• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Raide

So I just started the game, beat the skeleton king, then restarted the quest again on Master 1. Somehow Cormac stayed with me, and I have to do the dungeon again. I get to the part where you rescue him, and boom, now I have two Cormacs! Has this happened to anyone else?

Once you finish his little quest line, he will vanish leaving you with 1 normal Cormac. No Cormac Farming for you!

molnizzle

Just tried to use my TE2 to play this thing, no dice. Damn. I was jonesing for some Gauntlet Legends nostalgia.

Anyone know a workaround for this? I figured that fight sticks would work on any game.

Sanctuary

Recommend what my Wizard's set-up should be like at level 30.

Currently, I'm running:

Electrocute - Chain Lightning
Diamond Skin - Crystal Shell
Ray of Frost - Cold Blood
Meteor - Molten Impact
Frost Nova - Cold Snap
Archon

Passive:

Glass Cannon
Cold Blooded
Astral Presence

Level 30 is still relatively early, so many of the more useful runes and passives have yet to unlock yet. If you can find a decent two-handed weapon, especially one with life steal, use that for Disintegrate. It doesn't matter if your paper DPS looks lower as long as the weapon has a good min/max and you aren't having problems killing enemies. A two-handed weapon will essentially let you skip having to use much of anything but Disintegrate as your main attack.

Disintegrate - Chaos Nexus
Teleport - Wormhole (lvl 31) or Diamond Skin - Crystal Shell
Storm Armor - Reactive Armor (Thunderstorm at 37, then Scramble at 43)
Frost Nova - Cold Snap
Hydra - Arcane Hydra
Familiar - Sparkflint (or Electrocute - Chain Lightning if you're having AP problems just using Disintegrate)

Glass Cannon, Astral Presence and Cold Blooded/Prodigy as your passives. Also, make sure that you're using the Templar's resource granting skill.

At 45 you could change it to this:

Disintegrate - Chaos Nexus (again, you need a decent two handed weapon)
Frost Nova - Cold Snap/Deep Freeze (or Teleport - Wormhole)
Familiar - Sparkflint
Magic Weapon - Force Weapon
Hydra - Arcane Hydra
Storm Armor - Scramble

Glass Cannon, Astral Presence, Temporal Flux (your Hydra and Familiar will snare almost everything).

Archon, while fun isn't really worth it aside from a 15s panic button until you are able to one-shot most trash enemies and have close the the runspeed cap (25%). It really opens up once you get Critical Mass at level 50.

This is what my Wizard uses to farm Master 4 Inferno (5 isn't worth it when doing specific boss fights):

Archon - Improved Archon
Magic Weapon - Blood Magic (my main hand does not have life stealing, and it's needed)
Familiar - Sparkflint
Frost Nova - Deep Freeze
Storm Armor - Scramble
Shock Pulse - Living Lightning (you use FN on a group, then spam this. Nothing else reduces the cooldown of Archon more reliably).

Glass Cannon, Critical Mass, Unstable Anomaly (you could change this to whatever else if you aren't finding yourself almost dying a lot). Currently when farming Act 3, Archon has close to an 80% uptime. It can be up for as long as ten minutes if you don't run into a sudden drought of enemies, but once you see that Storm Armor fell off, you may as well let the timer of Archon die so you can rebuff. The cooldown will be up anyway since it's the same time as Storm Armor's duration (just recast SA right before popping Archon) and Critical Mass would have shaved off much of the time before then.

I tried implementing Blizzard, but it just never worked very well with Disintegrate due to the AP consumption. I also didn't need Blizzard for the CC/Snare with the level 45 build above.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Once you finish his little quest line, he will vanish leaving you with 1 normal Cormac. No Cormac Farming for you!

Well son of a bitch....

Stupid Skeleton king is taking FOREVER to beat after switching to Master 1.

After putting around 500 hours into the PC version I never even considered getting a console version but once I heard they took out the auction house I knew it could make for a far superior game.

The PC version is basically gold farming, even now with the changed over loot tables. Farm gold, sell equipment to find that next item on the AH. 500 hours and never had a single set item drop.

Hearing the good things from the console version loot tables, I am tempted to double dip. And may just do it with the Ps4 version.

Amazing loot drops this weekend. Echoing fury with socket, mempo, lacuni prowlers, natalyas embrace, vile wards. We are co-oping so sharing the strength and dexterity drops.

Anyone seen the hacked/duped Azurewrath with 3 radiant star emeralds on PS3 with 4k something dps. They seem to be making rounds now. Someone joined my game and tried to trade for my echoing fury. Followed up by psn message. His username kind of gave it away: "iHackULose"

If you can find a decent two-handed weapon, especially one with life steal, use that for Disintegrate. It doesn't matter if your paper DPS looks lower as long as the weapon has a good min/max and you aren't having problems killing enemies. A two-handed weapon will essentially let you skip having to use much of anything but Disintegrate as your main attack.

Why would you use a 2 handed weapon over a one handed with a hardcore source etc which will grant more intelligence?

Mayyhem

Caved in. Just double dipped and bought this on X360. Probably going to triple-dip on Xbox One. I'm a sucker for some diablo ...

I have absolutely nobody on my list playing though, trying to persuade my friends to buy the game.

If anyone wants to add me on XBL and level with me or just play in general post lvl 60, here is my GT: Mayyhem

Caved in. Just double dipped and bought this on X360. Probably going to triple-dip on Xbox One. I'm a sucker for some diablo ...

I have absolutely nobody on my list playing though, trying to persuade my friends to buy the game.

If anyone wants to add me on XBL and level with me or just play in general post lvl 60, here is my GT: Mayyhem

are you already at level 60 or are you saying that you will open up to multiplayer once you reach 60?

Mayyhem

are you already at level 60 or are you saying that you will open up to multiplayer once you reach 60?

I'm trying to grind through the levels to 60 (its pretty boring as usual alone) but I'm down for MP once im 60 or if anyone else is leveling characters im down for MP leveling to 60 as well. :D

Anyone have any good build suggestions for a level 21 Barbarian? I'm having fun, but I feel like I'm not even close to playing the game efficiently enough to get the most out of my character. Plus I never seem to have more than 10k gold at any time.

Sanctuary

Why would you use a 2 handed weapon over a one handed with a hardcore source etc which will grant more intelligence?

Because your attack speed will run you out of Arcane Power too quickly. You'll actually be doing damage at a faster rate than required too unless you're trying to play on Master at level 30. A slower weapon with a good damage range (or one that simply has the same min as max) will be more than enough to kill most enemies, and you'll be able to essentially hold down the Disintegrate button until the entire screen is dead. It's a lot more effective at the lower levels than using faster weapons, even if you gain more stats from an offhand.

Besides, weapon damage is a bigger factor than stats while leveling up. They work together, but going for weapon damage over INT will give you a bigger boost overall in most cases.

Anyone have any good build suggestions for a level 21 Barbarian? I'm having fun, but I feel like I'm not even close to playing the game efficiently enough to get the most out of my character. Plus I never seem to have more than 10k gold at any time.

I've had a ton of fun running Cleave with the Rupture rune, especially among big crowds, enemies exploding everywhere (duel wielding is also the way to go). I also really try to up my critical hit chance and damage.

Everything else I'm still playing around with, I'm about level 38 or so.

I've had a ton of fun running Cleave with the Rupture rune, especially among big crowds, enemies exploding everywhere (duel wielding is also the way to go). I also really try to up my critical hit chance and damage.

Everything else I'm still playing around with, I'm about level 38 or so.

Yeah, I'm rocking Cleave with Rupture too, very effective. My Barb looks like this:

Primary - Cleave/Rupture

Secondary - Rend/Blood Lust

Defensive - Ground Stomp/Wrenching Smash

Might - Revenge/Vengeance Is Mine

Tactics - Threatening Shout/no rune

Rage - Earthquake/no rune

Passive I - Weapons Master

Passive II - Berserker Rage

I'm doing some decent mob damage, with decent self healing, but I feel like I'm leaving a lot on the table. Maybe my equipment is lacking or something; I'm gonna play around with some gear. I've been upgrading my Blacksmith; that's probably why I'm always broke lol.

Ryhian

This game is so addicting. Played a lot over the weekend and just hit paragon level 2. Really wish I had friends playing it too. I've done a bit of random MP, and while its reasonably good, I've had quite a few dupers join games. They just offer out all kinds of high end gear and steamroll acts. I decided when I started MP I would only use loot that was self found because of the dupers.

As a Wizard, should I take the Templar or Scoundrel? I like both of their personalities and conversations.

Both have some Passives that can help too. Any recommendations?

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Ended up double dipping with the 360 version today after about 90 hours of the PC version before the horrible loot table stopped me playing.

The immediacy of the pad controls are makiing it a far more enjoyable game so far.

I can't believe I am saying this but right now I feel like its a much better game than its PC counterpart.

Number45

How do people compare two handers against dual wielding in the game? Doesn't seem like there's a straightforward way to do it.

Also, can't do much more gem combining until I have loads of pages. I guess I'll start a new character and at least get them to NM when I'm done with the first run of inferno.

Sanctuary

As a Wizard, should I take the Templar or Scoundrel? I like both of their personalities and conversations.

Templar has the best Wizard passives by far. The healing is extremely useful, but you want him for the Arcane Power regen. He's also a much better distraction (once you start gearing him up with the good stuff, he can actually withstand quite a bit). Templar should have: Heal, Loyalty, Onslaught, Inspire.

Scoundrel has the snare, but the cooldown restricts it's usefulness, and the damage buff on crit isn't really worth what you give up with the Templar.

Also, let me be more specific about using a two-handed weapon over mh/oh; I was focusing on the use of Disintegrate since that's what you mentioned wanting to use. I'm not suggesting that two-handed weapons are better for all spells; not at all. If you don't have a good two-handed weapon that allows you to use Disintegrate as your sole personal attack, don't downgrade just to use it. You'd want to have a two-handed weapon that can keep at least 80% of the listed DPS you get from using mh/oh. To use Disintegrate you really need to find a balance between damage and arcane power useage. Two-handed weapons simply have more burst damage for the short term and they also allow you to be more mobile. Mh/oh will beat that for sustained damage, but only for six to ten seconds and then you're out of arcane power. If you can't find a good two-handed weapon, then you'll probably get more use out of using Electrocute with either Chain Lightning or Forked Lightning.

Another useful side-effect of slower weapons and Disintegrate is if you have life steal. For whatever reason, the slower (and much more consistent) healing kept me up in swarms much easier than a weapon that might dish out more DPS (healing per second too). Probably because I was able to just keep the spell going almost indefinitely.

Honestly, if you have the PS3 version, I have a two-handed weapon that will allow you to absolutely blow your way through most of Nightmare if you want it (level 38 IIRC). Just send me a message if you want it.

How do people compare two handers against dual wielding in the game? Doesn't seem like there's a straightforward way to do it.

For casters specifically just look at the min/max damage of each and the attack speed. Then factor in the cost per second of spells. For melee it will make your skills do more damage, but your actual melee attacks, or generators will be much slower and you'll get resources back much slower. You also need to have an offhand that has a relatively close listed DPS as your main hand, or simply have absolutely amazing stats or you'll more than likely just be losing DPS. My current Barbarian hasn't been able to dual wield at all while leveling up due to my main hand always having a tier 13 gem in it. Using a shield actually raised my DPS compared to using an offhand or two-hander.

I'm doing some decent mob damage, with decent self healing, but I feel like I'm leaving a lot on the table. Maybe my equipment is lacking or something; I'm gonna play around with some gear. I've been upgrading my Blacksmith; that's probably why I'm always broke lol.

You get the most damage out of Hammer of the Ancients until you can use the more broken Whirlwind/Into the Fray/Sprint build. I found mobility and mitigation to be what to focus on while leveling. I also never had much luck with Revenge, so I dropped it pretty quickly.

See how this works: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bZXSgR!Yd!aaa (use whatever as your second passive until lvl 24).
For boss fights you can always change the Hammer rune to Smash instead.

Yeah, I'm rocking Cleave with Rupture too, very effective. My Barb looks like this:

Primary - Cleave/Rupture

I'm away from my 360 right now so I don't have the details but I know that I use Whirlwind, Ignore Pain, Threatening Shout and Call of the Ancients (this comes in handy if I'm getting swamped for some reason, the cool down is insane though). I also know that I'm running Ruthless for the critical hit bonus. I also like to put Emeralds in weapons for the crit bonus

Edit: I also found that once you get to the mid-20's or so gold starts to become irrelevant, the best gear is either dropped or I make it at the Blacksmith. The only exception is rings and amulets and from what I understand you can make them eventually. Also, I don't think I have anything to do with self-healing going on outside of equipment bonuses, I rely on my Templar for that.

biaxident

Just completed inferno on easy, tried master 1 and got rocked. Now I should have the gear to do master 1. Its a shame they don't patch medium and hard into mp levels, easy is too easy but there's no bonus till master. And since mob density is so low compared to PC, what's the best way to level paragon? Feels pretty slow right now.

Sanctuary

Just completed inferno on easy, tried master 1 and got rocked. Now I should have the gear to do master 1. Its a shame they don't patch medium and hard into mp levels, easy is too easy but there's no bonus till master. And since mob density is so low compared to PC, what's the best way to level paragon? Feels pretty slow right now.

All act 3, all the time. Basically Areat Core (you can usually get 2-3 Valor stacks) > Depths 3,2,1 then go kill Azmo if you care. That's for grinding Paragon, but if you're going for Wardens, include Stonefort, Oasis, Fields of Misery/Cemetery. Not sure how long it takes on PC for Paragon levels, but up until level 20 anyway it was taking me an hour and a half per level.

Honestly, as much as the loot completely sucks on PC, the actual gameplay (not counting mouse/kb vs controller comfort) is better due to the density increase. You want to run through packs of monsters constantly when you're higher level and geared up, not run into one huge swarm, then nothing but stragglers for minutes.

I also call bullshit on their reasoning for the density differences. At one point in Stonefort I had the entire screen filled with enemies and there wasn't any noticeable slowdown that would detract from the gameplay. Who knows, maybe Stonefort is just that small and they can have denser groups instead of trying to fill out a larger map like that.

I'm also thinking that the Whirlwind/Sprint Barbarian build is a waste of time on the console, but I'm not 60 yet. I have no problems farming Master 4 Inferno on my Wizard, but I was getting sick of Archon dropping due to there not being anything to kill, so I thought maybe a Barbarian would have an easier time of it, but now I'm not so sure about that. If your goal is to keep WotB up, you're going to run into the same problem Archon has on the console.

biaxident

All act 3, all the time. Basically Areat Core (you can usually get 2-3 Valor stacks) > Depths 3,2,1 then go kill Azmo if you care. That's for grinding Paragon, but if you're going for Wardens, include Stonefort, Oasis, Fields of Misery/Cemetery.

Honestly, as much as the loot completely sucks on PC, the actual gameplay (not counting mouse/kb vs controller comfort) is better due to the density increase. You want to run through packs of monsters constantly when you're higher level and geared up, not run into one huge swarm, then nothing but stragglers for minutes.

I also call bullshit on their reasoning for the density differences. At one point in Stonefort I had the entire screen filled with enemies and there wasn't any noticeable slowdown that would detract from the gameplay. Who knows, maybe Stonefort is just that small and they can have denser groups instead of trying to fill out a larger map like that.

Yeah I kinda agree, having every fight on PC be a massacre of 100+ is so satisfying, but then realizing the 15 items that dropped are worse than level 40 blues... not so fun lol. With such low density too, I'm not sure how good WW will be, mobs are so spread out.

Edit: Looks like you answered my WW question.

Sanctuary

Yeah I kinda agree, having every fight on PC be a massacre of 100+ is so satisfying, but then realizing the 15 items that dropped are worse than level 40 blues... not so fun lol. With such low density too, I'm not sure how good WW will be, mobs are so spread out.

Edit: Looks like you answered my WW question.

It's honestly to the point where I actually just want to not bother hitting 60 (at 55...) to see what happens, and simply going with a Monk. I've really been wanting to play a Monk with a controller for a while anyway.

biaxident

It's honestly to the point where I actually just want to not bother hitting 60 to see what happens, and simply going with a Monk. I've really been wanting to play a Monk with a controller for a while anyway.

Now tempest rush farming still might work, since all the spirit regen mainly comes from skills, but you do need the helm with at least 1.2 spirit regen iirc. I loved that on PC, always moving fast, constantly having sweeping wind and TR up. But sweeping wind may fall off a lot, need to hit something every 6 secs or so. Any monks try this yet?

MrDaravon

Now tempest rush farming still might work, since all the spirit regen mainly comes from skills, but you do need the helm with at least 1.2 spirit regen iirc. I loved that on PC, always moving fast, constantly having sweeping wind and TR up. But sweeping wind may fall off a lot, need to hit something every 6 secs or so. Any monks try this yet?

Early reports are that with the mob density being lower on console TR doesn't work as well, but I don't know how much it's been messed with.

Saganator

Just wanted to take a moment to thank Diablo 3 for being the absolute best game to hold me over until GTA V. I probably won't touch D3 for a few months after GTA is out, but Diablo made this last week of waiting much more bearable. I almost wish GTA came out a few days later as I just hit Inferno and would like to play it properly, but I'll probably have to come back to it some other day.

This game is so addicting. Played a lot over the weekend and just hit paragon level 2. Really wish I had friends playing it too. I've done a bit of random MP, and while its reasonably good, I've had quite a few dupers join games. They just offer out all kinds of high end gear and steamroll acts. I decided when I started MP I would only use loot that was self found because of the dupers.

At this point I would love to run into dupers if it would help me level faster.

shakanico

Neo Member
Did you notice something strange with quality/quantity loot on inferno mode ?

I finished Inferno/hard mode with a barbarian (parangon 2). Strangely, I found less good legendary objects than on normal difficulty. Loot became very strange on inferno : in normal/nightmare/hell (normal mode), I found a lot of very good legendary items (in 2 hours I went from a 591 2-hand weapon to a 1050 1-hand weapon then to a 1450 2-hand weapon -> crazy). On inferno, I have found no better item than I had on hell mode.

What are the best places to farm legendary items ? I tried to farm tower of the cursed level 1 but even on master 1, I found nothing interesting.

(sorry for my english)

maomaoIYP

Anyone knows how to get into the heretic's abode? I have the infernal machine, have the quest to leave tristram, but the door behind the healer cannot be opened still.

edit: You have to attack the door to open it. DOH!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone knows how to get into the heretic's abode? I have the infernal machine, have the quest to leave tristram, but the door behind the healer cannot be opened still.

edit: You have to attack the door to open it. DOH!

Hahahahah

DragonNC

That dodge implementation in console version is making game 2 easy.......
On PC version I needed to play on my DH with Smoke Screen + Preparation all the time to stay a live in inferno.
On console with dodge mechanic implementation I just fill slots wit Caltrops & do insane damage.

& with this bow.......master 5 melting

eXvTbDR.jpg

DragonNC

Yeah =(. No drops from my first try too. I honestly thought they'd make the rate really high since I got all my keys on the very first attempt. One of the keywardens even dropped 2 different keys at the same time.

To get organs 75% chance you need 3 stacks valor buff & master 2 settings.
Be sure to clear lv elites before you kill butcher so you stack up.

I took the templar up till level 20. I now take only the enchantress. she is so damn powerful, i am a wizard and together we just melt things non stop. Her "chickens" power is really helpful too.

jonhuz

To get organs 75% chance you need 3 stacks valor buff & master 2 settings.
Be sure to clear lv elites before you kill butcher so you stack up.

I had much better result at Master 1 with Valor 3, with organ drops. Honestly don't think the Hellfire Ring is worth the time.

How much Magic Find do you guys roll with?

2 hours on Master 1:

bul.JPG

skorn.JPG

Number45

Go back with your current character on Master Level 5, profit more.
What level gems drop in the master levels? Because in order to craft the higher levels I need to combine a load of the lower level gems, which means I need pages/tomes of jewelcrafting.

Primary - Cleave/Rupture

Not too different to mine, although I'm running Battle Cry with the 30% damage as shout. At this point I'm not sure I need Ground Stop/Wrenching Smash because a) it doesn't draw in elites, and b) when the game gets harder trapping myself won't help.

Not sure on my current passives.

Halcyon

I rented this for the weekend. I plowed through normal mode.

Did I get lucky with my playstyle? or is it just super easy on normal mode.

I picked monk. By the end of the game around level 30 I had mostly legendary gear. I was dual wielding with very high weapon speed.

Basically for mobs I would run into the middle of the pack, use the AE suction power, then follow with the roundhouse kick and clean up with the attack that spreads like a trident. Both me and the templar had legendary axe's which spawned a ghoul so I just stomped through everything.

On the bosses I switched to more dodge/single target stuff. I'd use the ghost spawn skill so it would be like an small squad of death running through. On top of that I had like no way of getting hit because I had healing and invulnerability and high dodge.

It was fun but seemed very over-powered. Are the other classes that over-balanced?

Number45

Normal on normal is incredibly easy regardless of class. The higher difficulties and MP modes will give you the challenge you need (but it'll take a little while to get there).

You could try Master I if you want a challenge on your NM run, or on another toon in normal.

Top Bottom