• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Got it.

Also some Monk builds require two weapons, eg. Uliana needs Lion's Claw and Fist of Az. For these, I don't need two ancient weapons right? I just need one of them to be ancient and put that ancient weapon in the primary slot because the secondary weapon's damage does mot matter?

Secondary weapon damage does matter, so you'll want two ancients.

Xanathus

Today I learned that in order to obtain Season 7's Haedric Gifts you have to complete ALL objectives in Chapter 2, 3 and 4. Notable things that will take some time doing these objectives are having to complete all bounties Act 1 to 5 in a single game, and killing all Key Guardians on T4. Last one can be a bit tricky since you won't have your free 6pc set bonus.

New to RoS, resuming with my level 60 Barb:

Any reason to salvage materials? And if so, which rarities as a cutoff?

Always salvage legendaries and set items if you are not keeping them for a key crafting component. You can salvage other stuff early on but after a point you get enough of those materials from other sources there is no need.

Kiru

Season Journey done. Might try to complete Set Dungeon Achievements in Non Season now. Only missing Crusader & Monk.

Wallach

Hum, I missed that Invigorating Gemstone change. Might get some use for my part; anyone know what the scaling per rank is on the healing bonus?

Jinroh

Guys I've been able to get the cursed chest conquest but I'm still missing the 2 minutes rift and I can't realistically achieve it alone. What would be the best way to achieve it? Is the ingame chat populated enough to ask for help?

Baliis

I predict that it will still be the highest DPS in groups so it will still be the top meta group build.

I haven't paid much attention to the changes so you may be right, but I think a lot of people might be turned off by the randomness of it, at least for pub groups. If another build can come close at least people will be more willing to bring them along for consistency where it's basically just been wiz the last two seasons.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Man I just ran out of steam for D3 this season, I only got to chapter 4 of the season journey. I’ve not gotten the stash tab for any season yet! This time I went with the witch doctor, and I think that was a mistake, as I’m just not a huge fan of the WD’s playstyle. Which is odd because the necro was my favorite D2 class.

I think for S7 I’ll stick to a class that I love to play instead of mixing things up, but I think I’ll wait a week or two after S7 begins to see if any classes have any glaring issues first.

I think Helltooth Garg will be top damage class next season with the Ring of Emptiness.

Guys I've been able to get the cursed chest conquest but I'm still missing the 2 minutes rift and I can't realistically achieve it alone. What would be the best way to achieve it? Is the ingame chat populated enough to ask for help?

Search the community groups using "conquests" and join the biggest one. Then post in chat for help.

Or join randoms in TX and look for speed monks and DHs. Then play the rift waiting game.

Baliis

I think Helltooth Garg will be top damage class next season with the Ring of Emptiness.

Search the community groups using "conquests" and join the biggest one. Then post in chat for help.

Or join randoms in TX and look for speed monks and DHs. Then play the rift waiting game.

Helltooth so boring though =/

Tizoc

I found my brother's copy of Diablo 3, but he redeemed the code that was in it. If Install the game, is there a way for me to get a new activation code?

Audioboxer

Haven't played D3 in like a year but patched it up and booted it up.

Think I'll finally try a Monk or Wizard having completed the game when it first came out as a Barb and then done RoS as a Crusader up to 70.

Most of GAF seems to be Wizard or Monk!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
One could go about playing it as if it were a beat'em-up of sorts with the monk too?

What do you mean by that? Diablo 3 was always a frantic hack n' slash, which is basically a free-roaming beat'em up except with swords and skill trees. No matter which class you pick, you'll still get to crush monsters by the hundreds, except if you play a support/zero dps build, but they're very specific builds. Every class can be played as a damage-dealer.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Tsk guess I'll wait for a sale then, thanks.

Refresh my memory though but this has 4 player offline co-op on PS4 right? Or at least up to 2 players?
One could go about playing it as if it were a beat'em-up of sorts with the monk too?

You like Ys games. Diablo is a loot based version of that. You can absolutely play by running around frantically spamming buttons. It's actually the optimal way to play in a lot of cases.

Tizoc

Interesting, I'll grab Diablo 3 when it's cheap and eventually start it on PC, or if it goes for cheap on PS4 anytime soon.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting, I'll grab Diablo 3 when it's cheap and eventually start it on PC, or if it goes for cheap on PS4 anytime soon.

Have you ever played Diablo 2? There is a lot of similarity there at least in terms of the type of game it is. Obvously a lot has changed, but the Diablo games are sort of the Ur-loot grind games since they more or less invented the genre.

That said, D2 has a very loose plot while D3 has a much more of one (not that either are very coherent, Blizzard writing and all that). So if that's your thing, this might not be. The games are designed (mostly) to be infintely replayable with the random tilesets and very random gear.

There's a demo on PC. Granted, it's short as fuck, like 10mins, and the lower levels are a lot slower paced than the later ones, so might not be the best.

Also of note, Blizzard doesn't do sales very often, so it'll rarely go cheap. Best you'll get is game+expansion for 20bucks, which considering how old the game is, is still "expensive". Still it has a lot of playtime for these 20bucks. I probably have like 500ish hours total, although that's with several seasons and shit. Have more in PoE I guess and a ton more in dota, but that's still solid and I don't regret buying the games full price(I did regret buying vanilla at release for a while, but it redeemed itself over time/with the expansion).

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
There's a demo on PC. Granted, it's short as fuck, like 10mins, and the lower levels are a lot slower paced than the later ones, so might not be the best.

Also of note, Blizzard doesn't do sales very often, so it'll rarely go cheap. Best you'll get is game+expansion for 20bucks, which considering how old the game is, is still "expensive". Still it has a lot of playtime for these 20bucks. I probably have like 500ish hours total, although that's with several seasons and shit. Have more in PoE I guess and a ton more in dota, but that's still solid and I don't regret buying the games full price(I did regret buying vanilla at release for a while, but it redeemed itself over time/with the expansion).

The starter edition (= demo) is still pretty good to get a feel for the basic gameplay. And it lasts much longer than 10 minutes if you're not familiar with the game, let alone the genre. Getting to lvl 15 and the Skeleton King takes way more than 10 minutes on your first playthrough.

Tizoc, you should give it a try.

Lain

I found my brother's copy of Diablo 3, but he redeemed the code that was in it. If Install the game, is there a way for me to get a new activation code?

Can't you play the game on his account for the time being? Unless he's constantly playing it or some other Blizzard game.

Xanathus

It's hella worth getting even for 20-40 dollars on PC. I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather spend $30 getting it on PC rather than getting it for $20 on PS4/XB1 because of how much better it is on PC. Way more players, no cheaters (well, of the non-botting kind at least), seasons (this is the hugest one) and GAF clan.

What do you mean by that? Diablo 3 was always a frantic hack n' slash, which is basically a free-roaming beat'em up except with swords and skill trees. No matter which class you pick, you'll still get to crush monsters by the hundreds, except if you play a support/zero dps build, but they're very specific builds. Every class can be played as a damage-dealer.

It's an Action RPG, but even that is a bit misleading. It's basically a Hack n' Slash with stats.

eek5

It's hella worth getting even for 20-40 dollars on PC. I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather spend $30 getting it on PC rather than getting it for $20 on PS4/XB1 because of how much better it is on PC. Way more players, no cheaters (well, of the non-botting kind at least), seasons (this is the hugest one) and GAF clan.

GAF clan makes it worth it for sure

Woorloog

Banned
Is there EU GAF Clan? Or just GAF Clan?

My friend, who plays Diablo 3 UEE on my 360 and duplicates items/bloodshards/whatever is annoyed that he can't get that one wand that allows for two Hydras nor Fate of the Fell. I joked i'll probably get one on PC before he gets one even by cheating... and indeed, i got one today from a random mob (combined with a Ramaladani's Gift, it is pretty good if not stellar since i lack most other gear Holy Shotgun build needs).
I've played this on PC but a week or so...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Is there EU GAF Clan? Or just GAF Clan?

My friend, who plays Diablo 3 UEE on my 360 and duplicates items/bloodshards/whatever is annoyed that he can't get that one wand that allows for two Hydras nor Fate of the Fell. I joked i'll probably get one on PC before he gets one even by cheating... and indeed, i got one today from a random mob (combined with a Ramaladani's Gift, it is pretty good if not stellar since i lack most other gear Holy Shotgun build needs).
I've played this on PC but a week or so...

There's a US clan and a EU clan. I don't think the EU clan is really active, since there hasn't been much new lately, and the season isn't really interesting.

... Is Holy Shotgun still a viable build these days?

Woorloog

Banned
There's a US clan and a EU clan. I don't think the EU clan is really active, since there hasn't been much new lately, and the season isn't really interesting.

... Is Holy Shotgun still a viable build these days?

Well, perhaps activity changes once the next season arrives.

What does one even get from seasons by the way? Considering my timing, i didn't bother starting a Season-specific character, and because of that, i didn't study what one gets from them. Superficially, it seems only cosmetics and stash-space for the current season?
Wonder if i'll bother with the next one...

No idea if Holy Shotgun is viable. But apparently Fate of the Fell is rather rare as legendaries go, so i find it kinda hilarious i get one within a week from starting to play...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Well, perhaps activity changes once the next season arrives.

What does one even get from seasons by the way? Considering my timing, i didn't bother starting a Season-specific character, and because of that, i didn't study what one gets from them. Superficially, it seems only cosmetics and stash-space for the current season?
Wonder if i'll bother with the next one...

No idea if Holy Shotgun is viable. But apparently Fate of the Fell is rather rare as legendaries go, so i find it kinda hilarious i get one within a week from starting to play...

Depending on what the next patch and season bring, yeah, it could be active. At its best it's really awesome, especially when we all get on Teamspeak/Mumble with Yoshichan and just shoot the shit. You should have been there back when the expansion came out. It was crazy.

That's the thing with seasons these days: you don't get much in the way of actual gameplay. You get portraits, achievements and possibly a spot on the leaderboards, but the only gameplay-"altering" reward you can get is a new stash tab for more storage space. It used to be that Seasons had exclusive items - they would roll them to regular once the season was over -, but really right now only the stash tab is worth playing Seasons. And you need to complete a number of challenges to unlock the stash tab.

On top of that the latest patch mostly introduced a few item/skill balance changes. No game-changing new feature unlike previous patches.

AND, although maybe that's just me, but the recent news of Blizzard looking for people to work on a new Diablo game has people expecting an expansion, spin-off or straight-up sequel announcement in the near future. That dampens the excitement for current content.

Btw, is Josh Mosquiera still on the D3 team? We haven't heard of him in ages.

Woorloog

Banned
33c6c9c3dab62e5d45c2795f984d0db5.jpg

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Does anyone play the game on an ultrabook-type configuration? i.e.:

- Core i5-6200U or i7-6500U (or the last-gen equivalent, like a 5500U for instance)
- Integrated Intel graphics (possibly Intel Iris HD 520 or 540)

If so, how does the game run for you? I know this kind of configuration is pretty much useless for most games, but Diablo 3 is fairly old and was never really demanding in the first place. What kind of fps are you getting, and on what settings?

(I might buy a Dell XPS 13 soon enough, in case you're wondering)

Kiru

Does anyone play the game on an ultrabook-type configuration? i.e.:

- Core i5-6200U or i7-6500U (or the last-gen equivalent, like a 5500U for instance)
- Integrated Intel graphics (possibly Intel Iris HD 520 or 540)

If so, how does the game run for you? I know this kind of configuration is pretty much useless for most games, but Diablo 3 is fairly old and was never really demanding in the first place. What kind of fps are you getting, and on what settings?

(I might buy a Dell XPS 13 soon enough, in case you're wondering)

I found this:
XaCvBAC.png

Their benchmark scene is stupid though:
Our benchmark scene takes place in the old but familiar grounds of New Tristram as seen in the video below. The tested scene is as follows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpT4ZkLdgkI

We directly teleport to the village market square from "The Old Ruins" where we then immediately activate FRAPS. We command our hero to follow a winding upward path and along the street. After hitting some bushes right outside of town, we turn and run back the same path to the start location of the test. The duration of the recorded scene is approximately 30 seconds long.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I found this:
XaCvBAC.png

Their benchmark scene is stupid though:

Thank you, kind sir.

Wow. It is stupid. On top of that, it's shot at 30fps and they didn't activate the in-game FPS counter (which only requires the player to press CTRL + R). Idiots.

Still, gives me a rough idea of how playable the game is. I guess the Iris 540 is a must if I want the game to run at 60+ fps @1080p in crowded scenes.

By the way, the European Dell website only lists the integrated graphics as "Intel HD" or "Intel Iris" (depending on the model), with no further details. Does "Iris" automatically mean it's the 540? I've tried to send them an e-mail to ask them directly, but for some reason the form doesn't work.

Quantum

Played this game for about 60 hours on PC in 2012 - never really got into it -

recently (about 5 weeks ago) I started playing again in the newest season - I am paragon 702 and kinda burnt out with season 6

I played a DH in season 6 - about 150 hours between two characters

I will likely play a WD season 7 - have about 6 hours in one right now and I like the speed chicken.

I joined the neogaf community - but there is almost never anyone on, and I haven't seen anyone to invite to the clan - the most recent officer was on 58 days ago.

will/does the community pick up with the new season?

Baliis

Played this game for about 60 hours on PC in 2012 - never really got into it -

recently (about 5 weeks ago) I started playing again in the newest season - I am paragon 702 and kinda burnt out with season 6

I played a DH in season 6 - about 150 hours between two characters

I will likely play a WD season 7 - have about 6 hours in one right now and I like the speed chicken.

I joined the neogaf community - but there is almost never anyone on, and I haven't seen anyone to invite to the clan - the most recent officer was on 58 days ago.

will/does the community pick up with the new season?

It usually picks up a bit, theres a bunch of us that all come back for the start of the season for a month or so until it starts to die down again

Quantum

It usually picks up a bit, theres a bunch of us that all come back for the start of the season for a month or so until it starts to die down again

makes sense - I'll probably go in to lurk mode soon, although I only got through GR70 solo, I think I can do better with a full season and better rolls (rng)

not much more to do after finishing all season objectives and chasing ancient rolls if the season ends in 5 days.

Lain

Today was a good day (though the last few days have been good as well), as I managed to clear most of the journey toward unlocking the chest slot. I only have a second conquest to do and leveling gems to 55, which means I'll just have to level gems up to 65 and I should be done. Hopefully the remaining days will be enough for me to get it done.

Jumped in the other week for the 1st time in a long time, feel like I'm missing so much. One challenge away from the basic season journey completion but doubt I'll get it done. Stupid set dungeon.

Might give the next season a proper go.

Lain

Yesterday I managed to get the all boss kills in 20 minutes Conquest and the 350 monsters killed during a cursed chest event Conquest, plus leveled my gems to 55, so I got the new slot unlocked.
I can consider myself happy with that result given I had left the journey on chapter 4 until they announced the end of the season.

Jumped in the other week for the 1st time in a long time, feel like I'm missing so much. One challenge away from the basic season journey completion but doubt I'll get it done. Stupid set dungeon.

Might give the next season a proper go.

So long as you can manage the damage you receive the first set dungeon challenge isn't too bad to complete since the timer is only important for the mastery challenge, so you might get that journey done in the time left before the end of the season.

From the First Look - Season 7 Journey

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/20187365/first-look-season-7-journey-7-19-2016

Q: What will happen to older Seasonal records?

A: As we continue on into additional Seasons, we will no longer be able to store some personal Seasonal records. While Season 7 will store your personal bests for all Seasons to date, at some point in a future Season, we will begin removing old personal bests, beginning with Season 1. This will be true regardless of your personal participation in previous Seasons. We will have more information on this change at a later date.

Seasonal Leaderboard records are not being cleared, and will remain archived both in game and on our website.

I skipped season 6, and haven't played after season 5 so I'm way behind on news, but I would like to know what personal Seasonal records are we talking about here?

Top Bottom