• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kawl_USC

Just a quick glance at things, Maximus needs a socket desperately. 10% Damage on it does very little since it still only applies to the base damage of the weapon and not any of the +X-Y Elemental Damage. Your Shield offers no Crit Chance and it is one of the best sources of it for a Crusader. You have a lot of VIT in slots where you'd rather have STR/All Resist. I'd put a Diamond in your Helm over the Amethyst as well since CDR will do quite a bit for your build.

As for the build, don't know why you have two spenders. And, despite the fact it has no Fire rune, I'd probably still run Condemn since it is a lot of free damage and the Vacuum is nice CC / grouping. Besides, you have +Condemn gear. Divine Fortress is superior to Insurmountable as well in terms of total mitigation and not much reason to be running Blunt here over Renewal (or Wrathful). And, despite the Fire build, Rally is still better than Firestarter.

Thanks for the advice, I've rerolled the Maximus about 15 times or so with no luck on the socket and every time I have the souls and other mats to reroll any leg I try again. I'll get it soon I'm sure. Thanks for all the other advice, I'll make what changes I'm able to right now and hope for the RNGesus to give some stuff with more Str or sockets for AR over vitality, I figured my health was way too high. Would you say Sweep with fire rune or blessed hammer with fire run is better as a spender? I like hammers typically, but I thought I read on here that the fire run was bugged for it lowering the damage significantly.

RDreamer

They really need to do something about sockets being the single most desirable (required) attribute of a weapon. Not sure what they could do, though. Crit damage % bonus is just too valuable.

I've been saying this for a bit. As good as ROS is, and as good as the itemization is... they didn't really fix anything. In fact it's kind of worse. At least for a while there was kind of a tradeoff between IAS and Crit stuff. Now I don't see anyone really stacking IAS. Crit all the way. They have other stats that could be cool (area damage, IAS, elemental damage, etc), but Crit is just way too powerful.

Ashodin

I've been saying this for a bit. As good as ROS is, and as good as the itemization is... they didn't really fix anything. In fact it's kind of worse. At least for a while there was kind of a tradeoff between IAS and Crit stuff. Now I don't see anyone really stacking IAS. Crit all the way. They have other stats that could be cool (area damage, add IAS, elemental damage, etc), but Crit is just way too powerful.
ExcUse me sir. I stack IAS as a crusader!

Discobird

I've been saying this for a bit. As good as ROS is, and as good as the itemization is... they didn't really fix anything. In fact it's kind of worse. At least for a while there was kind of a tradeoff between IAS and Crit stuff. Now I don't see anyone really stacking IAS. Crit all the way. They have other stats that could be cool (area damage, IAS, elemental damage, etc), but Crit is just way too powerful.

Outside of pet doctors, most people weren't really trading IAS off for crit before. Now there is at least an interesting decision to make between IAS, area damage, CDR and RCR on some pieces (rings, weapon, gloves).

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
It would require too much rework at this point, but I would remove critical hit damage as an affix and just make critical hits do a fixed +100%.

jblank83

Critical Hit Damage is the biggest offender. At least there's a tradeoff between +Crit and +AS once you hit a certain level of +Crit. You always want +CHD, though, always.

I'd say this probably has to do with the fact that CC/CHD is more easily quantifiable, whereas AS has the potential to alter so many other skills so radically that it becomes difficult to manage from a design balance perspective. Which is why AS is such a rare affix on lvl 70 Legendaries, and all the more valuable for its rarity. Meanwhile CC/CHD is like the American Dollar, to which Blizzard has decided to peg its economy.

RDreamer

ExcUse me sir. I stack IAS as a crusader!

I know, I consider IAS on my Crusader, too. But even so on some pieces Crit stuff is still overpowered. Pretty much everyone has to admit that MOST people stack crit right now. Weapons especially are useless without a socket for crit.

Critical Hit Damage is the biggest offender. At least there's a tradeoff between +Crit and +AS once you hit a certain level of +Crit. You always want +CHD, though, always.

I'd say this probably has to do with the fact that CC/CHD is more easily quantifiable, whereas AS has the potential to alter so many other skills so radically that it becomes difficult to manage from a design balance perspective. Which is why AS is such a rare affix on lvl 70 Legendaries, and all the more valuable for its rarity. While CC/CHD is like the American Dollar, to which Blizzard has decided to peg its economy.

That's part of it. That's why I wish they'd integrate things like Area damage and elemental damage into the DPS counter. Or throw out that stupid counter and tell me what my individual skills can do per second. And maybe have a column for what individual skills can do to one mob and what it can do to 5, or 10. Then you get to see more of what you're actually doing.

Boogdud

Any advice for killing malthiel t1 as a crusader (melee) because holy crap this fight is like a big gigantic middle finger for melee. I keep getting him down to about 5% but there are so many clouds I can't move without dying.

RivalCore

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rivalcycle-2188/hero/5097736

Have my Monk geared up to take on T3 solo. The Asheara and Aughild's set bonuses really boost my toughness (13 mil, not showing on the website) and elite DPS. The Royal Ring really makes it all come to together set I get the full 3 set bonuses from them. So now I've stopped trying to stack a single resist and just went with AR since I badly wanted to have an offensive passive in there.

Almost perfected this fire build with the Burning Axe, but I got an absolutely shit roll with no Dex and no socket. Heartbreaking.

Ashodin

Sockets need to get re-evaluated, yeah. Rather, the other stats need to be brought up. Nerfing ANYTHING in the game damage wise is not a good idea. Other combos need to be viable.

lt519

Was hoping for a moonlight ward upgrade, got this...

bEuqeBX.png

Not sure if happy, confused or disappointed..Would actually be quite useful had I gotten a primary instead of the damage, going to re-roll the cooldown for some 20% Fire Damage

So as soon as I go into the game, everything becomes suuuuper slow, is there something going on with the game at the moment, or is it an issue on my end?

Dahbomb

There are two ways to control Crit in this game:

*Cap it at some value like 40% and 400% or something. Movement speed is already capped so this is not out of the question. Getting those numbers like movement speed should not be that difficult and once you do you can start concentrating on more interesting stats.

The con of this is that people don't like caps. Hell I fucking hate that movement speed is capped because it makes many Legendaries mediocre otherwise.

*Remove CHD altogether and add crit chance as inherent bonuses on gear sort of like + damage on sources or attack speed on quiver. So am amulet comes with inherent crit chance but you can get 4 primaries/2 secondaries on top of it. CHD defaulted to some value (200% or whatever).

I would also add that Main stat should also be an inherent property on all gear. So every piece of gear should have some inherent properties like main stat, crit chance and + damage/block chance/armor/attack speed.

This pretty much means that you no longer need main stat plus crit on all gear that can have it. Because crit and main stat will roll on gear inherently every character will have SOME DPS to them. This will allow people to use stuff like area damage, cooldown and resource cost reduction plus defensive attributes more liberally. This will also allow them to add more affixes... MAYBE the return of a non broken Crushing Blow.

The con of this is that it requires another 2.0 like item overhaul.

Shouta

Oh, I've heard that Damage against Elites is now Additive instead of Multiplicative making stacking it really nice in some amounts.

Mrbob

Had a horrible Rift run. 3 Rifts only one legendary ( shoulder pads that suck ) and one forgotten soul. Hotfix did nothing for me. D:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Rivalcycle-2188/hero/5097736

Have my Monk geared up to take on T3 solo. The Asheara and Aughild's set bonuses really boost my toughness (13 mil, not showing on the website) and elite DPS. The Royal Ring really makes it all come to together set I get the full 3 set bonuses from them. So now I've stopped trying to stack a single resist and just went with AR since I badly wanted to have an offensive passive in there.

Almost perfected this fire build with the Burning Axe, but I got an absolutely shit roll with no Dex and no socket. Heartbreaking.

How are your clear times in T3 solo? I am working towards this setup but with 3pc Asheara for the triple follower proc+Unity passive combo. I am also going Fire Ally with the pet buff since the active is a basically a nuclear explosion and the Fire Storm rune is kind of underwhelming compared to Cyclones.

Have you thought about rolling for spirit stones w/ Kodala? I use a Gyana Na Kashu in almost the exact same build and the burst it gives with Epiphany is absurd. You might have to rejigger your set bonuses but it procs off every LTK and does monster damage.

J2d

I've gotten like 10 shitty rings and two weapons today but all I've been wishing for is some armour =/ I hope I get chilanik's link soon, would make playing my barb a lot more fun.

jblank83

That's why I wish they'd integrate things like Area damage and elemental damage into the DPS counter. Or throw out that stupid counter and tell me what my individual skills can do per second. And maybe have a column for what individual skills can do to one mob and what it can do to 5, or 10. Then you get to see more of what you're actually doing.

