• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How so?

CS = 1 slot, MR = 1 slot. CS still gives +10% with one generator

Oh wow, I was assuming you meant two generators. It was more damage even with just 1?

Re: followers, I use Enchantress for my monk for the crowd control. I use Templar with my DH since he is melee and has stuns. Debating whether to switch for the DH, though.

I would love to see some arguments against the Enchantress. Disorient is a 2 second disable on a 6 second cd. Mass Control and Charm are on an 18 second cd, but disable for 5 and 8 seconds respectively. Combine that with 1-2 CC skills of your own and mobs can't do much. I've put some cd reduction gear on her but I never actually tested to see if it works.

Also, 6% less damage from range attacks is nice

i'm not into chickens. so her turning them to chicken is a turn off. only reason i stick with her because one day she may turn them into horses

datamage

So, I found a pretty bad exploit last night...

WAIfrG3.jpg

eek5

I disagree in that the Leg drop is substantially larger now. Before I would get 1 Legendary per 2 Rifts.. now I get 1 Rift per Legendary on average at the MINIMUM. Test in 3 sessions of 10+ Rifts each, in each session there was only 1 Rift I came out without a Legendary.

Sample size is too small. I've had streaks before the patch where I'd come away with a leg every run for like 6 runs in a row sometimes multiple legs and sometimes leg + soul from boss.

Last night and this morning I did about 11 runs and in half of them I didn't get leg. So either RNG good before or RNG bad now or it's pretty similar to what it was because putting a fat multiplier on a really small chance isn't a huge difference. Only time will tell...

I disagree in that the Leg drop is substantially larger now. Before I would get 1 Legendary per 2 Rifts.. now I get 1 Rift per Legendary on average at the MINIMUM. Test in 3 sessions of 10+ Rifts each, in each session there was only 1 Rift I came out without a Legendary.

Also note that this is T2 with a 4 party which makes a difference. What also makes a difference is completing the Rift even after you killed the boss. I think half of my Legendaries came after I killed the boss.

IMO it doesn't matter how fast you are clearing a Rift, rates vary due to length of Rift and density. I have no problem spending 20+ minutes on a high density Rift, usually the rewards are there.

I was just in an insane wizard group. We were flying through T2 rifts like crazy. Did 7-8 of them. I came out with 2 legendaries. Another guy had 6.

Still pretty much RNG, which has always been awful for me. I see no difference at all in drop rates.

Mugaaz

Also note that this is T2 with a 4 party which makes a difference. What also makes a difference is completing the Rift even after you killed the boss. I think half of my Legendaries came after I killed the boss.

IMO it doesn't matter how fast you are clearing a Rift, rates vary due to length of Rift and density. I have no problem spending 20+ minutes on a high density Rift, usually the rewards are there.

On the issue of money, I came into RoS with under 5 million gold and it got used up almost immediately. I realized a bit late that dumping my gold on early enchants was a waste of money (unless the enchant was easy to get) and there was a lot of trial and error early on that caused me to get a lot of gold wasted (like unsocketing items freely without regard). Now I have focused my gold sinks to upgrading gems only as this is a one time gold sink. I have 5 Royal Emeralds already, I just need two more to complete that set then I move on to Diamonds. After that is when I start enchanting my gear (I have like 5-6 Legendaries in my stash that are obvious upgrades but I need to enchant) and until then I am also stock piling on my Forgotten Souls.

To get gold I vendor my Rares. I also occasionally salvage materials for a decent yellow mat inventory. Some Legendaries require like 50 yellow mats so you need a lot of those too.

I am pretty sure there will come a break point for me where all my gems are upgraded and placed in their necessary gear slots plus most of my gear is enchanted to the right affixes outside of mix maxing (like trying to get perfect 10 crit chance on a Legendary Amulet)... at that point I will have a stock pile of gold and craft mats as well. That's also probably when I will start crafting as well.

Not true, at that point you'll be beyond crafting. Crafting is the absolute worst part of ROS. Its a complete joke, and I'm not sure what the punchline is. The most pants on head stupid was lvl 61 recipes requiring deaths breaths before. I cannot fathom how this wasnt changed after day 1 of the F&F beta.

