• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Sayter

Ok seriously fuck the realm of turmoil. Absolutely the hardest of the three for me, and after visiting it 4 times, still missing the ingredient for the hellfire ring

A hellfire ring isn't all that great to be honest. Spent the whole weekend on inferno master v trying to farm for nine keys. Got the ingredients, and bought the plans for the rings. When I finally crafted one it was worse than what I already had on.

Sanctuary

A hellfire ring isn't all that great to be honest. Spent the whole weekend on inferno master v trying to farm for nine keys. Got the ingredients, and bought the plans for the rings. When I finally crafted one it was worse than what I already had on.

You aren't the first person to make this claim, yet they can be the best in slot. You can roll crit chance, crit damage, high main stat, damage and a socket. On top of having 35% XP for paragon leveling. Two of my characters ended up with rings that were better than anything that they had previously, and nothing better has dropped since either.

Master V is also a bit overkill.

I think the point of the Hellfire ring is that it DOESN'T have level requirement, so you can level your other characters quickly.

I don't see that as the point. That's not an incentive for someone who doesn't care about leveling alts, it's just an added bonus that makes a difference from Normal through Nightmare.

Number45

Is there a list somewhere of the best rolls available on each piece? Realised last night that I have a Witching Hour on my Wizard (never paid much attention to gear while levelling), but I have no idea what kind of roll it is.

EDIT: I assume we're checking against the item in the battle.net database?

Number45

Took some pics of a few of my better items (Tal Rasha dropped earlier today):

1EIzSzX.jpg

Gi9B6Zv.jpg

18lbtUQ.jpg

D2Dqb5d.jpg

:)

legbone

ok, so i hit the first paragon level with my demon hunter. i am currently just blazing through inferno. i started a barbarian. i hear people say how much easier the barb is than the dh. so i'm getting my ass handed to me with the barb. probably because i'm only level 9. i hear the barb is op with later skills so i'm looking forward to something different (different from dh that is).

ok, so i assigned stomp to x and leap to y. now i hop in, stomp, rend, then swing away and most shit dies pretty quick. just got to get used to keeping an eye on health. shadow power has me spoiled i guess.

Just finished Inferno with my Paragon 3 Wizard.

Started Demon Hunter now.

Though to be be honest, playing the same stages for the 5th time now is wearing a bit thin.

Number45

ok, so i hit the first paragon level with my demon hunter. i am currently just blazing through inferno. i started a barbarian. i hear people say how much easier the barb is than the dh. so i'm getting my ass handed to me with the barb. probably because i'm only level 9. i hear the barb is op with later skills so i'm looking forward to something different (different from dh that is).

ok, so i assigned stomp to x and leap to y. now i hop in, stomp, rend, then swing away and most shit dies pretty quick. just got to get used to keeping an eye on health. shadow power has me spoiled i guess.
Once you hit about 20 with the Barb you won't have to worry about anything until you start to bump the difficulty in inferno.

Once you hit about 20 with the Barb you won't have to worry about anything until you start to bump the difficulty in inferno.

This is so true. I think I struggled with Belial at Normal level (just as I had done on PC) as my gear wasn't quite there - but after that I've died just a handful of times and that's me in Act 3 of Inferno now. I'm looking forward to bumping up the difficulty levels very soon. Master 1 is still just on the wrong side of fun.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Just got the game this weekend and having a blast playing through it with a wizard. I just started act 3 last night level 25. I usually play melee classes in these kind of games but decided to try a wizard. So far no regrets at all the wizard is very fun to play. Just upgraded my wand with the crafting level 25 version and what a huge upgrade almost double the damage. Also starting to get some gear that I have to ID. Also getting some good spells like disintegrate helps. I am planning to finish on easy to see the story line and then going on to farming gear finishing off leveling to 60.

Is it worth playing co-op before level 60? Also is it better with a wizard to use a higher damage non wand? Also when do wizards get a good I think it is R1 spell. Not a fan of the charge and small area attack since puts me to close to the action.

Number45

Is it worth playing co-op before level 60?
Personally I wouldn't play online co-op with randoms before you've played the game once, unless you don't mind every cinematic/conversation being skipped. Next time through you'll be skipping them all yourself anyway. :)

Also is it better with a wizard to use a higher damage non wand?
While levelling, just go with whatever gives you the most damage. Later on you'll need to decide between a 2-hander and 1-hander with source/shield - but by that time you'll probably be a lot more familiar with the game systems.

Also when do wizards get a good I think it is R1 spell. Not a fan of the charge and small area attack since puts me to close to the action.
By default the game assigns a single skill from each category to one of the six action buttons. However, if you go into options and enable elective mode you'll be able to assign skills as you see fit. Don't want signature skills? No problem! Want nothing but signature skills? No problem! Build your character out as you see fit.

Number45

Slowly making my way through act 2 on master 1. Maghda down, and I'm not having too much trouble at all.

This dropped on my wizard (from trash right at the start of act 2). I thought set pieces didn't drop for other classes?

MrDaravon

Slowly making my way through act 2 on master 1. Maghda down, and I'm not having too much trouble at all.

This dropped on my wizard (from trash right at the start of act 2). I thought set pieces didn't drop for other classes?

They do, just apparently super rarely since drops already cater to your class. At ~300 hours I think I've only had one set item drop for another class (IK helmet dropped when playing my Monk).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
They do, just apparently super rarely since drops already cater to your class. At ~300 hours I think I've only had one set item drop for another class (IK helmet dropped when playing my Monk).

tumblr_lqkm1lKJij1qht847.gif

Number45

Speaks volumes for how much better the drops are that I'm midway through act 2 inferno (master 1) and I still don't have the "equip a level 60 item in each slot" trophy.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Finished first play through today very enjoyable. Now on nightmare/easy and in just starting up the first act. Need to learn to be more careful almost died a few times already. Only died once in first play through. Only level 33 so looks like might not reach 60 till 3rd play through. Have not gotten any upgrades but finally got some pages to upgrade the blacksmith.

What is everyone's favorite wizard spells? So far liking the ice storm spell and disintegrate a lot. Been using shock pulse for signature spell. Might spectral blade more this time around. Electrocute did not seem to work well for me not enough stopping power yet.

Arcayne

finally got to inferno after what seemed like forever, is it recommended to set the difficulty straight to master I, or should I "easy mode" it for some gear first?

Number45

Definitely run through it in easy mode for the first time.

Firstly, if anyone has:

T12 Topaz
T13 Ruby
T12 Amethyst

... going spare I'd REALLY appreciate it!

I'm going to cross post this to the trade thread when I locate it, but I have the following plans up for trade (happy to give them away) if anyone wants them (UK PS3 here):

Jewelcrafter T12
Flawless Star Emerald (2)
Flawless Star Ruby (3)

Jewelcrafter T13
Perfect Star Emerald
Perfect Star Topaz

Jewelcrafter T14
Radiant Star Amethyst
Radiant Star Emerald (2)
Radiant Star Ruby
Radiant Star Topaz

Blacksmith Plans
Aughild's Victory
Deadeye
Harvest Moon
Wall of Bone
Archon Gauntlets of Strength
Archon Spaulders of Strength (2)
Exalted Behemoth
Exalted Conquest Sword
Exalted Grand Behemoth
Exalted Grand Doomcaster (3)
Exalted Grand Flesh Ripper
Exalted Runic Quiver​

Also, is there no T15 in the game? I checked the JC challenges and there's no mention of Marquise. :(

Number45

Weird. I checked the challenge the other day and I'm sure the highest it mentioned you needed for perfect gemology was radiant star.

ZenaxPure

Weird. I checked the challenge the other day and I'm sure the highest it mentioned you needed for perfect gemology was radiant star.

I am just spitballing here since I don't have the console version, but, I thought the challenges in the console version were just pulled from the achievements on the PC version? If that's the case then it would make sense for there to not be one for the marquise gems because those were not in D3 at launch on the PC. They never added any new achievements for stuff like marquise gems or the infernal machine, Blizz said they would only add achievements to D3 with expansions.

Number45

:/

Perfect as Tears is a Crafting Achievement which requires crafting a maximum level gem. Maximum level gems are Radiant Star gems which require the Jeweler to be fully trained at level 10 in Inferno difficulty. In addition, the Jeweler must first learn the Designs before he can craft the gems.
There are four types of Radiant Star gems, and each require 3 Perfect Star gems, 20 Tome of Secrets, and 400,000 Gold.
OK, so the challenges haven't changed and state that you need to create a max level gem... but it's not the max level gem. Bizarre!

At least I know they're in there though.

ZenaxPure

OK, so the challenges haven't changed and state that you need to create a max level gem... but it's not the max level gem. Bizarre!

At least I know they're in there though.

Yeah it's exactly the same on PC.

I guess they either didn't care or forgot to change it when they copy/pasted all the achievements into the console version. I can kinda understand since I believe it's pretty much the only achievement that got outdated with patches.

What is everyone's favorite wizard spells? So far liking the ice storm spell and disintegrate a lot. Been using shock pulse for signature spell. Might spectral blade more this time around. Electrocute did not seem to work well for me not enough stopping power yet.

Electrocute+ Chain Lightning works fine as a finisher. Shock Pulse+ explosive Bolts is crazy fun but it's random, frustrating if they keep missing. Using Blizzard and Disintegrate I find electrocute is more than good enough to clean up, but I'm still on normal with a legendary staff.

I'm up to 37 on my WD in Nightmare and it's barely harder than Normal right now. Champion packs are a bit harder but my WD seems unkillable at this point and bosses and elites go down quickly. Almost done Act I right now.

I gotta say Blizzard still has it with the lame jokes. I got the legendary farting pants and I got a legendary lightning hammer called Odyn Son /facepalm (damn good items though).

Number45

I'm running with piercing orb, disintegrate, diamond skin, teleport, venom hydra and storm armour at the moment. It's working mostly OK.

Rounding out Act 2 on Nightmare (Normal Difficulty, I think), playing a Witch Doctor. Is the game going to get tough on Nightmare, or do I have to wait for the next playthrough?

The first round, probably died like twice. Once I unlocked the tossing skulls attack for the WD, the game basically went into cheat mode. Rolling with 3 zombie dogs, a giant zombie and a companion basically destroyed any enemy I came across.

Number45

You're better off saving the challenge for when you hit 60. If you're finding it boring though, you could bump the difficulty up on the current play through.

Rounding out Act 2 on Nightmare (Normal Difficulty, I think), playing a Witch Doctor. Is the game going to get tough on Nightmare, or do I have to wait for the next playthrough?

The first round, probably died like twice. Once I unlocked the tossing skulls attack for the WD, the game basically went into cheat mode. Rolling with 3 zombie dogs, a giant zombie and a companion basically destroyed any enemy I came across.
I think I went through all of Nightmare without my monk dying once. Still had a blast, but luck was shining on me too. Plenty of legendaries kept me in stock, and my build just clicked perfectly.

There are always those times though where your drops can run a little dry on what you need, or elite packs (or multiple packs at the same time) throw something at you that you weren't quite ready for.

Case in point: Now that I'm running through Hell a lot of packs are Molten, and one of the first packs had Wall+Molten and almost took me out right then and there. Since then I've slotted an escape power (Serenity with Peaceful Repose) so I can deal with this new threat and am keeping an eye out for +INT and all resist gear, just to be safe.

I still can't get enough of this game. Had a flu all week and its been the perfect salve for a fuzzy and medicated mind.

I think I went through all of Nightmare without my monk dying once. Still had a blast, but luck was shining on me too. Plenty of legendaries kept me in stock, and my build just clicked perfectly.

There are always those times though where your drops can run a little dry on what you need, or elite packs (or multiple packs at the same time) throw something at you that you weren't quite ready for.

Case in point: Now that I'm running through Hell a lot of packs are Molten, and one of the first packs had Wall+Molten and almost took me out right then and there. Since then I've slotted an escape power (Serenity with Peaceful Repose) so I can deal with this new threat and am keeping an eye out for +INT and all resist gear, just to be safe.

I still can't get enough of this game. Had a flu all week and its been the perfect salve for a fuzzy and medicated mind.

Good to know. Think the craziest Elite combo I've seen for was something along the lines of "Molten Chained." Took a sec to figure out what the right strategy was to beat 'em, but in the end was still pretty easy.

And yeah, I've been kept pretty comfortable with some pretty good Legendary drops, too. My main is a Thor-type hammer with some sort of crazy Lightning attribute. I'm finding weapons with a higher damage base, but the 8 or so properties on the hammer aren't making those new options very enticing.

ZenaxPure

Good to know. Think the craziest Elite combo I've seen for was something along the lines of "Molten Chained." Took a sec to figure out what the right strategy was to beat 'em, but in the end was still pretty easy.

Elite packs will become more challenging as they add an affix for each consecutive difficulty (so on inferno they have 4 random affixes). They are pretty easy/boring to fight before that point.

Got my 2nd character (demon hunter) to level 17. I didn't keep any weapons from my first character but I kept all the jewels. I put my top level ruby into one of my crossbows and it gave me a +80 damage upgrade. Everything in this game seems overpowered on normal now :/ I'm wiping through bosses in about 2 seconds.

I guess I just want to get her to level 60 and finish inferno and move on to the next character.

Blu10

So hellfire ring on the console is my main affix going to automatically associated with the ring if I picked something else?

Nokterian

I am getting this game next month going to co-op with a buddy of mine on PS3. It's still a long way before the PC version patched with loot 2.0 and the RMAH going away. But i want to play offline and get good loot.

Helscream

Banned
So hellfire ring on the console is my main affix going to automatically associated with the ring if I picked something else?

Assuming I understand your question.

If your primary stat is DEX then if you craft a [Hellfire Ring of Vitality] then 9/10 rolls you will get DEX as one of the random affixes. There is a small chance you will not receive your main stat when you craft a item, but it is few and far between.

This is a useful tactic when crafting anything. So when crafting Archon gear you can always guarantee vitality and your main stat as a affix. So that way you only have 4 random affixes you have to get lucky with.

larvi

Anyone have a good dual wield monk farming build? I was playing around with crafting some of the legendary plans I've found and discovered that the hallowed defender weapons can roll 26 or 27% bonus vs elites which is huge. This is what I've got so far, going to work on getting the bonus on the hands once I get more mats:

DSCN0960e.JPG
DSCN0961e.JPG

It might just be a display bug though since I've only seen them roll 4%, 5%, 26% and 27% so in actuality the 26 & 27 might really be 6 and 7. Will have to do some testing on it since I couldn't actually see the damage v elites show up in my status screen anywhere.

Doc Evils

I finally started this game (lol)

Must say, being my first Diablo, I'm actually enjoying this.

I like the fact you can just teleport, instead of time wasting back tracking.

Being a monk is also fun too, so thanks to those who suggested I play that class.

Coins

Banned
Got past Inferno on easy with my monk. This is the first time I've played endgame on D3. My monks dps is 97k, AC is 2958, and his HP is 46k. I'm going to farm Act 4 a bit but I'm curious when I should move up to MP1.

As a big fan of Diablo 2, I finally took the plunge into D3. I loved Diablo 2, but, I got into it way too late, and had trouble with my builds and finding equips and finding anyone to play with.

I was reluctant to get D3, first off my PC sucked, and second off I heard too many bad things about it being dumbed down. Besides Sacred 2 (which to this day is still unsurpassed) filled that loot itch.

I'm enjoying the game was a Barb, but, holy shit the writing is legit terrible. Was it always this bad? it's try hard grimdark, I just roll my eyes at the writing. half the villains seem like saturday morning cartoon villains. I think the writing and story manage to be worse then Sacred 2, and that's a huge accomplishment because Sacred 2's writing was pure shit.

I love the game but I don't see any diversity in builds. In D2 and even Sacred 2 there were a ton of different builds that could radically change the game.

Annnnyways, I found my first legendary. It dropped from a random elite in the halls of Agony. A low level ironheart chest?

legbone

Got past Inferno on easy with my monk. This is the first time I've played endgame on D3. My monks dps is 97k, AC is 2958, and his HP is 46k. I'm going to farm Act 4 a bit but I'm curious when I should move up to MP1.

i'd farm act II or III instead of IV. You'll get more out of those. IV kind of sucks in my opinion. i really like farming III myself.

edit: as for when to go to MP 1. i just keep trying with my character just to see. on inferno right now. not quite strong enough for mp1. just keep getting better equipment until you can withstand stuff. There is a guideline for what you're stats should be somewhere around here. if i remember right, your resistances should be really high. oh, and life steal too. but i'm not sure if that's a requirement or a suggestion.

Top Bottom