• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Sanctuary

Playing HC, and I ended up starting Hell with only around 6k DPS. Then a decent Pig Sticker dropped 2/3 through Act 2, then a 900 DPS version of the same weapon dropped, and not five minutes later an 1100 DPS Doombringer dropped. Now I'm at 30k (up to 50k with buffs) DPS and 50k health. It's too bad I don't use a shield either, because this weapon screams "best HC weapon ever" aside from not having life steal.

edit: Now Boj Anglers just dropped. Act 2 sure is great.

Bread

Banned
Weird, just encountered a weird glitch with my local coop buddy. I hit level 60 as player 1, and he hit a little after me as player 2. My experience bar is showing the correct amount, about halfway through to the next level, while his is sitting at 0 on the bar. We left the game and he switched to player 1 and this made his bar show up again, while mine didn't show as player 2. So thank god the leveling didn't break, but it's weird that the bar doesn't work anymore for player 2.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Sanctuary

Only one character on your account (P1) that you play at a time gets progress towards Paragon levels, but both should be getting the bonus once those levels are acquired.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Is it just me or do your dumbest deaths in Diablo 3 come because of greed? It feels like any time I die, its because I was trying to focus on killing a treasure troll who happened to spawn while I was starting a elite enemy encounter :(

Arcayne

Questions!

1) What are paragons/paragon levels and why should I care about them? (Past few comments lead me to believe its something like Pokemon EV/IV stuff?)

2) For the WD, is there a better R2 skill to use other than Firebats + Life Leeching rune? I've been using that since it was unlocked. Different type of AoE spell would be great.

I'm a lvl 36 WD on Nightmare - Master I btw! First Diablo game I've played from start to finish, so I don't know the terminology too well.

Number45

1) What are paragons/paragon levels and why should I care about them? (Past few comments lead me to believe its something like Pokemon EV/IV stuff?)
More levels after you hit 60, but they increase your magic and gold fined - in theory allowing you to find more, better equipment. They also increase your primary stat and are account wide (so will boost the stats of any alt that you create).

2) For the WD, is there a better R2 skill to use other than Firebats + Life Leeching rune? I've been using that since it was unlocked. Different type of AoE spell would be great.
Not a direct answer to your question, but you can specify multiple active skills in a group if you enable elective mode in the options (can't remember if it's on by default). That way you can customise further (assign multiple active skills from the same group, or ignore one group altogether).

Arcayne

More levels after you hit 60, but they increase your magic and gold fined - in theory allowing you to find more, better equipment. They also increase your primary stat and are account wide (so will boost the stats of any alt that you create).

Not a direct answer to your question, but you can specify multiple active skills in a group if you enable elective mode in the options (can't remember if it's on by default). That way you can customise further (assign multiple active skills from the same group, or ignore one group altogether).

Oh my god, I've been doing it wrong lol. Thanks for the answers!!

Number45

Oh my god, I've been doing it wrong lol. Thanks for the answers!!
Yup, caused much anger at PC release when people thought they couldn't customise fully!

What act can I farm for a helm other than Broken Crown for my Wizard? I haven't seen anything else drop [Normal, Master I].
Are you farming for a specific reason, because you'll find gear naturally as you move through the levels and difficulties. Normal/master might get you more drops with better stats than easy/normal/hard, but the ilvl will be in the same range.

Dakota47

I can't believe how fluent this game plays on console. The controller works so well for this kind of gameplay. The game is more fun because of it.

Number45

I tried the single console levelling thing last night. Works fine, although it seems weird always having your character at the edge of the screen rather than the centre. My barb is at 60 (only P2 though), so I'm seeing which out of WD/Wizard I like the most.

Struggling a little with the targeting at the moment, but I'm sure it'll come. I had the same issue with leap initially, but by the end was using it like a pro.

Played the demo on 360. God damn this game is awesome. I was never a big Diablo fan before, 2 was ok I guess.

But 3 is just awesome. But I'll wait for the PS4 or Xbox One version I think.

Raide

I tried the single console levelling thing last night. Works fine, although it seems weird always having your character at the edge of the screen rather than the centre. My barb is at 60 (only P2 though), so I'm seeing which out of WD/Wizard I like the most.

Struggling a little with the targeting at the moment, but I'm sure it'll come. I had the same issue with leap initially, but by the end was using it like a pro.

Left Trigger for Lock-On helps, especially for ranged targeting and also keeping track on a key monster.

Number45

Left Trigger for Lock-On helps, especially for ranged targeting and also keeping track on a key monster.
Yeah I've been using that, it's a real shame there's no way of flicking through targets.

Why? I put the red ones for extra damage. Then topaz in everything else for Intelligence scaling on my wizard.
Crit damage is a percentage, so it'll scale better at the top end (I think, need to check this out myself later).

MrDaravon

Very generally speaking at lower levels rubies are better in weapons, as pre-60 when your crit chance is like sub-10% the base weapon damage bonus from the ruby will be way better and more practical. By 60 (if not earlier) you'll pretty much always want emeralds in weapons though except for a very few specific exceptions like 2-socket weapons, Calamity, etc. Although now that I think about it the Manitcore and Calamity may actually be the only two exceptions.

Unrelated: I started a hardcore character (I never did on PC), if I only have one hardcore character and they die will a hardcore character created after that still get access to my stash? I know stash is still shared across characters on hardcore, but wasn't sure how stash and gold would work if you only had one hardcore character and they died.

V_Arnold

Rubies got a significant buff in one of the last D3 patches. They are sometimes on par with Emeralds, surpassing them in quite a few builds (for WD's that is true anyway). The faster the weapon, the more raw DPS buff you get with the Ruby, generally speaking.

Raide

Just had the Barter Town shoulders drop and then 5 mins later, The Monster Hunter sword. :D Only lvl 14 on my Monk. Got sidetracked playing Master 1 and getting murdered.

Number45

Unrelated: I started a hardcore character (I never did on PC), if I only have one hardcore character and they die will a hardcore character created after that still get access to my stash? I know stash is still shared across characters on hardcore, but wasn't sure how stash and gold would work if you only had one hardcore character and they died.
I was under the impression that stash wasn't shared between HC characters at all.

turnbuckle

Umm...last night I experienced a bug that makes me want to quit already.

I picked up a couple of legendaries during a run; I didn't identify them right away, but I could tell what a few were by the picture. Once my inventory filled up I went to town to sell my junk. While I was trying to flag my items for junk I noticed none of the legendaries I had were showing up. I was confused, annoyed, whatever...thought maybe my brain was playing tricks on me.

Anywho, I went to the merchant to sell the junk I had flagged. After everything was sold, I noticed that the legendaries I were sure I had found but previously couldn't find were showing up in my inventory under the "sell" tab with the merchant. I closed out the screen and checked my inventory to identify them to see if they were worth anything (I knew one was going to be an upgrade because they were Lacuni Prowlers). When I went to my inventory screen the legendaries were gone again! I yelled at my roommate to come look just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating (well, really, just to show him something weird was going on).

While I was showing him, I went back to the merchant screen to see if they were still in my inventory there. They were. I also saw that I could identify them from within that screen. Two of the legendaries weren't so great, but the lacunis were phenomenal. 5.5 crit, 9 attack speed resist all, a ton of strength....like, these are lacunis that would have been worth a ton of $ in the PC version.

So, excited for my find I closed out of the merchant screen so I could equip them. And like before, they weren't there!

So....I did something stupid and something you guys should make sure not to do. I thought...hmm...maybe if I sell these to the merchant I can buy them back right away and that will fix the problem.

NOPE.

Lacunis...gone. Gone.

I'm so irritated at this game now... :(

Had my first freeze. Locked the PS3 up solid. Lost some good drops too :(

I don't get demon hunters at all. You can dual wield or you can use 1 ranged weapon and 1 quiver.

The DPS always seems higher using a quiver with 1 weapon, is dual wield pointless on a DH? or am I missing something?

(on the plus side.... mowing enemies down with rapid fire is the most fun I had with D3 so far)

Number45

I don't touch the junk on my 60 characters, hated the way it would re-order your inventory as you were clicking. Now I just don't pick up anything lower than blue, and shard everything I don't need.

