• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens if you rerolled a stat into sockets and put gems in, and them rerolled sockets off? Do the gems just magically come off or do you lose them? I know if you're trying to go up a socket (1-2 or 2-3) that you just get an extra hole, but I've always been curious what happens in the opposite scenario.

What happens if you rerolled a stat into sockets and put gems in, and them rerolled sockets off? Do the gems just magically come off or do you lose them? I know if you're trying to go up a socket (1-2 or 2-3) that you just get an extra hole, but I've always been curious what happens in the opposite scenario.

I'm pretty sure they will be returned to you but you will be deducted the cost of removing them as if you had done it at the gem crafter. I remember reading a story of someone rerolling sockets to crit and that person got a max crit roll but he didn't have enough money to remove the gem, so he couldn't apply the new roll at the mystic.

Goblin drop this while hunting for Dane

6RwPQdn.jpg

Which to roll on BoP? or stick to the Fell?

robochimp

It charges you the gem removal fee, and if you can't afford it you can't change from the socket.

larvi

If you salvage an item with a gem, it will go into your inventory or on the floor if you don't have space. I've done that in the past to save the jeweler costs to removing the gem(s) from an item you don't want anymore.

Dahbomb

You have to pay the price to unsocket the gem. If you don't have the gold to unsocket them then you are not allowed to select the new property. If you have the gold then it works like a regular unsocketing, gem gets placed in your inventory.

This happened to me once which was a harsh lesson. I was trying to roll my Helm socket into crit chance with the socket containing a max level Amethyst. I keep rolling thinking I have enough gold then I finally get crit chance 6.0 I get all excited and try to click but it wouldn't let me. It was asking 500K to unsocket and I didn't have it. I had to keep the socket and farm enough gold to unsocket, then try my luck again with the unsocketed helm.

cdyhybrid

I have one in my chest for novelty purposes. Rolls are bad though.

Farmed today for Aughilds on my Monk. Didn't get what I want, got really unlucky with the Shoulder rolls (no game I do not want SSS). One of the chests was just one roll away from being excellent.

Oh well tomorrow I can try again. At least getting the mats wasn't too difficult.

Were you farming Caldeum Sewers or Festering Woods?

Question

If I'm a wizard and I get a weapon that has "+1100-1300 Holy Damage", and I'm not using any skills that do Holy Damage, am I actually getting anything out of having that effect?

Dahbomb

Were you farming Caldeum Sewers or Festering Woods?
Both. I would check Act 1 and Act 2 for the Ghosts, if they weren't there I did Sewers.

Honestly I didn't really like farming Sewers that much. I really just want the Aughilds. I am fine with reloading games to check for Bounties.

Yikes that's rough. Glad I actually know now though so I don't potentially make the same mistake.

By the way, do runes that change skill elements through addition change the entire skill's damage calculations? I guess I'm thinking specifically of Fetish Army where it has a poison and fire rune, but the tooltip seems to suggest that only the new mobs it spawns will do that damage. Would a plus fire skill affix increase the damage of all the fetishes or just the fire breathers?

Realyn

a source link would be nice...

You know what works when you are looking for a source? Putting the whole quote into google.

Not saying that it wouldn't be nice to post a source, but instead of asking/complaining you could have found it yourself in the meantime.

You know what works when you are looking for a source? Putting the whole quote into google.

Not saying that it wouldn't be nice to post a source, but instead of asking/complaining you could have find it yourself in the meantime.

I'm not a mod, but I have to say this is not optimal. In the case of one person doing this, it is more work for the person searching than it would have been for the original poster to just copy the link. It is even more inefficient when you consider that it is very likely that more than one person will likely run this search.

Dahbomb

Looks like patch 2.0.5 is around the corner with the way these Blue posts are framed. I need to get in on the RIF action before it's nerfed... accumulate some wealth.

Realyn

I'm not a mod, but I have to say this is not optimal. In the case of one person doing this, it is more work for the person searching than it would have been for the original poster to just copy the link. It is even more inefficient when you consider that it is very likely that more than one person will likely run this search.

That goes a bit past what I said don't you think? I'm not even arguing that the first guy should have added the source. What I'm saying is this: instead of asking for one just put the quote into google, find it yourself and add it.

Fularu

Banned

It's a blue quote, use any of your bluetrackers

But here's the link anyway :

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12329613352?page=9#164

That goes a bit past what I said don't you think? I'm not even arguing that the first guy should have added the source. What I'm saying is this: instead of asking for one just put the quote into google, find it yourself and add it.

That's fair. It is still more work to search for it on the second person's part. And aren't we here to be helpful?

I just can't think of a time when I ever thought 'man I wish I didn't post the link for that quote'.

Edit: I honestly don't know what a blue tracker is and I hardly ever read the Bnet forums.

cdyhybrid

Both. I would check Act 1 and Act 2 for the Ghosts, if they weren't there I did Sewers.

Honestly I didn't really like farming Sewers that much. I really just want the Aughilds. I am fine with reloading games to check for Bounties.

Do the ghosts only spawn if you have the bounty?

Dahbomb

No they can spawn without the Bounties. I believe Festering Woods have two of those uniques so you can have both of them spawn there (haven't had that happen to me yet, I usually do a brief check of the area).

It's just easier to check with Bounties. Reload game, check for Bounties instead of reload, TP to Festering Woods, check the area for the mobs, find out they didn't spawn, TP back, reload game.

Have they said anything about this?
No not yet. But its Blizzard so you never know.

eek5

About what? I am sure they're close to patch 2.0.5, but we all know what "close" or "soon" means when we're talking about Blizzard

RIFing

If you guys are doing bounty searching for mats it's best to do it in a group or find a community for it. The communities usually suck but sometimes someone will join in and you can search with them. For example I'll idle in twin seas community and eventually someone comes along and finds one then I'll start searching with them otherwise no fucks given.

eek5

There's a Twin Seas community? Lol...

I need to join more Communities man.

It's small as shit and I've only farmed with one other guy but I did get 4 of the mats when he jumped in so it ended up being worth it to sit in that community haha

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Well, it doesn't affect you. It's not a competitive game.

Sure it is, for some people. That's why Blizzard is adding ladders.

I just found that people were throwing out that argument so often that it was bound to show up supporting trade eventually. The funny part is that trade requires other players. "Why can't I trade with other players in this game where I'm the only player?" - it's a contradiction in the argument.

cdyhybrid

Sure it is, for some people. That's why Blizzard is adding ladders.

I just found that people were throwing out that argument so often that it was bound to show up supporting trade eventually. The funny part is that trade requires other players. "Why can't I trade with other players in this game where I'm the only player?" - it's a contradiction in the argument.

Aren't they making people start fresh if they add in ladders? Or was that just speculation?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Aren't they making people start fresh if they add in ladders? Or was that just speculation?

Yes, people start new characters to join the season. No paragon levels or anything would carry in. Once the season ended, experience and items would carry over to your main account somehow (previously described by Travis)

eek5

could I get some advice for my monk please?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mahgeetah-1644/hero/4838331

I can't get 1 hand drops for the life of me I've had like 6 legendary polearms/daibos.

What is the new hotness? I would like some advice on how to gear for fire or lightning builds.

Get a socket in your FD. FD is great if you stack cool down reduction. I can blaze through T1 and kind of do T2 with my build and I've gotten shit rolls so my EHP is really low. I can survive in T3 but it's sketchy at best. When the FD procs I can dump LTKs like crazy. It's almost comical how fast I'm pooping them out and they do a ton of dmg.

You need a better amulet (main stat) and bracers (ele dmg). See if you can craft reaper's wraps. It's great for monk since building spirit blows.

How does everyone prefer to rift? Warp out and close it as soon as the guardian's dead, or try and squeeze every last drop out (or at least every elite pack)?

I can understand doing it the first way; it's probably better long term from a perspective of efficiency, but I can't stop thinking that I or someone else in my party spent the five keys and might as well get all of the increased legendary drop rate time we paid for.

Discobird

How does everyone prefer to rift? Warp out and close it as soon as the guardian's dead, or try and squeeze every last drop out (or at least every elite pack)?

I can understand doing it the first way; it's probably better long term from a perspective of efficiency, but I can't stop thinking that I or someone else in my party spent the five keys and might as well get all of the increased legendary drop rate time we paid for.

I stay and clear the map if it's a dense one, otherwise I create a new rift. More guardians means more bloodshards and forgotten souls.

There's an argument for staying if you're low on rift keys, but in that case I think I would rather just do a bunch of bounties and get more keys.

cdyhybrid

When I run them with friends we typically close it after the boss (because they're all a lot more geared than I am and they have huge stocks of rift keys). When I'm doing them solo I'll check the rest of the rift for elite packs before I close them.

I just found a Magefist for whenever I get tired of Thundergod spec :D

scy

I just continue to the exit. Doesn't add too much time really. If the tileset looks awful (e.g., Pandemonium Fortress), usually just leave and close.

Also depends on what the rest of the group wants.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

I warp and close right after kill the guardian.

I'm probably just superstitious about it; there's been a good chunk of times that I've gone back to check the last little bit on the map, only to find the last elite and have a leg pop out.

Unmoses

I guess it's for supposed shard efficiency? *shrug* I dunno.. we have about 6 guys who play regularly who when we do a rift just clear the entire friggin thing for completions sake.. and we have found tons of extra packs on the flip side of the guardians..

I assume the entire point is to get shards quickly?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'm probably just superstitious about it; there's been a good chunk of times that I've gone back to check the last little bit on the map, only to find the last elite and have a leg pop out.

Sure, but that leg drop wasn't programmed when the map was generated, (unless I'm completely wrong with how the drops work)

So you have the same chance getting a leg by warping out and remaking as you do with hunting down the last elite.

It's quicker too, especially on those really crappy rift maps.

It's all random. Maybe if you closed the rift and started the next one, the first elite pack would have dropped 2 legs.

It really all depends on how much you value your rift keys. You can either get the most of them since the primary benefit of being in a rift is the higher drop rate, or you can close it and go to the next if you want faster shards.

jblank83

It depends on the maps. If it's something like Jail or Graveyard with heavy density elites, it's a clear. If it's something big and open with low density elites, it's a remake. Other maps are up in the air, depends on what others feel like.

robochimp

Just completed the Bul Karhos' oath set. It would be nice if the whirlwind proc would actually save it self for when attacking.

It just goes off randomly when walking or talking to NPCs

For my group, it depends on the map. If it's the Cursed Hold our the Cemetery map, then we'll stay and clear the whole map. Cause of the high density of elites. For other map, we'll just close the rift and move on to next one.

On another note, I've created like 20 Augchild's helm and i can't even get 2 out of 3 of the stats i want, which is core stat, crit chance and/or socket.

Also crafted more than 10 Cosmic Strand.. Only one which is usable (but still not optimum), is the one in currently using.

These "random" affix feels wonky.

Dahbomb

You could argue that warping after boss kill and closing the Rift decreases overall time in Rifts. Rift takes like 25 seconds to close, that's 25 seconds you could've been in the Rift... over hundreds of Rifts that adds up. More reloads means more of those 25 second waits. Clearing Rifts increases time spent in Rifts where drop rate is highest and less overall time (as a percentage of time in Rift) closing them.

In any case I do what many people do.... clear Rift if its obviously a dense Rift and leave early if Rift is less dense.

The Cowboy

Such a night, so many leg drops, i think i had more in the past 2 hours than I've had all week. Though some where just souls in the making, others made me happy even though the rolls aren't as good as i would have liked.

This one in particular made me smile as T3 is now on the go. (now up to 72% fire damage).

jblank83

On another note, I've created like 20 Augchild's helm and i can't even get 2 out of 3 of the stats i want, which is core stat, crit chance and/or socket.

These "random" affix feels wonky.

I'm up to a dozen of the chest and getting nothing but garbage. Not one has rolled with 3 sockets, allowing me to roll one of the primaries I want onto the thing. I've never seen one with 3 primaries I want either, thus allowing me to reroll the sockets.

The random is just totally random given the pool of possibilities, some of those possibilities being less likely than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom