• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblank83

Also - I have a strange feeling they're going to do a content patch at some point which opens the Necromancer as a companion as well. I can feel it.

I'd guess more like the next expansion, which was setup fairly obviously, imo. The Scoundrel quest
ends on a cliffhanger and almost flat out tells you there will be more to do
. Then there's the Necromancer setup with
that guard in Westmarch

I mean, there might be an alternate universe where Blizzard looks at its 3+ million copies of Reaper of Souls sold x $40 and goes "nah, we don't need to do another", but I doubt it.

traveler

Not Wario
Interesting - blue comment on a Rift it Forward thread without threat of impending doom.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12506571192?page=3#45

I'm not really sure why people thought they would be opposed. Contrary to the popular sentiment, most of the things they've done in RoS have been buffs, and the nerfs they've made were aimed at clearly straight up broken things. Rift it forward is efficient, sure, but at the end of the day, someone is still giving up rift shards for boss loot only + turn in rewards instead of getting a full rifts worth of farm; that's not particularly insane and it's certainly not core area run levels of disproportionate loot handouts.

Was the sun keeper bad rolls? I want one for the plus to elites.

Horrible rolls. Here is one that I found a while ago (sorry for this shit picture):

ezhtliG.jpg

I should say that the one I found today had horrible rolls. This one obviously has great rolls. I just have no idea what I'd use it for.

Phenomic

WicketSmaht here-

Why, oh why, do I have to swap gear between each char's Enchantress, Templar, and Scoundrel? Fix this shit Blizz.

Also - I have a strange feeling they're going to do a content patch at some point which opens the Necromancer as a companion as well. I can feel it.

Wicket.

They did that poll and it was a resounding yes to the fact that the majority of people wanted followers to be cross account. I'd expect this to happen in a future patch for sure. Seems like an easy enough thing to implement, but I wouldn't expect it until 2.1. Hopefully not as late as 2.2

bcl0328

if i have about 79% reduction in my all res and 323k health. should i reroll the all res into crit on my bracers or the life %?

eek5

I'm not really sure why people thought they would be opposed. Contrary to the popular sentiment, most of the things they've done in RoS have been buffs, and the nerfs they've made were aimed at clearly straight up broken things. Rift it forward is efficient, sure, but at the end of the day, someone is still giving up rift shards for boss loot only + turn in rewards instead of getting a full rifts worth of farm; that's not particularly insane and it's certainly not core area run levels of disproportionate loot handouts.

I think the community will collapse on itself eventually anyway. There are too many leechers and not enough runners. I often only run when trying to leech is too much of a pain and even then I'd rather be leeching. Leeching is way too good compared to running. If I could just gamble with fragments, I would!

eek5

Was the sun keeper bad rolls? I want one for the plus to elites.

Hmm ... Maybe I'm just trippin' myself out. It's not like it hasn't happened before.
It was a thread where someone was saying you had to move before activating TR or WW to get the bonus and there was a DH that said he was stutter stepping w/ CA and getting bonus. I don't have pants to test for myself though..

Been playing Wiz non stop since yesterday and all I've gotten is a shitty Sunkeeper and an INT Maximus. Easily 12+ rifts completed

Yeah.

Sorry but 12 rifts doesn't even register on the scale of getting items...
if you expect a good leg (a good leg like a maximus or thundergod an odyn or setpiece or an andariel or something, not a good roll, just desirable item) every 12 runs you're in for a rude awakening

I'd expect a good drop every 30 or so and once you have some gear an upgrade every 4-5 days (of running 20+++ rifts a day)

sample i'm basing this on: 660+ rifts (500 after the rift buff patch) with 3 other people,per person on average one leg per 3 rifts on t2 (a bit more on t3) and maybe 1 good leg for every ten default salvage ones
Maybe 1/2 odds of getting a useable roll for most slots, 1/10 odds for getting a usefull roll on a necklace, ring or gloves or weapons (except for items like thunderfury which always roll main stat+socket)

Discobird

It was a thread where someone was saying you had to move before activating TR or WW to get the bonus and there was a DH that said he was stutter stepping w/ CA and getting bonus. I don't have pants to test for myself though..

DH w/ Hexing Pants here and I can confirm that you can stutter step with CA and get the bonus damage. It was the first thing I tried after Kadala gifted me the pants. This method is pretty sensitive to lag though, so the pants are pretty horrible in times of server distress :(

I think the community will collapse on itself eventually anyway. There are too many leechers and not enough runners. I often only run when trying to leech is too much of a pain and even then I'd rather be leeching. Leeching is way too good compared to running. If I could just gamble with fragments, I would!

I have fun rifting though. I might be the odd man here, but I would rather do rift runs for free than split farm fragments (borefest) to leech rift guardian fights.

I'll dick around with it a little tonight. I'm hoping you're right and I'm just tripping myself out.

DH w/ Hexing Pants here and I can confirm that you can stutter step with CA and get the bonus damage. It was the first thing I tried after Kadala gifted me the pants. This method is pretty sensitive to lag though, so the pants are pretty horrible in times of server distress :(

I'm starting to feel better already.

Lowmelody

Rift-it-forward is LEGIT. This combined with split bounties means I can get a whole night's worth of disappointment over with in an hour or two. :)

Dahbomb

Horrible rolls. Here is one that I found a while ago (sorry for this shit picture):

ezhtliG.jpg

I should say that the one I found today had horrible rolls. This one obviously has great rolls. I just have no idea what I'd use it for.
You would use it for killing Elites which are the main threats in the game. Trash mobs are trash (even at T6 they can be taken out by most characters easily) and irrelevant but this weapon will push you ahead. It works on bosses too.

You would use it for killing Elites which are the main threats in the game. Trash mobs are trash (even at T6 they can be taken out by most characters easily) and irrelevant but this weapon will push you ahead. It works on bosses too.

Why I want one coupled with a fire SoJ

Can someone explain to me the reason behind Rift it forward? I don't understand why you would only want to do a rift to kill the boss. I've gotten WAY more legendaries off of elites/normal mobs than off the rift guardians. I guess it's an easy way to farm blood shards? I dunno about you but I'm completing rifts for ALL the rewards, not just forgotten souls and blood shards. Dat gold/xp, not to mention the chance at more legendaries.

scy

The short of it is that it's relying on the safety net Legendary drop along with just killing a boss-caliber mob a ton of times per hour so the drops aren't awful. Like, Manglemaw or something farming except with a small cost (5 fragments) but also nets Blood Shards and a quest turn-in.

From the perspective of the person running the rift, it means they never have to actually have a group for the "hard" part of it (the boss kill) and can just skip ever having to farm bounties for their rifts.

bcl0328

Can someone explain to me the reason behind Rift it forward? I don't understand why you would only want to do a rift to kill the boss. I've gotten WAY more legendaries off of elites/normal mobs than off the rift guardians. I guess it's an easy way to farm blood shards? I dunno about you but I'm completing rifts for ALL the rewards, not just forgotten souls and blood shards. Dat gold/xp, not to mention the chance at more legendaries.

rifts can take like 10-15 minutes. you can join 20 games in that amount of time. way faster to get blood shards.

Dahbomb

It's not about Legendaries it's about the free gold/EXP and more importantly the faster rate of Forgotten Souls and Shards.

If you have an item that you can get from the Gambler then RIF is the best way to try to get it. You get like 40-50 per RIF and one RIF takes like a couple of minutes at the most. So within an hour you can have 500+ Shards easily. Plus a bunch of Forgotten Souls.

Whenever I am low on Forgotten Souls I start doing some RIFs. The gold is actually very nice too (average 100K gold per RIF which is like a couple of minutes at most).

It's also like completely brain dead and requires no gear as well... the only skill involved is clicking "Request to Invite" fast enough before it fills up. And games fill up super fast.

I really only like doing rifts for legendaries, so RIF is great for that. I spend 5 keys and just keep rifting all night.

I doubt I'll ever do it just to kill the boss because shards have never once gotten me something I actually wanted. I Just dump them when I get 500, get over my disappointment, and back to rifts.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

"RiftTorrent"

The rift trading idea with one prep giving you credit for three joins is more sustainable, but requires someone to administer it all.

The reason I was surprised is it's one of the ways people can buy their way up the ladder (or get there by running a bunch of prep bots). Then again, I think addressing it would require a system that scales your reward by your participation in rifts and bounties, and maybe they aren't ready for that.

So many loopholes still... first season will probably be a mess. Oh well.

Dahbomb

First Ladder season is going to be ridiculous in terms of balance. So many people are going to be exploiting quest rewards, bounty rewards and Rift rewards to get ahead in Paragon points.

I can already see it... 3-4 people in clan just do Rifts all day and one guy that they are trying to boost just RIFs with those 3 people in regular intervals. That one guy will get carried hard if he does RIFs all day like that.

The RIF community is simply "Rift it Forward". It's hard to miss really, it's one of the most active communities. Bounty runz is a good community too... you can usually get people running various Acts. I got a nice group that was running Act 3 (probably for Pride's helm like me).

RDreamer

How efficient would farming be with 3 people rifting and one person doing bounties. Basically you take turns on who does bounties while rifting. Everyone gets the rewards for both then.

Dahbomb

How efficient would farming be with 3 people rifting and one person doing bounties. Basically you take turns on who does bounties while rifting. Everyone gets the rewards for both then.
You mean within one game?

Bounties are generally done on Normal and Rifts are done on the highest level that the group can do within 10-15 minutes. So there's a clash of difficulty setting there. If one person was doing Torment 1 Bounties while the other 3 were doing Rifts, I don't see this as being all that fruitful for the one person doing the Bounties. At high levels you want to be in the Rifts for the 100% bonus otherwise you are just wasting time gathering gold/exp (the rate of Cache would be too low to be worth a damn).

Most efficient way to get Caches: Split bounties on Normal on a single Act (4 people do one Act if you are all looking for a particular item).

Most efficient way to get Legendaries (non set items): RIF then gamble for them

Most efficient way to get Sets: Rifts at the highest level you can complete in reasonable time.

Most efficient way to get Blood Shards and Forgotten Souls: RIF

Most efficient way to get Gold and EXP: No stop in between RIFs (if you have to wait too long in between RIFs then it's not efficient) or Hell Rift 2 Act 4 Bounty or Ghom if your DPS is outrageous like some WDs.

Mumei

There's a T in "rift"

True! But RIF is an acronym, not a misspelling.

Edit: I am missing something, though. Where does one go to join a RIF game? I've only ever played private games, either solo or joining a friend. I'm not sure where I'd request an invite to a public game.

okay, I've been doing rifts on expert but I've been blowing through them lately... what is the difference between expert / master? (drops / legendary % rate etc)

if there is none, I'll just hang out in expert till i'm ready for t1

(solo play)

The Cowboy

Edit: I am missing something, though. Where does one go to join a RIF game? I've only ever played private games, either solo or joining a friend. I'm not sure where I'd request an invite to a public game.
You just join them via the RIF community chat, for your region just look in the community section for "Rift It Forward" and join it. Whenever you want free Rifts (runners) or Souls/Shards etc (openers) join the chat channel and then post something like "T3 @ Boss, 3 Slots, Rule for choosing opener" if your running Rifts and want a free one, or if your after some Souls/Shards (and possible loot - i got my 2 missile MB doing this) then request party invites to people who post something like "T3 @ Boss, 3 Slots, Last person invited opens".

nbraun80

What is your trick on leveling up so quick? I am playing for hours and only level 40.

the way mu friends and I do it is have the lvl 1 guy make a t6 game and run rifts. The lvl 7 will blow through everything and I usually get to lvl 60 in 4 rifts. You will probably have to turn down the torment lvl at 60 or so to keep up the efficiency. I know their are others ways like reloading bounties and turning in quests, but this way is actually kinda fun because your buddy get to feel like a god for a little while and you have to dodge from getting 1-shotted. You can also gajn some equipment this way do your not naked at 60.

kirblar

+ Damage problem on weapons explains a lot about why my DPS was having so many problems on WD pre-change to poison. The more you know...

ZenaxPure

I have fun rifting though. I might be the odd man here, but I would rather do rift runs for free than split farm fragments (borefest) to leech rift guardian fights.

This is mostly me too. I've gotten to a point where I don't hate doing bounties for more fragments as long as I do them on the same torment difficulty I rift on, but, there are times where I just want to do a shit load of rifts at once without having to farm. I think I am going to give RIF a try, though, I do have a question if someone can answer.

Are you expected to be able to carry everyone in a group for the boss? I ask because I typically rift at T4 nowadays but honestly I don't think my back is strong enough to carry 3 people on T4 yet, T3 would probably be fine though.

I assume people of all gear levels leech boss kills so I'm not entirely sure if it should just be expected of me to carry people or if people typically avoid difficulties they can't handle.

The Cowboy

I do have a question if someone can answer.

Are you expected to be able to carry everyone in a group for the boss? I ask because I typically rift at T4 nowadays but honestly I don't think my back is strong enough to carry 3 people on T4 yet, T3 would probably be fine though.

I assume people of all gear levels leech boss kills so I'm not entirely sure if it should just be expected of me to carry people or if people typically avoid difficulties they can't handle.
If i understand you question correctly, with RIF and free Rifts you aren't carrying anyone really as invited players are only there for the boss kill (and if you can clear a T4 Rift solo, then the boss should be easy enough for you on your own), everyone does help however and invited players are expected to attack the boss which will help take it down faster.
-
The way it works is.
You do the Rift yourself all the way to the boss (at whichever level you feel comfortable doing), then once your ready to kill the boss you do your post in the RIF community chat to get the people to join for the boss kill only, after this the invited players join and help kill the boss and get their shards/souls etc - then you state who was chosen to open your free Rift, once the Rift is open all invited players leave.

Discobird

You should assume the leechers will be useless. I did a bunch of T4 running yesterday and had at least one leecher die at every guardian. You can hurt the guardian before you start inviting people to make it easier, though.

The Cowboy

You can hurt the guardian before you start inviting people to make it easier, though.
A lot of people do this then post something like "T4 @ Boss (25%HP), 3 Slots, Rule for re-open", its really good if your worried about people dying to the harder level bosses as this is a great way to make it easier.

I try to achieve a state of Buddhist non-desiring while playing Diablo 3. I stay in a state of contentedness with my equipment and if an upgrade happens to occur, then great.

I do something similar only I assume every piece is crap. Set piece? Blackthorne. Legendary pants? More Hammer Jammers. Then when it is a good item I am really excited.

ZenaxPure

You should assume the leechers will be useless. I did a bunch of T4 running yesterday and had at least one leecher die at every guardian. You can hurt the guardian before you start inviting people to make it easier, though.

Yeah this is what I was looking for. I should have specified bosses to make it more clear, but thought that was obvious haha. Either way good to know.

I was mainly concerned because I have the furious charge set on my barb currently which allowed me to drop my fury generator since as long as there are mobs around I have infinite fury on demand, but, on rift bosses without adds it can be pretty slow if I can't find some guys to charge and refill. Basically I don't see myself carrying 3 people on bosses when I already killing them slower then I like anyway.

Didn't think about killing the boss a bit before inviting people though, might take that approach.

traveler

Not Wario
Well, in that case....

I believe I'll get a perfect str + trifecta RoRG out of the next few Act 1 Bounty runs.

....That's not too much to ask for is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom