• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

Mossybrew

what does the 'season reset' thing mean for a filthy casual like me that only has 3-5 hours a week to play, likely will takes months to finish? will they keep deleting my character ? what the fuck.
If you want to participate in the season, you make a new character on that realm. After the season it's not deleted, just booted back to the "normal" server and you can continue to play with the character.

HoodWinked

The seasonal resets sounds really awful. They should have taken the Destiny approach instead where you keep building on your characters through new content

what does the 'season reset' thing mean for a filthy casual like me that only has 3-5 hours a week to play, likely will takes months to finish? will they keep deleting my character ? what the fuck.
Ideally they add new items and balance changes at the start of a new season, so everyone essentially starts on the same foot, and everyone's inventory/vault are a clean sheet. The enjoyment is discovering and theorycrafting new builds with the new items. All current existing characters are on the 'Eternal Realm'

THkLhK1.png

Chiggs

Gold Member
So I hate the Druid class. I'm a werebear tank and it's just not fun to play. Level 20 but I'm starting over. :messenger_neutral:

Ozzie666

So I hate the Druid class. I'm a werebear tank and it's just not fun to play. Level 20 but I'm starting over. :messenger_neutral:

Druid has a few viable builds. I do enjoy the pulverize shockwave set up. It's satisfying to wreck so many things at once and feels like the Hulk. Is there better options sure, but it's fun. But as most classes, it requires that 1 unique to define the class. From level 1 to 45, I ran a creeper pet build. I thought I was doing okay, but the second capstone dungeon really rocked my world and I switched. Never looked back. Investigate a proper leveling build, then switch at 50.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Seasons are fun in theory but having to level up a char to level 30 to even get a sense of new builds is a grind I cant see a lot of people really enjoying esp. if mob density stays this low. Should start a char at level 25 and you should be able to select skills right at the start and go right to looting new items etc.

Fools idol

Banned
Ideally they add new items and balance changes at the start of a new season, so everyone essentially starts on the same foot, and everyone's inventory/vault are a clean sheet. The enjoyment is discovering and theorycrafting new builds with the new items. All current existing characters are on the 'Eternal Realm'

THkLhK1.png
ahhhh, gotcha... no need to worry then.

I wish I had more time to play, it sucks.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I am now lvl 52 necro. From 50 it makes rapidly less fun. I'm now just trying to somehow finally finish the story, but I'm not even in act 4. And I still do not have a mount....

Last edited:

Bry0

People wanting Diablo to be like destiny is horrifying to me. Guys you can go play WoW. ARPGS are not meant to be designed like mmos. I feel like there is a fundamental disconnect for some on what this game is trying to be. If you just want to play your non-seasonal main and chase perfect rolls you can, but this is not meant to be an mmo, none of the games in this series were ever designed to be about endless gear treadmills with constantly rising ilvl like wow or destiny.

Last edited:
I'm nearing 81, but I've lost steam. I don't feel like doing nightmares and legion events like I did before. I might just take a break and return for the season as I'm already finding a more enjoyment returning to indie games on Steam (yay Nextfest).

Finally finished the story and bravo Blizzard, well done.

Now Im deciding about continuing the Barb at 49 or starting something with a little more firepower. The higher it goes the slower things die.

ultrazilla

Finished the campaign a couple nights ago. Very well done. Level 52 Sorcerer. Now I'm kinda just like "ummmmm.......I guess I wonder around after doing the Wisdom Tree quest".
Seems very limited.

Edit: opened "Paragon" at level 50 and have 2 points to spend. I have no damn clue what all this means. Again I'm a level 52 Sorcerer.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Finished the campaign a couple nights ago. Very well done. Level 52 Sorcerer. Now I'm kinda just like "ummmmm.......I guess I wonder around after doing the Wisdom Tree quest".
Seems very limited.

Edit: opened "Paragon" at level 50 and have 2 points to spend. I have no damn clue what all this means. Again I'm a level 52 Sorcerer.
Have you done the capstone dungeon? And changed to world tier 3?

Then basically it's farm helltides, gathering legion, tree of whisper, nightmare dungeons (sigils) and upgrade your paragon until you can do the dungeon for world tier 4. Then it picks up again for a bit. Use this period of time to farm the renown as well and get all the lilith statues

This is the slow part of the game.

Bartski

Gold Member
Barb lvl 57, Rogue lvl 26 and this is where I'm gonna bounce.

I love my barb and around level 55 (tier3) I felt I almost got the perfect build, with nothing I'd be after except getting buffs from the paragon board...

But in the long endgame run, the sheer concept of farming xp, grinding dungeons over and over for drops... is just outlandish and insanely unfun to me as a loop, as repetitive as it is here.
I guess making numbers grow just doesn't give me the boner if it doesn't add anything new to the way I play the character.

More power to anyone who gets a sense of fulfillment from that race to the level cap, but the moment a game starts feeling like conveyor belt work to me - I'm out.

It just did.

And a pointless one at that, since one of the things scaling does is it can turn progressing into regressing which is insane but true here.

While I didn't bother me much throughout the campaign, I've also really grown to hate the dissonance of scaling actually making you feel weaker as you level up.

What makes matters so much worse is while itemization is how you compensate, I had some recycled banger aspects I had to throw away since you also have to eventually change equipment with higher item power to reach the "right" dps or survivability going against monsters that just keep getting tougher. So you may have the perfect gear that gives you skills and mobility options you get used to but then it constantly gets weaker as you "grow", so you have to stifle your character at times and change the way you play for something you enjoy less in order to keep up.

Almost as if you need to plan aspect recycling for level 100... But I just don't see how it could be any fun getting there at this point.

Got my money's worth but despite a good first impression of endgame +50, there is just not enough there to keep me going. I will try season 1 tho with a brand new sorcerer, but I think it's just time to move on.

Last edited:

devilNprada

I think you can just play one character they call it the eternal zone or something you do not have to participate in the seasons.
Seasons came out later in Diablo 3 if I remember correctly; I was burnt out by then and didn't participate but still played occasionally.

ultrazilla

Have you done the capstone dungeon? And changed to world tier 3?

Then basically it's farm helltides, gathering legion, tree of whisper, nightmare dungeons (sigils) and upgrade your paragon until you can do the dungeon for world tier 4. Then it picks up again for a bit. Use this period of time to farm the renown as well and get all the lilith statues

This is the slow part of the game.

I just did that earlier today and am now world tier 3.

Thanks for the tips!

DeathGuise

I understand and you should always do what you enjoy but I can tell you that once you get to level 30 the Druid really opens up. It doesn't excuse the first thirty levels but it is something of note

quest

Not Banned from OT
I’m leveling my first character on tier 1. Any reason to go to the higher world tiers or should I wait until I hit max level?
No reason to run higher till you beat the campaign. Then work on the tier 2 capstone dungeon beat that then move up. Then in tier 3 i found best way to get gear tree of wispers.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think you can just play one character they call it the eternal zone or something you do not have to participate in the seasons.
Seasons came out later in Diablo 3 if I remember correctly; I was burnt out by then and didn't participate but still played occasionally.

I am starting to feel the drop off at 61. I never get upgrades so i did renown. Then moved up in dungeons but still shit drop rates and nothing for my build. Ill probably stop soon then come back after a few seasons of tuning to see if its in a better spot post 60.

Macattk15

Got my Rogue to 86 but I just can't do anymore. I'm just done until the first season or first big patch ... it's sooooooooo boring now and I never get upgrades.

But in the long endgame run, the sheer concept of farming xp, grinding dungeons over and over for drops... is just outlandish and insanely unfun to me as a loop, as repetitive as it is here.
I guess making numbers grow just doesn't give me the boner if it doesn't add anything new to the way I play the character.

Agreed. It was really fun until Level 50, after this it started to become stale. It's just seeing numbers grow that don't even make me feel more powerful due to the level scaling. There are some nice side-quest storylines, but in the overall context they feel pointless.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Agreed. It was really fun until Level 50, after this it started to become stale. It's just seeing numbers grow that don't even make me feel more powerful due to the level scaling. There are some nice side-quest storylines, but in the overall context they feel pointless.
Yes the level scaling hurts the progression of the end game. Instead of feeling like making progress its just trying to tread water. Don't get any drops for a bit your behind and stuck. Get a drop or 2 or something on the paragon board your just breaking even for a while. Also the grind as it is makes me want no part of a season. Spending hours and hours doing renown and glyph leveling is a hard no. Renown needs to carry over all of it. Its not a fun grind to do any of it but strongholds.

Zheph

Yes the level scaling hurts the progression of the end game. Instead of feeling like making progress its just trying to tread water. Don't get any drops for a bit your behind and stuck. Get a drop or 2 or something on the paragon board your just breaking even for a while. Also the grind as it is makes me want no part of a season. Spending hours and hours doing renown and glyph leveling is a hard no. Renown needs to carry over all of it. Its not a fun grind to do any of it but strongholds.
Renown and map progression will carry they already mentioned that

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Started to skip cutscenes, just want this to be over.

Lvl 48 atm, while I have a bunch of legendary items the aspects of them are just not fun. I don’t care for any of my items at all.

“Chance of 14% to make an enemy fall asleep for 1 second If under a certain spell while he deals damage”

It’s all this nebulous stuff that isn’t directly visible or fun. IMO level scaling is sucking the fun out of the game. So is the non existing enemy variety.

I loved D2/D2R/D3 but this is somehow worse.

Freeman76

Lvl 48 atm, while I have a bunch of legendary items the aspects of them are just not fun. I don’t care for any of my items at all.

“Chance of 14% to make an enemy fall asleep for 1 second If under a certain spell while he deals damage”

It’s all this nebulous stuff that isn’t directly visible or fun. IMO level scaling is sucking the fun out of the game. So is the non existing enemy variety.

Im reallt enjoying 4, just hit level 75, but i still prefer 3 in terms of progression and loot. In 3 you could become OP without too much stress, and that was really fun to turn the tables in each torment level. In 4, the level scaling means I never feel like i'm getting anywhere. They've tried tol hard to keep people playing long term, and reduced the fun factor by doing so. I think they will come good though, its rare to see anyone who is happy with the endgame progression, so I expect their player numbers will be lower than they hoped. That will kick them up the arse

Even the paragon system is too scaled back, at first glance it looks really involved and deep, but in reality you dont get enough points to really make the most of it.

Last edited:

Agreed, it's just so incredibly boring to me. The game felt better at level 7 than 68 for me and that is just very strange for an ARPG.

amigastar

Man, everyone talking about how bad the Leveling system is in D4 makes me wanna stop the game. Although i enjoy it, lol.
Are there any people who enjoy it?

Last edited:

Shodai

Man, everyone talking about how bad the Leveling system is in D4 makes me wanna stop the game. Although i enjoy it, lol.
I enjoyed it due to the story and some nice character power growth until 75ish. However, doing it again is not something I aspire to.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Early leveling is the most fun part. I'll keep saying that. Seasons have been a restart for 10 years in D3 and since forever in Path of Exile. I thought everyone knew. You get more in D4 than in those two games. A crap load of skill points from the get go.
Exactly. Folks complaining about seasonal content “resets” are new to the genre and have plenty of hot takes to share.

I personally really like the seasonal fresh starts and would want this to remain the same for D4 seasons.

Tomeru

Early leveling is the most fun part. I'll keep saying that. Seasons have been a restart for 10 years in D3 and since forever in Path of Exile. I thought everyone knew. You get more in D4 than in those two games. A crap load of skill points from the get go.

Poe will turn 10 this august

Bartski

Gold Member
I didn't mind playing through the campaign, I think because you keep finding stuff that makes gameplay more interesting with aspects that change the way skills work in your build... But then it kind of hits a wall in t3, might find better stat rolls but it just feels like sifting through tons of loot trash and grind trying to keep up with the world

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I’m leveling my first character on tier 1. Any reason to go to the higher world tiers or should I wait until I hit max level?

No real reason, you get a little more exp but the enemies are also tougher, and all quests and enemies are leveled to you, so there's no net gain.

Tomeru

I have played Destiny 1 & 2 and thought it wasn't that bad.

But then I saw this video:

Holy shit. It's terrible.

The facts that he is presenting are true, but it really isn't that bad. The problems of destiny at this point are not mtx. Hardly mtx.

And seasons are a fucking must for a live service game, especially in a loot based game. Diablo/poe would die very quickly without seasons (including lvling a new character).

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Did level 89-93 since Druid loot table was fixed . Still no tempest roar.

I’m convinced I’ll hit 100 and beat Lilith on pulverize before I ever see that thing.

Core game design for the only two viable end game builds for a class should not be revolving around a unique drop with abysmal drop rates.

A class like rogue can just grab aspects from dungeons , no uniques, and is 100% build ready.

They need to remove the helmet unique imprints for Druid and put them into a dungeon aspect to farm. Change the helmets to do something to synergies with those builds and enchance them.

If you don’t get either of those helmets you don’t get to play viable end game as Druid. No way I’ll subject myself to this torture any other season. Rolling rogue.

The game is inmensely undercooked. Having PoE to steal from, I can't fanthom the:

• lackluster itemization
  • poor enemy variety
  • underwhelming pack size
  • unnecesary dungeon backtracking
  • MORPG-like world bosses that drop the same trash as everything else.
  • pathetic crafting options
  • cumbersome inventory management
  • uninteresting endgame
  • repetitive events inside dungeons
  • god-tier renown grind for every season
  • trash tier trading system (or lack thereof)
  • account bound items
  • Similar nightmare dungeons affixes. Nothing interesting happens, it's all "this shit follows you and it better not hit you"
I mean, I know you are playing the GaaS card for all its worth but at least have the game start with better content. Delirium for the sigils would've been so great. (Helltide ain't it chief)

Orbital2060

I got a level item 700 from a dungeon on wt3. Is there a set range of item levels that may drop from a tier? Ive found stuff that seem to be in the 600-700 tange at this tier.

Zheph

I got a level item 700 from a dungeon on wt3. Is there a set range of item levels that may drop from a tier? Ive found stuff that seem to be in the 600-700 tange at this tier.
Yeah it's messed up, the whole itemization is a big issue
on T4 you will get up to 820 regardless of your level...

Orbital2060

Yeah it's messed up, the whole itemization is a big issue
on T4 you will get up to 820 regardless of your level...
I dont mind the range of item levels, really. But it seems pretty random if the max at tier is around 700 and you can get those from a normal dungeon. I did a NM after that and gor some 654 pants. First NM dungeon, though, so no idea if drops are tunes to be closer to 700 than in normal dungeons. A tier1 nightmare so wasnt too bad.

marquimvfs

The game is inmensely undercooked. Having PoE to steal from, I can't fanthom the:

• lackluster itemization
  • poor enemy variety
  • underwhelming pack size
  • unnecesary dungeon backtracking
  • MORPG-like world bosses that drop the same trash as everything else.
  • pathetic crafting options
  • cumbersome inventory management
  • uninteresting endgame
  • repetitive events inside dungeons
  • god-tier renown grind for every season
  • trash tier trading system (or lack thereof)
  • account bound items
  • Similar nightmare dungeons affixes. Nothing interesting happens, it's all "this shit follows you and it better not hit you"
I mean, I know you are playing the GaaS card for all its worth but at least have the game start with better content. Delirium for the sigils would've been so great. (Helltide ain't it chief)
Also don't forget the poor controller implementation...

Top Bottom