• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You honestly need a better Amulet more than anything, one with fire damage. Well aside from a Cindercoat.

That amulet was just some crapper I got from an act 1 cache. Getting a better one has proven very difficult.

Cindercoat is the #1 priority. Then I'll work on the amulet for sure (no way im spending shards for 1H weapons).

Bro. BRO. Dem perfect rolls. Jesus christ

No kidding. Ive never seen so many items on 1 character with damn near max possible rolls....

Discobird

I got a BlackFeather from Kadala and was tempted to try it but didn't want to swap sockets. That proc sounded pretty sweet. Would go really well with awareness.

It has an internal cooldown so it's not so great. Cloak of the Garwulf is still probably the best overall chest item if you're not using fire.

Since I don't have a kridershot, my biggest gripe with demon hunter is that their hatred generators are all really boring to use. And I still need them since I can run out of hatred really fast right now. Pride's Fall helps but there are a lot of sources of unavoidable dmg in rifts that break it.

Yeah but most generators for most classes are boring

Bola and Hungering Arrow with a 2-pierce Buriza are pretty fun though. Bola with the poison rune is fun with any weapon but kinda useless because of the lack of AOE. Evasive Fire is fun too if you're good with the flip, but it can be annoying otherwise.

There are people who run generator-less builds with Multishot - Suppression Fire instead of a generator but I could never get that to work well. It really suffers against tough single targets.

Yeah but most generators for most classes are boring

There's a thread on the official forums where people are "designing" their own legendary items. I thought it would be cool to have a bow\quiver that made entangling shot deal 150% weapon dmg to all entangled enemies.

Or one that made hungering arrow fire nether tentacles (that would be so OP, but also awesome).

Mirrorball on my wizard made magic missile really awesome to use. Still waiting on something like that for my DH.

Does anyone know if story bosses (not the named purple mobs like manglemaw, just the main story bosses) also had their drops nerfed?

I know this post got lost in all the moaning about how the magefist found after a measly 2000 shards weren't trifecta and you're gona quit the game, but ... anyone?

Mumei

I've decided that for now I am going to focus on making money, acquiring Forgotten Souls, and getting Paragon levels, and whatever I get incidentally as a result of that is just gravy. I tried re-rolling some of my stuff, but I'm fine on T2 and I don't want to keep going broke on souls and money trying to re-roll equipment I'm not especially attached to.

I've been messing around a lot with my set-up, and I recently tried Grave Injustice. It's amazing, and it makes smashing through huge groups a breeze by making my moves almost cooldown-free, and Honored Guest Spirit Walk making mana a non-issue. It's been wonderful and I can't believe I haven't been using it this entire time.

I still suck against single opponents, though. I mean, they die eventually but it takes me about five times as long as it does when I'm playing with someone who has good single-target damage.

Oh, and can someone tell me how you take screenshots of a particular item's information? Like the Andariel MetalGearOnlineK posted earlier today.

th3dude

I've decided that for now I am going to focus on making money, acquiring Forgotten Souls, and getting Paragon levels, and whatever I get incidentally as a result of that is just gravy. I tried re-rolling some of my stuff, but I'm fine on T2 and I don't want to keep going broke on souls and money trying to re-roll equipment I'm not especially attached to.

This is the exact epiphany I had the other night. Why am I wasting my several million gold (never more than 5-6m) and the few Souls that I have on every piece of gear that I loot? My plan, besides rolling my weapon and bracers which are both very good, is to save up everything for a while until I get a bank full of gear that I can actually start building with.

Oh, and can someone tell me how you take screenshots of a particular item's information? Like the Andariel MetalGearOnlineK posted earlier today.

I played in full-screen windowed and use Greenshot.

When I press printscreen, it lets me draw a box on my screen around whatever I want to actually save as an image. Save to desktop, upload to Imgur and Bob's your uncle. I love Greenshot.

I'm at work so I'll use it to grab a quick snap of something from my profile page.

P2JLsoQ.png

That took like 30 seconds.

(it can be configured to automatically upload to Imgur as well)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
|OT2| will be posted @20k

th3dude

When I press printscreen, it lets me draw a box on my screen around whatever I want to actually save as an image. Save to desktop, upload to Imgur and Bob's your uncle. I love Greenshot.

I'll use it to grab a quick snap of something from my profile page.

P2JLsoQ.png

That's awesome, I've been wondering the same thing. Thanks!

cdyhybrid

I've been messing around a lot with my set-up, and I recently tried Grave Injustice. It's amazing, and it makes smashing through huge groups a breeze by making my moves almost cooldown-free, and Honored Guest Spirit Walk making mana a non-issue. It's been wonderful and I can't believe I haven't been using it this entire time.

I still suck against single opponents, though. I mean, they die eventually but it takes me about five times as long as it does when I'm playing with someone who has good single-target damage.

This is kinda what I've been doing. I'm actually pretty close to having ideal items in all slots...but I just need much better rolls, particularly on resists. I'm wearing a lot of crafted items, so I need the Souls for both crafting and rerolling...which is why I started doing Rift It Forward.

I'm at work so I'll use it to grab a quick snap of something from my profile page.

http://i.imgur.com/P2JLsoQ.png[IMG]

(it can be configured to automatically upload to Imgur as well)[/QUOTE]

Nice, downloading this. I usually just hit print screen and cropped it in Paint before uploading to imgur.

I have 57 CDR and was dicking around with this build last night. Really fun. I'm not sure how much more juice I can squeak out of the build. I'm gonna craft a borne's and crimson set piece to get me to 77% CDR and continue playing around.

At the very least it's a lot of fun. Epiphany around. SSS and serenity when epiphany falls. I have those hexing pants, but I'm not sure if they have good synergy with the build. I have the reduced CDR weapon for SSS and it's effective while epiphany is up too. Especially for elites and bosses. SSS stops my movement though. So my damage output drops during a skill that's supposed to deal ass loads of damage. Since it's +25 while moving and -21 while standing, it ends out being a 40% reduction in damage out put.

75℅ is Max you need as the Epiphany's cool down is the same as how long it lasts. So just constant epiphany.

Guy early saying they need to fix monks DPS, no idea what he means. I'm hitting stuff all over the screen for 4mill crits multiple times every second. That's with pretty average gear to.

So the caches are decided upon opening what the contents are and not at drop?

Can I farm caches with my TR monk and then swap to WD to open hoping for an INT RoG?

75℅ is Max you need as the Epiphany's cool down is the same as how long it lasts. So just constant epiphany.

Guy early saying they need to fix monks DPS, no idea what he means. I'm hitting stuff all over the screen for 4mill crits multiple times every second. That's with pretty average gear to.

Epiphany/TR is great for clearing trash fast. Not so much elites or rift guardians. SSS is great there. Since I stack fire gear, constant epiphany would be great for my SSS damage. Still conflicted on those damn hexing pants though.

ferr

Loaded question. Anything can really be viable:

1H + quiver (higher crit chance, fast hatred generation)
2H + quiver (higher CA damage, good crit chance)
1H + 1H (higher crit damage, fast hatred generation)

It's definitely loaded. For the typical build, the best will be Nat+Calamity. But not everyone has Nat+Calamity, and it shouldn't be implied that 1h+1h is the best, it is possible that Nat+Calamity is a unique case.

Archfiend quiver is so powerful that it outweighs a random 1h+1h setup imo (see mine http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ferr-1693/hero/6314719). At that point it's 1h vs 2h to go with a quiver. +5 crit from Archery should be ignored since Sharpshooter could be used instead of Archery. So then it's a matter of high dmg CA vs CA more often from quicker hatred regen. I would think these are equal: if 2h can push out more damage from fewer shots, then it doesn't need to use as much hatred to kill Ghom, thus hatred regen is less important. There could be an argument for better bursts vs longer sustain.

So really, just like with Nat+Calamity, it's all equal except for those legendary affixes. But idk.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Tempted to reroll a demon hunter after seeing all you guys playing yours, I haven't touched my demon hunter since the early days of vanilla.

I think it could be time to bring it out of retirement. Some questions though, is dual weidling hand xbows just always going to be superior? Because currently it does seem that way, or are there builds / skills that benefit better from bows / 2handed xbows?

Also are there a decent variety of builds to check out? I'm pretty much working under the assumption that fire is superior to all other possibilities, but the same could be said for any other class.Are goofy builds like perma strafe still usable / fun / interesting?

Yes. Hexing pants unique item.

+25% damage and resource production while moving, -21% damage and resource production while standing.

It's basically a great barb WW item, but also good for tempest rush. Where I'm having issues is tossing SSS into the build since it stops my movement.

Switch sss for cyclone?

ferr

Tempted to reroll a demon hunter after seeing all you guys playing yours, I haven't touched my demon hunter since the early days of vanilla.

I think it could be time to bring it out of retirement. Some questions though, is dual weidling hand xbows just always going to be superior? Because currently it does seem that way, or are there builds / skills that benefit better from bows / 2handed xbows?

Also are there a decent variety of builds to check out? I'm pretty much working under the assumption that fire is superior to all other possibilities, but the same could be said for any other class.Are goofy builds like perma strafe still usable / fun / interesting?

Fire is superior and no, 1h+1h is only superior in some cases. You can make your sheet damage skyrocket with 1h+1h but your eDPS won't actually go up.

garath

It's definitely loaded. For the typical build, the best will be Nat+Calamity. But not everyone has Nat+Calamity, and it shouldn't be implied that 1h+1h is the best, it is possible that Nat+Calamity is a unique case.

Archfiend quiver is so powerful that it outweighs a random 1h+1h setup imo (see mine http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ferr-1693/hero/6314719). At that point it's 1h vs 2h to go with a quiver. +5 crit from Archery should be ignored since Sharpshooter could be used instead of Archery. So then it's a matter of high dmg CA vs CA more often from quicker hatred regen. I would think these are equal: if 2h can push out more damage from fewer shots, then it doesn't need to use as much hatred to kill Ghom, thus hatred regen is less important. There could be an argument for better bursts vs longer sustain.

So really, just like with Nat+Calamity, it's all equal except for those legendary affixes. But idk.

Really good explanation.

I currently use a random rare 1h w/ quiver. I've crafted two archfiend both with bad rolls. Once I get a decent one that'll replace my flint ripper quiver. I also have a Dawn 1h sitting in my stash waiting to be rerolled with a socket that will replace my 1h rare.

If I manage to find a calamity and Nat, I'll be a happy camper.

CS would still require me to stop and is WAY less effective than SSS every 6 seconds or so.
Sorry I mean the one that makes a vortex thing around you? It get more powerful as you crit.

It would still be less effective than sss on single targets of course but that skill is just nuts on singles.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Fire is superior and no, 1h+1h is only superior in some cases. You can make your sheet damage skyrocket with 1h+1h but your eDPS won't actually go up.

I had a feeling this was the case, especially with skills like loaded for bear, you'd think that the higher weapon damage of a two handed weapon would benefit loaded for bears 770% weapon damage coefficient much better than a faster weapon. With that much burst fights could end fast enough that your edps would be superior to dual wielding.

So basicallly 1h + 1h will always look better on sheet, but 2 handed + quiver is generally more effective given high wep damage coefficients?

garath

I had a feeling this was the case, especially with skills like loaded for bear, you'd think that the higher weapon damage of a two handed weapon would benefit loaded for bears 770% weapon damage coefficient much better than a faster weapon. With that much burst fights could end fast enough that your edps would be superior to dual wielding.

So basicallly 1h + 1h will always look better on sheet, but 2 handed + quiver is generally more effective given high wep damage coefficients?

Depends. If the fight draws out long enough that you need to regen hatred, the 1h attack speed can make up for smaller CA damage.

I'm using 1H + 1H with my demon hunter because unlimited vaulting is so fun with Danetta's. Especially since I stun any enemy I touch while doing it.

If I found a Krider\Nat's\Calamity\Manticore, I'd have to strongly consider dropping the other Danetta for a quiver. The Danetta's will always stay in my INV for when I'm speeding through bounties though. Nothing gets you through maps faster than that. I piss people off when split farming because I finish mine, then I jump into someone else's and pass them on the way to the boss they're after. So fun :)

garath

I'm using 1H + 1H with my demon hunter because unlimited vaulting is so fun with Danetta's. Especially since I stun any enemy I touch while doing it.

If I found a Krider\Nat's\Calamity, I'd have to strongly consider dropping the other Danetta for a quiver. The Danetta's will always stay in my INV for when I'm speeding through bounties though. Nothing gets you through maps faster than that. I piss people off when split farming because I finish mine, then I jump into someone else's and pass them on the way to the boss they're after. So fun :)

I have a Danetta but it rolled with 2200 dps :(

(it can be configured to automatically upload to Imgur as well)

Wow, great screenshot tool, lets me link my imgur account which is nice because the current Send To plugin I am using doesn't.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

If I found a Krider\Nat's\Calamity\Manticore, I'd have to strongly consider dropping the other Danetta for a quiver. The Danetta's will always stay in my INV for when I'm speeding through bounties though. Nothing gets you through maps faster than that. I piss people off when split farming because I finish mine, then I jump into someone else's and pass them on the way to the boss they're after. So fun :)

WELL THAT SETTLES IT! I'm leveling a DH after work today lmao.

I love going fast

I've decided that for now I am going to focus on making money, acquiring Forgotten Souls, and getting Paragon levels, and whatever I get incidentally as a result of that is just gravy. I tried re-rolling some of my stuff, but I'm fine on T2 and I don't want to keep going broke on souls and money trying to re-roll equipment I'm not especially attached.

I hit this same point last week sometime. It has made the game a little less grindy in my mind, even though I'm still grinding.

In my quest to get a Cindercoat I ended up getting a Garwulf. I know the Cindercoat is supposed to be better, I think I want to use the Garwulf when I roll 3 sockets on it. As I told my friend I consider it a fungrade. Now to get the sockets, easier said than done.

Having both TF and SoH I can reroll the TF to any stat so wanted to give that to my Monk or Barb and use SoH on my Wizard. I can't find a good build for it though. All my gear is lightning based and was using Arc Lightning+Wave of Force. I tried runeless Shock Pulse which works great on Ghom, but in general rift play sucks due to how much mobs move around and the bolts don't pierce so you sit there taking a lot of damage sometimes.

Anyone running Wiz+lightning+SoH?

garath

I hit this same point last week sometime. It has made the game a little less grindy in my mind, even though I'm still grinding.

In my quest to get a Cindercoat I ended up getting a Garwulf. I know the Cindercoat is supposed to be better, I think I want to use the Garwulf when I roll 3 sockets on it. As I told my friend I consider it a fungrade. Now to get the sockets, easier said than done.

You sound like me. My Garwulf is in the stash awaiting reroll into sockets lol. Already thrown 3 souls at it.

BFIB

Finally purchased RoS, about an hour in so far. Feels more like Diablo than any part of Diablo III did! Fantastic so far, can't wait to unlock Adventure Mode.

jblank83

The firebird set gets a lot of shit on the forums, but its a not THAT bad.

Yes it is. Compared to what you could be wearing instead, it's not worth it. For instance, assuming a Ring of Royal Grandeur, you can wear a 2 piece Aughild and a 3 piece Asheara's. It's not worth it assuming any number of decent legendaries, either. I'd say the only effect worth having is the 2 piece +500 int.

The 6-bonus is garbage even compared to something simple like the proc effect on Thunderfury. Seriously, 300% damage over 5 seconds?

And the 4-piece is entertaining, but the meteor is low damage, while the resurrect is only mildly amusing. Because in the rare even you die, you can just wait a couple of seconds and resurrect yourself anyway. It's an effect that's not worth reaching for when there are other options such as +15/-15 dmg to/from elites or summon all 3 followers when attacking, or even just -10% cooldown reduction.

I'm not trying to harsh your good time, but the criticism of the set is justified, imo. On the plus side, the unique art is decent.

Do you have hexing pants? How bad are they when you SSS?

Also, I run a similar TR+SSS build. The thing that kills elites for me is my Maximus fire chain. So powerful.

I don't like them with SSS. It's my dilemma. I'm using the 2H staff that reduces SSS cooldown though. That plus the cooldown rune and the additional 57% CDR gives me SSS very very often. It combined with epiphany and my plus to fire gear are how I drop elites quickly.

I'm gonna try different pants tonight and see what results I get.

traveler

Not Wario
The art is decent and it's nice to see Blizz craft a set with hardcore characters in mind for once (even if I do think hardcore is this game is not a particularly interesting nor fun way to play) but consider what must be given up for a fire wizard, even outside other set combos.

In those 6 slots taken by the firebird set, you'd be giving up Cindercoat, Magefist, and Andariel's Visage, which is a TON of fire damage as well as a utility for the spec that's arguably greater than all of the set bonuses of the firebird combined. Even with grandeur for 5 piece + cc, you're giving up some ias and 40% fire damage for a couple of parlor tricks. Just not worth it. (especially when you add in the other sets factor, as mentioned above. If I could have 3 piece Aughild's + CC, AV, and MF or Firebird, it's not even a contest)

I don't like them with SSS. It's my dilemma. I'm using the 2H staff that reduces SSS cooldown though. That plus the cooldown rune and the additional 57% CDR gives me SSS very very often. It combined with epiphany and my plus to fire gear are how I drop elites quickly.

I'm gonna try different pants tonight and see what results I get.

Gotcha. I was just curious how much it reduces your spirit pool since I don't have them.

Phenomic

The firebird set gets a lot of shit on the forums, but its a not THAT bad. I think the three pieces(source, shoulders and chest) I have for my alt fire/cold wiz biz are pretty nice. The extra revive bonus added because the ring is awesome. I also love how it looks

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/wickwire7-1676/hero/47089683

I've always thought of Firebirds as more of a hardcore only set that you would want in the off chance something happened and you really wanted an Oh F**k button. I just lagged and now I don't want my progress to disappear.

That's really the only reason I'd ever want to use it.

Sothpaw

Shacknews just posted a q&a with the devs. I don't understand why sites insist on asking if the pc version will get controller support. The skills work differently in both versions, the pc version has higher mob density and no auto aim. You would think that "journalists" would understand this by now. Especially since Shack posted an article about why controller support will not work on the pc version just a few months ago.

So the caches are decided upon opening what the contents are and not at drop?

Can I farm caches with my TR monk and then swap to WD to open hoping for an INT RoG?

Yes you can. Whats inside the cache and what level it is are determined upon dropping. But if you get it on your monk and switch to WD they will roll int. I farm bounties on my wizard and give the caches to my demon hunter, everything rolls dex.

Shacknews just posted a q&a with the devs. I don't understand why sites insist on asking if the pc version will get controller support. The skills work differently in both versions, the pc version has higher mob density and no auto aim. You would think that "journalists" would understand this by now. Especially since Shack posted an article about why controller support will not work on the pc version just a few months ago.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/84210/diablo-3-dev-team-discusses-reaper-of-souls-and-answers

Boogdud

I've always thought of Firebirds as more of a hardcore only set that you would want in the off chance something happened and you really wanted an Oh F**k button. I just lagged and now I don't want my progress to disappear.

That's really the only reason I'd ever want to use it.

No passive could prepare a HC char for the abomination that are blizzards' servers over the last week or so.

Ashodin

Trying to throw a bone to the console players, since they've not announced the PS version yet. Like those poor souls who wander into this thread and ask about the PS4 version and leave.

Yes you can. Whats inside the cache and what level it is are determined upon dropping. But if you get it on your monk and switch to WD they will roll int. I farm bounties on my wizard and give the caches to my demon hunter, everything rolls dex.

Thanks. That's good news.

Gotcha. I was just curious how much it reduces your spirit pool since I don't have them.

25% reduction in spirit generation. I don't think it will be an issue though. Epiphany replenishes my spirit quickly even when in TR. My staff gives me 4 a second and I use guardians path. I'm also using the fire rune with TR so my cindercoat reduces it's spirit cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom