• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

Can someone please help me decide if I should get this or not? I used to love playing Diablo 2 back when it was released (one of the top 10 games in my list). So for those who used to love Diablo 2, is this game as good as that or worse or better? Help me decide if its worth putting time in this game? I am thinking about getting for PS4 or PS3. Thanks!
Haven't really played Diablo since the PS1 version, but D3 is a ton of fun. Having moved from vanilla D3 on PS3 to UEE on PS4, get the PS4 version, without question. It's a lot easier to tell what's happening, and everything is nice and snappy.

Matriox

Can someone please help me decide if I should get this or not? I used to love playing Diablo 2 back when it was released (one of the top 10 games in my list). So for those who used to love Diablo 2, is this game as good as that or worse or better? Help me decide if its worth putting time in this game? I am thinking about getting for PS4 or PS3. Thanks!

Personally, as far as better games are concerned I prefer Diablo 2. However, that may be nostalgia talking a lot, but I also liked the talent tree system and blah blah blah. As for me today, Yes Diablo 3 is definately worth it and I would pick 3 over 2 only because I get to play it on my console which is now the only way I want to play Diablo and because my friends are also on D3 rather than D2.

Sanctuary

Personally, as far as better games are concerned I prefer Diablo 2. However, that may be nostalgia talking a lot, but I also liked the talent tree system and blah blah blah. As for me today, Yes Diablo 3 is definately worth it and I would pick 3 over 2 only because I get to play it on my console which is now the only way I want to play Diablo and because my friends are also on D3 rather than D2.

Nah, Diablo 2 was just so much more addictive and had a lot more replay value for the long term, even if that aspect was somewhat forced via having to reroll entire characters; until they implenented the respec shit anyway. The graphics engine has not aged well at all though, and it's really ugly on a modern screen. Diablo 3 is also a lot more fluid, even if it's too cartoony looking.

Quick question about legendary items. Are they rolled when you examine them, or when the game decides it's intended for '(

I saw elsewhere you should save up gifts at least for level 70. If you should save up in identified legends then I am sad because I opened all mine on the way up :(

joeblow

Im Seeing this a lot in the thread, Blizzard does a terrible job of showing you how to progress your gear so I'll give people a hand.

Ignore any gear you get before level 70, this is a big thing , IGNORE BLIZZARD IN GAME GREEN AND RED ARROWS!!!

They suck and often make you sell/salvage upgrades. Now we have that out the way lets start with your first gear set, I recommend running bountys on normal in act 1 , this gets you rift frags and a chance at RoRG, now for the gear,

These are the stats you wanna look at for gear,

Rings,

Main stat (str/dex/int)
Crit chance
Crit damage
Your stat of choice

Amulet,

Main stat
Crit chance
Crit damage
Stat of your choice

Helm,

Main stat
Vit
Crit chance
Socket or all res

Bracers ,

Main stat
Vit
Crit chance
Ele dmg or all res/armour

Legs and chest and shoulder and Belt,

Main stat
Vit
All res/armour
2 sockets for legs
3 sockets for chest

Weapons,

Main stat
Socket (ALWAYS SOCKET YOUR WEAPON!(Emerald)

Following these items in just yellows you should be looking at around 400-600k damage and torment 1 will be face roll and it's a good base for you to move to the next level of gear.

Always remember that if you find gear with one stat missing you can use the mystic to add the other, running bountys on normal you should complete the set in a few hours.
Nice D3 upgrade summary post.

Why did no one tell me Diablo is like crack?

This is my firs ever Diablo game so I picked this up for PS3 today. Next thing I know I getting off after a 2 hour co-op session with three randoms. Game is actually a lot simpler to pick up and understand than I was expecting.

Course I'm only a level 12 Monk right now.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ah. Is there any ETA?

Yea, I'm guessing at least a month before consoles get it, very likely much longer. Gotta test, adjust lots of code, apply for cert across four unique platforms, wait for Sony/MS to test on their end and gain approval for the different platforms, then consider leadtime for a simultaneous launch to not give competitive advantage. Hell, I'd be surprised if its even released this holiday.

I just picked it up recently. Played it for several hours. I can quite put my finger on why, but I just simply prefer Torchlight 2 over this. Maybe its that the flow is better on TL2, or the variance of skills or the overall aesthetics, but I'm left disappointed. It just feels more like a remake of an old school arcade game like Gauntlet Legends.

Sanctuary

This is my firs ever Diablo game so I picked this up for PS3 today. Next thing I know I getting off after a 2 hour co-op session with three randoms. Game is actually a lot simpler to pick up and understand than I was expecting.

HAH...HAH...HAHAHAHA, two hours? You aren't even close to the precipice of full blown addiction yet. After all of the issues I've had (especially the original version at launch), and still have, I think I've dumped 600 hours into it easily.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I just picked it up recently. Played it for several hours. I can quite put my finger on why, but I just simply prefer Torchlight 2 over this. Maybe its that the flow is better on TL2, or the variance of skills or the overall aesthetics, but I'm left disappointed. It just feels more like a remake of an old school arcade game like Gauntlet Legends.

Well this certainly won't dissuade me from buying it.

You should save them for you level 70 character, don't open them right away or at least not until you 70.

why does blizzard want nubs to fall into this most fundamental trap, but they tip esoteric stuff during the loading bar? Is it to punish people for not reading beginners guides, or did they just forget?
serious question I love the game, but feel like it added hours of grinding to get the 10 legends I could have had by now..

Lazyslob

Banned
im happy they fixed the pets for the witch doctor. instead of the fetishes and dogs standing around looking pretty they go apeshit now

New002

HAH...HAH...HAHAHAHA, two hours? You aren't even close to the precipice of full blown addiction yet. After all of the issues I've had (especially the original version at launch), and still have, I think I've dumped 600 hours into it easily.

Truth. Report back when that 2 hour session becomes an all-day session D:

Bacon

So I load up the game after not playing since saturday and I have about 6-10 mystery gifts in my mailbox. I start accepting the gifts out of my mailbox and suddenly my game crashes. When I load it back up I lost all the mystery gifts! So annoying! Not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but I figured it was worth a share.

Brandon F

Most of us loved Diablo 2 and still can find faults as to why this game doesn't quite match that older experience, but its all kind of moot given how modernized D3 is in comparison. The same addictive allure still persists and it would be hard not to recommend this port to anyone with a positive attitude toward the franchise.

I mean just casually browse random pages in this massive thread and at any given page its overwhelmingly gushing aside from the occasional nitpick(imbalanced default difficulty or some severe endgame class issue).

BigDug13

Except for, you know...actually having "builds" that you're stuck with. Greater rifts somewhat mitigate this finally, but I don't really know that swapping skills in regular rifts was that prevelant to begin with. The game in its current form is tremendously better than what we started with, but there's still too much WoWification for my tastes (and I played WoW for six years in a raiding guild).

It's no Diablo 2 (discounting techological advancements), but I guess it's not a bad second best.

Hopefully with the "WoWification" of Diablo 3, we will also get WoW-level expansion support, unlike Diablo 2. Diablo 2 was great, but those 5 Acts get old. Same with the 5 acts of Diablo 3. But if they go the WoW-route and continue to support this game with expansion after expansion, this game might have some tremendous legs.

Matriox

Meh, the fact that folks just input the codes for legendary weapons then run to TL2 online bugged me that I didn't want to play anymore. Also, being like Gauntlet Legends is a wonderful way to describe it, and is exactly why I am loving it so much. I had thought about that a couple of days ago and it does feel uber similar.

Hopefully with the "WoWification" of Diablo 3, we will also get WoW-level expansion support, unlike Diablo 2. Diablo 2 was great, but those 5 Acts get old. Same with the 5 acts of Diablo 3. But if they go the WoW-route and continue to support this game with expansion after expansion, this game might have some tremendous legs.

Also really worried about this.. I did love how quickly LoD came out after Diablo 2 and it seemed to add soo much content compared to D3 and RoS. I will continue to buy expansions so long as they keep throwing them out there, but this 2 year at a time shit is too slow for me personally.

EDIT; Diablo 2 came out June 2000 and LoD came out June 2001, vs Diablo 3 came out May 2012 and RoS came out March 2014 for reference.

why does blizzard want nubs to fall into this most fundamental trap, but they tip esoteric stuff during the loading bar? Is it to punish people for not reading beginners guides, or did they just forget?
serious question I love the game, but feel like it added hours of grinding to get the 10 legends I could have had by now..

Well, there is nothing wrong with opening them early, doesn't matter of what level your character is, you just gonna get the gift that will be at your character level and will be suited for that class. |Saving gifts is just an efficient way to get some good legendary items for your level 70 character.

this is a Diablo 3 OT not Sacred 3.

Try playing another Class, and please make sure you bought the ultimate evil edition and NOT just vanilla. cause that would be sad if you just bough vanilla, Adventure mode and the 5th extra act in Ultimate Evil edition are ace additions!

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll go for the PS4 and hopefully get my son into it too so we can co-op :). Hopefully its suitable for a 12 year old.

Matriox

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll go for the PS4 and hopefully get my son into it too so we can co-op :). Hopefully its suitable for a 12 year old.

I played diablo and diablo 2 when I was 10, I think he'll be alright, its a lot better for kids than D1 or 2 was Imo.

Will there even be another expansion?

They always had just 1 expansion for Diablo in the past.

It's been ages since I played D2 or D1 but I don't see D3 being all that different.

Quality of the story and skill trees notwithstanding.

So I load up the game after not playing since saturday and I have about 6-10 mystery gifts in my mailbox. I start accepting the gifts out of my mailbox and suddenly my game crashes. When I load it back up I lost all the mystery gifts! So annoying! Not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but I figured it was worth a share.

This has happened to me on the PS4 as well. Lost about a dozen mail gifts :(

Brandon F

Yea I haven't really bothered waiting on Legendaries myself. I don't think it is wise to even outright tell players not to open Legendary gifts in loadtips. It just makes the level progression that more dull sticking to yellow/blues until sifting through dozens of oranges the moment you ding 70. Goes against the nature of the experience, even if it may be less efficient in the long-run.

Don't see it as punishing the player by avoiding to tell them to ignore those gifts and just enjoy the experience. The thrill isn't isolated to the 70 min/max hunt after all, but the stories and rewards during that journey is of equal importance to many.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Yea I haven't really bothered waiting on Legendaries myself. I don't think it is wise to even outright tell players not to open Legendary gifts in loadtips. It just makes the level progression that more dull sticking to yellow/blues until sifting through dozens of oranges the moment you ding 70. Goes against the nature of the experience, even if it may be less efficient in the long-run.

Don't see it as punishing the player by avoiding to tell them to ignore those gifts and just enjoy the experience. The thrill isn't isolated to the 70 min/max hunt after all, but the stories and rewards during that journey is of equal importance to many.

I have opened multiple gifts at 70 and just got yellows. I wouldn't keep them. Open and enjoy otherwise you could just get ten pieces of trash gear.

Sanctuary

So far at least, it does seem like Diablo 3 is being supported a lot more than Diablo 2 ever was. Although sadly, it's taken this much support to get the game to where it is right now, and it's still inferior to Diablo 2 for their respective times. If Blizzard keeps the support of this active for the next couple of years, who knows?

I have opened multiple gifts at 70 and just got yellows. I wouldn't keep them. Open and enjoy otherwise you could just get ten pieces of trash gear.

I've seen conflicting reports about how the scaling of gifts actually works too. Some claim that as long as they are left in the mailbox they will scale with your level, because they supposedly become tied to the level you are when you take them out of the mail, not when you ID them.

We tried to tell ya

Surge

So I was just in a group on master difficulty and a level 38 comes into the game, go to check his inventory and he's got level 70 items equipped just destroying everything in his path.

So far at least, it does seem like Diablo 3 is being supported a lot more than Diablo 2 ever was. Although sadly, it's taken this much support to get the game to where it is right now, and it's still inferior to Diablo 2 for their respective times. If Blizzard keeps the support of this active for the next couple of years, who knows?

I've seen conflicting reports about how the scaling of gifts actually works too. Some claim that as long as they are left in the mailbox they will scale with your level, because they supposedly become tied to the level you are when you take them out of the mail, not when you ID them.

I believe gifts are based on who sent them. I'm 70 in T3-4 and getting yellows from some of them.

Matriox

So I was just in a group on master difficulty and a level 38 comes into the game, go to check his inventory and he's got level 70 items equipped just destroying everything in his path.

Just out of curiosity, was his level in blue? That means he was level 70 and paragon level 38.

Jabba

Banned
I'm level 70, 22 paragon. Finished Act V but torment 1, adveture mode, isn't available. Playing on expert right now. Looked around google and says you need to be level 60. I gotta be doing something wrong.

Sanctuary

I'm just starting Last of Us Rift if anyone wants to join. Ferrolla33.

This is why I can't stand console exclusive DLC. It makes sense if you don't own a PS3/PS4 or have simply never played games where you'd get the references, but something as big as that should have been on the PC version too. The majority of easter eggs/themes that Blizzard puts into their games comes from a wide spectrum of sources anyway. Buying the PS3/PS4 version of this game is in no way worth it if you already own the PC version just for the DLC.

Before anyone replies with some typical bullshit; no, this is not "port begging".

I'm level 70, 22 paragon. Finished Act V but torment 1, adveture mode, isn't available. Playing on expert right now. Looked around google and says you need to be level 60. I gotta be doing something wrong.

You just have to kill
Malthael
. You also don't have to be level 70. Sorry, I only have the PS3 version of Diablo 3, so I'm not sure how the menus look in game, but on the PC you just choose between Campaign and Adventure Mode in the game settings.

This is why I can't stand console exclusive DLC. It makes sense if you don't own a PS3/PS4 or have simply never played games where you'd get the references, but something as big as that should have been on the PC version too. The majority of easter eggs/themes that Blizzard puts into their games comes from a wide spectrum of sources anyway. Buying the PS3/PS4 version of this game is in no way worth it if you already own the PC version just for the DLC.
It seems likely Sony funded the creation of that rift, and they don't really make PC games, so…

I see where you're coming from, but it's not like this is something Blizzard did on their own to commemorate their awesome partnership with Sony. It's basically money out of Sony's advertising budget, intended to promote their console.

this is a Diablo 3 OT not Sacred 3.

Try playing another Class, and please make sure you bought the ultimate evil edition and NOT just vanilla. cause that would be sad if you just bough vanilla, Adventure mode and the 5th extra act in Ultimate Evil edition are ace additions!

I did buy the Ultimate Edition. I guess I just had such high expectations. Playing Beserker right now as I enjoy really fast gameplay.

Tendo

I have 2 geared characters on PC and I know 2.1 hit but I have no urge to return to PC. Playing with a controller is so much more comfortable and the game runs great. In love with the PS4 version.

Been playing a lot on remote play from bed too. Not good for my sleep schedule haha.

Phionoxx

Diablo noob question.

I got through with my first character, a crusader, to level 70 playing on expert on campaign mode.

Now running through bounties on normal to stockpile shards and bloodstones. My question is, I am keeping an eye out for some of the legendary weapons I should be looking for ie. Fate of the Fell and Darklight. However, I actually was lucky enough to get both of them as I was leveling up to 70, so they are lower level and thus have lousy stats.

Can I still get the same legendary weapon drops if I already have that same weapon in my stash?

Or do I need to salvage or otherwise get rid of my lower level Darklight and fate of the fell? Not sure if having them on hand takes them out of the loot table or not.

Sanctuary

Diablo noob question.

I got through with my first character, a crusader, to level 70 playing on expert on campaign mode.

Now running through bounties on normal to stockpile shards and bloodstones. My question is, I am keeping an eye out for some of the legendary weapons I should be looking for ie. Fate of the Fell and Darklight. However, I actually was lucky enough to get both of them as I was leveling up to 70, so they are lower level and thus have lousy stats.

Can I get the same legendary weapon drops I'd I already have that same weapon in my stash? Or do I need to salvage or otherwise get rid of my lower level Darklight and fate of the fell? Not sure if having them on hand takes them out of the loot table or not.

If you're asking if you can have multiple instances of the same item at the same time; yes. Already having them does nothing to dictate what drops. That's a wholly exploitable mechanic that Blizzard made sure not to include, although it does exist in a lesser form now with smart loot and class specific drops.

Top Bottom