a time with the Lashing kick or a Wave of Light nuke. If that doesn't do the trick I'll blind the whole crowd and move in for more Thunderclaps to generate spirit. Mantra of Evasion keeps enemy attacks from finding their target, while Transcendence replenishes my health with every power move unleashed. Toss in full Nephilim Glory and the entire run, from the very beginning all the way through to the boss battle was one mad vortex spinning rush of furious beatdowns, chain lightning blood showers and poised insanity.

It was beat-em-up bliss :)

It's a little more than crazy. I don't think my Wizard on PC even broke 100k before I stopped playing, and my console Wizard is already at 320k. In a few days, after the actual materials drop and I can craft the Tier 14 ruby, it will probably be 350k. And hell, I gave up playing the Monk on PC in Act 2 Hell.

Someone mentioned it before but it is utter bs that you have to go back to hell to get tomes in order to combine the gems that drop in inferno. it'd be okay if magic find affected tome drops. but geez is it annoying.

Ooccoo

I'm having a blast to be honest. Found a lot of cool legendary items, even got a plan (never dropped once on PC in 800+ hours). So far this is the best version by a huge margin. Although there are a couple of annoyances, like the (short) loading time when you TP, so-so graphics, etc.

Sanctuary

Someone mentioned it before but it is utter bs that you have to go back to hell to get tomes in order to combine the gems that drop in inferno. it'd be okay if magic find affected tome drops. but geez is it annoying.

Yes, that's actually extremely annoying. Instead of being able to work on Paragon levels, Warden farming as well as Inferno drops, you have to go back and farm trivial shit. I'm at a point now though where it's not that bad since I have no lower level rubies besides square to need pages/tomes for, and I have nowhere near enough for what I need. Once I have a large enough surplus, I should be able to get what I need in under two hours. As much as it seems like a waste of time, it should be made back with the better damage. Perfect squares (which use Inferno drops) will also be dropping along the way.

Also, I can't wait to see how utterly broken I can make a level 1x Barbarian (whatever level he gets his first socketed weapon). Going to go for Paragon 100 on my Wizard, then give the Barbarian the +160 damage gem, on top of whatever other rubies I end up making and a STR Hellfire ring (no level req and I already tried to see if it works, and it does). Or maybe I should just stop at Paragon 80 or something since it would probably be faster for the last 20 to simply level the Barbarian to 60 and use him instead. Wizard is great and all, but only in Archon, which has a 75% uptime right now. I need more!

Drame

Made DH tonight, which I leveled up to act 3, using my barb as the booster. Crafted Cain's set for nifty +xp also. Although, still missing Dex Hellfire Ring and my toon would be complete for boosting.

Feels like it's best to keep the difficulty on easy, so you won't have to hit triangle/y all the time on the second controller to resurrect your alt.

Ryhian

So I just killed Diablo for the first time and am level 31. What is the strat to get to 60 as fast as possible so I can begin my real farming?

Sanctuary

When did you guys stop using the preorder helm? That +25% XP is really good...

Level 20 or so. Being able to add MF to a helm that has way better armor, vitality and your main stat destroys that helm. 25% xp isn't actually 25% xp if your killing rate is much slower.

So I just killed Diablo for the first time and am level 31. What is the strat to get to 60 as fast as possible so I can begin my real farming?

Playing through the game. Or beg someone else to carry you to 60.

Ryhian

Level 20 or so. Being able to add MF to a helm that has way better armor, vitality and your main stat destroys that helm. 25% xp isn't actually 25% xp if your killing rate is much slower.

Playing through the game. Or beg someone else to carry you to 60.

I guess I should be a little more specific. Should I just start from act 1 again and go through each act again? Are there acts I should just keep doing over and over instead of going 1-4 again?

Dahbomb

I guess I should be a little more specific. Should I just start from act 1 again and go through each act again? Are there acts I should just keep doing over and over instead of going 1-4 again?
Go 1-4 Nightmare then 1-4 Hell. Don't try to search every spot for enemies or breakables, just power through the quests as fast as possible.

Sanctuary

I was only being half facetious with that remark. Simply playing through the game will get you to level 57-58 before you have to do any real grinding. You have to finish Act 4 Hell to unlock Inferno anyway. If you play in groups more than you solo, you might even hit 60 before finishing Act 4 Hell. It just depends on how fast you can kill on your own within a group, or if the group is actually moderately efficient.

MrDaravon

So for fun times and since I'm OCD and wanted to do a direct comparison, I manually created my 360 DH on d3up here. On console I currently have 207k dps, 446 ehp, which is pretty nuts for ~50 hours of play (according to raptr, no idea how accurate that is) with literally none of my "ideal" gear in any slots except for the Manticore.

On PC my DH that has 607 hours played and is 79 levels higher than my console character is at 233k dps and 397k ehp with the exact same skill setup.

Fuck.

Just reached level 60 with my monk, FUN WAS HAD.

Now the real fun begins. Should I play through Inferno once on normal or up the difficulty for better drops?

Now the real fun begins. Should I play through Inferno once on normal or up the difficulty for better drops?

I'm beating the game on Normal then the real fun begins on Master I and work my way up. I figure by the time I finish Inferno I should have good enough stuff to jump into Master farming.

Brick

So, I've been pretty skeptical about the console version of this game. I just played the demo this morning and, whelp, looks like I'm going to be double dipping. I was really impressed with how everything controlled and especially the changes to the loot drops (which was noticeable even in the demo). Any difference between the PS3 and 360 versions, or are they both equally good?

Valnen

So I'm playing through the console demo on Hard and this feels like how Normal difficulty should have been on PC. Enemies are a threat but not impossible, definitely not a snorefest. Also, the stuttering I get even on my new PC that is waaaay more than powerful enough to play D3 doesn't happen on the console version. So the game seems to run even smoother than it does on my PC in some situations. That's ridiculous!

I really suggest anyone that was put off by the PC version to download this demo and crank it up to hard. It feels like a completely different game.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Oh wow the mob density on consoles is pretty awful, Fields of Misery is pretty empty and I went into Decaying Crypts and there's like nothing there.

Sanctuary

Oh wow the mob density on consoles is pretty awful, Fields of Misery is pretty empty and I went into Decaying Crypts and there's like nothing there.

Yeah, and it really hurts specific builds that are powerful on the PC (Archon/Wrath of the Berserker), although the Barbarian is hurt much less than the Wizard by this.

On a side note, Ice Climbers dropped. I thought that now I'd actually be able to put my Prowlers to use, but noooo. A drop of 12k health just for 4k DPS? Losing 5% crit on top of it (my build needs a relatively high crit rate)? No thanks.

So I'm playing through the console demo on Hard and this feels like how Normal difficulty should have been on PC. Enemies are a threat but not impossible, definitely not a snorefest. Also, the stuttering I get even on my new PC that is waaaay more than powerful enough to play D3 doesn't happen on the console version. So the game seems to run even smoother than it does on my PC in some situations. That's ridiculous!

I really suggest anyone that was put off by the PC version to download this demo and crank it up to hard. It feels like a completely different game.

If you care about leveling or item drop speed, there's no reason to play above Easy if you can't comfortably play on Master 1 while leveling up. Blizzard kind of screwed up with Medium and Hard. There's zero incentive except for a self-imposed slowdown. I totally agree with you about how smooth it runs on the PS3 compared to the PC, although there's much less monster density and there's no online to have to deal with if you don't want. I also don't get all of the bitching about "screen tearing". It's usually pretty easy to see with most games that have it, but it happens so infrequently that you forget that it even exists on the console version. I'm constantly looking for it, and it's almost never ever there.

Caode

Yeah the only thing stopping me from buying this ASAP is the lack of info on Reaper of Souls on consoles.

I'm extremely tempted to pick up the PS3 version.. but I'm trying to hold out for the PS4 version. I just wish we had concrete info on the possibility of carrying your character over to the PS4 version... that would be an instant sell for me. I'm not even sure if it's been mentioned by them officially or if it's even in consideration, has it do you know?

So I'm just about to fight the Skeleton King and bam, "You've reached the mass level in the demo"

fUUytbi.gif

I want to buy it but I don't want to spend $60 on a "year old" game

So here is a question, I am playing on Normal and am a DH in Act 2 at Caldeum and now Belial, and I cannot use Rapid Fire, I even switched to dual chakrams and I cannot use those either, nothing on the right trigger works.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it only this part? I am pretty sure I cannot beat Belial without a Hatred spending attack.

Ivan

I'm not a Diablo expert, but playing this on a controller feels SO good. This is the version I've been waiting for. Just controlling the character feels much more satisfying, and combat is on another level.

It feels really good. I believe that true game fans will say that you need a full keyboard for true diablo experience.

I don't care, I LOVE this.

Sanctuary

Holy shit! Just had a Stone of Jordan drop. I had never seen its stats in D3, and when I first looked at it I thought "eh, I don't get it", until I saw the +30% damage against elites. I lose 38k total against non elites, but against elites gain a whopping 46k.

Then, right after that dropped, I finally got an upgrade to my (decent) gloves.
Tasker of Theo:
131 Str
120 Dex
328 Int
135 Vit
7% attack speed
+282 armor
11% crit chance
With a socket!

Seriously, the console version feels like you're using a Gameshark.

Top Bottom