• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

xVodevil

I get it people had issues at launch, it was there. I'm just glad this game is turning out as expected even then. However it was the same with D3 at launch and add the lovely server issues on top..
So still I've had my fun time even a year ago, but it's just so nice how the game is actually shaping up to be actually great and multiple times much more fun to just get back in for a few weeks each season.
Surely growing up on D1+D2 like a maniac I just couldn't imagine not having a good Diablo game to jump in for a few weeks every new season in my life, so I just couldn't hate it even last year :D

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Agree.

I am all about being able to get "great items" as early as WT3, but honestly I don't spend any more time in WT3 than I have to on the way to WT4. It seems like they are fixing the slog-fest of "middle game" by dropping better items and not addressing how boring the middle game content can be (looking at YOU nightmare dungeons...)

I think one of the fundamental design disagreements I have with the D4 devs (or perhaps this might just be a misunderstanding on my end) is that their approach to solving the "early game is boring" problem is to speed the player towards endgame which is "fun". Rather than figuring out how to make early game fun and meaningful as well.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Interesting how the boss summoning mats are static but the rewards are better on higher torment levels. I can appreciate how that encourages players to get good.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I thought the sacred items were a good fill in for the lack of ancestral drops in current d4. It does seem like they are adding a few more features (more tempering slots etc.) Will see how frequent the drops are in Torment.

Level 100 rank glyphs? JFC....ugh.

AND...they are adopting the Legendary Gems from D3 by making the Glyps an "attempt" to upgrade. No more NMD for the glyps, but if you can only rank up your glyps in the pit that means you cannot get glyps until level 60 (max level)?

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
They just said, "If something was working in Diablo 3, then we should try to use that".

Agreed. That makes me wonder why there were so many good features from Diablo 3 that were completely missing in Diablo 4 at launch lol

Mortisfacio

Working so haven't been able to listen to all of it. Lot of endgame reworks, but with the move of glyphs from NMD to Pit, did I miss where they said anything about what the point of nightmare dungeons is supposed to be going forward? It wasn't even included on the crude picture of game progression by content.

edit: Q&A answered this. All mobs in NMD will drop masterworking materials, so that's the purpose. As opposed to "Every wrong turn is a waste of time when I'm trying to get to the boss to end this" it's now "every turn that results in enemies to kill is a value add". I like this approach.

Last edited:

Josemayuste

How do you guys think the game is nowadays, has it improved?. I was gifted a PS5 copy and didn't even finish act I out of boredom.. double dipped on Steam Deck recently and I'm in the mood of giving the game a second chance..

How do you guys think the game is nowadays, has it improved?. I was gifted a PS5 copy and didn't even finish act I out of boredom.. double dipped on Steam Deck recently and I'm in the mood of giving the game a second chance..

Definitely try it out, it’s way improved… especially this week with the treasure goblins is a good time to start.

Josemayuste

Definitely try it out, it’s way improved… especially this week with the treasure goblins is a good time to start.

Yeah, I have seen that 'goblin event' already. How do you think the game has improved since launch date?. May you elaborate? Thanks mate. But I think I'll definitely give the game a chance, yep.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have seen that 'goblin event' already. How do you think the game has improved since launch date?. May you elaborate? Thanks mate. But I think I'll definitely give the game a chance, yep.

Better endgame, better abilities, smoother gameplay, better balancing overall.

Still a ways to go but the game is certainly on the right track. Had it launched in the current state it wouldn’t have gotten the poor reception that it did.

CrippledGod

Banned
Can't wait for the expansion. I really enjoyed the story and while the grind was a bit too much, leveling up a new class and doing a bit of it is always a fun way to spend 20-30 hours.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Def putting a sorc through PTR. The addition of the “boost vendor” will hopefully avoid a bit of that grind when just tryin out different build combos…assuming you pay with in game gold.

Cyberpunkd

Made it to level 20 as a Rogue, did the mastery quest, got better items. Yeah, this game is pure crack, happy to be back.

Need to take a moment and read on the skills, right now I’m using base attack and then rapid fire with 3/3 combo points, thinking there is probably explosive arrow there somewhere.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Made it to level 20 as a Rogue, did the mastery quest, got better items. Yeah, this game is pure crack, happy to be back.

Need to take a moment and read on the skills, right now I’m using base attack and then rapid fire with 3/3 combo points, thinking there is probably explosive arrow there somewhere.

If you want something akin to explosive arrow, use the shadow imbuement skill with rapid fire, penetrating shot, or barrage.

DavidGzz

Amazing Campfire chat! A round up of what I'm excited for:

1. Difficulty tiers that make more sense
2. Paragon 300(fuck yeah, after hitting 100 it was so boring before)
3. Paragon shared between characters
4. Runewords!!
5. Leveling glyphs in the pit and much faster to level to 15 than before.
6. New Paragon board for each class
7. New skill and passives for each class(Dance of Knives is my fave.)
8. 10 more skill points to work with(level 60 cap)
9. Mercenaries who buff you
10. New items
11. New Class
12. Favoriting a town to port to by default
13. Dungeon key inventory
14. No more long monster death animations
15. Inventory tab just for socketables
16. New stash tab

If you want something akin to explosive arrow, use the shadow imbuement skill with rapid fire, penetrating shot, or barrage.
Yhh that would work. I thought for leveling up on it was quite good to stick shadow on flurry for AOE damage and just rapid fire for single targets, then drop the flurry once you land scoundrels kiss (although I find that can be a bit of a pain at times using a controller...)

Cyberpunkd

Ok, I am running with base skill, rapid fire, max skills into potion stun, rain of arrows imbued with poison. I am deleting mobs, although the lack of AoE is a bit painful. The only mob that took a while was Blood Bishop, that shit had like tons of health. I mostly stay in place, pop inner calm and life on hit through the damage.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

If I understand correctly Unique is even better than Legendary? Is there a way to increase item level or should I hope for the same item to drop when I’m level 50?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If I understand correctly Unique is even better than Legendary? Is there a way to increase item level or should I hope for the same item to drop when I’m level 50?
It depends on the Unique. Some will match the skills you and stats you are optimizing, some won't.

Higher item level items will drop as you kill higher level enemies. Another way you can increase your item power for now is to temper your gear at the blacksmith.

Cyberpunkd

Ok, I have reached max level. Can Treasure Goblins chests be used to equip a new CB character next season? I stopped opening them since I am running kitted with legendaries. Or next season they will only appear in Eternal Realm thing?
Or if I understand it’s still valuable because salvaging legendaries will allow me to upgrade their aspects/effects, which I can then use to replace one from the legendary I don’t like or that is less potent? Do these aspects last through the next season or all resets?

Chukhopops

Ok, I have reached max level. Can Treasure Goblins chests be used to equip a new CB character next season? I stopped opening them since I am running kitted with legendaries. Or next season they will only appear in Eternal Realm thing?
Or if I understand it’s still valuable because salvaging legendaries will allow me to upgrade their aspects/effects, which I can then use to replace one from the legendary I don’t like or that is less potent? Do these aspects last through the next season or all resets?
You always want to pick and recycle legendaries indeed since it upgrades your aspects and allows you to imprint stronger versions.

They won’t transfer to new seasonal realms though. As far as I know only reputation rewards, cosmetics and Lilith statues transfer to new realms.

Cyberpunkd

You always want to pick and recycle legendaries indeed since it upgrades your aspects and allows you to imprint stronger versions.

They won’t transfer to new seasonal realms though. As far as I know only reputation rewards, cosmetics and Lilith statues transfer to new realms.
Ok, so I will open all of them and salvage away. Do aspect unlocks carry over to Eternal Realm (not that I care to play it, starting a different character each season is kinda fun).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ok, so I will open all of them and salvage away. Do aspect unlocks carry over to Eternal Realm (not that I care to play it, starting a different character each season is kinda fun).

Salvage to keep your aspects, and keep an eye out for gear with good stats. Generally speaking, the ones to look out for are gloves, rings, and amulets with attack speed, critical strike chance, critical strike damage, main stat, and/or life. Gear with +skills to the skills you use. Amulets with +skills can be valuable. Gear with greater affix stats. Boots with movement speed.

Aspect unlocks do carry over to Eternal.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Someone might have mentioned this…

Those bags will also give you class specific items if you open them on another seasonal character.

I’ll run a sorc (easy class for me to blast to 100) then save up the bags for other characters I make.

SantaBanana

Neo Member

Holy crap so now you keep your aspects? Like it's not a one time thing like at the launch?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That was a good change. Once used, do you keep them though? I remember hanging on to them until I found a 2nd one before using one

When you salvage an aspect, it is saved in your codex, so there is no longer any need to save a bunch of legendaries in your stash for imprinting purposes. Once saved in the codex, you can imprint as many times as you want, provided you have the gold. If you find a legendary item that has a higher level aspect, salvaging that item updates/upgrades your codex.

SantaBanana

Neo Member
When you salvage an aspect, it is saved in your codex, so there is no longer any need to save a bunch of legendaries in your stash for imprinting purposes. Once saved in the codex, you can imprint as many times as you want, provided you have the gold. If you find a legendary item that has a higher level aspect, salvaging that item updates/upgrades your codex.
What a quality of life update

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Holy crap so now you keep your aspects? Like it's not a one time thing like at the launch?
They changed the system several times, first it was a one time use, then there was a system where it would store the best version of each aspect and you could reuse it as long as you had materials to imprint. Now each aspect has a level and it increases each time you recycle an item with the aspect.

Also recycling an aspect unlocks its appearance for cosmetic use (previously you had to choose between extracting the aspect and unlocking the appearance).

Cyberpunkd

As expected achievement for reaching level 50 on PS5 didn’t unlock on PC, something…

Duo’d a world boss with some level 40 barb, in typical world boss fashion the loot was absolute thrash.

Should I bother with side quests? I barely stared Scotsglen and I’m level 52. I have a feeling I should just wrap the campaign and then unlock WT3 to really push seasonal content.

Chukhopops

As expected achievement for reaching level 50 on PS5 didn’t unlock on PC, something…

Duo’d a world boss with some level 40 barb, in typical world boss fashion the loot was absolute thrash.

Should I bother with side quests? I barely stared Scotsglen and I’m level 52. I have a feeling I should just wrap the campaign and then unlock WT3 to really push seasonal content.
If you’re level 52 you should definitely go for WT3 now, you won’t find any challenge at T2.

If you have obols (the thing you get from events) spend them once you reach Tier 3 for an instant upgrade. Then you can start doing Nightmare dungeons and Hordes.

Edit: sidequests are only useful if you want to get the last reputation rewards.

Last edited:
Top Bottom