• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Penny

For Monk add more elemental runes and reduce spirit amount required to use skills / increase spirit generating amounts that way you can actually use the stuff that does big damage a lot instead of having to hit 3 times just to use a special skill. Then you would see people using more skills but the cost doesn't even out on many of the skills.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Crusaders are pretty awesome. A friend power leveled me up from 20 to 70 yesterday and I threw on some stuff I had stored away and I'm already doing about as good, if not better, than the Barbarian I've almost exclusively played up until now.

With that said, I don't really know what types of builds/skills are considered good for Crusaders. Would anyone mind taking a look at my current set up and providing some advice?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zefah-1313/hero/43565124

I'm currently focusing on Lightning skills since I have some items that give me a +45% damage bonus, but I'd be willing to explore other options.

Thorhald

Crusaders are pretty awesome. A friend power leveled me up from 20 to 70 yesterday and I threw on some stuff I had stored away and I'm already doing about as good, if not better, than the Barbarian I've almost exclusively played up until now.

With that said, I don't really know what types of builds/skills are considered good for Crusaders. Would anyone mind taking a look at my current set up and providing some advice?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Zefah-1313/hero/43565124

I'm currently focusing on Lightning skills since I have some items that give me a +45% damage bonus, but I'd be willing to explore other options.

I take it your Barb doesn't have Shard of Hate? Once I got that, I immediately went back to my Barb and have never looked back.

jkanownik

Does anyone know a good approximation of the All resist / HP / Life per sec ratio for optimized survivability?

There isn't a set formula. All resists has diminishing returns over 700%. Optimally you'd get a balanced set of single resists as secondaries freeing up primary stats for damage then HP then life per second as a last resort. You can play around with paragon life regeneration to see the impact there.

Dahbomb

They'd be decent if you rerolled regen. But they'd still essentially be a 3 stat item with only decent and zero survivability.

And the fact that any good rare gloves would be better is just absolutely ridiculous imo.
It would not be a 3 stat item it would be a 4 stat DPS item. Unless you are one of those asshats who puts so much weight on sheet DPS.

Any Rare would not be better. For one Rare Gloves don't roll that high main stat. Secondly Rares don't get those set bonuses. This is a much more valuable piece than even a trifecta glove because of those bonuses.

And no one gets Gloves for survivability so I don't understand that comment about it not having survivability. You pretty much always want all DPS stats on Gloves and your glove has potentially 4 of them. If you think these Gloves are bad then you should Salvage them immediately because you don't see their worth.

Fularu

Banned
It would not be a 3 stat item it would be a 4 stat DPS item. Unless you are one of those asshats who puts so much weight on sheet DPS.

Any Rare would not be better. For one Rare Gloves don't roll that high main stat. Secondly Rares don't get those set bonuses. This is a much more valuable piece that even a trifecta glove because of those bonuses.

And no one gets Gloves for survivability so I don't understand that comment about it not having survivability. You pretty much always want all DPS stats on Gloves and your glove has potentially 4 of them. If you think these Gloves are bad then you should Salvage them immediately because you don't see their worth.
You can make a point without calling him an asshat (Like V_Arnold did 10 times better anyway)

Dahbomb

You can make a point without calling him an asshat (Like V_Arnold did 10 times better anyway)
Didn't call him one, just those people who put too much stock into sheet DPS.

Judging by his post he wanted more survivability which means that he is probably a Hardcore player in which he can just roll a stat into Vit or something. Wizards aren't starved for AR anyway.

Kadin

Is Thundergod worth the loss of 6.7% dmg since I'm using Electrocute/Lightning Blast? I know the skill doesn't do a ton of dmg and Frozen Orb is my spender, but I do use it a lot.

mDDFmKS.jpg

Fularu

Banned
Didn't call him one, just those people who put too much stock into sheet DPS.
Don't dance around the fact. Saying "unless you are one of those asshats" is calling him one.

People have different opinions and play this game differently. Trickster plays HC from what I remember, he WANTS defensive stats and values them.

V_Arnold

In comparison, here is my Vyr Gloves.

Now that I think about it...maybe Ill use it for the 2-set bonus if the Chest also drops.

People have different opinions and play this game differently. Trickster plays HC from what I remember, he WANTS defensive stats and values them.

He should go and farm out Ashaera set ASAP then. It is pure magic.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I take it your Barb doesn't have Shard of Hate? Once I got that, I immediately went back to my Barb and have never looked back.

Definitely don't have that. It looks insane, though, and apparently is what takes a Barbarian from trash-class to best-class.

I still haven't been lucky enough to get any of the "god-tier" items that seem to be essential in so many builds and get posted in every thread on the Blizzard forms.

Discobird

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/prodystopian-1605/hero/46102390

Got a really nice xbow to drop! Chest, pants, bracers, amulet, gloves are all from my monk, but with that stuff she is already to go to T1. Ran a few rifts without much trouble.

Nice!

If you ever use Rain of Vengeance or FOK you'll want to move the Balefire to your mainhand since those skills calculate their damage off your MH only.

How is your resource management working out? I've contemplated farming for the shrine gloves to replace Magefists for the 10 min empowered shrines.

Dahbomb

Don't dance around the fact. Saying "unless you are one of those asshats" is calling him one.

Then roll the Area damage into Vitality. Then he will have 4 survivability stats on it (Intelligence, secondary resistance, life Regen and Vitality).

Unless he is mad that it didn't roll 5 defensive stats in which case I don't know what to say.

Nice!

If you ever use Rain of Vengeance or FOK you'll want to move the Balefire to your mainhand since those skills calculate their damage off your MH only.

How is your resource management working out? I've contemplated farming for the shrine gloves to replace Magefists for the 10 min empowered shrines.

Thanks, noted.

Pretty good. I spam CA and run out of hatred on elites, but the reaper's wraps and vengeance - seethe help me get it back up quickly.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Is Thundergod worth the loss of 6.7% dmg since I'm using Electrocute/Lightning Blast? I know the skill doesn't do a ton of dmg and Frozen Orb is my spender, but I do use it a lot.

Well think of it this way, that 7% doesn't really mean your 1 million crits will now do 930k, since the main difference is that the damage gain is coming from IAS. What it means is that your net 1mil crit will come 7% slower. Which if you ask me is not as good as having 15% more damage on your generator and the proc which does 100% weapon damage when hit.

Basically thundergod is worth more than 7% IAS in my eyes.

When factoring damage changes from gear you have to ask yourself where the changes are coming from and how they're working. A peice of gear that has less int and crit damage but gains 5% attack speed it previously didn't have then it will typically show up as a damage increase. But since few fights in diablo 3 benefit from sustained over burst you could argue that it's either just as good or worse.

My 2 cents on gearing.

Wolfie5

Damn, I got 5 leg and a set item from one rift at T2. 4 legs dropped within a minute of play, it was ridiculus. I couldn´t believe it. BUT, all 5 legs were pretty much crap and only set item was interesting. It was a Jade boot, which makes it my second Jade item.

Than played 2 more rifts and got another 3 legs. Set amulet and a set mojo, but not good rolls.Thats 9 legs in maybe one hour play, not bad, but not an upgrade either.

Trickster

Then roll the Area damage into Vitality. Then he will have 4 survivability stats on it (Intelligence, secondary resistance, life Regen and Vitality).

Unless he is mad that it didn't roll 5 defensive stats in which case I don't know what to say.

healing stats are utterly useless due to how bad they are comparitively to dps or toughness stats. You'd have to invest so many stat slots on various items into it before it becomes a legitemately helpful survival tool. You're always better off by going for toughness stat over healing stat.

And no I'm not mad it didn't roll 5 defensive stats. That would be insane to want on a dps gear slot. What you want for stats on softcore and hardcore is practically the same. The only big difference is that you don't want to use sub par items like those vyr gloves. You'd much rather have some gloves that might give you slighty less dps, but a good chunk more toughness. That's really the only difference.

What I'm mad about in regards to those gloves. Is that they, along with all the other torment only items, are pretty rare compared to all the common legendary trash that get insta salvaged 99% of the time. So when one does drop. It should be a moment of excitement. But that's really not the case unless you either get extremely lucky on the roll, or you just get lucky and get them on a pretty poorly geared character.

Shifty76

Actually I'm looking for my barb set! Weapons come and go but set items? Nope!

But rings, stop giving me rings 2 out of 3 times already. Even my followers have SoJs now

I dislike you intensely right now...

Random drops or Kadala? All I want is just one SoJ...

Kadin

Well think of it this way, that 7% doesn't really mean your 1 million crits will now do 930k, since the main difference is that the damage gain is coming from IAS. What it means is that your net 1mil crit will come 7% slower. Which if you ask me is not as good as having 15% more damage on your generator and the proc which does 100% weapon damage when hit.

Basically thundergod is worth more than 7% IAS in my eyes.

When factoring damage changes from gear you have to ask yourself where the changes are coming from and how they're working. A peice of gear that has less int and crit damage but gains 5% attack speed it previously didn't have then it will typically show up as a damage increase. But since few fights in diablo 3 benefit from sustained over burst you could argue that it's either just as good or worse.

My 2 cents on gearing.
That puts IAS into better perspective for me, thanks. The immediate loss of sheet dps always has an impact on my eyes and I'm trying to look a bit more at the 'whole picture' rather than at first glance. With that said, my only other to say is that I'm pretty weak right now with toughness so there's a definite advantage to killing enemies quicker which obviously the IAS does help.

I'll use both and see if either gives a better feel but I'm leaning towards the Thundergod.

scy

I've gotten 66% of my sojs from kadala. Maybe try her? :)

Possibly. At this point, I've just kind of accepted I probably won't get one until I start dumping all my shards into Rings.

Currently, I just really, really, really want to see one of the big 2H gamechanging Weapons so I'm dumping my shards there. And then probably Amulets because I still use a lousy Rare trifecta. My Ring is basically just waiting for me to sit down and waste all my souls on my Oculus until its 9% IAS/50 CHD/-13% Elite.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
That puts IAS into better perspective for me, thanks. The immediate loss of sheet dps always has an impact on my eyes and I'm trying to look a bit more at the 'whole picture' rather than at first glance. With that said, my only other to say is that I'm pretty weak right now with toughness so there's a definite advantage to killing enemies quicker which obviously the IAS does help.

I'll use both and see if either gives a better feel but I'm leaning towards the Thundergod.

Sure, glad that post was of value in some way. On the topic of toughness and sheet toughness though keep in mind stats like vit and life% inflate your sheet toughness without contributing to your actual toughness relative to all res. If you ask me HP boosting stats tend to be a bit unnecessary after 375k - 400k health.

In my opinion the best ways to be more sturdy are res all, armor and life per resource spent.

Not to mention passive skills.

I still love my crusader, but I'll admit they are harder to gear up to par with other characters. Even then, they're still likely to be the slowest moving character in a party.

I've played a lot more of my WD the past three days and I'm happy with where the class is right now. I'm running a fairly generic pet build with some success, despite not having near the gear level my crusader does. I also feel like Usain Bolt zooming around at 25% move speed and keeping up with all the other classes.

scy

In my opinion the best ways to be more sturdy are res all, armor and life per resource spent.

Not to mention passive skills.

Just to add, -Melee/Ranged Damage% and Reduced Elite Damage% help a lot as well and should be somewhere on your gear when you start wanting to move to T4+.

Dahbomb

healing stats are utterly useless due to how bad they are comparitively to dps or toughness stats. You'd have to invest so many stat slots on various items into it before it becomes a legitemately helpful survival tool. You're always better off by going for toughness stat over healing stat.

And no I'm not mad it didn't roll 5 defensive stats. That would be insane to want on a dps gear slot. What you want for stats on softcore and hardcore is practically the same. The only big difference is that you don't want to use sub par items like those vyr gloves. You'd much rather have some gloves that might give you slighty less dps, but a good chunk more toughness. That's really the only difference.

What I'm mad about in regards to those gloves. Is that they, along with all the other torment only items, are pretty rare compared to all the common legendary trash that get insta salvaged 99% of the time. So when one does drop. It should be a moment of excitement. But that's really not the case unless you either get extremely lucky on the roll, or you just get lucky and get them on a pretty poorly geared character.

I see what you are saying but you have to realize that Set items are valued differently because of those set bonuses. A set item can have mediocre stats but combined with another set piece and it will out perform 2 Rares by a margin. People will equip mediocre set items if the 3-4 bonus is godly because they usually make up for the difference in stats.

Like two Hallowed weapons for a Monk individually are slightly better Rares but combined they give a considerable 100 All res and 10% IAS. Two Rares can never compete with that.

Mugaaz

Just to add, -Melee/Ranged Damage% and Reduced Elite Damage% help a lot as well and should be somewhere on your gear when you start wanting to move to T4+.

This and increased dmg to elites are some of the best mods to get as your gear starts getting decent. People only care about sheet stats though, so they seem to ignore these.

Here's an observation I had yesterday. Basically, all shoulders in this game are shit, unless they're part of a set. If you don't have a set shoulder already, getting Aughild shoulder + helm with ring of royal g is much, much better than random lego shoulder + andariels helm if you were using ring of royal already. People are obsessed by IAS + elemental + cc on andariels, I get it. However, if you can't take advantage of the proc if you're a ranged class, then do this math - 15% elite dmg + 6% cc + 15%skill + dmg reduc set mods VS 20% element + 6%cc + x%ias on Andariels + worthless bonus on your shoulder. I find Aughilds is usually the victor, and its very easy to farm the mats and make really, really nice pieces.

(remember you need to factor in your other skill/elemental bonuses)

jblank83

Aughild's is definitely my next goal. The set bonuses are too good.

And good advice on the shoulders + etc advice. Aughild's shoulders is a wise first step.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
crafting set boots + shoulders is also a hood move if the set youre after allows it. Since like shoulders, boots are also nigh impossible to screw up. All they really need is ability damage, you can make the movespeed with paragon points.

scy

This and increased dmg to elites are some of the best mods to get as your gear starts getting decent. People only care about sheet stats though, so they seem to ignore these.

Here's an observation I had yesterday. Basically, all shoulders in this game are shit, unless they're part of a set. If you don't have a set shoulder already, getting Aughild shoulder + helm with ring of royal g is much, much better than random lego shoulder + andariels helm if you were using ring of royal already. People are obsessed by IAS + elemental + cc on andariels, I get it. However, if you can't take advantage of the proc if you're a ranged class, then do this math - 15% elite dmg + 6% cc + 15%skill + dmg reduc set mods VS 20% element + 6%cc + x%ias on Andariels + worthless bonus on your shoulder. I find Aughilds is usually the victor, and its very easy to farm the mats and make really, really nice pieces.

(remember you need to factor in your other skill/elemental bonuses)

I use Asheara's Shoulder / Gloves / Legs on my Crusader with Aughild's Chest / Bracers for my Lightning Crusader. 1H (+ Provoke) so my Wrath consumption doesn't necessitate Reaper's and this gives me Thundergod's + Andariel's for the bonus. If not for Thundergod's (and even that's getting debatable these days), Captain Crimson's Boots + Belt would finish things off. Or Blackthorne, though I'd have to find a way to get a third piece for the best bonus there.

Honestly, Aughild's is going to end up being a mainstay for every class I think. It uses the aforementioned useless Shoulder slot really well and every build can usually find a way to fit in one of Chest / Helm / Bracer and the bonuses you get are really nice.

Javaman

Do crafted set pieces have preset primary stats (strength or intellegence etc) or is it based on loot 2 and generate it based on the character that crafts it?

scy

Do crafted set pieces have preset primary stats (strength or intellegence etc) or is it based on loot 2 and generate it based on the character that crafts it?

While I've definitely crafted pieces with no main stat, I don't think I've ever crafted a single DEX/INT piece in something like 100+ crafts on my Crusader.

Edit: Oh. And there's no preset primaries on them. They're just random affixes. Some slots have presets (e.g., Aughild's Helm will always roll 91+ All Resist) but none of them are set main stat.

Dahbomb

Shoulder for set bonus is a no brainer. Aughild's/Asheara's Shoulders are amazing especially when combined with another plus that Ring.

It's not uncommon for people to go for Aughild + Asheara or one of those plus a class set.

nbraun80

So do we think there's a chance they'll nerf having to use flawless imperial gems to reroll legendary jewelry like they did with crafting certain sets? I think its a bit ridiculous that it basically costs 1million for your first roll on them.

cdyhybrid

So do we think there's a chance they'll nerf having to use flawless imperial gems to reroll legendary jewelry like they did with crafting certain sets? I think its a bit ridiculous that it basically costs 1million for your first roll on them.

I dunno, Blizzard loves their gold sinks.

Javaman

While I've definitely crafted pieces with no main stat, I don't think I've ever crafted a single DEX/INT piece in something like 100+ crafts on my Crusader.

Edit: Oh. And there's no preset primaries on them. They're just random affixes. Some slots have presets (e.g., Aughild's Helm will always roll 91+ All Resist) but none of them are set main stat.

Just so I'm clear, it's still important to craft the set pieces with the character you're using them on?

Trickster

I see what you are saying but you have to realize that Set items are valued differently because of those set bonuses. A set item can have mediocre stats but combined with another set piece and it will out perform 2 Rares by a margin. People will equip mediocre set items if the 3-4 bonus is godly because they usually make up for the difference in stats.

Like two Hallowed weapons for a Monk individually are slightly better Rares but combined they give a considerable 100 All res and 10% IAS. Two Rares can never compete with that.

It's true that the set bonuses can help make set items worth using, despite being individually worse than the items they are replacing. But even then. I have no idea when I might find the next piece of the Vyr set. This was my first piece since release. And I've played this game heavily since RoS came out.

And even if I do find another piece, most likely that piece will also be worse than whatever I have in that slot as well. And at that point, sure, maybe the 500 int set bonus will still make the 2 Vyr pieces better overall. But that's not really certain.

I just really don't think something like the Vyr's gloves that I got, feel like something that belongs in a "torment only" category of items. They are litterally no different from the standard craftable legendary gloves or the ones you can find on normal difficulty. They roll in exactly the same stat range. The only thing that makes the torment only sets interesting are the set bonuses. Which in my mind is very counter productive to the idea of making torment only items desirable. It's just not exciting to find a torment only item, that can only roll stats like all the non torment only items you've already found can. They need to be exciting to find even though you don't already have several pieces of that set laying in your stash, rotting and waiting for you to get that specific number of pieces that gives you enough to unlock the only thing that makes all those items exciting.

The stats you get depend on the class you craft them with. A wizard will make it possible to get int and wizard skill dmg ( if it's a slot that can have skill dmg affixes ), and so on depending on what class you craft the set item with.

scy

Just so I'm clear, it's still important to craft the set pieces with the character you're using them on?

Yeah. Sorry, I probably should have just worded it that way. The stats you get are tailored to the character who crafts it.

They need to be exciting to find even though you don't already have several pieces of that set laying in your stash, rotting and waiting for you to get that specific number of pieces that gives you enough to unlock the only thing that makes all those items exciting.

It makes sense to me that the crafted Sets are basically just Legendary stat pools but with a set bonus to go with them.

The dropped sets, however? They really should have something small on top. Or, at the very least, more Set bonuses on them. They're basically just Legendary stat pool values and then their Set bonuses. Just kind of another example of the missed opportunities in the Legendary itemization in RoS.

Dahbomb

I asked this before but does someone have an eDPS calculator spread sheet? I know it was posted on here, would really like to use it.

Basically trying to figure out if Shenlong Fist 2 set is better for me than a standard Legendary fist item plus a Burning Axe of Sankis without Dex (I have 68% Fire damage without the Burning Axe).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom