• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

Antwix

Does anyone understand the "damage bucket" theory? I read a few articles about it yesterday, but I still don't understand it.
simplest way to put it is :

-All damage types fall into their corresponding "buckets"
-Each damage type is additive with each other while in the same bucket
-Different buckets are multiplicative with other damage buckets

So you have stuff like +damage to elites, +damage to chilled enemies, +damage to stunned enemies, +damage while fortified, etc, etc. Those all are in the same bucket. So stacking them will be additive with each other. Therefore, diminishing returns as you further increase.

There's like 4 or 5 different buckets for damage. Main stat, attack speed, crit, +damage stuff, and vulnerable damage. I might be missing one though. Each of those buckets interact with each other multiplicatively.

Multiply = big numbers. Adding = not as big numbers.

GenericUser

simplest way to put it is :

-All damage types fall into their corresponding "buckets"
-Each damage type is additive with each other while in the same bucket
-Different buckets are multiplicative with other damage buckets

So you have stuff like +damage to elites, +damage to chilled enemies, +damage to stunned enemies, +damage while fortified, etc, etc. Those all are in the same bucket. So stacking them will be additive with each other. Therefore, diminishing returns as you further increase.

There's like 4 or 5 different buckets for damage. Main stat, attack speed, crit, +damage stuff, and vulnerable damage. I might be missing one though. Each of those buckets interact with each other multiplicatively.

Multiply = big numbers. Adding = not as big numbers.
Thanks. But what I don't understand is, do you have to apply that damage modifier in order to deal the buckets' damage?

For example, in order to deal the damage that I accumulated in the "while vulnerable"-bucket I have to hit the enemy while he is vulnerable, otherwise that damage is not being taken into the calculation, right?
That's the part I don't understand. I can't just fill each bucket and watch the big numbers go brr, I have to hit the enemies with the right condition to trigger the bucket, right?

I've only encountered him once in the full version, in the very first dungeon I entered. I was level 5 or so, and he absolutely destroyed me almost instantly.

I hope I can find that fucker again at some point, and turn him into fresh meat.
Ran into him again trying to get my renown up in Scosglen, and got his Cleaver as a mount item.

...but it's so small compared to the Ashava trophy.
QkyX3y4.png

Quoting myself for comparison:
Got a sweet new Elder Druid Barding from a Whispers of the Dead random drop

HmPFoVw.png

Antwix

Thanks. But what I don't understand is, do you have to apply that damage modifier in order to deal the buckets' damage?

For example, in order to deal the damage that I accumulated in the "while vulnerable"-bucket I have to hit the enemy while he is vulnerable, otherwise that damage is not being taken into the calculation, right?
That's the part I don't understand. I can't just fill each bucket and watch the big numbers go brr, I have to hit the enemies with the right condition to trigger the bucket, right?
Yes you still need to meet the condition for whatever the damage is for it to count. So yeah for vulnerable, you'd have to make the enemy vulnerable. So because vulnerable is in a bucket all on its own, that's why that specific condition is so important. No matter the class, everyone should be looking to frequently make the enemy vulnerable. Especially since it gives 20% bonus damage as a bare minimum (which is in its own bucket).

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I really wish the left trigger could be a shift for the face buttons to add more usable skills ... but I guess the limitation is part of the balance or whatever.
Really loved that in D2R. In D4 with a necromancer using a golem and skeletons you are left with 4 skills you can actually use, outside of primary attack and raising skeletons. It’s boring and needlessly limiting.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I basically don't get any gear upgrades anymore. Game feels pointless to play. Almost level 78, and it's been days of no upgrades. Just want the unique helm to switch to storm werewolf build, but I've had no luck getting it to drop.

The end game in this is abysmal and extremely unrewarding. Aside from having Lilith there at 100 to challenge me, there is nothing challenging that equates to a useful reward. Nor is there a fun activity to do. They learned nothing from Diablo 3 end game.

Oh well. Time to start up an alt I guess. :/

Xyphie

One week in and level 80-ish on my sorc. My conclusion is that the PvE endgame in the game is pretty bad.

Helltide = boring as fuck, sadly you have to do them.
Whispers of the Dead = boring and probably not worthwhile in terms of rewards.
World Bosses = Novelty wore out after the first time and they are probably not worth doing unless you happen to be online when they spawn.
Nightmare dungeons = less randomized version of rifts.

Freeman76

I basically don't get any gear upgrades anymore. Game feels pointless to play. Almost level 78, and it's been days of no upgrades. Just want the unique helm to switch to storm werewolf build, but I've had no luck getting it to drop.

The end game in this is abysmal and extremely unrewarding. Aside from having Lilith there at 100 to challenge me, there is nothing challenging that equates to a useful reward. Nor is there a fun activity to do. They learned nothing from Diablo 3 end game.

I really enjoy the endgame, and the game in general really I think its incredible. However, I wholeheartedly agree this is one of the most unrewarding loot games I've ever played. I really dont understand the thinking behind the drop system. I'm level 62 on WT3 and havent had a decent drop in days.

I wonder if they thought it would hold peoples interest for longer if they always have something to work towards. The problem with it, is I think a lot of people will just give up. Their possible tactic of trying to keep people engaged will actually stop them from playing entirely.

It makes no sense at level 62 that I fight a hard boss on Nightmare tier 11 and get a single item drop that is for level 43 players. Its like the devs want to kick me in the bollocks, and then spit on me.

GenericUser

Yes you still need to meet the condition for whatever the damage is for it to count. So yeah for vulnerable, you'd have to make the enemy vulnerable. So because vulnerable is in a bucket all on its own, that's why that specific condition is so important. No matter the class, everyone should be looking to frequently make the enemy vulnerable. Especially since it gives 20% bonus damage as a bare minimum (which is in its own bucket).
What I take away from that, is, that it's (at least in the earlier leveling stages) more important to "trigger" a bucket then to increase the damage that the bucket deals. Would you consider this to be correct?
For example, it's more important to add gear that increases your chance make enemies vulnerable over gear that adds damage to vulnerable enemies.

Last edited:

Codeblew

Do you know about rerolling a bad stat on otherwise good gear?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
On releveling a new barb for hardcore mode, I find that in the beginning, when you don't have much fury generation, Ground Stomp + Double Swing is basically infinite fury until the stun wears off. Excellent elite killer.

So what's Diablo's later game like exactly? I beat the game at level 45, grinded some dungeons and unlocked Tier 3, then decided to do Renoun stuff got all the Waypoints, Strongholds and Alters, I'm almost done with that, got bored and unlocked Tier 4 @ like 62 which just made everything in the world 73(Nicer drops though now!). I'm wondering what to do when I run out of renoun? I kinda like having a purpose while I'm getting exp as opposed to just grinding exp for the sake of grinding exp.

I'm at lvl 70 on WT4, prioritizing working my way through regions doing lilith statues, sidequests and sidedungeon to get the full renown rewards (+4 paragon points), legions world events and helltide (mystery chests) when they pop up. Every now and then I will do a few Ruins of Eridu runs mainly for the xp. The legions, helltides and Eridu runs I prefer to do with groups (clanmates).
I'll do these, but they have lesser prio: world bosses and nightmares (post lvl 80 you get way more glyph XP).

Guess people like the game

Diablo 4 Earned Over $666 Million in the Five Days Following Launch​

Players have suffered over 316,991,632 in-game deaths.​

Diablo 4 earned over $666 million dollars in sales in less than a week following its full June 6 launch. Activision Blizzard also revealed that customers have already sunk the equivalent to 30,000 years of playtime into the game, while wiping out a staggering 2.73 billion monsters.

roughly translates to ~8 million sales.

Last edited:
It's only worth it if you do your renown as well by completing dungeons.

Also growing tired at 61, I've got two uniques that aren't for my build and no really big upgrades since mid 50s besides a weapon I can't use since I need to apply an aspect on it I already have but simple just wont drop anymore.

Freeman76

It's only worth it if you do your renown as well by completing dungeons.

Also growing tired at 61, I've got two uniques that aren't for my build and no really big upgrades since mid 50s besides a weapon I can't use since I need to apply an aspect on it I already have but simple just wont drop anymore.
They'll definitely sort the loot out. From what I can gather the overwhelming majority feel like giving up around lvl 60-70 because of the shit loot and they will want to keep players enagaged as long as possible obviously. Plus they will keep adding to the game as well, so its probably a good idea around lvl 70 if its getting annoying to make an alt or two

They'll definitely sort the loot out. From what I can gather the overwhelming majority feel like giving up around lvl 60-70 because of the shit loot and they will want to keep players enagaged as long as possible obviously. Plus they will keep adding to the game as well, so its probably a good idea around lvl 70 if its getting annoying to make an alt or two
Not gonna bother with an alt since ffxvi is coming out soon so I'll keep playing until it releases and then come back for season 1.

For me, this game is missing a group finder and trades that includes uniques. It's just ridiculous I have some uniques that people are looking for that I can't use and vice versa. Also, D2 had a better solution for group runs and this just came out

Freeman76

Not gonna bother with an alt since ffxvi is coming out soon so I'll keep playing until it releases and then come back for season 1.

For me, this game is missing a group finder and trades that includes uniques. It's just ridiculous I have some uniques that people are looking for that I can't use and vice versa. Also, D2 had a better solution for group runs and this just came out
Fair points for sure.

I expect a lot to be added to this, its got brilliant foundations. The world map is great, particularly the desert area, I feel hot when playing it they nailed the atmosphere so well 🤣

j0hnnix

I'm level 62 atm, slowed down leveling because back to work from vacation. Is it worth or good time to jump to WT4? Trying to speed up my leveling while I have reduced my time playing.

I'm level 62 atm, slowed down leveling because back to work from vacation. Is it worth or good time to jump to WT4? Trying to speed up my leveling while I have reduced my time playing.
At 61 I feel I get more XP doing helltides than running t20 nightmares solo. Probably by the sheer amount of mobs I kill with pulverize in helltides. I got to the boss for wt4 but couldn't do it solo at 60 so I can't say if exp is better and worth it at that level in wt4

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
My opinion after about 80 hours:

1. Enjoyable as a traditional game with a defined start and end.
2. At end-game, as an arpg, it's as deep as a puddle.

Overall, my feeling is that I got my moneys worth. At this point in my life I do not have the drive I used to to grind for week after week. On top of so many quality games out the past year, with many to release imminently, I am happy to move on to additional experiences and check back in the future.
I too already feel as I have gotten my moneys worth and like you my drive at end game just isn't there anymore like it used to be especially with the games coming

DragonNCM

I played the sorceress until level 32, tried different skill combinations but nothing seems to work for me. I avoid guides or such though, I want to find out things by myself.
I highly suggest that before you respec go to wowhead & use talent calculator, read about spells & make synergy there. It will save you a lot of gold.

Joramun

One week in and level 80-ish on my sorc. My conclusion is that the PvE endgame in the game is pretty bad.

World Bosses = Novelty wore out after the first time and they are probably not worth doing unless you happen to be online when they spawn.
You need to do HT's for mats.

Forgotten Souls. I'm pretty sure.

Freeman76

Level 80 in 1 week.

There's your problem. Burn out. Play anything THAT much in a week and it will get tedious.

Braag

Someone at blizzard really loves exploding enemies. I was doing a nightmare dungeon with affix of enemies exploding upon death. You have elites like the bloated zombies that explode upon death, sometimes they have the poison affix so they have the poison explosion too after death and then they explode a third time because of the nightmare dungeon affix.

Antwix

What I take away from that, is, that it's (at least in the earlier leveling stages) more important to "trigger" a bucket then to increase the damage that the bucket deals. Would you consider this to be correct?
For example, it's more important to add gear that increases your chance make enemies vulnerable over gear that adds damage to vulnerable enemies.
I mean, there's no point in triggering a condition when you barely have any damage increase. But yeah, i would agree that in terms of vulnerable, it's more important to actually trigger it.

Once you can actually trigger a condition consistently, that's when you start prioritizing it in your gear for +damage.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The amount of skills that are not viable to use once things get tough are too many, for a game that just launched.
Some of the classes only have like 2 viable builds while others seem to have multiple.

Probably staying on a normal character. The Hardcore stuff doesn't appeal to me if the server decides to take a crap.

Chastten

Banned
Gotta love people who burn through 100+ hours of content in a single week and then complain about how there's nothing to do.

Anyways, finished the campaign, roughly 40 hours in. Still got over half the worldmap, Lilith statues and all the endgame content to go so between this and doing all the optional stuff in TotK, June is pretty much filled up gaming wise :p

Komatsu

Somewhat late to the party, but fellow legacy Diablo players... PC or console? I've always played Diablo where it belonged, on the PC, but the D2 ports were good and I found myself playing a fair bit on my PS5... I heard conflicting reports that the D4 UX is not nearly as optimized for the console/couch experience as D3 was.

Antwix

Somewhat late to the party, but fellow legacy Diablo players... PC or console? I've always played Diablo where it belonged, on the PC, but the D2 ports were good and I found myself playing a fair bit on my PS5... I heard conflicting reports that the D4 UX is not nearly as optimized for the console/couch experience as D3 was.
If you want to do couch coop, the only way to go is console. With PC, you can do either kb/mouse or controller (but no coop on PC). I'm definitely a kb/m player when it comes to Diablo since I main sorc in every game but pretty much everyone says controller is great for this game. It's really just up to you depending how your pc and console setup is and how you wanna sit while you play. Can't really go wrong with either imo

Spyxos

Gold Member
I played in the beta up to lvl 25. You should get from lvl 20+ such a small wolf for the beta participation? Where can I find him.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
On releveling a new barb for hardcore mode, I find that in the beginning, when you don't have much fury generation, Ground Stomp + Double Swing is basically infinite fury until the stun wears off. Excellent elite killer.

Im really liking ground stomp & double swing, even for leveling past 50. Feel like people are sleeping on that one.

Ive got a legendary that makes me do 40% increase damage to stunned enemies, one that make ground stomp generate an earthquake that does damage and makes you do 15% increased damage, then another one that increases attack speed as you kill enemies.

You can machine gun through elites so fast sometimes you barely even notice they were elites.

On a spreadsheet its probably not as truly efficient as 3 shouts and whirlwind, but I think its a lot more fun and still mega powerful as you can still clear the endgame content without much hassle so far.

Last edited:

ssringo

Gold Member
Only 163 level 100 hardcore characters?

163 living.

Maybe. But not surprising either way. It's a slog getting that high even without the threat of permadeath hanging over you. So easy to lose focus and get instagibbed. Saw a hardcore youtuber lose his level 90 (kinda tanky) Rogue yesterday in half a second.

Last edited:

Tg89

Yep.

The real problem is that the itemization in this game is absolutely dogshit and itemization is the core of a good ARPG. If your itemization loop is good you can get away with less engaging content, but no content can save you from the bad itemization.

Everyone had been saying that since the beta though, and Blizzard either doesn't listen or just doesn't understand how to fix it.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m struggling. Maybe because I’m still kind of new to this genre.

So I started with the Necromancer on World Tier 2. I’m currently level 31 and I’m plowing through everything. My army of skeleton warrior, mages and one blood golem are a site. A kind of annoying looking site. But I don’t think I’ve died once with this class.

I have tried every other class and they are just way harder and I find myself dying quite a bit.

I just don’t feel like I’m playing the other classes right. And I feel like I’m having to manage each engagement way more than the Necromancer.

Top Bottom