100% agreement. My Wizard is an Arcane / Blades build. Trying to figure out how a new piece of equipment will affect my overall performance is maddening. Usually I just forget about all the numbers and go do a real world field test, see what crit numbers I hit, how often, how fast things die, etc.

traveler

Not Wario
I don't think the issue with the move speed stat is the cap itself, but the relative worth of paragon points in ms vs everything else. Being able to get full cap off Paragon makes the stat completely pointless on items. Scale it so it maxes at 10 ms with full 50 point paragon investment rather than 25 and the stat would suddenly have value on items.

Crusader can solo T4 now, but not to the point where I think it's as efficient as running T3. Deaths against certain affix/monster combos and feeling like I'm just a hair under the damage "breakpoint" for when it'll be a fast enough clear to warrant doing over T3 have me reverting back. Definitely feels like this Torment jump is the hardest to make. Stayed on T1 way too long and it wasn't that hard to jump from T2 to T3.

Has anyone seen an Akarat's Awakening yet? Is it as insane as it looks? I hate using Akarat's Champion due to that cd but I think I could tolerate it with this shield.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The whole concept of critchance and critdamage as normal affixes should have never been included. They will always be the "must-have" stats on almost any item.

It really hurts the variety of game. Found a fun Legendary Amulet with some special properties?
Into the trash bin, because it doesnt have 100% critdamage and 10%critchance

It really is kind of ridiculous. I don't see how you can ignore it or focus on attack speed as an alternative.

I mean, with a focus on crit chance and crit damage, you can go from doing like 1 million damage crits every once in a while do 6 million damage crits most of the time, for example. You just can't beat that with anything else. Attacking twice or even three times as fast while doing 1 million damage crits every once in a while doesn't compare.

RivalCore

How are your clear times in T3 solo? I am working towards this setup but with 3pc Asheara for the triple follower proc+Unity passive combo. I am also going Fire Ally with the pet buff since the active is a basically a nuclear explosion and the Fire Storm rune is kind of underwhelming compared to Cyclones.

Have you thought about rolling for spirit stones w/ Kodala? I use a Gyana Na Kashu in almost the exact same build and the burst it gives with Epiphany is absurd. You might have to rejigger your set bonuses but it procs off every LTK and does monster damage.

I only managed to get two rifts in tonight. Honestly they weren't super fast compared to my t1-2 TR build, but my DPS is severely lacking even with all the +Fire damage. I might try to roll for that spirit stone at some stage, but I really need a better weapon than Doombringer.

100% agreement. My Wizard is an Arcane / Blades build. Trying to figure out how a new piece of equipment will affect my overall performance is maddening. Usually I just forget about all the numbers and go do a real world field test, see what crit numbers I hit, how often, how fast things die, etc.

We really need an area with a target dummy with difficultly-scaling health and another area with a collection of six or eight similar target dummies in various geometic configurations. I get that we won't have logging to parse out exact data, but that plus a good stopwatch would be a huge help.

The sheet/profile DPS value is as meaningless as the toughness numbers.

re: stat caps-The only stat cap I can get behind is movement speed, because of the way things can get kind of degenerate with very high movement speed. I think that it's just a matter of pegging other DPS stats to the gold standard of CC and CHD properly. A lot of people are already seeing the huge upside to stacking cooldown reduction and resource reduction in certain builds, so I think the current situation in gearing is fine and that Blizzard just needs to use their big data analysis tools to keep on watch and make tweaks accordingly.

The real gear issues I have is that:

1) Secondary stats are just icky, which can be attributed to monk's On With Everything passive not getting reworked and overall too conservative design on Blizzard's part-the too conservative design can be fixed in the future, the former is fucked without a full gear reset.

2) Too many dropped Legendaries are crap. I get it, not everything can be a unique snowflake and have a special ability or proc. That's fine. Make it have immense stats instead. I can get over this random 1H axe with no abilities being weaker if it rolls huge damage to compensate for that. The place for "vanilla" legendaries with just the current stat boost is also weird-between all the buffs they just seem really out of place. A good fix would be to put a unique primary affix on each of them kind of like Fleeting Strap and call it a day.

3) The aforementioned problems with sockets. Here is seems that the emerald is just busted, but that's been known for basically forever. It's causing all kinds of gearing problems that they should just nerf it. Any attempt to work around how OP it is compared to any other option will just mess something else up. The situation here is similar to the IAS situation before that nerf in how far it reaches into every aspect of the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
We really need an area with a target dummy with difficultly-scaling health and another area with a collection of six or eight similar target dummies in various geometic configurations. I get that we won't have logging to parse out exact data, but that plus a good stopwatch would be a huge help.

The sheet/profile DPS value is as meaningless as the toughness numbers.

re: stat caps-The only stat cap I can get behind is movement speed, because of the way things can get kind of degenerate with very high movement speed. I think that it's just a matter of pegging other DPS stats to the gold standard of CC and CHD properly. A lot of people are already seeing the huge upside to stacking cooldown reduction and resource reduction in certain builds, so I think the current situation in gearing is fine and that Blizzard just needs to use their big data analysis tools to keep on watch and make tweaks accordingly.

The real gear issues I have is that:

1) Secondary stats are just icky, which can be attributed to monk's On With Everything passive not getting reworked and overall too conservative design on Blizzard's part-the too conservative design can be fixed in the future, the former is fucked without a full gear reset.

2) Too many dropped Legendaries are crap. I get it, not everything can be a unique snowflake and have a special ability or proc. That's fine. Make it have immense stats instead. I can get over this random 1H axe with no abilities being weaker if it rolls huge damage to compensate for that. The place for "vanilla" legendaries with just the current stat boost is also weird-between all the buffs they just seem really out of place. A good fix would be to put a unique primary affix on each of them kind of like Fleeting Strap and call it a day.

3) The aforementioned problems with sockets. Here is seems that the emerald is just busted, but that's been known for basically forever. It's causing all kinds of gearing problems that they should just nerf it. Any attempt to work around how OP it is compared to any other option will just mess something else up. The situation here is similar to the IAS situation before that nerf in how far it reaches into every aspect of the game.

Yeah, making emeralds do something else and balancing the game accordingly could certainly make weapon selection more interesting.

Dahbomb

I should mention that I am not against MS stat cap but I am against having the cap at 25%. It's too low and even with 25% you aren't moving that fast. Plus you can get cap MS from just Paragon points making even boots with MS pointless. It especially makes MS on Legendaries laughable.

The secondary stats are pretty bad for any class that isn't a Monk. It's why I am so reticent about switching to a DH, it's harder to get the stats you want when you are playing with 4 stats versus 5.

Most of the secondary stats are awful. Pick up radius doesn't matter for anyone except Witch Doctors. Secondary resistances don't matter for anyone except Monks as those classes would much rather have all res. Class specific secondaries only come on certain items and they automatically become the best secondary stat like... why the hell would you get gold find over +15 Max Spirit? Health globe bonus is only decent because some skills get better from it. They probably need more skills scaling off of secondaries for them to have any utility.

Like say "The range of your Sweeping Wind is increased by your Pick up radius" or "Your pets damage is increased by your Life per kill".

I though they fixed +damage% on weapons? Just rerolled my crossbow from 7 percent attack speed to 9 percent dmg and i lost almost 100 dps on the bow? :\

Dahbomb

I though they fixed +damage% on weapons? Just rerolled my crossbow from 7 percent attack speed to 9 percent dmg and i lost almost 100 dps on the bow? :
They haven't fixed it yet but they plan to. The change will most likely be retroactive as well (but don't count on it, I hardly remember any Blizzard item buff that was retroactive).

Had a horrible Rift run. 3 Rifts only one legendary ( shoulder pads that suck ) and one forgotten soul. Hotfix did nothing for me. D:

That is an absurdly small sample size for declaring the hotfix did nothing, especially since a legendary did drop. What was expected anyway? A legendary and a soul every run? 2 legs a run?

That is an absurdly small sample size for declaring the hotfix did nothing, especially since a legendary did drop. What was expected anyway? A legendary and a soul every run? 2 legs a run?

Yeah, the worst thing you can do is EXPECT legendarys to drop. I keep my expectations next to zero that way I'm not set up for disapointment

It's one thing to want an item or items, but to expect them? Nah.

Dahbomb

The only thing I expect in this game is one Legendary every one and a half hour of farming. That expectation has been met all but one time (and that was pre-patch).

I think we've been trained from the base game to worship the damage value stat above all else but really we need to treat it like the Diablo 2 lying character screen.

While it's a bummer they couldn't figure it out to be automatic it is actually pretty cool we have alternatives in the form of % increase to elements and a bunch of other affixes that are useful outside of the trifecta now.

th3dude

Yeah, the worst thing you can do is EXPECT legendarys to drop. I keep my expectations next to zero that way I'm not set up for disapointment

It's one thing to want an item or items, but to expect them? Nah.

This is honestly the best way to be. I still consider it rare and exciting when a legendary drops. If it happens more often with this hotfix, all the better. I'm not counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom