• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy! Have you found any legendaries with properties that affect Spirit Barrage? I know it's probably passè, but I'm loving SB spam with Haunt. I tried other specs, but SB's damage is just so sexy. The main weakness of my build (I think) is that I don't really have AE abilities; it's all single-target. I might try Locust Swarm as an alternative to SB for a bit, though.

Not that I know of. You just have to stack cold and spirit barrage gear to get it stronger that's all. It's not ideal to go without SB though, I was testing the dots out with the helm but so far im back with SB/Haunt and Locust Swarm for AOE. It's a nice change from relying on fetishes to move up and attack your targets.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Yeah I think I'm gonna have too. Most of my gear will need retooling though. It's also putting me back into a scenario where all my passives become defensive passives with one for the LpSS.

OWE has been a source of frustration since like forever. They wanted to make it "not mandatory" and it getting back to "mandatory" status.

Speaking of defensive skills/passives with monk.
can we speak heresy of the monk's perfection?

I think the defensive section of skills for the monk should be reworked to remove some of the heals and include more damage skills. Monk's seem to have too much of a focus on defense right now and not enough offensive options. Blinding Flash and Breath of Heaven seem near useless now at Torment difficulties. Even with the rune to double BoH's heal you are only getting back 1/3 of your health and gaining no other advantages. BF's only rune that seems useful is Faith in the Light, but with the 29% damage increase only lasting 3 seconds with a 15 sec cooldown, it's hardly worth a slot.

What are others opinions on this?

scy

I think he meant to say "damage" instead of "toughness".

That or people forget toughness from main stat but don't forget the toughness from Diamonds.

Either way, I know what my gems give me :x 3x Rubies are 740 STR, (740 * 1.41) Armor currently. So they're approaching the point of 3x Rubies ~= 50% of 3x Diamonds (hits at ~158% Armor% if I recall).

That said, I have more than enough mitigation for T1/T2 so I don't really need the Diamonds so I have 3x 280 gems in my normal chest. This will be especially true once I get more % reduction stuff (aka, please stop fucking me on rolls Haedrig). Which I assume was the point he was getting at ultimately.

Mugaaz

I think I need this explained.

Didn't say that 100 AR = 750 Main Stat, just that the item budget is such that 1 AR is greater than 1 Main Stat. It's harder to compensate for 78 AR than it is for 280 Main Stat.

I'm not sure I'm following the logic here but I was saying that the damage gain from, say, 7000 STR to 7280 STR isn't that big of a jump. Gaining more mitigation is generally just better here as it lets you remove those rolls from other slots and compensate with Damage% / DR% multipliers instead.

1. I meant to say diamonds dont also add to damage.
2. "compensating" just doesn't make sense as a concept. Neither does "x" item being a "defensive" item or a "damage" item. Like when people say to roll vit off mainweapons because weapons are a "damage" item. The only thing that's damaged is the user's brain. Stat's have no owner, they don't care where they come from. The only that needs to be compared is the value of the stat in comparison to the value of the other stats you could have.
3. I agree with the logic that you do need to take into account where you can get which stats when making a decision. Sometimes you need X amount of say CDR, and have to get it somewhere where it costs you a stat thats much more important to you, provided you already had that pre-req CDR. However, you can't get the pre-req without giving this up, so tough break. OTOH something like Blackthorne's pants with LPH is actually pretty nice because almost all leg stats are shit to begin with and the few places you can get LPH have a lot of other attractive stats.
4. Each point of mainstat or AR is worth the same as the previous point. They both provide the same effective increase in toughness or damage, regardless of how high or low your current amount is. With that out of the way, obviously there are other stats who don't work linearly, and instead are percentage based. Just don't make the reverse mistake either, it's not "ok" to give up 3% crit because you already have "really high" crit. These stats don't work this way, maaaaaatthhhhs.

It's not getting back into mandatory status... it IS mandatory.

First of all Monk isn't getting free armor/resistances from main stats like other classes do which means stacking resistance is all the more important. You might have 1800 resistances but you are still probably less tanky than a Barb/Crusader with 1200 resistances due to the difference in armor. We get dodge which is garbage, you need an extra skill like Mantra of Evasion or 6th Sense to make Dodge even matter.

Secondly... you get way more secondary resistance than all resistance (normally 150 vs 100 at max Rare values). In addition, secondaries are not competing with primaries. So a Shoulder that rolls Dex, Vit and skill of your choice is great for you because you can just roll a secondary into All Res (and most likely have like +Armor or +Regen or +% Life as the 4th primary). This allows Monks to be more flexible with their itemization.

Another stat that is underrated for Monks is health globe bonuses. It's not available on all gear.. it's available on Shoulders, Amulets/Rings, Chests and Boots. Along with getting the secondary resistances, try to get Health Globe bonus as well. This is because that stat scales up Transcendence (gives you more LPSS) and Mantra of Healing (makes your shield stronger) which pushes your survivability much higher. This is not reflected at all in your stat sheet so it's harder to judge but doing the math it's worth getting it. It's a secondary affix again so it's not a big to have it on gear.

So a perfectly rolled Monk chest for example would look like:

Dexterity
Vitality
Armor
3 Sockets
Secondary Resistance
Health Globe Bonuses or a Legendary affix

For Spirit Stones you can have:

Dexterity
Vitality/Socket/LPSS
Crit chance
Skill Bonus
Secondary Resistance
+Max Spirit or a Legendary affix

For Amuletss:

Dexterity
Attack Speed/+% Element bonus
Crit Chance
Crit Damage
Secondary Resistance
Health Globe bonus or a Legendary affix

I think he meant to say "damage" instead of "toughness".

Health globes is a large reason why I've avoided OWE. I've intentionally rolled health globes into my secondary. A lot of my other slots I've rolled AR into the mix already too, so I can't go back and change my current gear.

This will require major retooling and replacing of my gear.

It just pisses me off. They stated numerous times they were unhappy with OWE being mandatory and instead of fixing it, they've made it more mandatory than ever.

Shifty76

I think the defensive section of skills for the monk should be reworked to remove some of the heals and include more damage skills. Monk's seem to have too much of a focus on defense right now and not enough offensive options. Blinding Flash and Breath of Heaven seem near useless now at Torment difficulties. Even with the rune to double BoH's heal you are only getting back 1/3 of your health and gaining no other advantages. BF's only rune that seems useful is Faith in the Light, but with the 29% damage increase only lasting 3 seconds with a 15 sec cooldown, it's hardly worth a slot.

BF's dmg does scale with more attack speed, so you effectively get closer to +60%, but other than that, yeah - very underwhelming and I've yet to see anyone actually use it on higher torment levels.

Definitely could use some more +dmg passives

E: Plussity plus about OWE - go Blizzard! :/

jblank83

Last thing I was looking at before connection problem was my Wizard's playtime: 218 hours

Crazy. That's not even counting the rest of my heroes. Probably over 300, easily. What's even more crazy is I know people out there have much more than that.

Ashodin

Same here Ash... what we suppose to do w/o ROS?

Go to the gym! :D Time to level up my own body

Here's the comic:

HellYeah_mystic2.jpg

Dahbomb

Monks are among the best Hardcore class in the game BECAUSE of those healing/defensive skills. If you start taking away some of those skills to bolster their softcore play then their hardcore play suffers.

BF is fine... it's a cooldown skill and if you have good CDR you can keep the enemy stunned while having your damage increased for more time (30% is no joke obviously). It's one of those skills that work in a particular build... not your cooky cutter DPS Monk build. BF is the type of skill that becomes more useful in higher Torment in fact because of the crowd control if you don't have Lightning LTK or those perma stun Legendaries.

And if it's reduced CD plus combined with this Legendary you can spam it for free Spirit, CC and additional damage (or other effects):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-laws-of-seph

BoH is yet another one of those skills of Monk that scales with Healing Globe bonus and is also good in Hardcore. So if you stack that stat on gear (even in just slots) you can get an additional 20K healing from BoH. This is also another cooldown type skill that would benefit from a CDR type build and you can pretty much have a permanent 10% damage boost from one of the rune in it. And it's not hard to bring it's CD down when you have a Legendary like this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/eye-of-peshkov

astonish

Everytime I actually have time to play its server maintenance or this. I understand unforeseen problems, which this seems to be, but its no the less frustrating.

At the same time its totally crazy that in this day and age they can take down all their games, single player ones even, for 5 fucking hours every Tues and people don't think that's bonkers.

traveler

Not Wario
Getting the same error as everyone else.

I have both a decent skycutter and the eberli charo, but I found a heaven's fury/holy build still a little underwhelming. What's the best one all the holy crusaders around here have been using? Just need to make sure I'm "doing it right".

I guess that's the downside with the new focus on elemental dmg- basically need to farm up another set entirely to even see if it can compete with my current one. I do want to try a new build, but there's going to be a ton more farming before I'll even be able to do so with only slight downgrade in damage. Also, I'd just prefer to get my damage from spammable skills rather than cd based ones. (Although I suppose I could get 100% hf uptime if I paired a decent amount of cd reduction with the ec) I could drop hfs that tick for a couple mill on crits or just throw shields that crit anywhere from 8 - 12 million depending on mob type. Kind of hard to drop back down to t1 after making a decent chunk of progress.

ferr

Finally got a Cindercoat for my DH, re-rolled 2 sockets pretty easily. Also got a Marauder's chest right before that, maybe I'll switch into it down the road if I go with a different build and have more of that set. And I can't believe I still have my level 60 Inna's pants.. dat 8% IAS.

Kyoufu

The game will never be perfect until they fix this damn stuttering, come on! Everytime someone comes online, or loots more than one legendary, it's getting annoying.

My game stutters all the time. When I use the tooltip for items on the ground or when I open my bag in combat. So annoying :(

Is battle.net having problems? Cannot load my hero list...

Yep, same problem here.

Zemm

My game stutters all the time. When I use the tooltip for items on the ground or when I open my bag in combat. So annoying :(

Oh yeah, opening the character/skills page can cause stutter too (although not all the time thankfully), basically any action can cause stutter, it's so bad.

scy

1. I meant to say diamonds dont also add to damage.

Damn, I was wrong.

2. "compensating" just doesn't make sense as a concept. Neither does "x" item being a "defensive" item or a "damage" item. Like when people say to roll vit off mainweapons because weapons are a "damage" item. The only thing that's damaged is the user's brain. Stat's have no owner, they don't care where they come from. The only that needs to be compared is the value of the stat in comparison to the value of the other stats you could have.

Which is exactly what compensating is referring to here. You get up to 78 All Resist from Diamonds in a socket. You can use 3x Diamonds on your 3 sockets in a chest, for instance, to afford to lose two slots of All Resist elsewhere if that better serves your end goals. Main Stat isn't really quite the same as you need all three sockets to equate to one roll on some slots (and it's hard to not have main stat anyway due to the way the loot system works). Diamonds just work better for letting you drop a stat elsewhere if it helps. Maybe compensating is the wrong word here. I just mean that it helps you make better min/max choices due to how much All Resist you can get compared to Main Stat. It's not an always thing but it should be the case more often than not.

And "weapons are a damage item" is due to the logic that they have access to offensive stats that are of more important. You'd hate to have VIT stuck on your weapon and be forced into your next upgrade needing to be a Damage upgrade and keeping the VIT. It's more that certain slots have access to certain rolls so it's best to take advantage of those rolls unique to them than to get a stat you can easily get elsewhere. Which is basically your point 3.

4. Each point of mainstat or AR is worth the same as the previous point. They broth provide the same effective increase in toughness or damage, regardless of how high or low your current amount is. With that out of the way, obviously there are other stats who don't work linearly, and instead are percentage based. Just don't make the reverse mistake either, it's not "ok" to give up 3% crit because you already have "really high" crit. These stats don't work this way, maaaaaatthhhhs.

It's a careful balance in that more mitigation lets you DPS longer / your sustain matter more while more DPS lets you not need to sustain as long. Stacking one way too hard tends to not be the best course of action for Crusaders.

Ultimately, the math works out that something is better. It's not "okay" to just give up 3% crit because you have enough but it is "okay" to give it up if doing so means, say, 90% Crit Damage and that's a bigger damage jump for your stats. It's a comparison thing, not something that exists in a vacuum.

I have both a decent skycutter and the eberli charo, but I found a heaven's fury/holy build still a little underwhelming. What's the best one all the holy crusaders around here have been using? Just need to make sure I'm "doing it right".

This.

traveler

Not Wario
Thanks. I'll give it a shot if I can ever get my hero list.

Now I need a holy soj, holy set of bracers, holy amulet, and holy andariels.

Separate topic- at which point does Divine Fortress become preferable to other mitigation passives? I had been running vigilant for some extra mitigation before because my shield only has 11% block chance and the block amount tier below max, but I see DF being used in a lot of builds.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
BF's dmg does scale with more attack speed, so you effectively get closer to +60%, but other than that, yeah - very underwhelming and I've yet to see anyone actually use it on higher torment levels.

Definitely could use some more +dmg passives

E: Plussity plus about OWE - go Blizzard! :/

Have you checked blinding flash recently? It was changed from the old weapon damage buff with the 0.3*APS scaling into a flat 30% "damage increased by skills" bonus on the character sheet. Then again, I haven't checked again since the beta, so maybe I'm wrong.

Kyoufu

I seem to be getting every weapon except for the ones that I want/need. Shard, Thunderfury, Odyn etc. don't want to show me any love at all. :(

Yeah I thought that blizz comment was pretty laughable. It's been their stance with monk for a long time though. We've always been in a good spot in their eye.

Welp, consider my post irrelevant then.

Monks return to perfection.

Lol ... honestly ( I think dan would agree here) I think the biggest issue the monk class has defensively is our lack of ability to dodge anything that kills us. If we actually dodged ground effects and such we wouldn't be having this convo.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did they nerf Prodigy somehow? My arcane regen is slow as fuck.

Dahbomb

Welp, consider my post irrelevant then.

Monks return to perfection.

They aren't perfect. I made a post before but here are some things I would like to see changed/added/tweaked.

*Holy damage and Physical damage build Monk are currently garbage. It's garbage because their main Spirit spender move (LTK) does not have a Holy damage variant and their Physical damage variant is garbage (so you are stuck using the unruned version).

*Wave of Light has all Holy variants and only one Physical damage variant. But WoL sucks as a Spirit Spender so they need to buff that ASAP. Otherwise people are just using LTK as their main Spirit spender.

*That just leaves Fire, Cold and Lightning Monk. Cold Monk is underwhelming mostly because of the fact that there are a lack of good Cold Legendaries for Monk (they can use Utar's Roar, Azurewrath and Frost Guantlets but these are still less options than Lightning/Fire Monks). That and the Cold variation of Sweeping Wind kinda sucks. Overall though there is no inherent advantage using Cold over Fire or Lightning as generally speaking the Cold variations of a skill are inferior over their Fire/Lightning counter parts.

*Fire Monk is very good because there are many Legendary options, same for Lightning Monk. The problem comes when you have to choose Spirit Generators. Very few Fire damage Spirit Runes and Lightning damage generators are almost all with Fist of Thunder (with like maybe one Lightning Rune in some other generator). Most people don't even bother with a fire/lightning spirit generator and just use the best generator there is anyway. Most spirit generators are Physical damage but like I said before, Physical Monk sucks.

*Resource cost on long cooldown skills is absurd. This is mostly about Seven Sided Strike.

TL:DR version:

*Elemental variety in Spirit generators suck.
*Elemental variety in Wave of Light suck.
*No good Physical/Holy damage variant for LTK.
*No good Holy/Cold damage variant for Sweeping Wind
*No Holy damage Epiphany variant.
*Not enough Legendaries that boost Holy damage or Physical damage compared to the other 3 options.
*Shoehorned into using 3 Elements (and one of them is underwhelming even if you have synergies) when they are capable of using 5.
*Resource Cost on Seven Sided Strike is bull shit.
*Monks only have 2 real Spirit spenders... LTK and WoL. This really limits their design and playstyle. Exploding Palm is more of a utility skill and Tempest Rush is a skill that requires a very specific build which even optimized is not very good for high Torment levels. Like said before WoL sucks in comparison to LTK due to it's high cost so Monks are shoehorned into using LTK as their main spender.

Did they nerf Prodigy somehow? My arcane regen is slow as fuck.
Yes.

Prodigy

Bug Fix: Fixed an issue where Electrocute was granting double the intended amount of Arcane Power when used with Prodigy

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Think I'm going to bring my demon hunter up for speed running bounties. Need to finish my renaissance man tour here... just the crusader left after that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Right, so what's the best arcane power regen skill now?

Shifty76

Have you checked blinding flash recently? It was changed from the old weapon damage buff with the 0.3*APS scaling into a flat 30% "damage increased by skills" bonus on the character sheet. Then again, I haven't checked again since the beta, so maybe I'm wrong.

Ah, I haven't actually. Should get to that I guess before I go spouting off stuff that may or may not still be accurate!

Yoshichan

Oh. I already salvaged that.

edit: nevermind, I have that equipped right now... it's still slow as fuck. Piece of shit class atm. Switching.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Go to the gym! :D Time to level up my own body

Here's the comic:

HellYeah_mystic2.jpg

They really need to do something about sockets being the single most desirable (required) attribute of a weapon. Not sure what they could do, though. Crit damage % bonus is just too valuable.

Discobird

is that treasure goblin ring actually worth it? it seems to take forever to get 12 whites.
I lost 2% damage with it, but gained 10% toughness, So I'll go with it for the time being

The passive is not as great as it sounds since it resets on new games and when you die.

That said, I'm still using my lvl 61 version since I simply haven't found anything better for the slot.

My goblin has dropped one legendary that I've observed in about 60 hours of playtime wearing the ring.

They really need to do something about sockets being the single most desirable (required) attribute of a weapon. Not sure what they could do, though. Crit damage % bonus is just too valuable.

The whole concept of critchance and critdamage as normal affixes should have never been included. They will always be the "must-have" stats on almost any item.

It really hurts the variety of game. Found a fun Legendary Amulet with some special properties?
Into the trash bin, because it doesnt have 100% critdamage and 10%critchance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom