• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I apologize in advanced for a perhaps somwehat stupid question, but I'm far from really understanding this game. Call me a noob or whatever! :)

I (Crusader) now have the Legacy of Nightmares set equipped for the extra ancient damage, but at the same time I have the complete Seeker of the Light set equipped as well for the Blessed Hammer damage boost.

I have googled it, but I still cannot understand whether the LoN boost is working if I'm already using another set bonus? Are they working together, or do I have to deactivate the Seeker set in order to enjoy the LoN bonus?

I'm quite confused since I can't really interpret the information given in the game about the LoN set. Maybe I'm stupid, or maybe it's ambiguous.

Any help from Diablo vets would be highly appreciated.

EDIT: Playing UEE on Xbox One, if that matters.

Xanathus

I apologize in advanced for a perhaps somwehat stupid question, but I'm far from really understanding this game. Call me a noob or whatever! :)

I (Crusader) now have the Legacy of Nightmares set equipped for the extra ancient damage, but at the same time I have the complete Seeker of the Light set equipped as well for the Blessed Hammer damage boost.

I have googled it, but I still cannot understand whether the LoN boost is working if I'm already using another set bonus? Are they working together, or do I have to deactivate the Seeker set in order to enjoy the LoN bonus?

I'm quite confused since I can't really interpret the information given in the game about the LoN set. Maybe I'm stupid, or maybe it's ambiguous.

Any help from Diablo vets would be highly appreciated.

EDIT: Playing UEE on Xbox One, if that matters.
LoN will NOT have any effect if you have a single bonus of any other Set equipped so take off your Seeker set.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
LoN will NOT have any effect if you have a single piece of any other Set item equipped so take off your Seeker set.

Wait, are you sure about the "single piece" part? I thought LoN was reliant on you not having any other set bonus, but I might be wrong. If you have, say, Invoker shoulders and no other Invoker item, will that cancel the LoN bonus?

Xanathus

Wait, are you sure about the "single piece" part? I thought LoN was reliant on you not having any other set bonus, but I might be wrong. If you have, say, Invoker shoulders and no other Invoker item, will that cancel the LoN bonus?

Yeah I meant every set bonus, you can still equip single individual items of a set as long as it doesn't trigger the set bonus. Edited last post to be clearer.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
LoN will NOT have any effect if you have a single bonus of any other Set equipped so take off your Seeker set.

Thanks for clearing things up. But I take it the LoN bonus will be applied to all attacks, like the Blessed Hammer as well, and not only the main one?

If not, I'll probably stick with the Seeker set since it makes the hammers with limitless quite powerful.

Xanathus

Thanks for clearing things up. But I take it the LoN bonus will be applied to all attacks, like the Blessed Hammer as well, and not only the main one?

If not, I'll probably stick with the Seeker set since it makes the hammers with limitless quite powerful.

LoN applies to everything, and is by far stronger than Blessed Hammer build assuming you have all gear slots filled with ancients and using the LoN Thorns Bombardment build.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Yeah, it's a general damage buff, though I wouldn't be surprised a few very specific skills don't benefit from it (or not as much as they should). But you're fine.

Dunfisch

Christ, that fucking 2 Conquest requirement for the stash tab. Desperately trying to get the Curses! one, killing 350 mobs in a chest event.

I got so close with the A1 Bellows, 343. But nobody cares to join me for another attempt even when putting out calls in the general chat and season community. The one spot in act 5 which is supposed to be the place to go is stupidly lowly weighted to appear as a bounty, and running the place to see if it spawned naturally is frustrating too.

Any EU Gaffers willing to lend a hand? Ideally I'd need a Unhallowed Essence DH, guarantee we hit above 350 kills within the time.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Christ, that fucking 2 Conquest requirement for the stash tab. Desperately trying to get the Curses! one, killing 350 mobs in a chest event.

I got so close with the A1 Bellows, 343. But nobody cares to join me for another attempt even when putting out calls in the general chat and season community. The one spot in act 5 which is supposed to be the place to go is stupidly lowly weighted to appear as a bounty, and running the place to see if it spawned naturally is frustrating too.

Any EU Gaffers willing to lend a hand? Ideally I'd need a Unhallowed Essence DH, guarantee we hit above 350 kills within the time.

i'll help you dunster

yeah right

Dunfisch

I can't actually help you when I just started the season the other day and you basically carried me :p.

Ooooh, I forgot! Mistook you for Nokt. Right, there was that... Gonna have to try my luck getting that spot or a sub 2 minute rift :/ . Doubt I'll manage 75 Solo.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Ooooh, I forgot! Mistook you for Nokt. Right, there was that... Gonna have to try my luck getting that spot or a sub 2 minute rift :/ . Doubt I'll manage 75 Solo.

Nokt has the same username on GAF, you silly goose.

BTW, just for kicks I checked my regular wiz yesterday: of course the only item I'm missing for that soon-to-be-nerfed build is... The Twisted Sword. I don't even have it cubed. It's essentially the only wizard item I've never dropped.

What about farming the gems? This tend to be a lot easier. I forgot what was the requirements, but I think it was like 3x60? Means you only need to be able to clear GR59 or so. Takes some time, but it's a guaranteed one.

For the cursed chest, you definitely want to find the one in act5 to get people to help. I don't think people will bother moving for the other one. It isn't so bad to find, just log in the game, teleport there, check the area directly around the teleporter for the mountains that lead to it, if it's not there reset. It's super rare as a bounty, but not that rare as a spawn right next to the waypoint. Generally 15-20mins top should find it. Then get a DH with decent multishot gear to help, they can do it super easily.

Dunfisch

What about farming the gems? This tend to be a lot easier. I forgot what was the requirements, but I think it was like 3x60? Means you only need to be able to clear GR59 or so. Takes some time, but it's a guaranteed one.

For the cursed chest, you definitely want to find the one in act5 to get people to help. I don't think people will bother moving for the other one. It isn't so bad to find, just log in the game, teleport there, check the area directly around the teleporter for the mountains that lead to it, if it's not there reset. It's super rare as a bounty, but not that rare as a spawn right next to the waypoint. Generally 15-20mins top should find it. Then get a DH with decent multishot gear to help, they can do it super easily.

Did the gems. Managed my 70 Grift with maybe... 1.5-2 minutes to spare. 75 mobs have 50% more health, so that's not going to happen. Maybe 3 gems on HC...

Did the gems. Managed my 70 Grift with maybe... 1.5-2 minutes to spare. 75 mobs have 50% more health, so that's not going to happen. Maybe 3 gems on HC...

Oh right, I did kill all the bosses too. I guess this one depends on your class though, I don't think it's doable as Barb or Crusader, at least solo.

Dunfisch

Welp, my generally 65 Grift capable HC Monk bit it. Public game, typical "rush elites!" mentality and despite Illusionary Boots I couldn't get away in time from a huge mob.

Had like maybe... 15-20 Grifts to do, no rush. Now that option's down the drain. Knew I shouldn't play public on HC chars. Oh well, I'll just have to hope I find that event chest soon. Of course, I only keep getting every layout except the one with the required hill.
The game knows and is telling me "You want that stash tab? HAHA NOPE GET REKT!".

Dunfisch

Got my stash tab. Spent like 8 hours yesterday trying to get that damnable A5 chest event to show up with nothing to show for it, and the first session I login today it's there as a bounty. Figures.

Oh well, enlisted a random DH to make sure I get over 350 kills and that was that. Don't care much to try to complete the last chapter for a portrait frame which looks stupid.

At least next season the conquests are more bearable again.

Dunfisch

Not so sure, rushing through all episodes in 1 hour seems barely possible for someone who doesn't his whole life on the game.

Well that one's a bit Eh, but getting a 50 million gold streak and beating a 45 Grift without sets is comparatively easy. The Grift especially, since gems and some legendaries have been buffed since 5th season.

And 50 million gold ought to be easy with a levelled greed gem and on T13 - that will be a thing.

Not so sure, rushing through all episodes in 1 hour seems barely possible for someone who doesn't his whole life on the game.

It doesn't have all that much to do with spending your whole life on the game, and more to do with RNG and class. Some classes outright can't do it solo.

In general, I don't know how viable it'll be to solo this one with only one hour, it seems too short. If any class can do it though, it'll be high arcane regen+aether walker spamming teleports, high spirit regen+cdr monk with the dash legendary/set(forgot which it is, the one that lets you dash for spirit), danetta shadow(for wings speedbuff) DH and majuma chicken WD. I don't think Crusader and Barbs can maintain high enough movement, I think Crusader horse is finnicky even with the legendaries(and might be too slow even if it's permanent), while barb movespeed is too low even with WW swords+sprint and I don't think you can Rhaekor charge spam the entire time plus it has some weird delay on it.

After that, you have the RNG on the random maps, especially the larger ones. Finding the right path right away in a bunch of the act5 maps is a lot based on luck, and not getting lucky on these forces you to restart.

This will most likely be a group centric conquest, similar to the low time rift ones are in general, current season 2mins rifts is doable solo, but hard, need really good RNG. Meanwhile in a grp, you only need a bit of RNG to find the right rift to do it and you shave like 15secs from having someone TP early to turn in asap because for some reason it still counts when you turn in the rift quest rather than when the boss dies.

That said the other conquests are fairly easy. Gold is easy in T12-T13 with greed even with goblin nerf, 45 without set items is mostly a joke as long as you know what's the strong build for your class is and doing gems to 65 is easy for the most part, even if a bit tedious, but can be done in a grp while afk. Solo GR75 is alright, but depends on class.

Generally speaking, I expect this season to take the same amount as the past seasons they've been giving sets for, which is around 35 to 45hours depending on luck/class. This amount of time over a period of ~3months is hardly spending your life on the game.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It doesn't have all that much to do with spending your whole life on the game, and more to do with RNG and class. Some classes outright can't do it solo.

In general, I don't know how viable it'll be to solo this one with only one hour, it seems too short. If any class can do it though, it'll be high arcane regen+aether walker spamming teleports, high spirit regen+cdr monk with the dash legendary/set(forgot which it is, the one that lets you dash for spirit), danetta shadow(for wings speedbuff) DH and majuma chicken WD. I don't think Crusader and Barbs can maintain high enough movement, I think Crusader horse is finnicky even with the legendaries(and might be too slow even if it's permanent), while barb movespeed is too low even with WW swords+sprint and I don't think you can Rhaekor charge spam the entire time plus it has some weird delay on it.

After that, you have the RNG on the random maps, especially the larger ones. Finding the right path right away in a bunch of the act5 maps is a lot based on luck, and not getting lucky on these forces you to restart.

This will most likely be a group centric conquest, similar to the low time rift ones are in general, current season 2mins rifts is doable solo, but hard, need really good RNG. Meanwhile in a grp, you only need a bit of RNG to find the right rift to do it and you shave like 15secs from having someone TP early to turn in asap because for some reason it still counts when you turn in the rift quest rather than when the boss dies.

That said the other conquests are fairly easy. Gold is easy in T12-T13 with greed even with goblin nerf, 45 without set items is mostly a joke as long as you know what's the strong build for your class is and doing gems to 65 is easy for the most part, even if a bit tedious, but can be done in a grp while afk. Solo GR75 is alright, but depends on class.

Generally speaking, I expect this season to take the same amount as the past seasons they've been giving sets for, which is around 35 to 45hours depending on luck/class. This amount of time over a period of ~3months is hardly spending your life on the game.

Having played crusader quite a bit, the horse can be really damn fast. For a start, it's super easy to make it permanent, especially with the reworked horse flail/shield.

When I do speed farming, and the few times I tried doing that conquest with other people, I always got shit done much faster than other people. With the right +mvt speed buffs, it's blazingly fast, with great maneuverability and very little downtime.

Xanathus

Probably going to play Wizard in season 7. I wanted to play DH but I also want to finish all of the season journeys and Wizard is the easiest for that. DH actually isn't bad for nearly every requirement/conquest in the journey but I think it will have a harder time getting GR 70 solo, or GR 75 solo for the conquest.

Quantum

Probably going to play Wizard in season 7. I wanted to play DH but I also want to finish all of the season journeys and Wizard is the easiest for that. DH actually isn't bad for nearly every requirement/conquest in the journey but I think it will have a harder time getting GR 70 solo, or GR 75 solo for the conquest.

I can't speak about past seasons as prior to season 6 as my only experience was leveling a wizard to 60 in vanilla in 2012, but I basically mained DH for season 6 marauder (free set) followed by UE build - I put about 150 hours into the season and ended up leveling every character type.

the last character I did took 49 minutes to solo to level 70 and only an hour or two to gear to T10 (farming shards on alt and gambling on new toon).

I'm currently deciding between DH and WD, leaning towards the WD because I've spent about 10 hours with one near the end of this season and they seem *very* good at both dps and for speed farming.

season 7 equipment for DH will give you the UE set, while the WD will get the helltooth set - both seem great

Sober

Well I got to at least try invoker out, which is really fun but goddamn poor at goblin chasing, but still nigh invincible. Didn't get a chance last couple of seasons to push super hard GRifts. Maybe won't be but I do like to semi-deep dive into classes I've rarely touched.

I think next season I'll just do monk or barb which are really the last two classes I haven't really given the time of day or a real commitment to try. Leveled them to 70 way back when then just let them languish.

Shifty76

Finally!

tKu83NU.jpg

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Well I got to at least try invoker out, which is really fun but goddamn poor at goblin chasing, but still nigh invincible. Didn't get a chance last couple of seasons to push super hard GRifts. Maybe won't be but I do like to semi-deep dive into classes I've rarely touched.

Why would it be poor at gobling chasing? I mean sure, you got to attack it from up close, but many skills and items apply your thorns damage on hit, so you're pretty powerful.

Baliis

Why would it be poor at gobling chasing? I mean sure, you got to attack it from up close, but many skills and items apply your thorns damage on hit, so you're pretty powerful.

Because goblins are faster than you and take off every time you hit them? Plus gob packs are hopeless for invoker.

I just started Diablo 3 Reaper Of Souls on PS4, local coop. I realized there is friendly fire. I finished Diablo 3 before, on Xbox 360 and there was no friendly fire, if i remember correctly. Is this new? Can you deactivate it?

Edit: Damn i am stupid. I was on the training ground, where you can fight each other :)

I am avoiding the game until right before next season. I have run a WD, Crusader, and Barb.

Have not decided which class I will try next. I was hoping pet doctor would have been more fun.

Jinroh

Hey guys all my campaign progression on all my characters is lost, I have to start all over again from act 1. I realized it after I wanted to complete some achievements.

Does anyone else have the same issue?

Xanathus

Hey guys all my campaign progression on all my characters is lost, I have to start all over again from act 1. I realized it after I wanted to complete some achievements.

Does anyone else have the same issue?

Check which Battle.net region you are playing on, you might have accidentally changed it in the Battle.net client.

TSM

I'm back in for season 7, but I can't play until Saturday night at the earliest though. You guys will all be paragon 600 by then.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess I'll try again to see if I can get into the gaf clan. lol

firehawk12#1464 on the US (east I think) server.

I still can't find the actual clan in search (the old Overflow clan is still there though...)

HF2014

Been wondering something about damages of some items. Im playing a witch doctor atm, and wondering what some stats might actualy mean.

As example, my zunimassa set give my pets a 1500% damage boost. Endless walk bonus give a 100% damage boost. So my question is. Does that mean i got total of 1600% damage boost, or its multiply by two so 1500% x2 = 3000% damage boost?

Been wondering if i should stick with endless walk or give a try to 6 piece zuni + 2 piece jade so my haunt do instant 40000% damage.

Xanathus

I guess I'll try again to see if I can get into the gaf clan. lol

firehawk12#1464 on the US (east I think) server.

I still can't find the actual clan in search (the old Overflow clan is still there though...)

I've added you into the clan. The clan is unlisted so you can't find it on search.

Been wondering something about damages of some items. Im playing a witch doctor atm, and wondering what some stats might actualy mean.

As example, my zunimassa set give my pets a 1500% damage boost. Endless walk bonus give a 100% damage boost. So my question is. Does that mean i got total of 1600% damage boost, or its multiply by two so 1500% x2 = 3000% damage boost?

Been wondering if i should stick with endless walk or give a try to 6 piece zuni + 2 piece jade so my haunt do instant 40000% damage.

Separate. So Endless Walk will double your damage if it is at 100%. The damage calculation for most D3 skills is like 20+ variables long.

-Set bonuses
-Endless Walk
-Convection of Elements
-Leg gem damage boosts
-Focus and Restraint (both separate from each other)
-Element damage
-Skill damage
-Elite damage
-And others

Should all apply separate multiplicative bonuses.

Certain things are additive, either with itself or other boosts. Skill damage will add together with itself and then be its own multiplicative boost. IIRC the Mask of Jeram (+100% pet damage) is still added to the element boost damage. But it is so high you still want it for pet damage.

Other things like Enforcer used to be combined with other multipliers which lowered its effectiveness. A lot of things have been split apart for extra DPS through patches. But not all and you usually have to check the Blizz forums for each boost to know for sure.

Ex:

Old Enforcer combined with element damage:
40% Element + 30% Enforcer = 70% multiplier
100 damage x 70% = 170 damage

Patched Enforcer separate from element damage:
40% Element and 30% Enforcer
100 damage x 40% x 30% = 182 damage

EDIT - This is a neat one. Attack speed of the Witch Doctor affects pet's damage. A higher APS means they do more damge with each attack.

Small question. I was going to ask the stupid questions thread, but since it has is own...

Vanilla Diablo 3, post patches and updates is enjoyable / an ok game, or you forcefully should get the expansion too before starting? I have only played the starter edition, and has left me wanting more.

Xanathus

Small question. I was going to ask the stupid questions thread, but since it has is own...

Vanilla Diablo 3, post patches and updates is enjoyable / an ok game, or you forcefully should get the expansion too before starting? I have only played the starter edition, and has left me wanting more.

You don't have to get the expansion before finishing the story campaign once, or reaching the max level 60, but the game becomes boring very quickly after that and you will be missing out on seasons. Also 99% of the people still playing the game will be playing on Adventure mode or at level 70 so you won't be able to find any random people to play without the expansion.

edit: to clarify there's no need to buy the expansion as long as you have not finished the main campaign in the base game but you definitely want to have it after that

edit: to clarify there's no need to buy the expansion as long as you have not finished the main campaign in the base game but you definitely want to have it after that

The idea is was to buy the first part, and then if I liked it, get the expansion next month. So well, hearing that it looks like I will go to the store after work (I want that cardboard box, sad but true).

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
The idea is was to buy the first part, and then if I liked it, get the expansion next month. So well, hearing that it looks like I will go to the store after work (I want that cardboard box, sad but true).

It is enjoyable, especially if you're going in blind and you remain ignorant of what other people can do with the expansion :p.

If you have a strong feeling that you'll enjoy the game, get the expansion at the same time. It's just that good. But if you're on the fence, get Vanilla D3 for now. If you like the base gameplay, RoS amps it up to 11.

But if you wanna be more specific, let me crosspost my detailed reply from the other thread about what the expansion brings to the table. You probably won't have much of a clue what any of this means if you don't know the base game, but at least it's a fairly comprehensive list.

- New lvl cap: lvl 70 (instead of 60), with new skills and more powerful loot.
- New Act: Act V, with a new final boss, and an artstyle and atmosphere that's darker and more reminiscent of older Diablo titles.
- New class: the Crusader.
- New mode: Adventure Mode. Once you clear the regular Campaign mode once, you don't have to clear it anymore. You can instead choose Adventure Mode, which basically lets you go anywhere in the game, in every act, and comes with a host of new features, including:
  • Bounties: random quests throughout all acts. Completing all of them gives you Horadric Caches, which contain bounty-specific legendaries, various items and crafting mats, and a new currency called blood shards. You can exchange blood shards at Kadala the merchant in town, who will give you random items of your desired type, with an increased chance of getting legendaries.
  • The Enchantress: a new artisan in town. At a cost and with several restrictions, she lets you reroll stats on your items, to get that perfect roll. She can also transmogrify items, effectively letting you alter the look of a piece of gear so your character can look as stylish as you want them to look :p.
  • Rifts: in town, there's an obelisk which can open a portal to fully randomized dungeons: maps, mobs, number of floors, dungeon boss and even map colors/tones are random. Nothing beats encountering an entire pack of treasure goblins. The dungeon boss, called rift guardian, gives you loot, including special keystones that give you access to...
  • Greater Rifts: like rifts, GRs are fully randomized, with three main differences: 1) enemies don't drop any items or gold in GRs; instead, all the loot is concentrated on the greater rift guardian; 2) GRs are effectively D3's end game, since GR level and difficulty are only limited by your character's ability to complete them in time; I said "in time" because 3) you must complete the GR before a set time limit if you want to upgrade your legendary gems (more on that below) and do higher difficulty GRifts.
- A number of new gear/character-upgrading systems, including:
  • Legendary gems: see above. They're special gems that are guaranteed to drop from greater rift guardians. There's around 20 of them, they're very powerful with unique effects (e.g. they can proc lightning around your character, cause mobs to explode into piles of gold, increase your damage as you get further away from mobs, etc.), and they can only be socketed into rings and amulets (so you can only have 3 of them on your character). Unlike normal gems, they can be upgraded. Completing a GR lets you attempt 3 gems upgrades. The success of the attempt depends on the rank of the gem you want to upgrade and the level of the GR you just completed. To have 100% chance of upgrading, say, a rank 30 gem, you need to complete a lvl 40+ grift. Leveling gems increases their power in some way. At rank 25, all leg gems get another special affix on top. Some leg gems are capped at 50, but most are not, so you could ni theory upgrade them forever. In theory though, top players manage to get them somewhere between rank 100 and 120. Needless to say, leg gems are a must on all characters and all builds.
  • Kanai's Cube: a bit like D2's Horadric Cube. Mix and match crafting mats and items in the cube, and you get something in return. There are something like 10 different recipes, ranging from converting gems from one type to another, one type of mat to another, to upgrading rares into legendaries or even sacrificing a legendary gem for more main stat on your item. The most unique and useful recipe allows you to essentially turn a legendary item's special affix into a permanent, switchable passive skill. And you can have 3 of them at any given time. Pretty OP, right?
  • Ancient legendaries: don't know if they exist in Vanilla D3. When you drop a legendary item, you have a 1/10 chance of it being ancient. That means higher stat bonuses and, in the case of weapons, much higher damage than regular weapons. Needless to say an ancient weapon is the single highest damage boost a character can get through one piece of gear.
  • New goblin types, Goblin Vault and Cow Level! Remember the treasure goblins? Well, first, there are now different types. Some drop bloodshards, some drop mats, some drop gems, some split into more gobs that split into more gobs that give you a crap ton of loot. Upon dying, gobs will sometime open a portal to the Goblin Vault, a short level filled to the brim with gold, a fair number of goblins, and a unique boss that gives you legendaries and a special legendary gem. Through Kanai's Cube, you can also experience the new version of the cow level. It's honestly a bit meh to me. I mean it's alright, just nowhere near as good as the goblin vault.
  • Seasons: I don't know if they're actually available for Vanilla D3, but anyway. They're a lot like ladders in Diablo 2. They let you start over from scratch, but they have leaderboards and give you special rewards (like character portraits, achievements, skins and more stash space). They used to include season-specific legendary items, but not anymore. Seasons last about 3 months. They usually launch with a new patch. When the season ends, everything you've accomplished or gotten (gold, items, paragon levels) is rolled over to your regular characters. Season 7 is starting literally one week from now (which is why the game is kinda dead right now).

That's the gist of it. I'm sure I'm forgetting some big feature like a dumb dumb.

In short, the game is more streamlined, less frustrating, more flexible more complete, with more build diversity and options to improve your gear, your builds and challenge yourself in the end game. It really is quite a blast.

In short, the game is more streamlined, less frustrating, more flexible more complete, with more build diversity and options to improve your gear, your builds and challenge yourself in the end game. It really is quite a blast.

But a lot of this is added to the original game, or happens after you clear the story?

In any case, nevermind:

CpY32Etl.jpg

Proof that you can't let me near a game store on pay day. Oh well, let's install!

Top Bottom