Sucks though. :(

turnbuckle

Oh, yeah, I've had my PS3 freeze up maybe 5-6 times in about 50 hours of play time. My brother and roommate haven't had theirs freeze up yet, but they've gotten kicked out of games I hosted when it happened. Or something.

I wonder if it's something to do with my hard drive. Is there a way to repair it? I remember there used to be a way by holding down the power button, but I tried that the other day and it didn't work.

Arcteryx

I picked up a couple of legendaries during a run; I didn't identify them right away, but I could tell what a few were by the picture. Once my inventory filled up I went to town to sell my junk. While I was trying to flag my items for junk I noticed none of the legendaries I had were showing up. I was confused, annoyed, whatever...thought maybe my brain was playing tricks on me.

Anywho, I went to the merchant to sell the junk I had flagged. After everything was sold, I noticed that the legendaries I were sure I had found but previously couldn't find were showing up in my inventory under the "sell" tab with the merchant. I closed out the screen and checked my inventory to identify them to see if they were worth anything (I knew one was going to be an upgrade because they were Lacuni Prowlers). When I went to my inventory screen the legendaries were gone again! I yelled at my roommate to come look just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating (well, really, just to show him something weird was going on).

While I was showing him, I went back to the merchant screen to see if they were still in my inventory there. They were. I also saw that I could identify them from within that screen. Two of the legendaries weren't so great, but the lacunis were phenomenal. 5.5 crit, 9 attack speed resist all, a ton of strength....like, these are lacunis that would have been worth a ton of $ in the PC version.

So, excited for my find I closed out of the merchant screen so I could equip them. And like before, they weren't there!

So....I did something stupid and something you guys should make sure not to do. I thought...hmm...maybe if I sell these to the merchant I can buy them back right away and that will fix the problem.

NOPE.

Lacunis...gone. Gone.

I had this happen last night: I fixed it by going to the sell category and identifying it there. For some reason after doing that it showed up correctly in my own inventory. Sucks that you sold it though :(

Bread

Banned
Only one character on your account (P1) that you play at a time gets progress towards Paragon levels, but both should be getting the bonus once those levels are acquired.
even when we're on different accounts? we are both using our xbl gamertags

Weird, just encountered a weird glitch with my local coop buddy. I hit level 60 as player 1, and he hit a little after me as player 2. My experience bar is showing the correct amount, about halfway through to the next level, while his is sitting at 0 on the bar. We left the game and he switched to player 1 and this made his bar show up again, while mine didn't show as player 2. So thank god the leveling didn't break, but it's weird that the bar doesn't work anymore for player 2.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

I ran into this last night when my girlfriend and I hit level 60. I don't think its a glitch though. Paragon levels are "account wide" so in the case with the 360/PS3 versions, instead of it being based on your XBL/PSN ID its actually your console that is considered "the account" as long as you play on the same screen.

I haven't had a chance to verify this but that's what I've come up with so far.

turnbuckle

I had this happen last night: I fixed it by going to the sell category and identifying it there. For some reason after doing that it showed up correctly in my own inventory. Sucks that you sold it though :(

Yeah! When I identified it in my sell tab, I did what you did first. The item still wasn't showing up. I was afraid if I restarted that it would be lost forever, so I tried selling it instead and ended up losing it anyways.

I'm glad it worked for you though, I wonder if there was some other variable I'm missing.

turnbuckle

I ran into this last night when my girlfriend and I hit level 60. I don't think its a glitch though. Paragon levels are "account wide" so in the case with the 360/PS3 versions, instead of it being based on your XBL/PSN ID its actually your console that is considered "the account" as long as you play on the same screen.

I haven't had a chance to verify this but that's what I've come up with so far.

Hmm, makes me wonder if you could basically double up your experience this way. Or, if doing it with 4 players you could more than quadruple your XP considering the multiplayer bonus.

Bread

Banned
Soooo is the player 2 fucked and stuck on level 60? This is so ridiculous, why would they just stop the leveling for the 2nd player after 60..

Dire

NOPE.

Lacunis...gone. Gone.

A similar, if not the same bug, I've noticed is that sometimes items you have equipped will show up in your item list for a certain slot. These slots will always be number 1 on the item list and cover up what would normally be in that slot in the item list. Legendaries go to the top, so that typically is what gets covered up. Even if you can't see them in your inventory it is completely safe to quit and relog. The display is back to normal and your legendaries are safe and sound. Unequipping, for some reason, did not solve the problem.

Niter

Played through Diablo 3 on PC and just now got the console version and I can't help but LOVE the console version! This was meant to be.

Dire

Why? I put the red ones for extra damage. Then topaz in everything else for Intelligence scaling on my wizard.

Ruby caps out at 60 damage scaled by your attacks per second. So 1.5 attacks per second = +90 base damage.

Emerald caps out at +70% crit hit damage.

So it's just a question of which is bigger:

ruby damage gain = 60 * attacksPerSecond
emerald damage gain = 0.7 * critHitChance * baseDamage

At low levels when baseDamage is low ruby is far superior.
With stronger weapons which have high base damage, emerald tends to be far superior.

Noob, your crit chance is probably less than 2 digits. My monk has 20% cc and emeralds are better than ruby same tier

Rubies scale a lot better than emeralds with gem quality. Emeralds go from like 50-110% from perfect square to marquise while rubies go from about 40 damage to 300. Mid level rubies (star, flawless star) are generally going to be worse than the same tier of emeralds. When you get to the last two tiers, rubies might win out depending on your weapon speed, crit chance and build.

DSmalls84

I have had the game freeze 2-3 times so far. Lost a few good items but nothing since I got to inferno. Coming to the realiztion that High MP farming will be difficult with my Demon Hunter. She does great damage output, but none of my gear is rolling with resist all and I die pretty quickly in Master 1. She is great for quick farming on easy though, and moves through mobs really efficiently. To bad there is not really a MP 1 or 2 equivalent for consoles.

VALKYRAY

Banned
I have had the game freeze 2-3 times so far. Lost a few good items but nothing since I got to inferno. Coming to the realiztion that High MP farming will be difficult with my Demon Hunter. She does great damage output, but none of my gear is rolling with resist all and I die pretty quickly in Master 1. She is great for quick farming on easy though, and moves through mobs really efficiently. To bad there is not really a MP 1 or 2 equivalent for consoles.
Reroll a monk. Essentially they are the same class with different weapons

DSmalls84

Reroll a monk. Essentially they are the same class with different weapons

I was already planning to start a monk. Been saving all the extra gear I get on my DH for one. Those were the only 2 classes I didn't play on pc. Is the monk pretty viable at high levels?

MrDaravon

How is 68% even possible?

I have like 51% and don't even have a nat ring with CC or the two-piece nat bonus yet. It stacks up quick. What's your dps though? On my p20 DH I can melt master 1 for the most part. with permastrafe, and run much higher running a more "traditional" build.

bidguy

Banned
can every enemy drop a legendary item ?
played through act 1, explored every inch and didnt get one.

i feel like my character is way too weak. my health goes down way too quickly.

any tips ? playing a barbarian level 16

Dahbomb

How is 68% even possible?
Depends on the class, someone like Barb can get ridiculous crit chance because of passives and even skills. Hell one of their belt the pride of cassius also gives crit chance.

For Monk this is what you need to get high crit chance:

Helm with CC
Gloves with CC
Bracers with CC
Inna's Favor
Inna's Temperance (one of the best pants in the game IMO)
Nat's Ring
Nat's Boot (2 nat pieces give you like 7% extra CC)
Second Ring has CC
Amulet with CC

DSmalls84

I have like 51% and don't even have a nat ring with CC or the two-piece nat bonus yet. It stacks up quick. What's your dps though? On my p20 DH I can melt master 1 for the most part. with permastrafe, and run much higher running a more "traditional" build.

160K Right now with 4k armor and 50k life. Only like 200 resist all though. Maybe I should switch my build. I'm using hungering arrow (Spray of Teeth), Elemental Arrow (Lightning rune), and Cluster Arrow and then Vaulting around to quickly clear maps.

Number45

can every enemy drop a legendary item ?
played through act 1, explored every inch and didnt get one.

i feel like my character is way too weak. my health goes down way too quickly.

any tips ? playing a barbarian level 16
Hang in there. Barbarian really starts to shine as you level... sooner or later you'll be wondering why your health never moves.

Top Bottom