• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

TheStam

First time playing end-game, I'm level 73 Barrage Rogue at WT4 and it's been fun so far, just smashing through everything. Suppose I need to mix up my build at this point. But really everything was manageable before WT4. What's the best way of leveling in this scenario? Pit / Infernal Hordes / Tree stuff / something else? I feel like wherever I go I suddenly get smashed. I tried Ladder and got one shot by the first enemy, so probably not that.

Antwix

First time playing end-game, I'm level 73 Barrage Rogue at WT4 and it's been fun so far, just smashing through everything. Suppose I need to mix up my build at this point. But really everything was manageable before WT4. What's the best way of leveling in this scenario? Pit / Infernal Hordes / Tree stuff / something else? I feel like wherever I go I suddenly get smashed. I tried Ladder and got one shot by the first enemy, so probably not that.
Infernal hordes are the best at pretty much everything currently. Leveling, gear, gold, and masterworking materials (tier 4+). I just do that as well as world boss and helltides to mix things up a bit. If you're looking for a specific piece of gear, helltide chests might help and you get tree quests kinda naturally in helltides. But for all-around gear, infernal hordes give you a ton. The Pit is pretty much obsolete in season 5.

I do Nightmare Dungeons once I hit level 70 because it's the only way to level your glyphs.

Nydius

Agreed, they should turn the nightmare dungeons in Greater Rifts imo. Have the same bar, fill it up, beat the baddy, get the upgrade. The tedious fetch quests are long in the tooth for me in season 5.

That’s pretty much what the Pit is. With the Pit and Infernal Hordes out there as late/end game activities, both should offer glyph XP progression, IMO.

What's the best way of leveling in this scenario?

If you just want to level to 100 as fast as possible, Hordes is the way to go. But if you want to make a build that will last and make progressing through higher tiers easier, you’re going to need to start grinding nightmare dungeons for glyph upgrades, unfortunately. You’ll still level that way of course, it’s just a lot slower and more tedious than hordes.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
While Lightning Spear sorc is fun and whimsical and all, I still want to try to make a stupid hydra build. I think it could work now that Starlight Aspect works properly to generate resource from healing. That coupled with life on hit, Axial Conduit (mana spend), and Crown of Lucion (mana spend) should proc a lot of the extra hydras from the hydra enchantment.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
That’s pretty much what the Pit is. With the Pit and Infernal Hordes out there as late/end game activities, both should offer glyph XP progression, IMO.
Yea, exactly. I really wouldn't mind it at all if they just rolled all sigil use into the Pit mechanic and just let you roll with either doing Pit or Glyph Runs...get rid of all the tedious "recover and replace X amount of things" and just let you fill up the bar with good ole' fashioned murder.

Antwix

While Lightning Spear sorc is fun and whimsical and all, I still want to try to make a stupid hydra build. I think it could work now that Starlight Aspect works properly to generate resource from healing. That coupled with life on hit, Axial Conduit (mana spend), and Crown of Lucion (mana spend) should proc a lot of the extra hydras from the hydra enchantment.
It would be cool if not for the fact that there's a hard cap limit on the amount of hydras. iirc I think there's that aspect that increases it by 1 giving you a max of 3 hydras at one time. Could be wrong though.

I tried like eight chain lightning builds but the results were always the same, tier 5 of IH was ezpz but anything past that was not possible. And single target damage is doooooodooooooo. I farmed last night and this morning and tried the frozen orb build, it fucking smacks so much harder and requires much less in terms of gear.

But I get one shot a lot in tier 6

Nydius

Yea, exactly. I really wouldn't mind it at all if they just rolled all sigil use into the Pit mechanic and just let you roll with either doing Pit or Glyph Runs...get rid of all the tedious "recover and replace X amount of things" and just let you fill up the bar with good ole' fashioned murder.

Agreed. I hope after Vessel of Hatred launches I never see “Collect Animus from Animus Carriers.” again. Legitimately my least favorite dungeon design, followed closely by “Replace Bloodstone/Mechanical Box to the pedestals.”

cormack12

Gold Member
Agreed. I hope after Vessel of Hatred launches I never see “Collect Animus from Animus Carriers.” again. Legitimately my least favorite dungeon design, followed closely by “Replace Bloodstone/Mechanical Box to the pedestals.”
Floating shade for me as a modifier. What a fucking mess that it on bosses.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hi guise 😍✌️☮️ (American crow woman voice)

srsly.. i played d2 for about 1000 hours.
Bought d3 6 times and about 2000 hours..

Why the fuck can’t i force myself to even start a new run after getting to world tier 4 after playing when it launced.

Told myself it would be better just like d3..

But i just can’t loot is fucking boring.
The open world is fake as fuck.
The mtx is retarded
And so are the horses.

Like holy shit make me like d4 🤣

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It would be cool if not for the fact that there's a hard cap limit on the amount of hydras. iirc I think there's that aspect that increases it by 1 giving you a max of 3 hydras at one time. Could be wrong though.

There's no cap for the hydras spawned from the enchantment (every 200 mana spend you get a free hydra). That's why I'm trying to juice my mana spend with Axial Conduit and Crown of Lucion.

edit: Nevermind I didn't test it enough. It is hard capped at twice the amount of hydras you can have. So with the +1 aspect, you can have 6 hydras out at once max.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

My idea would be that after level 100, your exp bar still fills up and every "level" you get after 100 levels up one random glyph. That way you'd still want to do NMD to target level, but it wouldn't obsolete them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This reminds me of one of my key criticisms of Diablo 4's design and the developers' approach to fixing it. I recall one of the devs saying in an interview that they made leveling faster so that you can "find the fun" faster. But the thing is - shouldn't we take a bit of introspective to see WHY the early game isn't fun and try to make it more fun? Instead of putting a band aid on the problem by letting users just power through it faster.

Same with NMD. Instead of obsoleting this mechanic, I'd prefer they find a way to iterate the design on NMD to make them fun and something that people want to do.

Like holy shit make me like d4 🤣

Right now, the game is perfect for super casuals like me who don't have a lot of time or skill anymore. It appears the devs are leaning into this, so it's possible the game might never be something you'll enjoy.

Try Path of Exile.

But the thing is - shouldn't we take a bit of introspective to see WHY the early game isn't fun and try to make it more fun? Instead of putting a band aid on the problem by letting users just power through it faster.

It doesn't sound like the devs have any plans to do this. The expansion should have a cool/fun campaign, but I'm betting seasonal content will continue to be "get to max level as soon as possible so you can start the fun".

Nydius

But the thing is - shouldn't we take a bit of introspective to see WHY the early game isn't fun and try to make it more fun? Instead of putting a band aid on the problem by letting users just power through it faster.

I agree but I guess we’re the minority.

Maybe I’m misremembering but when D4 first came out I seem to recall people cheering that leveling was slower and regular bosses a bit harder and more methodical because the common complaint about D3 was that people could get to max level in a day or two and become AOE destroying gods that trivialized all but the hardest tier of content.

Now I see articles (like PC Gamer) and people on Bliz forums cheering that they can get to max level in a couple days and anyone with a pulse can make a build that destroys everything but tormented bosses and the highest tier Hordes with minimal effort.

Wasn’t that what people wanted to get away from? Alas, I agree with PaddyOCanager PaddyOCanager ; I suspect the game is heading the way of Destiny 2. They will want people to hit max level ASAP every season so they can get into the end game content and try to keep people interested/buying season passes.

Last edited:

Antwix

Lightning sorc breaking servers LOL

HOTFIX 4 - August 15, 2024 - 1.5.0

GAME UPDATES​

• Aspect of Splintering Energy
    • Damage increased from 25-50% to 50-80%.
    • Splintering Energy will arc to additional enemies less frequently.
      *NOTE: Tooltip descriptors for this will be changed in a upcoming update.
Developer Note: In rare instances, this aspect alongside Fractured Winterglass could cause detrimental server performance issues. To solve for this, we’re reducing the frequency of it arcing to additional enemies, and increasing its damage to compensate. Additionally, the amount of Frozen Orbs that can be launched from Conjurations while using Fractured Winterglass has been adjusted in these rare instances.

Bug Fixes​

• Fixed an issue where Damage over Time effects could persist after the player died and revived.
  • Various stability improvements.
Developer Note: The team is continuing our investigations around issues and player reports tied to trading. For now, trade will continue to be disabled and we will follow-up with updates. Thank you all for your patience.

Also, XP/Gold boost next week.

Blessings Aplenty: Earn Increased Experience and Gold​

From August 20, 12 p.m.–August 27, 10 a.m. PT, all players will earn 35% experience and 50% Gold at a (multiplicative) increased rate. Lilith blesses all her children, as this bonus applies to both Seasonal and Eternal Realms, and all World Tiers. This bonus stacks, so pair it with Elixirs and the Urn of Aggression to maximize your experience gains while killing Monsters.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
There's no cap for the hydras spawned from the enchantment (every 200 mana spend you get a free hydra). That's why I'm trying to juice my mana spend with Axial Conduit and Crown of Lucion.

edit: Nevermind I didn't test it enough. It is hard capped at twice the amount of hydras you can have. So with the +1 aspect, you can have 6 hydras out at once max.

Antwix Antwix Actually, the +hydra heads temper doesn't work on the hydras spawned by the enchantment. Boo.

So I’m doing this Frozen Orb LS build I found on Reddit. It fucking wrecks. I finally got to a point where I could beat T6 of IH. I went to farm Beast in the Ice this morning and he whipped my ass for almost an hour until I finally killed him. Just cheap bullshit one shots. But he dropped a Tyrael’s Might.

It’s the only mythic I have. Do you think I should just start running it now or wait until I have more mythics for the build?

So I’m doing this Frozen Orb LS build I found on Reddit. It fucking wrecks. I finally got to a point where I could beat T6 of IH. I went to farm Beast in the Ice this morning and he whipped my ass for almost an hour until I finally killed him. Just cheap bullshit one shots. But he dropped a Tyrael’s Might.

It’s the only mythic I have. Do you think I should just start running it now or wait until I have more mythics for the build?

I started running it immediately. Also found another Tyrael’s this morning, which I salvaged for the spark. Then killed Lilith on the first try. This build is amazing.

Also found Tibault’s Will or whatever this morning, and a Shako last night. Crafted a Ring of Starless Skies this morning, will farm and masterwork later today. Can’t wait to see what difference is makes. Before the Tibault’s and Starless ring, tier 7 of IH end boss was still not doable for me.

Is there an activity with greater chance of dropping two or three GA items or is it all luck?

Antwix

Is there an activity with greater chance of dropping two or three GA items or is it all luck?
outside of torment bosses, just doing the highest tier of IH that you can do comfortably is your best bet. also don't forget to sometimes check in with the seasonal quest girl to redeem in your mother's gift drops to get her caches. those will give GA as well sometimes. i forgot about her for awhile and came back and got like 9 caches lol

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

I started running it immediately. Also found another Tyrael’s this morning, which I salvaged for the spark. Then killed Lilith on the first try. This build is amazing.

Also found Tibault’s Will or whatever this morning, and a Shako last night. Crafted a Ring of Starless Skies this morning, will farm and masterwork later today. Can’t wait to see what difference is makes. Before the Tibault’s and Starless ring, tier 7 of IH end boss was still not doable for me.

How much are you playing to get these items? Or are they just massively buffed this season? I'm only level 83 so I haven't spent a ton of time this season, but I've made it to 100 every season and I've NEVER seen a mythic unique, let alone a great one like Shako. You're over here getting multiples and I'm just trying to find one. Lol.

Last edited:
How much are you playing to get these items? Or are they just massively buffed this season? I'm only level 83 so I haven't spent a ton of time this season, but I've made it to 100 every season and I've NEVER seen a mythic unique, let alone a great one like Shako. You're over here getting multiples and I'm just trying to find one. Lol.

I’ve definitely played a bit since the new season dropped, but not poop bucket levels or anything. Idk if they buffed the overall drop rate but I think I remember reading they changed it so all of the bosses have the same drop rate.

Either way I think it all comes down to luck. Last season I only found one Uber and I didn’t even notice it, I salvaged it and only knew I’d gotten one because I got the spark for it. I was able to craft a Shako with the sparks.

It was just an incredible run. I started with Beast in the Ice thinking maybe I’d get a Tyrael’s, and I did. That night after work I thought it would be awesome to get a Shako and first tormented boss I killed dropped one. Then I looked up who drops Tibault’s… first time I killed them they dropped it. First time I killed a tormented boss looking for any mythic to salvage for my last spark.. there was the second Tyrael’s. Maybe I should buy a lotto ticket.

If I get any more or one you need you’re welcome to it. Idk how gifting or trading works in the game though.

Antwix

Ended up getting ring of starless skies, andariels helm, and a shako today adding to my tyraels. good stuff. Probably gonna make a rogue soon and try that andariel build. Also that selig mythic amulet should've been boots or something. I don't know why they decided to put all def stuff on an amulet.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Mostly luck, but the 60 aether greater chest in the infernal hordes mode has a good chance of GA items. Last season, chain farming the Blood Maiden in helltide was also pretty decent, but I don't know about now since I haven't really done a lot of helltide.

iQuasarLV

I am fed up with the maddeningly mundane, "Items from last bosses in the game result in no one to use them on." type of game development.

Placing a unique on pinnacle bosses that make a build work is just plain goddamn stupid.

I am so tired of playing a werewolf build on the druid just to proceed through post-endgame to obtain items to try out a different build that doesn't rely on being a werewolf.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I am fed up with the maddeningly mundane, "Items from last bosses in the game result in no one to use them on." type of game development.

Placing a unique on pinnacle bosses that make a build work is just plain goddamn stupid.

I am so tired of playing a werewolf build on the druid just to proceed through post-endgame to obtain items to try out a different build that doesn't rely on being a werewolf.

You'll use them plentily in horde mode to get mats for masterworking, believe me.

iQuasarLV

You'll use them plentily in horde mode to get mats for masterworking, believe me.
There is a sizable gap from level 58 to 100, glyph leveling NMD 45+, and uber boss farming that the druid has to make it through to begin to attempt for those uniques on Duriel and Andariel. Its so stupid to load up Twitch and the insanely few druid streams are all werewolf builds. Says something about the state of the class. Yet, they want to introduce another hybrid class to the game. I have no hopes for it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
There is a sizable gap from level 58 to 100, glyph leveling NMD 45+, and uber boss farming that the druid has to make it through to begin to attempt for those uniques on Duriel and Andariel. Its so stupid to load up Twitch and the insanely few druid streams are all werewolf builds. Says something about the state of the class. Yet, they want to introduce another hybrid class to the game. I have no hopes for it.

To be frank, for the current meta druid (landslide) you need 5 uniques but only one drops from duriel, you can farm the others on T3 to enable your build. Sacred uniques are as good as ancestral uniques when it comes to their aspects which is the thing that enables your build.

Last edited:

Antwix

New co-op and party finder stuff looks promising. Actually good looking cosmetics not locked behind a pay wall as well. I hope to see that be a trend and not a one time thing.
Yeah party finder is great. Should've been there at launch but it's great that it'll be there for the expansion. Citadel looks promising but I'm not sure how to feel about those basic "step on a plate to open a door" puzzles. And I'm not sure the zelda OOT Ganon "hit the orb to bounce it back" mechanic really belongs in a diablo game. Hopefully it's more fun than tedious.

Excited for some new shit to do though.

Mortisfacio

Yeah party finder is great. Should've been there at launch but it's great that it'll be there for the expansion. Citadel looks promising but I'm not sure how to feel about those basic "step on a plate to open a door" puzzles. And I'm not sure the zelda OOT Ganon "hit the orb to bounce it back" mechanic really belongs in a diablo game. Hopefully it's more fun than tedious.

Excited for some new shit to do though.

New content is what I'm most excited about. If any of it is done well, more endgame content to do. I played a LOT of D3, but D3 was only bounties and rifts. Currently the endgame is ladder bosses, whispers, the pit and helltides in D4 (NM dungeons are arguable as once you get glyph 21, I dont think anyone does them again - hordes I'd love to see be a persistent feature beyond the season). Getting more variety to do would be huge, for me. The issue then becomes with variety, half of it may get ignored as people will always drift towards efficient. So that's more to balance, but I'm optimistic. D4 had a rough launch, but this is the best state it's been in. Looks to improve in the expansion as well. Eager to see how this plays out.

omegasc

went on to help a random player with Zir, and this dropped

cel5k8s.png

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
**edit** missed the earlier post.

Merc system (and skills there in) look to be a nice addition.
Party Finder is much needed and hopefully will be a great addition.
Co-op focused dungeon mechanic…we will see.

Last edited:
Man I have a shako and tyraels with damage reduction and I still can’t help but get cucked in one hit by Desecrators in tier 7 of IH. I’ve only beaten it once, but I can fly through tier 6. Those mother fuckers just keep one shotting me.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m definitely liking the idea of 60 being the level cap if you still hit it as about as fast as you do now.

Should help get builds online faster and characters into end game. I get bored around 60 exactly every season and either tough it out or not.

DavidGzz

I’m definitely liking the idea of 60 being the level cap if you still hit it as about as fast as you do now.

Should help get builds online faster and characters into end game. I get bored around 60 exactly every season and either tough it out or not.

They mean 60 instead of 50+50 paragon. Now it's 60+50 paragon. So we get 10 more skill points to distribute among the skill twig. Cap will be 110. 9 more expansions will get us to 200.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
They mean 60 instead of 50+50 paragon. Now it's 60+50 paragon. So we get 10 more skill points to distribute among the skill twig. Cap will be 110. 9 more expansions will get us to 200.
I’d rather get to paragon sooner and doing end game activities. If that’s what this does, then that’s a good change.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think it would be good to have 50 be a "soft cap" or sorts, where you get enough tools to be endgame viable. Then, the path from 50 to 60 takes exponentially longer, just so that it doesn't feel like exp gained doesn't go to waste. That way, I can tell that a level 60 player has actually played way longer than someone who is level 50.

Top Bottom