Ashodin

I was just in an insane wizard group. We were flying through T2 rifts like crazy. Did 7-8 of them. I came out with 2 legendaries. Another guy had 6.

Still pretty much RNG, which has always been awful for me. I see no difference at all in drop rates.

scy usually gets all the legendaries in our groups too :x

scy

Alt-tabbing back and forth for this response so it's not thorough at all. If you're NA, can just add me: scy#1745.

You seem to be Crusader expert 'round these parts, so tell me: WTF do I do with this?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Derelicte-1547/hero/43569823

I followed your advice and swapped some Rubies out in favor of Diamonds. I didn't have the cash to unsocket all of them but I'm doing well in T1 rifts without sacrificing too much damage (I have a bit more than 800K sheet dmg, buffed). As you can see, I'm trying to force a lightning build of sorts as I really enjoy FoH, and I'm currently dumping all of my shards into 1H in hopes of getting a Darklight Flail. I only run Steed Charge for Bounties, otherwise I run Akrat.

I do have +lightning dmg gear (+17% bracers and +15% Rondal's), but I like the Wrath replenish on Reaper's and my toughness drops significantly with Rondal's equipped. I also have a Halcyon's Amulet that has Vit as the primary stat that I use for fun that I've yet to re-roll.

What's a more efficient build based on my current gear?

Well, Iron Maiden doesn't do much so I'd probably drop it and the Iron Skin (and/or run Iron Skin Explosive for the damage). I'd still run Condemn in a non-Holy build. It's just that good.

Ultimately, your gear should be a lot of STR/All Resist with your Health being around 250k-300k (or whatever your sustain is comfortable keeping up; I get about 150k total HP from a full Wrath dump so 300k feels good for me).

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Kawl-1313/hero/45037498

So I had a Maximus drop today so I retooled my setup to be based around fire damage and think I've managed to actually to put together a semi respectable build that I have fun playing with at least.

Any knowledgeable crusader have any recommended tips? I also spent a little bit of time re rolling some stats on most of my gear, but I think I may have made a mistake by sticking with the socket on my helm. I feel like the %Life just further inflates my toughness and I feel like I'm really lagging behind in the damage.

Although when the Maximus demon procs the fire chains do so much sweet sweet damage especially on huge packs of normals.

Just a quick glance at things, Maximus needs a socket desperately. 10% Damage on it does very little since it still only applies to the base damage of the weapon and not any of the +X-Y Elemental Damage. Your Shield offers no Crit Chance and it is one of the best sources of it for a Crusader. You have a lot of VIT in slots where you'd rather have STR/All Resist. I'd put a Diamond in your Helm over the Amethyst as well since CDR will do quite a bit for your build.

As for the build, don't know why you have two spenders. And, despite the fact it has no Fire rune, I'd probably still run Condemn since it is a lot of free damage and the Vacuum is nice CC / grouping. Besides, you have +Condemn gear. Divine Fortress is superior to Insurmountable as well in terms of total mitigation and not much reason to be running Blunt here over Renewal (or Wrathful). And, despite the Fire build, Rally is still better than Firestarter.

So either RNG good before or RNG bad now or it's pretty similar to what it was because putting a fat multiplier on a really small chance isn't a huge difference. Only time will tell...

I mean, that's not really how the numbers work over a really large sample size. Just because it's a small chance doesn't really change things as the sample size gets infinitely large.

Dahbomb

In all those 3 sessions, the people who I was with were getting Legendaries at a similar rate as well (at least 1 per Rift, usually more). So that sample size is essentially quadrupled.

Sometimes you may not get one in a Rift but then you might get 2 in the other. Sometimes you may even get 3 (I got 3 in one Rift today).

On another note today 3 first times happened to me in Rifts:

*First time I played a Rift where the tileset was using Wortham (the part where you have to use the boat to get to).

*First time I got a Legendary from a Goblin.

*First time I made it to 8 levels on the Rift.

Now I just need to reach 10 levels and the Cow level.

Not true, at that point you'll be beyond crafting. Crafting is the absolute worst part of ROS. Its a complete joke, and I'm not sure what the punchline is. The most pants on head stupid was lvl 61 recipes requiring deaths breaths before. I cannot fathom how this wasnt changed after day 1 of the F&F beta.
Nah man I want to craft some of those sets (like Asheara and Hallowed).

Moff

how have they not changed the tags for public games, yet? I mean they took away the ability to name our own games for D3, would it really be asked too much to have some new tags with the new addon that offers completely new game modes? or would it not make sense to change/add the tags "bounty" and "rifts"?

DSmalls84

So is it recommended to go diamonds in all armor slots for the bonus mitigation? Currently running ruby for the bonus damage and armor.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So is it recommended to go diamonds in all armor slots for the bonus mitigation? Currently running ruby for the bonus damage and armor.

Run diamonds if you are having issues surviving, otherwise run main stat gems.

V_Arnold

My punchline is that I crafted out a full Asharea set, and it works. Crafting is a great way for predictable upgrades, and it even gives you a structure to work with, similar to old Meph runs. ("I am going to hunt XY unique for the next few hours).

It is great, and it can be expanded further upon.

scy

Run diamonds if you are having issues surviving, otherwise run main stat gems.

Generally speaking, you'd benefit more from running Diamonds so you can sacrifice stats elsewhere for better rolls. Main Stat gems just don't add that much at the super high stat values you're reaching.

If nothing else, Diamonds are just better bang for your buck in terms of the socket value.

Dahbomb

Most sets are fine for crafting especially for slots that don't offer much (like you can easily craft a set that has Shoulders and Pants because those don't offer godly Legendaries anyway for most classes).

The real problem with crafting are the vanilla ass Legendaries with no special stats (or even guaranteed stats). I would MUCH rather just gamble for a particular Legendary than try to craft one of those Legendaries. The weapons are the worst in this regard.

If there was a Legendary Shoulder that I could craft which gave me 5 primary affixes/1 secondary affix ... I would craft that all day for example.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The only stat thats more useless than sheet damage is sheet toughness.

Yep. As long as vitality is factored in to, well, any degree, sheet toughness is pretty much useless.

aborath

Neo Member
800+ shards later!

r2kFoP4.jpg

10mil dmg a tick on a haunt crit.
2.5m on locust crit

Crazy! Have you found any legendaries with properties that affect Spirit Barrage? I know it's probably passè, but I'm loving SB spam with Haunt. I tried other specs, but SB's damage is just so sexy. The main weakness of my build (I think) is that I don't really have AE abilities; it's all single-target. I might try Locust Swarm as an alternative to SB for a bit, though.

This was my old set up 100% to a tee. I'm using epiphany currently but found a helm last night that gives me 12 spirit a second when in IS. Been thinking of swapping back to IS to give it a shot.

Wow. I have not seen that. The LTKs, I would spam...

So I went home and tested. My survivability went up, but only for the time IS is up. Which wasn't long enough on T3. I took a DPS loss too. Basically the 12 spirit a second isn't equal to the spirit generated by epiphany. So I wasn't able to spam CS like I was able too with epiphany. Part of my DPS loss was due to my loss of IAS, & 20% to fire from my andariel's. I was hoping the boost from IS would offset this loss, but it didn't due to less spirit gen.

Mystic ally seems at least on par with SW. I liked that. When he splits into a bunch of guys it works well with all my +fire stuff.

My quest for more toughness / sustain without killing my DPS on my monk continues.

Shouta

Diamonds are definitely the best until they come up with a way/another scheme for gems. Crit Chance and Crit Damage are still the go to stats for offense and having All resist on a piece of gear means no room for your big damage ones.

npanciroli

Neo Member
Been having a lot of fun with my witch doctor lately. Trying to farm mats for legendary crafting. I understand that higher difficulty is a better chance and certain spawns drop them. Can I just restart and game and go to that area over and over in adventure or do I have to restart at a quest point and go to the area?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
So I went home and tested. My survivability went up, but only for the time IS is up. Which wasn't long enough on T3. I took a DPS loss too. Basically the 12 spirit a second isn't equal to the spirit generated by epiphany. So I wasn't able to spam CS like I was able too with epiphany. Part of my DPS loss was due to my loss of IAS, & 20% to fire from my andariel's. I was hoping the boost from IS would offset this loss, but it didn't due to less spirit gen.

Mystic ally seems at least on par with SW. I liked that?

My quest for more toughness / sustain without killing my DPS on my monk continues.

Mercilessly avoid all resist and stack your OWE resist in every slot. It's ugly, but I think it's what we're being balanced around.

Been having a lot of fun with my witch doctor lately. Trying to farm mats for legendary crafting. I understand that higher difficulty is a better chance and certain spawns drop them. Can I just restart and game and go to that area over and over in adventure or do I have to restart at a quest point and go to the area?

Check out this guide from DiabloFans, it's great:

http://www.diablofans.com/forums/di...e-legendary-crafting-materials-drop-locations

I worked on the Asheara one for about an hour last night on T6. The 77% drop rate seems accurate.

Dahbomb

Examples of good crafted Legendaries:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/utars-roar

Guaranteed cold damage stat so this would be a usable weapon for a Cold damage Monk or Barb. Cold damage isn't that great for Monks right now but if they buff those skills or add more cold spells to some abilities then I would definitely craft this weapon for sure.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/archfiend-arrows

Guaranteed Crit chance roll which means you don't have to try to re-roll crit on it which is really expensive to do in some cases. A very solid all around quiver.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/unbound-bolt

Guaranteed Crit hit damage and attack speed on main affix roll.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/the-helm-of-rule

This was always a decent Legendary to craft and with Crusader this would be a damn good defensive Helm.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/reapers-wraps

The secondary is EXCELLENT! Most people are running around with these Bracers and for good reason.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/hallowed-barricade

Excellent for Crusaders due to the Holy damage affix guaranteed. Combined with another Hallowed weapon and this becomes pretty damn solid.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/captain-crimsons-waders

One of the few ways to get extra cooldown on your gear.

Now some examples of crap crafted Legendaries (majority of them are):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/war-of-the-dead

Nevermind that 2H weapons are already bad... the damage stats aren't even that impressive. Same can be said for most crafted weapons.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/skelons-deceit

There is absolutely no reason for me to craft these when I can craft something like Asheara pants which have the added set bonus potential.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/mantle-of-the-rydraelm

I would honestly wear my Blackthorne chest over this.

Shouta

Is there any sort of consensus on which follower is most useful?

Real answer is whatever you can gear up easily and can benefit from its boosts.

I use the Scoundrel on my Monk because he basically inherits any of my stuff that I can't use other than the weapon same with my Templar on my Crusader and Enchantress on my Wiz/WD. lol

I'll swap over when I got them upgraded sufficiently though. Follower damage is really good now for the most part. Not as good as the player, obviously, but it's not peanuts anymore. Most of my Followers have like 250k+ dps or so which is nice enough to help me kill stuff.

Mugaaz

Generally speaking, you'd benefit more from running Diamonds so you can sacrifice stats elsewhere for better rolls. Main Stat gems just don't add that much at the super high stat values you're reaching.

If nothing else, Diamonds are just better bang for your buck in terms of the socket value.

People forget that mainstat gems are providing toughness as well, while diamonds do not. While the argument that 100 AR = 750 mainstat in primaries item weight is true, that doesn't also mean 100 AR = 750 mainstat in usefulness. So the argument that diamonds are better than mainstat because its more item weight is a really, really bad argument. The argument that mainstat is worse than AR due to less % gain from further increases in mainstat is also flawed, because diamonds work the same way as mainstat gems. While they both provide less of a % change, they both provide no DR. The increase is purely linear. Generally, I'd go diamonds over anything but a non-dex flawless royal mainstat. I would use imperial diamonds, and think crafting flawless royal diamonds is too high of an opportunity cost compared to every other possible use of gold, but that it would be something I would eventually get around to after I've finished all the other big 1 time gold sinks.

Mercilessly avoid all resist and stack your OWE resist in every slot. It's ugly, but I think it's what we're being balanced around.

Yeah I think I'm gonna have too. Most of my gear will need retooling though. It's also putting me back into a scenario where all my passives become defensive passives with one for the LpSS.

OWE has been a source of frustration since like forever. They wanted to make it "not mandatory" and it getting back to "mandatory" status.

scy

People forget that mainstat gems are providing toughness as well, while diamonds do not.

I think I need this explained.

While the argument that 100 AR = 750 mainstat in primaries item weight is true, that doesn't also mean 100 AR = 750 mainstat in usefulness. So the argument that diamonds are better than mainstat because its more item weight is a really, really bad argument.

Didn't say that 100 AR = 750 Main Stat, just that the item budget is such that 1 AR is greater than 1 Main Stat. It's harder to compensate for 78 AR than it is for 280 Main Stat.

The argument that mainstat is worse than AR due to less % gain from further increases in mainstat is also flawed, because diamonds work the same way as mainstat gems. While they both provide less of a % change, they both provide no DR.

I'm not sure I'm following the logic here but I was saying that the damage gain from, say, 7000 STR to 7280 STR isn't that big of a jump. Gaining more mitigation is generally just better here as it lets you remove those rolls from other slots and compensate with Damage% / DR% multipliers instead.

Dahbomb

Yeah I think I'm gonna have too. Most of my gear will need retooling though. It's also putting me back into a scenario where all my passives become defensive passives with one for the LpSS.

OWE has been a source of frustration since like forever. They wanted to make it "not mandatory" and it getting back to "mandatory" status.
It's not getting back into mandatory status... it IS mandatory.

First of all Monk isn't getting free armor/resistances from main stats like other classes do which means stacking resistance is all the more important. You might have 1800 resistances but you are still probably less tanky than a Barb/Crusader with 1200 resistances due to the difference in armor. We get dodge which is garbage, you need an extra skill like Mantra of Evasion or 6th Sense to make Dodge even matter.

Secondly... you get way more secondary resistance than all resistance (normally 150 vs 100 at max Rare values). In addition, secondaries are not competing with primaries. So a Shoulder that rolls Dex, Vit and skill of your choice is great for you because you can just roll a secondary into All Res (and most likely have like +Armor or +Regen or +% Life as the 4th primary). This allows Monks to be more flexible with their itemization.

Another stat that is underrated for Monks is health globe bonuses. It's not available on all gear.. it's available on Shoulders, Amulets/Rings, Chests and Boots. Along with getting the secondary resistances, try to get Health Globe bonus as well. This is because that stat scales up Transcendence (gives you more LPSS) and Mantra of Healing (makes your shield stronger) which pushes your survivability much higher. This is not reflected at all in your stat sheet so it's harder to judge but doing the math it's worth getting it. It's a secondary affix again so it's not a big to have it on gear.

So a perfectly rolled Monk chest for example would look like:

Dexterity
Vitality
Armor
3 Sockets
Secondary Resistance
Health Globe Bonuses or a Legendary affix

For Spirit Stones you can have:

Dexterity
Vitality/Socket/LPSS
Crit chance
Skill Bonus
Secondary Resistance
+Max Spirit or a Legendary affix

For Amuletss:

Dexterity
Attack Speed/+% Element bonus
Crit Chance
Crit Damage
Secondary Resistance
Health Globe bonus or a Legendary affix

I think I need this explained.
I think he meant to say "damage" instead of "toughness".

Zemm

The game will never be perfect until they fix this damn stuttering, come on! Everytime someone comes online, or loots more than one legendary, it's getting annoying.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
NightAngel be giving me gifts.
gladsfrstc.jpg

Though I did give him a nice blackhand that improved his damage :)

And the RNGods were nice to me today
sohssslp.jpg

ward5mspx.jpg

To bad they weren't very nice to me and gave me good rolls on SoH and CD re roll on ward :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom