• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
But a lot of this is added to the original game, or happens after you clear the story?

In any case, nevermind:

CpY32Etl.jpg

Proof that you can't let me near a game store on pay day. Oh well, let's install!

You made the right move.
That is, unless it turns out you hate the game. In that case, you're at least the biggest idiot that ever lived. At least.

You made the right move.
That is, unless it turns out you hate the game. In that case, you're at least the biggest idiot that ever lived. At least.

Dunno, I played the starter until I reached the limit cap. And I've been itching to go back for like forever until I now at last have the time during summer.

Regarding being the biggest idiot, I won that title when I bought WoW without having into account that my social phobia extends to online gaming and ended playing solo.

Xanathus

It's a great time for you to start playing anyway since we're in between seasons and the next one starts in 8 days. Note that everyone will only be playing in Adventure mode then because you level faster and there's more stuff and it's more fun, but now's a good time for you to experience the wonderful story-telling of Diablo 3 (this is sarcasm btw) and finish the Campaign mode once and then you can probably find people leveling from 1 again at the start of the season. You should also probably know that people can generally level by themselves from 1 - 70 in ~3 hours or less, or even get powerleveled to 70 in 30 minutes.

Baliis

It's a great time for you to start playing anyway since we're in between seasons and the next one starts in 8 days. Note that everyone will only be playing in Adventure mode then because you level faster and there's more stuff and it's more fun, but now's a good time for you to experience the wonderful story-telling of Diablo 3 (this is sarcasm btw) and finish the Campaign mode once and then you can probably find people leveling from 1 again at the start of the season. You should also probably know that people can generally level by themselves from 1 - 70 in ~3 hours or less, or even get powerleveled to 70 in 30 minutes.

Or play WD and level in like 2 cuz WD is op at chain bonuses. I can't decide if I wanna do monk or just try WD again. I was WD in hardcore last season but I never really pushed it, just got to 75 for the conquest and or whatever.

Xanathus

Or play WD and level in like 2 cuz WD is op at chain bonuses. I can't decide if I wanna do monk or just try WD again. I was WD in hardcore last season but I never really pushed it, just got to 75 for the conquest and or whatever.
Yeah you can hit 70 an hour faster but after that you're playing WD... lol

Dunfisch

Dunno, I played the starter until I reached the limit cap. And I've been itching to go back for like forever until I now at last have the time during summer.

Regarding being the biggest idiot, I won that title when I bought WoW without having into account that my social phobia extends to online gaming and ended playing solo.

Noooo! Don't be a loner on D3-GAF. Join in and watch the fireworks in a glorious 4 man group :D . That reminds me, as Rogg said, you can PM me your Battletag and I'll add you to the EU clan, if you're not in there.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I had forgotten that you don't need to click on the gold to pick it. So good that it almost feels like cheating.

You can unlock pets at some points (cosmetic pets I mean, not actual WD skills) that pick up gold for you.

There are also items that extend your gold pickup radius by huge amounts.

[EDIT] Sent you a PM with my Battletag if you wanna play later.

Xanathus

So uh I haven't been keeping up with the PTR changes until now but is it true that Helltooth WDs are now the strongest solo GR pushing class, and potentially highest DPS in groups?
edit: seems it's only because everything else got nerfed lol and Helltooth got a flat damage buff

Baliis

So uh I haven't been keeping up with the PTR changes until now but is it true that Helltooth WDs are now the strongest solo GR pushing class, and potentially highest DPS in groups?
edit: seems it's only because everything else got nerfed lol and Helltooth got a flat damage buff

There was a buff to a WD ring as well I believe that gives them a good increase,

Noooo! Don't be a loner on D3-GAF. Join in and watch the fireworks in a glorious 4 man group :D . That reminds me, as Rogg said, you can PM me your Battletag and I'll add you to the EU clan, if you're not in there.

Mmm. That would be interesting, although I'd like to do a bit of single player first. I still need to get used to the controls, and see how my aged GTX 460 OC handles mobs after the first boss (What I got to play some months ago).

i can see that the game is massively streamlined compared to Diablo I & II, maybe that's why people hated it so much? I remember even people complaining about it being to colourful and that is should have been just black, grey and red.
I haven't played anything like this since Torchlight. And maybe Sacred 2, quite bashed and seen as "something to wait on Diablo III" despite how completely different it was.

I really don't get the appeal of power leveling yet, although I am obviously on my first character. I'm jumping blind into the game, for now just wanting to take it easy and enjoy the ride.

Xanathus

There was a buff to a WD ring as well I believe that gives them a good increase,

Yeah the Ring of Emptiness is the key component to it as well but the ring was already there in the previous season and isn't being changed for next patch so I was wondering what the difference was.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Mmm. That would be interesting, although I'd like to do a bit of single player first. I still need to get used to the controls, and see how my aged GTX 460 OC handles mobs after the first boss (What I got to play some months ago).

i can see that the game is massively streamlined compared to Diablo I & II, maybe that's why people hated it so much? I remember even people complaining about it being to colourful and that is should have been just black, grey and red.
I haven't played anything like this since Torchlight. And maybe Sacred 2, quite bashed and seen as "something to wait on Diablo III" despite how completely different it was.

I really don't get the appeal of power leveling yet, although I am obviously on my first character. I'm jumping blind into the game, for now just wanting to take it easy and enjoy the ride.

You're absolutely right. Powerleveling is for when you already know the game inside out and just want to get to the endgame.

Take your time, discover new places, new skills and new mechanics. You'll enjoy it... Well, except the story and writing themselves. Those suck.

HF2014

Separate. So Endless Walk will double your damage if it is at 100%. The damage calculation for most D3 skills is like 20+ variables long.

-Set bonuses
-Endless Walk
-Convection of Elements
-Leg gem damage boosts
-Focus and Restraint (both separate from each other)
-Element damage
-Skill damage
-Elite damage
-And others

Should all apply separate multiplicative bonuses.

Certain things are additive, either with itself or other boosts. Skill damage will add together with itself and then be its own multiplicative boost. IIRC the Mask of Jeram (+100% pet damage) is still added to the element boost damage. But it is so high you still want it for pet damage.

Other things like Enforcer used to be combined with other multipliers which lowered its effectiveness. A lot of things have been split apart for extra DPS through patches. But not all and you usually have to check the Blizz forums for each boost to know for sure.

Ex:

Old Enforcer combined with element damage:
40% Element + 30% Enforcer = 70% multiplier
100 damage x 70% = 170 damage

Patched Enforcer separate from element damage:
40% Element and 30% Enforcer
100 damage x 40% x 30% = 182 damage

EDIT - This is a neat one. Attack speed of the Witch Doctor affects pet's damage. A higher APS means they do more damge with each attack.

Hey thanks for this clarification. I gues ill stick with Endless Walk since it double my damage compare to a single spell a do so massive damage on one enemy at a time. Sometime its a bit hard to understand all the stats meaning in this game!

HF2014

Yeah the Ring of Emptiness is the key component to it as well but the ring was already there in the previous season and isn't being changed for next patch so I was wondering what the difference was.

I just cant wait. Boost from 100% to 300% is amazing. Got a feeling i will reach new lvls of greater rift with my build!

Sober

Ah yes, a new season means I can finally catch up on that backlog of podcasts I have from the last couple of months I never got around to. Easily the best way to lose a few hours.

So, one thing that bugs me: Is there something like a weapon type proficiency different per each class? I find it weird being able to equip on axe and a sword on a monk, so I imagine there's some sort of penalty if don't stick with hand/fist weapons? The only thing I can see is that it can be equipped or it can't. As simple as that?

Damn, a paper manual to check while playing (instead of having to check battle.net) would actually help. The cardboard covers are a cool touch, but physical editions are as depressing as usual.

Xanathus

So, one thing that bugs me: Is there something like a weapon type proficiency different per each class? I find it weird being able to equip on axe and a sword on a monk, so I imagine there's some sort of penalty if don't stick with hand/fist weapons? The only thing I can see is that it can be equipped or it can't. As simple as that?

Damn, a paper manual to check while playing (instead of having to check battle.net) would actually help. The cardboard covers are a cool touch, but physical editions are as depressing as usual.

Nope, there's no penalty to weapon type except for what you can or cannot use based on class. The only "hidden" mechanic is that when you're dual wielding you get a 15% attack speed bonus. However you shouldn't really care about that and just look at your total DPS on your character sheet. Generally 2-handed weapons will give you higher DPS but that changes at level 70 when Legendary effects come into play.

Also generally speaking class-specific weapons like fists and daibos tend to have higher stats than weapons that can be used by several classes.

Another thing with weapons is that the big number at the top is taking the weapons attack speed into account. Some builds rely on timing or cooldown so AS does not really matter. Those builds should focus on the two min max numbers below that. The average of those two numbers should be a more accurate indication of the weapon's damage.

Hey thanks for this clarification. I gues ill stick with Endless Walk since it double my damage compare to a single spell a do so massive damage on one enemy at a time. Sometime its a bit hard to understand all the stats meaning in this game!

There are a ton of hidden or inconsistent combat mechanics. It is really bad TBH.

Last season it only went to 100%, now it can roll 300%. Apparently some Jade WDs were pushing the highest WD solos for the PTR but HT Garg was still top for the group DPS role.

For the Seasonal Set Armor rewards, are they always Level 70 in stats, or will they be created at a lower level if one completes the reward while at that lower level?

For the Seasonal Set Armor rewards, are they always Level 70 in stats, or will they be created at a lower level if one completes the reward while at that lower level?

You have to be 70 to complete chapter 2. You don't start getting pieces until chapter 2 is completed.

Most of the class sets have a minimum level of 70 anyway.

Wallach

Feeling the itch for a new D3 season already. HT Garg immediately more fun to play for having Haunt on the bar so you don't get involved with door breaking fuckery. That shit drove me nuts.

Xanathus

Yeah I'm probably going WD this season too because I haven't played that for several seasons and because it's actually top tier now. Only downside of it is that I probably will want to solo the 1-70 grind instead of partying up like last times. Well maybe we can hang out on the D3 GAF Discord channel and say nothing at all.

Cipherr

makes sense - I'll probably go in to lurk mode soon, although I only got through GR70 solo, I think I can do better with a full season and better rolls (rng)

not much more to do after finishing all season objectives and chasing ancient rolls if the season ends in 5 days.

It was much more live last season. And probably even better the season before that in the GAF clan lol. I think at this point D3 is just in dire need of a new expansion. Im not sure how much S7 Im gonna bother playing. Im ready for new content.

Baliis

Yeah I'm probably going WD this season too because I haven't played that for several seasons and because it's actually top tier now. Only downside of it is that I probably will want to solo the 1-70 grind instead of partying up like last times. Well maybe we can hang out on the D3 GAF Discord channel and say nothing at all.

Damn, now I wanna roll WD too and race you lmao.

Zukuu

Banned
So I got a couple of question.

I come from 1.x Diablo 3 (stopped with the rep cost patch), without any experience with seasons, rifts, loot 2.0, useful non-rare items, paragon, kube and the like, so talk to me like I'm five.

I played WD with Hex [heal], Dart [splinters], Firebomb [roll], Wall [+slow], Grasp [+slow] and Spirit Walk [heal] with Pierce the Veil, Blood Ritual and Spirit Vessel. and enjoyed the (at that point absolutely required) kiting playstyle.

At first, I tried the Crusader and leveled him to 18 or so to test him out. Afterwards I leveled my WD to level 61 to test Piranha and watching a video of Piranha-Tornado in action, I decided I play WD again. I fooled around some more and tested all the skills here is on what I plan to use:

Actives:
Piranha [Tornado] to group them and then melt them with
Wall of Death [Firewall] and
Grasp of the Dead [Desperate Grasp]
Spirit Walk [Jaunt] is obviously a must

Passives:
Pierce the Veil
Spirit Vessel
Confidence Ritual

That leaves me with 2 active slots and 1 passive. From the little footage I watched, it seems that you fight large group of enemies most of the time, and that single champion packs don't pose the danger that they used to, so I thought about Firebomb [Roll the Bones] and primary attack. The last active slot could either go to a big cooldown like BBV or Fetish Army or to Hex [Increased damage] against tougher enemies or [Angry Chicken] for the quick AoE burst. Alternatively, Acid Cloud [not sure] for more AoE pew pew, but I ran oom pretty quickly (with level 60 gear from vendor, mind you).

I hate keeping up with buffs, so I would rather not use Soul Harvest. I also hate pets, in particular if they die the whole time. A single large one like Gargantuan is ok tho.

For the passive slots Fetish, because I guess you would have a ridiculous amount of them or Grave Injustice, seeing how many enemies die around you. That 1 sec CD reduction could be abused so hard. Tho, I fear my mana will not be able to keep up with that.

I've also read in the Season 7 primer that you get "Helltooth" (for free(?)) during the season [how does that work actually?] and it reads absolutely bonkers with what I plan to use. This would also make Firebomb a real good DPS and slow spell due to Necrosis. Firewall sounds like it will become ridiculous and primary source of damage.

Is this semi viable? Are there better skills to use that I don't realize? I don't need to compete at the very top, I just want to farm some loot with my friends. Now, keep in mind I have no knowledge of how to add passive legendaries, which gear actually exist apart from Helltooth and the like.

Any pointers? Where can I about all the gear and gems? What would be some beneficial effects to have passively around?

edit:
Speaking of which. Is attack speed useful here? Does it increase the proc frequency of Firewall and the like?

Baliis

So I got a couple of question.

I come from 1.x Diablo 3 (stopped with the rep cost patch), without any experience with seasons, rifts, loot 2.0, useful non-rare items, paragon, kube and the like, so talk to me like I'm five.

I played WD with Hex [heal], Dart [splinters], Firebomb [roll], Wall [+slow], Grasp [+slow] and Spirit Walk [heal] with Pierce the Veil, Blood Ritual and Spirit Vessel. and enjoyed the (at that point absolutely required) kiting playstyle.

At first, I tried the Crusader and leveled him to 18 or so to test him out. Afterwards I leveled my WD to level 61 to test Piranha and watching a video of Piranha-Tornado in action, I decided I play WD again. I fooled around some more and tested all the skills here is on what I plan to use:

Actives:
Piranha [Tornado] to group them and then melt them with
Wall of Death [Firewall] and
Grasp of the Dead [Desperate Grasp]
Spirit Walk [Jaunt] is obviously a must

Passives:
Pierce the Veil
Spirit Vessel
Confidence Ritual

That leaves me with 2 active slots and 1 passive. From the little footage I watched, it seems that you fight large group of enemies most of the time, and that single champion packs don't pose the danger that they used to, so I thought about Firebomb [Roll the Bones] and primary attack. The last active slot could either go to a big cooldown like BBV or Fetish Army or to Hex [Increased damage] against tougher enemies or [Angry Chicken] for the quick AoE burst. Alternatively, Acid Cloud [not sure] for more AoE pew pew, but I ran oom pretty quickly (with level 60 gear from vendor, mind you).

I hate keeping up with buffs, so I would rather not use Soul Harvest. I also hate pets, in particular if they die the whole time. A single large one like Gargantuan is ok tho.

For the passive slots Fetish, because I guess you would have a ridiculous amount of them or Grave Injustice, seeing how many enemies die around you. That 1 sec CD reduction could be abused so hard. Tho, I fear my mana will not be able to keep up with that.

I've also read in the Season 7 primer that you get "Helltooth" (for free(?)) during the season [how does that work actually?] and it reads absolutely bonkers with what I plan to use. This would also make Firebomb a real good DPS and slow spell due to Necrosis. Firewall sounds like it will become ridiculous and primary source of damage.

Is this semi viable? Are there better skills to use that I don't realize? I don't need to compete at the very top, I just want to farm some loot with my friends. Now, keep in mind I have no knowledge of how to add passive legendaries, which gear actually exist apart from Helltooth and the like.

Any pointers? Where can I about all the gear and gems? What would be some beneficial effects to have passively around?

edit:
Speaking of which. Is attack speed useful here? Does it increase the proc frequency of Firewall and the like?

You're on the right track, for passives probably do Grave Injustice (CD reduction is OP) and swap probably pierce the veil for Gruesome Feast, gives you mana and a ton of int from health globes. Then depending on you weapon one of your actives will be like Zombie Bears if you have a Scrimshaw, Acid Blob if you have a Diviner, etc., and that will be your main damage dealer.

I do suggest going Soul Harvest though, even if its a pain to manage, the bonus int and armor from the Languish rune is really really good.

If you want a more passive playstyle, the flavor of the season is probably gonna be a Garg build unless someone discovers something better. Revolves around Short Man's ring for more, buffer gargs + ring of emptiness for a big damage increase when haunt and locust swarm are up. Again though, you're gonna want Soul Harvest. 10 stacks with Sacred Harvester + Languish + Lakumba's Ornament is so much damage reduction.

Also, the Enforcer legendary gem gives pets 90% damage reduction at level 25, so your pets basically never die except at super high GR levels.

If you're just playing for fun, you'll prob wanna focus around Helltooth + the Manajumas weapons for some crazy chicken action, you run so fast its hilarious. Really just for doing normal rifts, there's a lot you can fuck around with because eventually you out gear everything so hard that you blow everything up and can barely be touched.

Just for reference, this is what I was using to farm T10 last season
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Baliis-1759/hero/75512059

Celegus

It was much more live last season. And probably even better the season before that in the GAF clan lol. I think at this point D3 is just in dire need of a new expansion. Im not sure how much S7 Im gonna bother playing. Im ready for new content.

Yeah, back when seasons actually... changed things. The last few have all felt pretty much the same, which isn't particularly exciting. I'll probably just play enough for the stash tab again.

Zukuu

Banned
I was just looking for legendary rings that I could use (apart from SoJ I found them very lackluster tho), and stumbled upon the set rings Restraint + Focus. Wtf, how is that balance in comparison?
My question is: The "resource generating" part seems rather difficult for WD to incorporate unless you take Mana Spiders or Mana Darts or do "primary attacks" that don't cost mana trigger it anyway? (e.g. Firebombs)

I was just looking for legendary rings that I could use (apart from SoJ I found them very lackluster tho), and stumbled upon the set rings Restraint + Focus. Wtf, how is that balance in comparison?
My question is: The "resource generating" part seems rather difficult for WD to incorporate unless you take Mana Spiders or Mana Darts or do "primary attacks" that don't cost mana trigger it anyway? (e.g. Firebombs)

Generators are all the primaries, and in some rare cases some other skills that can be runed to give ressources back, but for the most part primaries. That's any rune of the primaries, not just mana spider.

It's a very strong set of rings, used to be BiS on every build, but they also added Traveller's Pledge which has a ring+neck set that gives 100%damage when standing still and 50%dmg reduction when moving, that's fairly similar and lets you use another ring, which tends to compensate for being a bit less damage than F+R. Also you don't need a primary with that setup, which for some builds frees up a lot of space.

Only a few builds across every class don't use either of those sets.

Baliis

Sounds good, would make the grind interesting.

I'm guessing you were using that because you're too lazy to swap out to Arachyr gear? :p Or was it because you were on HC?

I just liked helltooth better. Roll into elites as a chicken, gargs one shot elite, move on. My Arachyr gear kinda sucked too so sometimes in-geom would fall off while trying to kill the elite and I'd be fucked lol.

So TIL that the skill damage boosts on gear are only a separate multiplicative bonus for pet damage. Otherwise they get dumped into the buff and debuff category for damage calculation.

This shit can get so convoluted.

EDIT - And Taeguk is an additive bonus. No wonder my WW Barb sucked.

Zukuu

Banned
Generators are all the primaries, and in some rare cases some other skills that can be runed to give ressources back, but for the most part primaries. That's any rune of the primaries, not just mana spider.

It's a very strong set of rings, used to be BiS on every build, but they also added Traveller's Pledge which has a ring+neck set that gives 100%damage when standing still and 50%dmg reduction when moving, that's fairly similar and lets you use another ring, which tends to compensate for being a bit less damage than F+R. Also you don't need a primary with that setup, which for some builds frees up a lot of space.

Only a few builds across every class don't use either of those sets.
I saw the other one. How is "standing still" determined? Say I cast firewall. The moment I cast it I stand still no matter what, right? So does the effect procc? If yes, does the firewall 100% more damage for its entire duration is the individual tick increased as long as I keep standing still and if I move it goes back to normal?

edit:
Just watched an explanation video. I think I rather stick with F+R. I want to have firebombs anyway. :3 Do I need to give it the legendary affix "Generates 200 mana" via the cube for it to work?

Anyone with low-level (Lv15-ish range) character up for some coop with a new guy working his way through the campaign?

B.NID is SaberVS7 #1480 - In North America.

Wallach

I saw the other one. How is "standing still" determined? Say I cast firewall. The moment I cast it I stand still no matter what, right? So does the effect procc? If yes, does the firewall 100% more damage for its entire duration is the individual tick increased as long as I keep standing still and if I move it goes back to normal?

edit:
Just watched an explanation video. I think I rather stick with F+R. I want to have firebombs anyway. :3 Do I need to give it the legendary affix "Generates 200 mana" via the cube for it to work?

It updates dynamically. I would also keep in mind that with 2.4.2 they will be buffing the Ring of Emptiness to grant +300% damage against enemies affected by both Haunt and Locust Swarm; that damage bonus makes it the most powerful ring in the game by a pretty significant margin, and is WD-specific. There's also another WD-specific ring that makes your Gargantuan split into 3 smaller Gargantuans, while also making each individual Gargantuan hit three times as hard as a normal Gargantuan.

Between those two rings, it becomes really hard to justify running Focus & Restraint most of the time on a WD, unless you get the set as a very early drop before you've found better items in those slots (in which case they're still totally worth using and adjusting your build for at that point).

Zukuu

Banned
It updates dynamically. I would also keep in mind that with 2.4.2 they will be buffing the Ring of Emptiness to grant +300% damage against enemies affected by both Haunt and Locust Swarm; that damage bonus makes it the most powerful ring in the game by a pretty significant margin, and is WD-specific. There's also another WD-specific ring that makes your Gargantuan split into 3 smaller Gargantuans, while also making each individual Gargantuan hit three times as hard as a normal Gargantuan.

Between those two rings, it becomes really hard to justify running Focus & Restraint most of the time on a WD, unless you get the set as a very early drop before you've found better items in those slots (in which case they're still totally worth using and adjusting your build for at that point).
That's a lot of damage indeed. But haunting everything in sight + swarm sounds very bothersome. (I do need to cast BOTH for it to work, right?) I don't particularly care for dots [or pets]. Even in D2 I played bone necromancer and ignored all pets and dots. Bone spear, ghosts and corpse explosion all day, every day.

Basically, it's 125% damage boost + very easy to upkeep and not bother, vs having to cast 2 particular spells on all targets just to get the damage boost.

Currently trying to theorycraft my gear / skills. I hope it plays out well enough. If I struggle to hard I can always just swap. For the moment, I just try to maximize my build without having to resort to tactics I personally find unfun (like a pet dedicated build).

Like, what would be the best gems for a straight forward grasp / firewall / tornado build?
Bane of the Trapped is a given. It seems very great. Gem of Efficacious Toxin sounds ridiculous, bit I can't judge that since I haven't played. Is it any good?

For the last I'm unsure. Is Esoteric Alteration a good defense gem? How much can you feel it? Molten Wildebeest’s Gizzard sounds nice as well as def option. Lastly. Bane of the Stricken sounds neat, but I guess it's more for fast-attacking characters. Does it procc with Efficacious Toxins?

Generally speaking, all 3 bane gems tend to be the top choices for damage gems. Trapped being a must have for basically everyone but supports, Powerful being good in all setups but doesn't scale the damage and Stricken especially for builds with low single target damage(which a firewall build would be for the most part). Attackspeed doesn't matter that much because most rift guardians at higher GRs last for 4-5mins so you'll get that shit stacked up regardless. It's however terrible if you're not doing high GRs, as stuff dies too quickly. Esoteric is great as a defensive gem, so is Gizzard(but Gizzard tends to be better as a secondary defensive gem, if the setup allows, other than on Wizard due to them double shields). Toxins is generally a group or flash farming gem, the debuff it applies works for allies and it's good when you're running through trash mobs while farming normal rifts since it'll finish stuff. But if you're soloing, Bane of the Powerful is going to be more damage.

Wallach

That's a lot of damage indeed. But haunting everything in sight + swarm sounds very bothersome. (I do need to cast BOTH for it to work, right?) I don't particularly care for dots [or pets]. Even in D2 I played bone necromancer and ignored all pets and dots. Bone spear, ghosts and corpse explosion all day, every day.

Basically, it's 125% damage boost + very easy to upkeep and not bother, vs having to cast 2 particular spells on all targets just to get the damage boost.

Currently trying to theorycraft my gear / skills. I hope it plays out well enough. If I struggle to hard I can always just swap. For the moment, I just try to maximize my build without having to resort to tactics I personally find unfun (like a pet dedicated build).

Like, what would be the best gems for a straight forward grasp / firewall / tornado build?
Bane of the Trapped is a given. It seems very great. Gem of Efficacious Toxin sounds ridiculous, bit I can't judge that since I haven't played. Is it any good?

For the last I'm unsure. Is Esoteric Alteration a good defense gem? How much can you feel it? Molten Wildebeest’s Gizzard sounds nice as well as def option. Lastly. Bane of the Stricken sounds neat, but I guess it's more for fast-attacking characters. Does it procc with Efficacious Toxins?

Spamming Locust Swarm is indeed bothersome, because it is a huge mana drain to cast it even once. To get around this, a lot of folks will prefer put the legendary staff The Wormwood into their Kanai's Cube, which will put an aura around you that will cast Locust Swarm automatically for free once every few seconds. Since it spreads on its own from there, you can get this effect for free through the staff effect rather than actually put Locust Swarm on your bar. That just leaves you to apply Haunt, which while being a single target (or double target depending on your rune choice) per cast, is a pretty cheap spell and can be spammed somewhat freely, and jumps to new targets when the current target dies.

If you're trying to ignore pets on the Witch Doctor, I'd consider looking at the Jade Harvester set; I know you mentioned you don't care for maintaining Soul Harvest, but the truth is the Witch Doctor has become highly dependent on the buff (which is a lot easier to maintain now, by the way) due to the Lakumba's Ornament bracer. Since that bracer now grants 6% damage mitigation per stack of Soul Harvest, once combined with the double stack cap from Soul Harvester ceremonial knife and the Armor increasing rune of Soul Harvest itself, trying to run without it leaves you with an unbelievably huge hole to try and solve once you start getting into things like Torment X or higher, and especially even higher Greater Rifts. Aside from Soul Harvest though, the Jade Harvest set has nothing to do with pets and lets you spread way more powerful DoT effects and then drop enormous nukes. Because of the combo of Jade Harvester set buffs and the Ring of Emptiness change I mentioned before, in 2.4.2 the set got a lot more powerful, with the only caveat being that it is still significantly behind the Zunimassa or Helltooth based pet builds in terms of damage mitigation.

In general though, the way I feel like is most effective to play Diablo when starting either a new ladder / season or just starting out altogether is to let the drops become your build plan, and not go in with a set build in mind. When you're starting with no options, the best thing you can do is let the drops you do get in the early game lead you to the skills you should be using. That will allow you to level the fastest, and be the most efficient right as you are hitting 70 and can get your first Haedrig's Gift set pieces, which in turn you can continue to allow to guide how you should build. It's really a bit later once you are in a position where you have accumulated enough items and power where you can farm effectively around Torment X difficulty that you might want to consider actively trying to target farm other pieces and move your build in a different direction. That way you don't set out with an idea in mind, have no luck getting the drops that will enable your build to really be effective, but be stuck trying to use your build idea in low difficulties and lowering how much loot you are getting. Thus you wind up progressing towards your actual goal dramatically slower and without anything to really show for it.

As far as offensive gems, you're right that Bane of the Trapped is generally the best offensive gem. Witch Doctor in particular has little trouble finding access to slow effects from skills, and the damage bonus is one of the largest multiplicative bonuses that applies to all enemy targets and all your damage. So that should have a spot in your gear. Beyond that, since you're not using pets and won't need Enforcer, you'll likely want something like Bane of the Powerful at the outset which is another good "all-around" legendary gem that gives you another +20% multiplicative damage (which doesn't scale up per rank, instead the duration you get to keep the buff after killing an elite pack goes up) and then even more damage versus Elites. For the third slot, it'd depend if you need the defense or can afford to run all three offensive; something like Bane of the Stricken is good if you are running a build that struggles a bit with single target DPS (and thus will need to spend more time fighting a Rift Guardian), or if you need the defense Esoteric Alteration tends to be the most effective defensive option in terms of raw mitigation. Gem of Effacacious Toxin tends to be more of a group play support gem, where you apply the poison so your entire team gets the benefit of the increased damage from all sources, as the damage of the gem's DoT effect isn't that impressive being spread over 10 seconds.

I think the legendary gems are actually a really good target to work on first, alongside doing a couple rounds of bounties and unlocking your Kanai's Cube when you start the new season so that you can more quickly get the big boosts from the legendary gem effects and get your first three Kanai's Cube passive effects active as soon as possible. That will be a lot more effective than trying to focus on a particular skill build while you're still at the mercy of your early game drops, since those legendary gems will be useful in pretty much any build. For your initial Kanai's Cube conversions, I'd probably look for either items that will benefit most builds (something like the Convention of Elements ring or The Furnace 2H mace which will offer damage boosts to any build), or key pieces that will compliment your initial Haedrig's Gift set to allow you to jump further up in difficulty sooner (say a Tasker and Theo gloves, Mask of Jeram voodoo mask, or Ring of Emptiness). If possible try to convert legendaries for Kanai's Cube that have a lot of variance in their legendary effect, rather than something like say Short Man's Finger which always confers the same benefit from its legendary effect without any roll range. Items that are converted into Kanai's Cube grant their legendary effects at their maximum values, so it's a good way to turn what might happen to be a really crappy rolled legendary into something much more useful.

Zukuu

Banned
Generally speaking, all 3 bane gems tend to be the top choices for damage gems. Trapped being a must have for basically everyone but supports, Powerful being good in all setups but doesn't scale the damage and Stricken especially for builds with low single target damage(which a firewall build would be for the most part). Attackspeed doesn't matter that much because most rift guardians at higher GRs last for 4-5mins so you'll get that shit stacked up regardless. It's however terrible if you're not doing high GRs, as stuff dies too quickly. Esoteric is great as a defensive gem, so is Gizzard(but Gizzard tends to be better as a secondary defensive gem, if the setup allows, other than on Wizard due to them double shields). Toxins is generally a group or flash farming gem, the debuff it applies works for allies and it's good when you're running through trash mobs while farming normal rifts since it'll finish stuff. But if you're soloing, Bane of the Powerful is going to be more damage.
Just looking through more and more gear and after finding Jeram's Bracers, I think I can safely assume I'm playing some sort of Firewall build + Helltooth.

With that information, which gems would you recommend? I will play with a group of 2-4 (casually tho, so everyone will do damage, not that 3 supports, 1 attacker crap) and also plan to farm solo quite often I presume.

Bane of the Stricken
Bane of the Trapped
and Bane of the Powerful? Seems straight forward. Hope I can keep up with the health tho.

What about cubed legendaries?

So far I think I will go with
Armor: Grin Reaper
Trinket: Convention of Elements (can make use of Fire obviously and poison doesn't hurt when I cast Grasp of the Dead and Tornado).
Weapon: Wormwood or Furnance or Henri's or ???

Wormwood sounds awesome (I assume the damage scales), but I'm conflicted whether to take Emptiness and use Haunt on tougher enemies for that sweet 300% damage increase or simply use the CoE for a less bothersome upkeep and "do and forget" mentality and get 200% occasionally. Really undecided.

Gearwise the weapon + (potentially) offhand slot are my biggest undecided things. None seem particular "must have" to me. Not sure if I should go 2h or 1h + mojo. Henri's sounds like it can single handedly give me the defense I need, since I don't use languish. 20y pickup range also sounds great, tho. The angry chicken hex-set thing also reads like it could be very viable. Devastator has +% firedamage on it, but no affix. (which would theoretically be better? Wormwood as weapon and Henri as cube or wormwood as cube and 1h + Henri as weapon?)

Belt: Transcendence. If it works like I think it does, this is bonkers.
Set: Full Helltooth
Rings: Restraint and Favor
Neck: Hellfire amulet with ?? (Gruesome Feast or Swampland)? passive or Etlich with firedamage

Getting closer and closer to a refined version. Thanks so far.

edit: Thanks Wallach too.
Of course I will improvise as I'm getting drops. This is purely theoretical to know what I should roughly aim for. Seems without languish I should really look for some more defense options.

Also, do converted lengedaries stay available to me, so I can swap them around or are they completely overridden?

Just looking through more and more gear and after finding Jeram's Bracers, I think I can safely assume I'm playing some sort of Firewall build + Helltooth.

With that information, which gems would you recommend? I will play with a group of 2-4 (casually tho, so everyone will do damage, not that 3 supports, 1 attacker crap) and also plan to farm solo quite often I presume.

Bane of the Stricken
Bane of the Trapped
and Bane of the Powerful? Seems straight forward. Hope I can keep up with the health tho.

What about cubed legendaries?

So far I think I will go with
Armor: Grin Reaper
Trinket: Convention of Elements (can make use of Fire obviously and poison doesn't hurt when I cast Grasp of the Dead and Tornado).
Weapon: Wormwood or Furnance or Henri's or ???

Wormwood sounds awesome (I assume the damage scales), but I'm conflicted whether to take Emptiness and use Haunt on tougher enemies for that sweet 300% damage increase or simply use the CoE for a less bothersome upkeep and "do and forget" mentality and get 200% occasionally. Really undecided.

Gearwise the weapon + (potentially) offhand slot are my biggest undecided things. None seem particular "must have" to me. Not sure if I should go 2h or 1h + mojo. Henri's sounds like it can single handedly give me the defense I need, since I don't use languish. 20y pickup range also sounds great, tho. The angry chicken hex-set thing also reads like it could be very viable. Devastator has +% firedamage on it, but no affix. (which would theoretically be better? Wormwood as weapon and Henri as cube or wormwood as cube and 1h + Henri as weapon?)

Belt: Transcendence. If it works like I think it does, this is bonkers.
Set: Full Helltooth
Rings: Restraint and Favor
Neck: Hellfire amulet with ?? (Gruesome Feast or Swampland)? passive or Etlich with firedamage

Getting closer and closer to a refined version. Thanks so far.

edit: Thanks Wallach too.
Of course I will improvise as I'm getting drops. This is purely theoretical to know what I should roughly aim for. Seems without languish I should really look for some more defense options.

Also, do converted lengedaries stay available to me, so I can swap them around or are they completely overridden?

On gems, really depends on your needs, if you feel too squishy drop one for esoteric, otherwise just have the 3 banes I think it's fine.

For cube Wormwood is meh for HT I believe because it's not buffed by the set, but I haven't played WD in several patches so maybe it was changed. Generally Furnace is what you want for damage, or if you want a bit more support, you can run Starmetal Kukri with Big Bad Voodoo replacing one of your skills(say piranhas or whatever) and using Belt of Transcendence or the passive for fetish generation. If you have ring of emptiness though Wormwood would be more damage.

For weapons back in the day firewall HT was popular, the good weapon was the zombie bear spear, but honestly I'm not sure that's great anymore. I have no idea what people run nowadays.

You should probably check Diablofans for guides, while most will show you the actual best build, you can get some good ideas to do your own stuff until you have all the gear and what not.

Top Bottom