• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

RNG going to RNG. Just finished my 10th rift on my DH with no legendaries and no forgotten souls.

Every single blood shard spent on chests trying for a cindercoat with nothing as well.

Wheee. On the flip side, my crusader gets stuff all the time. It's almost like the game wants you to abandon your most played character and branch out.

edit: I'm halfway tempted to level a completely new DH and use my existing's gear just to test this theory.

10 rifts? Not a single leg or FS?

Jesus I know nothing about this game

Know this

• RNG - No it's not broken on X day even if on Y day you were getting Z amount of legs and now you're not. Code doesn't really arbitrary break like that.
  • Classes - No matter what class you role there will be someone having more fun with their class and will make the game look easy because of their insane gear. Asking to nerf their class won't bring any joy to your toon.
  • Time between good loot - Yes in the beginning you were getting all kinds of upgrades, now you go <insert exaggerated lapse of time> between legs drops. This how how ARPGs work, welcome to the grind. Before you have a minor meltdown on the forums, curse Blizzard and declare you quit because you haven't gotten a leg drop in 2 hours (oh the hue manatee!) just remember for many of us there was a time in which we would go months without seeing a legendary and when they did drop they weren't really better than what we had.
  • Leah - We all hate her, you do too. This is absolute truth.
  • Crusaders - They still suck, they just suck less than before.
  • Wizards - Still best class in the game, most diverse with the most options to change up playstyle. And no, Frozen Orb is not "utterly useless" now; don't listen to anyone who states otherwise. And despite soooo many people wanting this diversity to be nerfed under the guise of "overtuned". That build diversity and having those options is something the new D3 team has envisioned for all classes, so expect more and more classes to updates to reflect that. Ironically even Wizards are being pigeonholed into Fire damage because blizzard!
  • Clans - There is no room in <GAF> so this will be the reason why no one will respond to your request for an invite to it, however there might be room in <GAFMAX>.
Welcome to Diablo III. Kill shit, get phat lewtz, curse Kadala, laugh at Leah, repeat

Discobird

Over the weekend, I just wanted 1 of anything from this list that I haven't seen since the start of RoS:

Ice Climbers
Moonlight Ward (would probably have bad rolls anyway)
Countess Julia's Cameo (would probably have bad rolls anyway)
Magefists or Cindercoat (I'd have no problem switching to fire if one of these dropped)
Another Firebird's set piece (I have the pants but am waiting on another piece to use them)
2 more Tal's set pieces (I have the armor but it's worse than my Blackthorne's - would use for the 3 piece bonus)
Witching Hour
Andarial's Visage
Shard of Hate (just to try it. haven't seen one yet...)

Sucks to go a whole weekend with no upgrades :/

If it's any consolation, the underlined items are believed to be much rarer than other legendaries of their type, so you shouldn't be too surprised you haven't seen them before. Neither I nor my clanmates have seen any of them except for a couple guys with a Countess Julia's Cameo.

Magefists and Cindercoat are pretty gamble-able so keep at it. BTW if you need fast rift keys try and find a split farming normal difficulty group, you can easily average 5 keys every 5 minutes or so.

Chanser

Thanks Kadala!

screenshot018xxk2b.jpg

Now where to re-roll for socket.

Discobird

Guys hold my hands... never gone this high trying to enchant something before. Went from 50+ souls to 0 and now thinking I should just take the vitality instead of trying for crit :(

yAGbx0z.jpg

Looks like you have plenty of gold to keep going, at least. Crit chance is worth it.

I spent 56 souls and 75M gold trying to get a socket on my Danetta's Revenge. Got the socket on literally my last soul after exhausting my supply + crappy stashed legendaries I probably wasn't going to use anyway. CC on a helm is not as essential as sockets on a weapon but if souls are the only thing limiting you I say keep going for it.

Sucks to go a whole weekend with no upgrades :/

If it's any consolation, the underlined items are believed to be much rarer than other legendaries of their type, so you shouldn't be too surprised you haven't seen them before. Neither I nor my clanmates have seen any of them except for a couple guys with a Countess Julia's Cameo.

Magefists and Cindercoat are pretty gamble-able so keep at it. BTW if you need fast rift keys try and find a split farming normal difficulty group, you can easily average 5 keys every 5 minutes or so.

A week without an upgrade. In fact, a week ago I was even stronger than I am now. But that's because I switched to a different build to try and keep things interesting.

I feel like Ice Climbers are so damn essential for me that I'm willing to gamble on boots until I see them. I HATE jailer and I HATE frozen. They cause 90% of my deaths easily. Removing those from my concerns would change the game so much for me. Having the amulet that makes arcane heal me would be icing on the cake... but I'm not holding my breath.

garath

10 rifts? Not a single leg or FS?

This was over the space of a week. 3 here, 2 there, 1 there.

I may have had one legendary bracer drop. Definitely no forgotten souls (I've only gotten a forgotten soul drop TWICE ever from a rift guardian). Absolutely nothing in the last 4 for sure. I did the last 4 yesterday and today.

That's probability for you.

A week without an upgrade. In fact, a week ago I was even stronger than I am now. But that's because I switched to a different build to try and keep things interesting.

I feel like Ice Climbers are so damn essential for me that I'm willing to gamble on boots until I see them. I HATE jailer and I HATE frozen. They cause 90% of my deaths easily. Removing those from my concerns would change the game so much for me. Having the amulet that makes arcane heal me would be icing on the cake... but I'm not holding my breath.

I randomly have about a 70% reduction on control effects and it's super effective. I fear less too. Anyway ... Something to think about.

Edit: I got a band of the rue chambers ring this weekend. It's rad for spirit gen.

GoldChain

I seem to be losing money faster than I am making it in this expansion. Went from 30mill to 11mill now on enchanting and gems.

Is there a way to make a decent amount of money in this game?

Discobird

I seem to be losing money faster than I am making it in this expansion. Went from 30mill to 11mill now on enchanting and gems.

Is there a way to make a decent amount of money in this game?

I dunno if this has changed lately but people used to do T6, Act IV, "Clear the Hell Rift" bounty--run through level 1 and clear level 2 easily since it's all melee trash mobs with no elites. 420k gold per run I think.

codecow

This is my first weekend with no upgrades as well, it's kind of harsh. The next thing I am shooting for is a Cindercoat, honestly unless you're really lucky you're going to want all the fire pieces you can get including Andariel's, Magefist, Triumverate/Firebird's, etc...

I have burned through about 600 shards now looking for Cindercoat which is not really much, I did get a legendary and a set but they both sucked.

I still need (in order):

Cindercoat
Andariel's with fire
Pox Faulds
Firebird's source, although mine is OK so not a big deal
New boots, preferably Ice Climbers - need source so I can keep 2p bonus
Strongarm Bracer

I have a feeling it will take many many hours played just to get Cindercoat.

Mugaaz

Know this

• Wizards - Still best class in the game, most diverse with the most options to change up playstyle. And no, Frozen Orb is not "utterly useless" now; don't listen to anyone who states otherwise. And despite soooo many people wanting this diversity to be nerfed under the guise of "overtuned". That build diversity and having those options is something the new D3 team has envisioned for all classes, so expect more and more classes to updates to reflect that. Ironically even Wizards are being pigeonholed into Fire damage because blizzard!

• IMHO, wizards are tied with monk for 2nd worst class in the game, with crusader winning worst.
    All the wizard builds that have very high dps require them being immobile, except for Wand of Woh fire build.
    All the wizard gear sets are shit in comparison to other classes. People think Tal Rashas is the bees knees, but its. Even under perfect circumstances the DPS from Tal Rasha is subpar compared to what other class sets enable.
    Even when a wizard has as good dps or tanking as one of the other classes, they still clear a map slower on T4-6, unless they use wand of woh build, because they need to go immobile so often, and teleport is not as good as a movement ability.

Here is why people are confused. Most of the wizard builds have very low gear requirements to enable, and those builds are very effective at t1 with this low level of gear. Other classes gear requirements are much, much higher in order to enable them to get to this level of base Wizard. However, the other classes ceiling is much higher, and they honestly do have the same amount of builds as wizard, just gated behind multiple pieces of extremely rare gear.

Discobird

Level a crusader to 70 in adventure mode and start running through story mode on normal and up to Diablo, I already have as much sheet dps as my DH......

Yeah but sheet DPS generally goes so much further on a DH. My DH with 900K kills four times faster than my well-geared crusader buddy with 1.5M. It's not a very useful measure as I'm sure you know.

garath

Yeah but sheet DPS generally goes so much further on a DH. My DH with 900K kills four times faster than my well-geared crusader buddy with 1.5M. It's not a very useful measure as I'm sure you know.

True but the point is my crusader is nearly as well geared as my DH in about 1/100th the time played lol. :(

edit: 1/100th is an exaggeration.

79% time played DH
9% time played Crusader

Fularu

Banned
Legendaries that increase your DPS by 3x are about the limit of what I can handle. Of course SoH in some builds does way more than that even so it's clearly ahead of the pack.

They should definitely be buffing some of the crappier Legendaries though but there has to be some limit to how good a Legendary can be. Otherwise we are just reaching into joke of a game territory where the difference between T1 and T6 is one item.
You need a whole set of items to do t6. SoH on its own (or even coupled with TF/thundergod) won't make you T6 able, the set items (and bonuses) do.

Without those, T6 is a pipedream because in 3 months no one will give a fuck about T1

eek5

True but the point is my crusader is nearly as well geared as my DH in about 1/100th the time played lol. :(

edit: 1/100th is an exaggeration.

79% time played DH
9% time played Crusader

The majority of my playtime has been on monk since RoS dropped and my WD is way better than my monk now and my DH is probably close to surpassing him.

I'm thinking of just dropping monk and playing WD for rifts and DH to farm mats at this point.

jblank83

IMHO, wizards are tied with monk for 2nd worst class in the game, with crusader winning worst.

I'm not sure if they're 2nd worst, but I laugh when people whine about Wizards. I've been grouping T3 rifts and am easily outpaced in damage by Barbarians and Witch Doctors. All this while being very squishy and dying the most in any group. Nor is my gear crappy. It's pretty decent, though I do need a little more survivability.

I randomly have about a 70% reduction on control effects and it's super effective. I fear less too. Anyway ... Something to think about.

Edit: I got a band of the rue chambers ring this weekend. It's rad for spirit gen.

Isn't that a secondary stat? I feel like I rarely have any control over those since the primary stats are so damn crucial. I've yet to find an item that rolled so well that I could actually focus on secondaries.

Trading really needs to be worked back into the game. There were some items in D2 that I never found at all, but it was fine because I did find some good items that I could trade for them. The problem with D3 in it's current state is that you get to a point and feel stuck, with not many alternative ways to find gear. Kadala is fine but the odds of finding the exact item you need for most builds is slim. At least with the mystic though you can reroll rare items if they don't come with some of the stats you desire. Regardless, without trading I can see a lot of people losing long term interest in playing this. Once the upgrades stop coming you get bored and roll another class or quit.

They should give items a 48 hour trade window, also not allow rerolled items to be traded. Just throwing an idea out there

Is it me or does crusader clear speed slow as hell? Joined public games, witnessed DH with the same dps as mine (800k+ unbuff) does more damage than I. Wizard with much lower dps (500k) does more damage than I.
Also that heavenly strength makes me walk 15% slower than everyone else.
I feel like crusader needs a damage buff on resource spenders. 340% weapon damage on fist of heaven is too low. It should be at least 400+. Take a look at monk, fire kick does 600+ @ cost of 30 spirit. Bell drop does 473+79 @ 40 spirit with rune
DH cluster arrow does 770 +(220*4) @ 40 hatred

DSmalls84

Is it me or does crusader clear speed slow as hell? Joined public games, witnessed DH with the same dps as mine (800k+ unbuff) does more damage than I. Wizard with much lower dps (500k) does more damage than I.
I feel like crusader needs a damage buff on resource spenders. 340% weapon damage on fist of heaven is too low. It should be at least 400+. Take a look at monk, fire kick does 600+ @ cost of 30 spirit. Bell drop does 473+79 @ 40 spirit with rune

Pretty much agree on all counts. I was thinking the other day that FOHs damage output still didn't seem great for the resource cost. I also run all of my builds with steed because of the mobility issues. That at least lets me keep up with most groups.

Moff

Kadala is a harsh mistress, I finalle got a +2 missile mirrorball from her, but with far less damage on it than my +1 mirrorball

Trading really needs to be worked back into the game. There were some items in D2 that I never found at all, but it was fine because I did find some good items that I could trade for them. The problem with D3 in it's current state is that you get to a point and feel stuck, with not many alternative ways to find gear. Kadala is fine but the odds of finding the exact item you need for most builds is slim. At least with the mystic though you can reroll rare items if they don't come with some of the stats you desire. Regardless, without trading I can see a lot of people losing long term interest in playing this. Once the upgrades stop coming you get bored and roll another class or quit.

Keeping bots out and avoiding gold selling\item selling seems more of a priority to Blizzard.

It's nice to know that every item someone has was found and not bought... but the lack of trading really is brutal sometimes. Especially now that I've hit a wall and everything I find is something I already found or completely useless....

Celegus

Keeping bots out and avoiding gold selling\item selling seems more of a priority to Blizzard.

It's nice to know that every item someone has was found and not bought... but the lack of trading really is brutal sometimes.

I think it's fine as is. If you could trade, you would just see even more and more of the same cookie cutter builds you already see. I don't get what's so bad about doing the best with what you've gotten by yourself, not every single person needs to have the absolute best equipment in the game.

IMHO, wizards are tied with monk for 2nd worst class in the game, with crusader winning worst.
All the wizard builds that have very high dps require them being immobile, except for Wand of Woh fire build.
All the wizard gear sets are shit in comparison to other classes. People think Tal Rashas is the bees knees, but its. Even under perfect circumstances the DPS from Tal Rasha is subpar compared to what other class sets enable.
Even when a wizard has as good dps or tanking as one of the other classes, they still clear a map slower on T4-6, unless they use wand of woh build, because they need to go immobile so often, and teleport is not as good as a movement ability.

Here is why people are confused. Most of the wizard builds have very low gear requirements to enable, and those builds are very effective at t1 with this low level of gear. Other classes gear requirements are much, much higher in order to enable them to get to this level of base Wizard. However, the other classes ceiling is much higher, and they honestly do have the same amount of builds as wizard, just gated behind multiple pieces of extremely rare gear.

I actually think they might be the worst (for high torment). Monks can go crazy once they get SoH too, it's just not barbs that can go ham with it. They also can make good use of the Furnace which basically has crushing blows on it. The wiz has pretty crap non-channeling spenders and thier sets and legs just aren't as amazing as other classes. There is so much potential for crazy legendary effects but they keep making lame stuff like add 1 extra hydra or making tornadoes go straight (and they nerfed the mirror image hydra too). Even with MM/conflag the dps is less than other classes and they don't need to ramp up their damage. Anecdotally there does seem to be some very good geared saders out their. Whoever designed their legendaries put in some good work imo, it's just that starting from scratch and farming seems pretty slow and annoying.

DH cluster arrow does 770 +(220*4) @ 40 hatred

Sheet damage isn't 1:1 across all classes. Just because you have as much sheet damage as another person doesn't really mean you're doing as much DPS as they are and that's before taking into account +elemental damage. Comparing other classes' sheet damage to yours really isn't going to do you any favors.

Honestly you probably need nearly double of the other classes to do as much DPS as them. Crusaders are currently the bottom class of the DPS totempole unfortunately. But hey...you guys have awesome looking shields.

Sheet damage isn't 1:1 across all classes. Just because you have as much sheet damage as another person doesn't really mean you're doing as much DPS as they are and that's before taking into account +elemental damage. Comparing other classes' sheet damage to yours really isn't going to do you any favors.

Honestly you probably need nearly double of the other classes to do as much DPS as them. Crusaders are currently the bottom class of the DPS totempole unfortunately. But hey...you guys have awesome looking shields.
I do have % elemental on gears. I also have % amplifier of FOH on gears as well. Still can't compete with other classes in terms of kill speed.

Krassus

People running Demonbuddy with the buddystats plugin are seeing much different results than Crusaders being the worst. Think you have the in game eDPS rankings the exact opposite sadly =(

I do have % elemental on gears. I also have % amplifier of FOH on gears as well. Still can't compete with other classes in terms of kill speed.

Unfortunately, Crusaders are bottom of the DPS totempole. You're basically like a minority from an inner city in America, you have to work twice as hard just to be equal to the rest of us and a miracle to even approach the 1%ers. A few make it, and by extension everyone believes everything is fine and points to these examples.

scy

I've done like 500 Act 1 bags and gotten 3. It's not exactly that common. I've actually seen zero of the amulets, though, now that I think about it.

Unfortunately, Crusaders are bottom of the DPS totempole. You're basically like a minority from an inner city in America, you have to work twice as hard just to be equal to the rest of us and a miracle to even approach the 1%ers. A few make it, and by extension everyone believes everything is fine and points to these examples.

Yeah, I do pretty good.

I dunno, my Wizard is decently geared (~1.4M sheet, like 80% Fire Damage and a Mirrorball) but the difference between her and my Crusader isn't astronomical. Like, the Wizard Heat Wave clears trash faster but Shard of Hate + Fissure stacks is pretty fast boss damage. It's not the same, sure, but it's within like 70-80%. I think at this point (T4-5-6 areas), the difference isn't going to be that huge.

Well, unless I compare myself to 200M WD Pet crits.

Phenomic

I agree with this in a lot of cases. Tons of % elemental damage is what separated me from the pack. I was talking to some idiots in general chat and they told me to die in a fire when I said that Crusaders were pretty gear dependent compared to most classes. Randoms always keeping it classy on the internet.

My Crusader still needs a little work, but I'm loving watching my Sweeps crit for 7 to 8 million. Fist of the Heavens for 4 to 5 and Hammers for 2.5 easily. This on top of 10 to 11 million Condemns stuff dies pretty quickly mainly doing T2 for speed. Torment 3 wasn't too bad, but stuff starts to hit harder etc. Going to shift some gems around for more survivability. I imagine once I got a Blade of Prophecy from Scourge (which is easily a couple mil a proc and I will have a hard time getting rid of my poison nova) I could be rocking even further switching from Lighting to Holy. My sheet DPS is around 750k with a nice SOJ, but even this could be pushed a little higher if I rerolled some items.

Which I get the fact that it's a gear dependent game, but I got to a million DPS pretty easily on my Wizard using mainly rates and a really good weapon drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom