• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did GAF pass on Outlaws because it was woke?

Why didn’t you buy Outlaws?

• Total voters

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No, I'm just sick to the back teeth of hearing about Star Wars for the last decade. Might play it one day on a deep discount once (if) that's no longer the case.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I actually bought a month of ubi premium and completed the game, and the funny thing is that the protagonist face is the less woke thing in the game.

I think majority of people saw the glitch/bugs videos on yt and bailed out, i doubt being woke had that much to do, the game is just deeply mediocre.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No, I'm just sick to the back teeth of hearing about Star Wars for the last decade. Might play it one day on a deep discount once (if) that's no longer the case.
So you aren’t interested in the million SW games, movies and endless Disney TV shows?

Their saturation strategies didn’t work on you?!?!?

Sintoid

The last UBI open world game I bought is AC2... their other open worlds bored me viewing them on YouTube
Funny Thing I was intentioned to buy AC Shadows, didn't care about historical wrong details, it's a fictional opera you know

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So you aren’t interested in the million SW games, movies and endless Disney TV shows?

Their saturation strategies didn’t work on you?!?!?

Blocking Shots Fired GIF

Pagusas

Elden Member
No, passed on it because I'm burnt out on Star Wars due to Disney. Honestly 5 - 10 years ago this game would have been a thing of dreams.

foamdino

Wasn't worth paying full price for as I was not sold on a few aspects. Waiting to black friday deal, if it's cheap enough I may get it.

Majukun

Have no interest in star wars, have no interest in ubi open world games, so was not gonna buy it anyway.

But Videos I saw also assure I will probably not play it ever even as a curiosity

Davey Cakes

It's more Star Wars slop. I imagine people are burnt out on the franchise. Anyone interested can wait for a few months and buy it for half off so it's not high-commitment.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I actually bought a month of ubi premium and completed the game, and the funny thing is that the protagonist face is the less woke thing in the game.

I think majority of people saw the glitch/bugs videos on yt and bailed out, i doubt being woke had that much to do, the game is just deeply mediocre.
Guaranteed if the character looked better there would be more buyers. The only time on forums or Twitter people brought her up was making fun of her in memes and comparing against humberly Gonzalez.

Also it seemed anytime people showed impression clips, it was more laughs like bugs, bad AI or knocking out an enemy with one punch to his helmet.

If you think about it, most popular streamers made fun of the game then praising it like if they played and showed clips of elden ring or wukong.

Similar to concord. Once you get everyone laughing at it, it’ll be a tough slog for success. And I don’t mean laughing at it in a fun way like Helldivers 2 partying like starship troopers. But laughing how bad it is.

Last edited:

MrKainobi

Neo Member
For me the game just looks very mediocre all around. At the same time all Ubisoft games are discounted really quickly and land on PS+. To me Ubisoft gives very little reason to get their games for full price in general.

saintjules

Gold Member
Game looks pretty, but upon watching some gameplay I came to the conclusion that it plays like shit so I skipped on it.

The MC being ugly is a factor, sure, but not the reason.

It's actually not that bad. Playing on PC and I start to see why people gloat more about playing games on PC these days.

Anyway, the game came free with the 4070S. Otherwise I would have waited on a sale I guess.

I passed because it's generic garbage that has been done better by other studios years ago.

Did you check 4:05?

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I passed on it for the same reason I’ve passed on most Ubisoft titles in the last 10 years - it’s soulless, generic, design-by-committee, collectathon trash. Doesn’t help that the protagonist is fucking awful and yes, I do feel like an agenda is being pushed on me, which is the icing on the cake. But far from the “only” reason why I’m not even slightly interested in this game.

I voted because it's Ubicrap.
I couldn't care less about the boring ass Star Wars IP, and the game looked fucking shite from Day 1.

I also think Woke is overused and basically just means it doesn't have a white dude as the main character nowadays. There's genuinely woke shit like that Swedish indie game that came out recently with that terrible song, and then there's "woke" Ghost of Yotei which is only because it's a girl.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I passed on it because it seems like an amateurish game with clumsy and outdated game mechanics.

I'm not strictly right-wing or left-wing; I consider myself center-left politically. And I don't believe gaf would classify themselves as "right-wingers" either, people who think this may have mistaken common sense to be exclusive to a particular side. As mentioned, my views lean towards the center-left, and I STILL have a strong aversion to the condescending activism of the far left.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
it’s a video game dude lol
Videogames need internal consistency aswell.

A skinny, small woman doesn't ko a trooper with an helmet with a backslap or a catch a mole bonk punch that looks more fake than a wwe move.

Han was knocking down troopers aswell but he is a 185 cm tall man, he doesn't use weird looking moves and the tone of that movie is all over the place, outlaws is way more serious most of the times.

Think about it, in what other videogame you ever heard anyone trolling the ko animations? I think i only readed that once related to hfw because it has one sjngle ko animation that look as silent as a rock concert, but other than that, i don't remember much else.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I passed on it because it seems like an amateurish game with clumsy and outdated game mechanics.

I'm not strictly right-wing or left-wing; I consider myself center-left politically. And I don't believe gaf would classify themselves as "right-wingers" either. As mentioned, my views lean towards the center-left, and I STILL have a strong aversion to the condescending activism of the far left.
I think most people in life are centre-ish. Problem is just because someone leans a certain way for a topic, then people assume you are that way for all topics.

I lean right for low taxes, small gov and anti woke. But I lean left for universal health care, anti gun and freedom of choice for abortions!

BlackTron

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Don’t put thoughts in my mind. I mean I think you’re all loonies, but that was way before the culture wars. When you started defending the 360. I may be more moderate that the average fellow gaffer but I won’t judge them for passing on a game with a insufferable message that you have to swallow for solid 40 hours. The outcomes in my head where more like:

A) woke bad. Cultural aspects have more importance than game design, what a time to be alive.

B) gameplay bad. See, Yves? All you had to do is release the leash from your designers and let them actually make a good game. But you were too afraid of change and you should have been more afraid of not changing.

This isn't new. Super Mario Bros was a great game in 1985. Had it starred Super Gay Hoes instead it would have failed even with the same level design.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I could have gotten over the woke part if the game was fire. Like I wouldn't care that much about character look. It's not stopping me from being hyped for Fable, you see? Because I believe the game will be fire (until further impressions).

But its ubicrap, with bad AI, stupid gameplay decisions like losing your side gun when climbing a ladder. Star Wars franchise fatigue from the crap they've pulled and on top of that, it's not about jedis. An outlaw would be fine if you could actually do outlaw things, open sandbox ala GTA or something.

dottme

I might eventually play it for really cheap. We’ve seen game like BG3 being woke and a success.
There’s a lot of noise about this woke and non woke stuff but I believe most of the player don’t care.
But the main character looking like shit, the game being really buggy, the game not doing anything especially good, just ok. That I care.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For you guys waiting for it to be cheap, don’t worry.

Black Friday is coming and UBI delayed AC to next year. Their goal rest of year is to get as many sales of Outlaws before AC comes out in Feb 2025. So expect some major deep discounts later this year.

They know full priced sales will be a slog since month one sales are sluggish. So they’ll dump it cheap later so they can at least promote…. Hey, after a slow start we sold 5M after all!

Last edited:

digdug2

It's actually not that bad. Playing on PC and I start to see why people gloat more about playing games on PC these days.

Anyway, the game came free with the 4070S. Otherwise I would have waited on a sale I guess.

Did you check 4:05?
The team who did the excellent plant deformation needs a raise. Everyone else though...

a'la mode

Neo Member
Passed on it because I'm not that interested in Star Wars, and I'm kind of burned out on Ubisoft open worlds anyway. All the gamer noise and gamer takes were not a factor in any way. Maybe when it's on a heavy discount later and I have nothing else to do.

Kacho

Videogames need internal consistency aswell.

A skinny, small woman doesn't ko a trooper with an helmet with a backslap or a catch a mole bonk punch that looks more fake than a wwe move.

Han was knocking down troopers aswell but he is a 185 cm tall man, he doesn't use weird looking moves and the tone of that movie is all over the place, outlaws is way more serious most of the times.

Think about it, in what other videogame you ever heard anyone trolling the ko animations? I think i only readed that once related to hfw because it has one sjngle ko animation that look as silent as a rock concert, but other than that, i don't remember much else.
They don’t need believability for a bog standard gameplay mechanic. It’s like in movies when people get knocked out immediately after a pistol whip. It’s just accepted in the context of the media.

The animations being bad are a legitimate criticism. The believability of it is just nitpicking.

Last edited:
The game looked about as mediocre as they get. It is also attached to the Star Wars IP which I'm bored of. It's one of the most oversaturated franchises out there so I'm sure a lot of people have got Star Wars fatigue.

I'm not sure what all the woke stuff is about outside of he main character. However, I wouldn't care if the main character looked like a spoon full of dog shit, it doesn't make a difference to whether or not I play a game. That's a silly reason not to play a video game in my opinion.

I didn't see anyone complaining when they played Super Meat Boy where the main character is a a piece of red meat, or Dizzy, where you play as a fucking egg.

It's a crappy Ubisoft game. Its' stealth and combat looks worse than old crappy Ubisoft games, Star Wars as an IP is basically dead to me since Disney has been churning out shit movies and shows, and nothing about the story looks like it will make up for the first two.

Gary Vaynerchuk GIF by GaryVee

I will buy it when it is 90% off with all the DLC at some point in the not too distant future...............

Last edited:

Sokka

I don't really buy Ubisoft games anymore, if there's a single player game I want I would just buy a month of Ubisoft+ and complete it within a month. I plan to do that with Assassin's Creed Red.

Also due to not liking Star Wars stuff.

GymWolf

Gold Member
They don’t need believability for a bog standard gameplay mechanic. It’s like in movies when people get knocked out immediately after a pistol whip. It’s just accepted in the context of the media.

The animations being bad are a legitimate criticism. The believability of it is just nitpicking.
Agree to disagree, looking silly is also a legitimate flaw, it take you out from the immersion of a game that aim for max immersion (ubisoft words).

I asked you a question, do you even remember another game in the past 10 years that has been so heavily trolled for its takedown animations? Nope.
So There must be something severely wrong in outlaws to attract so much shit talking for a bog standard gameplay mechanic like takedowns, and the animations looking silly is just part of the story, it's too much of a specific critic to be a nothing burger like you say.

And believe me, silly takedowns are the last of this game problem, i don't put much weight on them when i judge the game, but they are they are fucking hilarious nevertheless :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I don't even know what's woke about it, other than Ubi intentionally making the protagonist's model uglier than the real-life model. It just looked like more boring, cookie-cutter Ubislop. And the AI looked atrocious.

NahaNago

The marketing never gave me a desire to buy the game. I do kind of want to buy it when it is discounted so I'll do some research on it and try to convince myself to buy it.

Kacho

I asked you a question,
I didn't answer because it was rhetorical. But you're talking about the animations, not the believability of it. I agree the animation work is bad.

However, when it comes to criticizing the game, I think the "durrr da storm troopers have der helmets on" is a moronic thing to focus on. If I wanted low effort monkey brain takes on how bad Outlaws is I'd watch a Yellowflash video on YouTube.

Top Bottom