• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

DeaDPo0L84

I'm lvl 60, in WT3, and have a pretty good grasp of what my options are for grinding xp, renown, loot, etc. I gotta say I am sorta hitting a wall with this game already. I don't even know if it's entirely Diablo's fault or the fact that so many games now require you to treat it like a second job. Doesn't help that the loot grind is pretty harsh, I am not even looking for necessarily insane legendaries and I have yet to see a single one that I am chasing. I played Destiny 1 & 2 so I am well aware that this is part of the design but Destiny 2 is in a much better state when it comes to chasing loot and coming to this is rough. The fact there is no matchmaking, no legendary trading, no option to at least chase a particular gear type, is absurd for this being the main fourth entry in the series. Plus now they are consistently nerfing good farming spots which is pretty much the main source of fun. Hopefully updates can alleviate some of these issues. If resetting renown though is gonna be the path forward for seasonal activities I'll just nope right out.

Does anyone know how to get to the screen that lets you claim gold/XP for uhhh..not really sure what it is, but there's a progression and you get tiers of things but you have to press the claim button to get them. I can't find the menu anymore.

Antwix

Does anyone know how to get to the screen that lets you claim gold/XP for uhhh..not really sure what it is, but there's a progression and you get tiers of things but you have to press the claim button to get them. I can't find the menu anymore.
If you're on PC, hit tab to go the map, then hit W. Not sure what it is on controller. I think it's triangle/Y once you're on the map.

ssringo

Gold Member
At this point hardcore progression is the only thing interesting to do until season 1. Hoping the "campfire chat" on the 16th has some promising info. The nerf bat is getting old.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Tried tier 47 nightmare on my 80 Druid . Enemies level 101. Got over half way but eventually it spawned an elite that told me to suck a dick .

Found if you want to grind higher level dungeons like this just use butchers cleaver on the pulverize build so stuff can’t touch you. You give up some damage but can spam pulverize a lot more.

Once I get to boss I swap back to my 2 hander to quickly down it.

Almost 2 weeks and no Tempest Roar. I’ve wanted to be a storm wolf Druid since like level 60? I’ve had 20 uniques drop since then, but no luck getting this one unique others seem to have seen numerous times.

FML.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I re-download and reinstalled the game on PS5. Still running like shit (rubber banding, stutter, almost constantly). I have a wired connection and decent internet. Idk, man. I find this practically unplayable. Very frustrating.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I wanted to share my thoughts on Diablo 4 as a core/more casual leaning player of the franchise. Granted I’ve been fortunate since release to get some extended time with the game when normally I can do a hour or two at most certain days of the week to play games.

I LOVE Diablo 2. Had fun with Diablo 3. Very indifferent about immortal. Find PoE a bit much and cumbersome. Last Epoch is so close but lacks so much quality of life and production value.

Diablo 4 up to 50 is the best part of the game. Loot is in a great drip feed, you’re excited every time a legendary drops or even a yellow, you’re testing abilities and doing cool shit, experiencing a well told adventure, and getting lost in the world.

Then you hit end game and it will quickly dawn on you that this game misses almost every damn mark.

Tier 3 feels like a waste of time. I killed the capstone boss to get to tier 4 at 60. Sacred gear feels like a pointless investment when you know at tier 4 you’ll get ancestral which is faaaaar better.

Once you’re in tier 4 you see how much of the content offered is flat out pointless depending on your goal. Want to just grind exp fast ? World tree is pointless for that. Hanging in the open world is pointless for that. Missed side content and quests is pointless for that. Hell depending on your build and gear nightmare dungeons too are pointless for that.

Want to challenge yourself ? Well… the game only has one objective to work to and that’s Lilith 100. Nightmare dungeons you’ll find you can grind quickly past your level once you’re well geared and know your build/glyphs.

Gear 99/100 drops quickly becomes just shit you dismantle because it’s always bad rolls, too low level, or a crappy version of an aspect. If you need to farm some up fast just do helltides and nightmare dungeons to gear yourself up. So you no longer have any excitement on stuff dropping .

A big issue with this is what the game is dropping in tier 4. Why am I seeing regular and sacred gear ? Why am I seeing low level gems ? None of this matters. You get so much ascended anyway to just dissemble that to keep up in the item needs to imprint etc.

Code of power should have every single aspect you’ve ever found in there to be printable on gear with the best roll version you’ve ever found. It’s ridiculous to find a near max or max aspect and you either hold onto it for 800+ gear or use it on current to print over , only to never see a similar roll again for when better gear shows up you want to print on. This would fix the stupid aspect inventory being small, and make swapping builds easier.

Add load outs.

Gem stash please.

Ability to take 5-10 extra uniques I’m not using to trade it for one I want even if it’s a lower level version. Some of these uniques are necessary to even DO a build like storm wolf Druid or pulverize Druid. No helm ? Sorry you don’t get to play the game in end game pal.

Buff world bosses. Immensely. Make them giga ass blasters and in turn up their possible loot drops to be exciting.

Add far more paragon boards, glyphs, and game changing uniques. Would love to test more whacky shit.

Fix a lot of current uniques. Too many are worthless and pointless when they should be best in slot or build around items.

Fix mounts.

Fix the server lag.

Hell, add more cosmetic loot to buy. Druid and sorc are starving for something not ugly as hell to buy.

Make on ground currencies vacuum into player. Same with dungeon objective purple orbs. Sucks ass to have to walk over these things and if you miss them to go back to get them.

Add more challenge to capstone bosses. Add more bosses that are on the level of the 100 boss.

This game has a long way to go. So much good here but the copy paste end game isn’t a grind—- it’s flat out boring. I’m at level 75 able to do tier 40 nightmares. Great. Why is my reward for such a higher risk not worth it ? Not crazy in exp not crazy in glyph exp , and not higher unique drop chances compared to lower NM dungeons.

Fix goblins . They drop trash now. Why ?

Make the whole world map revealed on alts.

/end rant I guess

amigastar

idk im done with hardcore though. got a lag spike and died to the stupid mephisto looking ass world boss and his beam. im salty :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
When you are hc are you on a server with other hc characters or is it mixed with softcore when fighting the world boss for example.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
After 50+ hours my (highly effective) custom Fire & Ice build started to feel stale, decided to switch things up. Created a custom Lightning Goddess build and it's dope as fuck, killing things faster *and* have higher survivability. Concept is harnessing affixes that frequently generate barriers for defence while also significantly amplifying DMG when a barrier is active, it's a beautiful thing.

Use 2 attacks 90% of the time while sending Lightning Spear out to automatically do it's thing, Ultimate for elites/bosses, teleport for yet more survivability and a bit of DMG, Ice Armor same thing and synergizes with my barrier concept.

Alcarnus stronghold was absolute insanity, got it done though level 53 World Tier 2. I say again, Strongholds are some of the best content in the entire game 💯💯💯

EDIT: and once again need to point out how disappointing the force feedback is (or lack thereof), none of the spells in my new build have any. *At least* have a cool effect for the ultimate to go along with the badass thunder crack, would make everything feel that much more impactful.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Its hard to understand how they fucked the loot system so badly in this. Ive enjoyed every part of this, endgame included, but it feels so unrewarding to play because loot feels meaningless due to the huge item level range. On WT3 it seems items can be anywhere from 580 ish to 720ish, so you get way too much shit that you cant use, thats way to big of a range. Even when something does drop, its often got the wrong elemental bonuses, which would be fine apart from only being able to re-roll one of them.

Ive gone from level 58 up to 65 and not found a single upgrade. This is including Nightmare dungeons, mystery chests for helltides, whispers caches, world bosses.

I like to have a carrot on a stick with these games, but this takes the piss. Half the time when a legendary drops im tempted to leave it on the floor without even checking it, out of pure disgust 🤣🤣🤣

I'll roll an alt and keep playing, I'm sure they will sort it, but given the huge dev time and how great D3 was at the end, its hard to understand wtf they were thinking.

Also, makes no sense to leave the battlepass a month after release. Everyone will have scoured maps for reknown, and then have to do it all again, not sure how many people will want to do that! Its like Blizz dont know what their customers want or something.

MastAndo

Its hard to understand how they fucked the loot system so badly in this. Ive enjoyed every part of this, endgame included, but it feels so unrewarding to play because loot feels meaningless due to the huge item level range. On WT3 it seems items can be anywhere from 580 ish to 720ish, so you get way too much shit that you cant use, thats way to big of a range. Even when something does drop, its often got the wrong elemental bonuses, which would be fine apart from only being able to re-roll one of them.

Ive gone from level 58 up to 65 and not found a single upgrade. This is including Nightmare dungeons, mystery chests for helltides, whispers caches, world bosses.

I like to have a carrot on a stick with these games, but this takes the piss. Half the time when a legendary drops im tempted to leave it on the floor without even checking it, out of pure disgust 🤣🤣🤣

I'll roll an alt and keep playing, I'm sure they will sort it, but given the huge dev time and how great D3 was at the end, its hard to understand wtf they were thinking.

Also, makes no sense to leave the battlepass a month after release. Everyone will have scoured maps for reknown, and then have to do it all again, not sure how many people will want to do that! Its like Blizz dont know what their customers want or something.
I'm around the same level as you (63) in WT3, and I had been getting mostly the same vibe - like I'm spinning my wheels. Now that I'm getting drops in the 700 power range or so, upgrading them to over the 725 threshold amps up the affixes significantly, and provides a pretty significant noticeable power boost. More and more (sacred) rares like this have been dropping, but yeah, lately legendaries have been mostly salvage fodder for mats or aspects to extract to put on a rare.

The next step is to get to a place where you can beat the capstone dungeon and unlock WT4 for ancestral gear. There should be better drops in those activities you mentioned once you move up, or so I hear.

I do agree with you in general though - I'm still playing a whole lot, but I definitely enjoyed playing through the campaign and even working through the renown system (i.e. specific goals like unlocking the whole map, altars, etc) over sorting through all this junk that drops and hoping for an incremental upgrade. I'm still wondering if the endgame is for me with that in mind, but I'm going to stick to it for now.

The input buffer on controller is wild - it's like 10 times longer than it needs to be.

I've been using M&K but tried controller to see if I could chill and level my druid but it make it feel like there is lag as it's pushing out actions from buttons you pressed a second ago if anything interrupts you.

Definitely much smoother and much more responsive on M&K.

I remember Diablo 2 being ok even on controller but may be wrong here.

Orbital2060

Do people seriously think theyre gonna take potions away from players? And go from 9 pots to 4 again?

As for itemisation, are armor sets even in the game atm? I havent seen any.

Finally got vasily's prayer for my druid, a new piece of gear that makes things way easier for spirit generating.

I agree with most of you in this thread, the itemization in this game is shit. Gear upgrades are rare and far between between mid 50s to mid 60s. I finished the capstone dungeon solo for wt4, hopefully it'll get better

The input buffer on controller is wild - it's like 10 times longer than it needs to be.

I've been using M&K but tried controller to see if I could chill and level my druid but it make it feel like there is lag as it's pushing out actions from buttons you pressed a second ago if anything interrupts you.

Definitely much smoother and much more responsive on M&K.

I remember Diablo 2 being ok even on controller but may be wrong here.
I don't have this problem at all, I've stopped using mk early in the game, combat is much better with a controller for me.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Finally started this last night. It… definitely feels like Diablo. I’m enjoying it so far. Main campaign story hooked me more than I expected.

My beautiful Druid:
Hzgif65.jpg

I don't have this problem at all, I've stopped using mk early in the game, combat is much better with a controller for me.

Anyone using a controller will experience it unless they are very slow with button presses.

If you have decent reactions you'll see dodges going off a second after you press the button as they don't interrupt the current action but are buffered instead which is absolutely crazy for a arpg.

It feels like an accessibility option for disabled people but the problem is you can't disable it.

Anyone using a controller will experience it unless they are very slow with button presses.

If you have decent reactions you'll see dodges going off a second after you press the button as they don't interrupt the current action but are buffered instead which is absolutely crazy for a arpg.

It feels like an accessibility option for disabled people but the problem is you can't disable it.

Nope I don't have this at all, I play with a ps5 controller via usb on pc, might be why

I could maul (attack) with my druid as I was running by mobs and dodge without any delay.

Sucks for you tough

Last edited:
Does the end game open up socially? Level 40 currently and haven’t seen a single person type in chat. I’d welcome someone spamming at this point. Game seems so lonely even lonelier than dark souls tbh.

Does the end game open up socially? Level 40 currently and haven’t seen a single person type in chat. I’d welcome someone spamming at this point. Game seems so lonely even lonelier than dark souls tbh.
It doesn't, this game is missing a ground finder a la diablo 2 and never thought I'd say that but a general chat

Draugoth

Gold Member
Went to a blood donation sponsored by Blizzard in my city to get some official Diablo IV goodies but they didnt let me donate blood because i had sex recently :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:
Went to a blood donation sponsored by Blizzard in my city to get some official Diablo IV goodies but they didnt let me donate blood because i had sex recently :messenger_loudly_crying:
Unless you had unprotected sex with a stranger that's not a problem

If so, I'd be more worried about this than diablo 4 mate

Last edited:

Tg89

I wanted to share my thoughts on Diablo 4 as a core/more casual leaning player of the franchise. Granted I’ve been fortunate since release to get some extended time with the game when normally I can do a hour or two at most certain days of the week to play games.

I LOVE Diablo 2. Had fun with Diablo 3. Very indifferent about immortal. Find PoE a bit much and cumbersome. Last Epoch is so close but lacks so much quality of life and production value.

Diablo 4 up to 50 is the best part of the game. Loot is in a great drip feed, you’re excited every time a legendary drops or even a yellow, you’re testing abilities and doing cool shit, experiencing a well told adventure, and getting lost in the world.

Then you hit end game and it will quickly dawn on you that this game misses almost every damn mark.

Tier 3 feels like a waste of time. I killed the capstone boss to get to tier 4 at 60. Sacred gear feels like a pointless investment when you know at tier 4 you’ll get ancestral which is faaaaar better.

Once you’re in tier 4 you see how much of the content offered is flat out pointless depending on your goal. Want to just grind exp fast ? World tree is pointless for that. Hanging in the open world is pointless for that. Missed side content and quests is pointless for that. Hell depending on your build and gear nightmare dungeons too are pointless for that.

Want to challenge yourself ? Well… the game only has one objective to work to and that’s Lilith 100. Nightmare dungeons you’ll find you can grind quickly past your level once you’re well geared and know your build/glyphs.

Gear 99/100 drops quickly becomes just shit you dismantle because it’s always bad rolls, too low level, or a crappy version of an aspect. If you need to farm some up fast just do helltides and nightmare dungeons to gear yourself up. So you no longer have any excitement on stuff dropping .

A big issue with this is what the game is dropping in tier 4. Why am I seeing regular and sacred gear ? Why am I seeing low level gems ? None of this matters. You get so much ascended anyway to just dissemble that to keep up in the item needs to imprint etc.

Code of power should have every single aspect you’ve ever found in there to be printable on gear with the best roll version you’ve ever found. It’s ridiculous to find a near max or max aspect and you either hold onto it for 800+ gear or use it on current to print over , only to never see a similar roll again for when better gear shows up you want to print on. This would fix the stupid aspect inventory being small, and make swapping builds easier.

Add load outs.

Gem stash please.

Ability to take 5-10 extra uniques I’m not using to trade it for one I want even if it’s a lower level version. Some of these uniques are necessary to even DO a build like storm wolf Druid or pulverize Druid. No helm ? Sorry you don’t get to play the game in end game pal.

Buff world bosses. Immensely. Make them giga ass blasters and in turn up their possible loot drops to be exciting.

Add far more paragon boards, glyphs, and game changing uniques. Would love to test more whacky shit.

Fix a lot of current uniques. Too many are worthless and pointless when they should be best in slot or build around items.

Fix mounts.

Fix the server lag.

Hell, add more cosmetic loot to buy. Druid and sorc are starving for something not ugly as hell to buy.

Make on ground currencies vacuum into player. Same with dungeon objective purple orbs. Sucks ass to have to walk over these things and if you miss them to go back to get them.

Add more challenge to capstone bosses. Add more bosses that are on the level of the 100 boss.

This game has a long way to go. So much good here but the copy paste end game isn’t a grind—- it’s flat out boring. I’m at level 75 able to do tier 40 nightmares. Great. Why is my reward for such a higher risk not worth it ? Not crazy in exp not crazy in glyph exp , and not higher unique drop chances compared to lower NM dungeons.

/end rant I guess

Agreed with everything here.

The gear in this game sucks. Modern blizzard has no clue how to itemize an ARPG anymore and it sucks, because ARPGs can't be good without that aspect.

No way of even identifying is something MIGHT be worth picking up - for example displaying the ilvl. The "bases" in this game mean nothing. No difference between fur-lined boots and whatever other things they call boots. In Diablo 2, for example, a poleaxe vs. a colossus voulge are inherently different and it means something when you see it on the ground. Feels like they just told ChatGPT to generate a bunch of names.

The end game is a 3/10, honestly. I'm not sure it's redeemable in the current state, probably needs an overhaul that we won't see till an expansion to make it worth engaging in.

It doesn't, this game is missing a ground finder a la diablo 2 and never thought I'd say that but a general chat

Jesus Christ. So is there almost zero collaboration between players at end game? I thought there was PVP, clans, difficult dungeons/raids or whatever that required teamwork? This game is entirely a solo fest from beginning to end? That's really depressing if true.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Jesus Christ. So is there almost zero collaboration between players at end game? I thought there was PVP, clans, difficult dungeons/raids or whatever that required teamwork? This game is entirely a solo fest from beginning to end? That's really depressing if true.
it’s fun with friends.
Playing with rando’s fucking sucks.
In destiny 2 it was a bit better.
But man lots of ghost towns imo

Last edited:

Tg89

It's actually advantageous to do dungeons as groups but yeah they don't give you a good way to coordinate that. Clans are in the game, so you could join that, not sure how you would go about finding one (in game, at least - im sure discord/reddit has somewhere to look).

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Will plug the clan that Rentahamster Rentahamster has set up. If you want an invite just let us know (either on gaf or bnet).

Open the social tab (on PC press ESC key then press N key)
Search for NEOGAF
Submit a request

Folks are chatting in the clan channel when I am online and I have gotten to group up with a few of you all for bosses etc...it is a fun time and easy to find people to help out.

Last edited:
It's easy to join a clan. I'm usually in Discord with clanmates when I'm playing Diablo IV. I mainly do helltides and nightmares with them.

Keinu

After the first couple times I now just stand there and let him kill me when he appears. Like, fine, let's just get this over with quickly.

Also is there a reason the game doesn't let you teleport out of story dungeons like any other dungeon? Kind of annoying.
If you’re close to him you can run around him counter clockwise and poke at him with basic attacks. Will hardly hit you at all this way.

GymWolf

Gold Member
On console go to the map and press triangle or y.

GymWolf

Gold Member
So I re-download and reinstalled the game on PS5. Still running like shit (rubber banding, stutter, almost constantly). I have a wired connection and decent internet. Idk, man. I find this practically unplayable. Very frustrating.
It is pretty bad on console, at least in europe.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Add load outs.

Gem stash please.

Fix mounts.

Fix the server lag.

/end rant I guess
I really want to do a earth druid build but some aspects are random so i'm fucked.

It is bullshit that some aspects can only be acquired by loot and not dungeons, some of them basically make 50% of the fucking build.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Add load outs.

Gem stash please.

Fix mounts.

Fix the server lag.

/end rant I guess
Do you find group play enjoyable?

Top Bottom