• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

draliko

Just saw the video... Is blizzard finally healing? Are the dei times over? At least they didn't show designers unable to play their game this time. Very excited about party finder and merch, they're finally bringing back the goods from d3, now if they manage the fix the glyphs boredom and a couple of other things we'll finally have a good diablo game

Xyphie

I think they should just do something like get rid of NMDs and let paragon levels beyond the node cap be what levels up the glyphs, and let that system scale infinitely at a limited scale like they did with post-800 Paragon in D3.

iQuasarLV

I think they should just do something like get rid of NMDs and let paragon levels beyond the node cap be what levels up the glyphs, and let that system scale infinitely at a limited scale like they did with post-800 Paragon in D3.
Too much time and money put into that system. I say cap NMD runs at 5 runs per glyph to 15 starting at Tier 20, and it can scale from there to glyph level 21. It is stupid I have to grind into the 40-60 range to get any measure of satisfying return on glyph XP. That and at Tier 45 you are now in PIT mode since that is what activates it.

So which is it? I should have all my glyphs at 15+ to start PIT'ing or its a balance. Either way it sucks to have to gatekeep each end game mechanic behind a separate grind to put it all together to form Voltron of builds. Pfft.

Regular Game Progress
Legendary Affixes: Farm Regular Dungeons
Glyphs: Farm Nightmare Dungeons
Uniques: Farm Pinnacle bosses
Pinnacle Bosses: Farm Hellrifts
Uber Bosses: Farm Pinnacle bosses for materials
PIT unlocks: Farm Nightmare Dungeons for powder

Seasonal:
Currency: Farm Hellrifts
Faction XP: Farm Hellrifts
Horde Tiers: ? Just barely unlocked this and no idea how the currency grind works.

Once you form your Voltron of builds you can then grind tiers of PIT and Hordes. All the other gameplay to get here is inconsequential. What a waste of time

All this and its always the same story from game chat and streamers of get to 100, max glyphs, and you begin the true endgame. The hell?! After 5 seasons how is this fun anymore. Especially when any change to game mechanics will invalidate your character's gear when they transfer to the eternal realm. As if the item you grinded for doesn't matter. Like a politician stealing that sucker from a baby stereotype.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Still in favor of removing the nightmare dungeon mechanics and replacing them all with the Pit (Greater Rift) bar. Great for early grind (to get dungeon specific aspects) and still provides late game incentives (rare resources, etc) as you climb higher tiers.
The Nightmare Dungeons are incredibly tedious to me.

Antwix

So is this game good or not?

And how woke is it on a scale of 1 to 10?
much better than launch. better loot, better activities, campaign is a little meh, but it's a fun time overall. depends what kind of player you are though.

and i don't think i've ever thought about anything being woke ever while playing so 1 i guess. maybe 2 depending how you feel about the female character models lol

Cyberpunkd

So I installed it on a Steam Deck and….its pretty awesome? Linking the BN account was painless and it starts so much faster than compared to PS5.
Thinking of dropping 30€ for it, the portable experience is just so much better.

finalflame

Expansion looking sweet indeed. With that said, anyone got a good barb leveling guide I can follow for S5? I just hit 50 and been lazy on going to T3.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Expansion looking sweet indeed. With that said, anyone got a good barb leveling guide I can follow for S5? I just hit 50 and been lazy on going to T3.

At level 50, you can even get to world tier 4. Make sure you have damage and defense tempers on your legendary items, and that your resistances are as close to 70 as possible and your defense is as close to 9000 as possible.

Once you're in world tier 4, your first priority is to get legendary ancestral items.

finalflame

Any one of these

Sweet! Clearly I have been OOTL on where to look. Will take a gander. Seems barb is considered trash this season?
At level 50, you can even get to world tier 4. Make sure you have damage and defense tempers on your legendary items, and that your resistances are as close to 70 as possible and your defense is as close to 9000 as possible.

Once you're in world tier 4, your first priority is to get legendary ancestral items.
Awesome, thanks. Actually just wrapping up my last meeting of the day and gonna jump in.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sweet! Clearly I have been OOTL on where to look. Will take a gander. Seems barb is considered trash this season?

Barb is only "trash" if you want to push really far into endgame. Even then it's not useless, just a little slower than the other classes. For what you're doing, barb is fine.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If you're wondering why Desecrators kept one shotting you, it was a bug. It's fixed now.

HOTFIX 1 - August 26, 2024 - 1.5.1

Bug Fixes​

• Fixed several issues where the following enemies were dealing more damage than intended
    • Desecrator in Infernal Horde
    • Beast in the Ice and summoned monsters during the encounter
    • Hellborne
  • Various performance and Stability improvements.

DavidGzz

So I installed it on a Steam Deck and….its pretty awesome? Linking the BN account was painless and it starts so much faster than compared to PS5.
Thinking of dropping 30€ for it, the portable experience is just so much better.

It's always one of the most played Steam Deck games for a reason. Super smooth experience. I think it was number two after Wukong last I checked.

Antwix

Antwix Antwix Are you making a new OT for the expansion, or will we just keep this one?
I'd vote to just keep this thread going 🤷‍♂️. Not like the thread is crazy super popular so I think this one will suffice especially since the game is more of a live service game now. Plus it seems like they're adding a bit of the features to the base game so it won't be incredibly different from the dlc.

If you're wondering why Desecrators kept one shotting you, it was a bug. It's fixed now.

HOTFIX 1 - August 26, 2024 - 1.5.1

Bug Fixes​

• Fixed several issues where the following enemies were dealing more damage than intended
    • Desecrator in Infernal Horde
    • Beast in the Ice and summoned monsters during the encounter
    • Hellborne
  • Various performance and Stability improvements.

So that’s what it was. I thought there was something wrong with my build.

I wanted to start a new character so I'm not sweating it. I haven't played this game is its initial release. Apparently there has been a lot of positive changes with loot and other things.

Game is a lot of fun and seems to be improving. I feel like this is what it should’ve been at launch.

There’s still a lot of things they need to improve though. For example, so much loot is trash. You spend a lot of time sifting through junk and that could be solved through a simple loot filter. Tempering feels rigged to keep you playing longer and longer. Boss materials are annoying to accumulate. I don’t like recollecting all the waypoints and redoing the same side quests every season in order to progress, feels cheap in that sense.

They also need to allow more variety in builds. It’s obvious some are designed to be meta (like lightning spear sorcerer). Sure, you can build anything you want and have it be decent, but there is a huge difference between an Andariel Rogue/Lightning Spear Sorcerer and everything else in the game.

finalflame

Join the NeoGAF clan if you need any help in game :lollipop_horns:
Will do tonight! Just getting started on my Upheaval barb build and just got into WT3..time to start the loot grind to get the build to come together
Antwix Antwix Are you making a new OT for the expansion, or will we just keep this one?
I'd vote for a new one. Don't want to rub elbows with plebeian expansion not-havers :p

Cyberpunkd

Ok, can someone give me a rough outline what to do first? Going by previous games it doesn’t matter what I spec or equipment, just put bigger numbers and go through the campaign?
Then when the expansion releases get a new class, skip campaign and go grinding?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ok, can someone give me a rough outline what to do first? Going by previous games it doesn’t matter what I spec or equipment, just put bigger numbers and go through the campaign?
Then when the expansion releases get a new class, skip campaign and go grinding?

As you go through the campaign, test out the different skills to see which ones jive with you. For you gear, in general, higher item power is better.

Cyberpunkd

As you go through the campaign, test out the different skills to see which ones jive with you. For you gear, in general, higher item power is better.
Thanks. If I understand correctly some skills have three passives - I need to spend point in the first one, then I have a choice between the two others, so at any point two passives are applied?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thanks. If I understand correctly some skills have three passives - I need to spend point in the first one, then I have a choice between the two others, so at any point two passives are applied?

Yes. Additionally, you'll find gear with legendary affixes that can also influence your skills. Keep an eye out for the legendary powers that boost the skills you like the best.

If anything this loot goblin event is just hammering home how pointless playing feels when you get hundreds and hundreds of drops in a night and maybe one could be considered a side grade replacement for something equipped.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
At least with the TG drops this time around I am getting items I can use for my other seasonal characters. I don't know if that was something they specifically added to this version of the Goblin event or not, but I have way more usable equipment for other classes.

But I guess the argument could be just fight the gobs with those other characters...which would produce better items but whatever...at least it isn't all vendor trash!

Last edited:
At least with the TG drops this time around I am getting items I can use for my other seasonal characters. I don't know if that was something they specifically added to this version of the Goblin event or not, but I have way more usable equipment for other classes.

But I guess the argument could be just fight the gobs with those other characters...which would produce better items but whatever...at least it isn't all vendor trash!
Yeah I mean I've definitely gotten stuff from the goblins that is decent, just nothing I could or would actually use. I still somehow don't have any GA on my boots or gloves because nothing has dropped with a GA where at least 2 affixes are what I want.

I guess on the bright side I have a lot of gold saved up so that when I finally get that 2/3 pair of gloves I can afford the 200 million gold my shit RNG will require to get the third affix to be what I want.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm not sure yet if I'm on board with the added torment difficulty levels. I can see why they chose to solve this particular design problem in this fashion, but again when I think to my experience in D3, I felt it was dumb that there were like 20 different torment levels because power scaling was so unbalanced and ridiculous.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I'm not sure yet if I'm on board with the added torment difficulty levels. I can see why they chose to solve this particular design problem in this fashion, but again when I think to my experience in D3, I felt it was dumb that there were like 20 different torment levels because power scaling was so unbalanced and ridiculous.
Agree.

I am all about being able to get "great items" as early as WT3, but honestly I don't spend any more time in WT3 than I have to on the way to WT4. It seems like they are fixing the slog-fest of "middle game" by dropping better items and not addressing how boring the middle game content can be (looking at YOU nightmare dungeons...)

Last edited:
Top Bottom