• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you know? (MGS 2) *spoilers within*

Lakitu

st5fu
Saw these on another forum and thought it would be interesting to share with you, I wonder what they would have been like if they were implemented into the game.

-MGS 2 Spoilers: Apparently at the end when Snake breaks free from his handcuffs and Raiden isn't, it symbolizes that Snake also broke free from his genes while Raiden (handcuffed) is still a slave of his genes.

-MGS 2 Spoilers: I believe this analogy was explained before, about Solid Snake = Godzilla and Raiden = King Kong. Snake is Godzilla because Godzilla was originally created by man after an experiment went wrong, Snake as you know, is a clone of Big Boss. Raiden, himself, is King Kong, he was captured by Solidus and brought back to the city (kind of like how King Kong was captured in a jungle).

Hideo Kojima says that Raiden wouldn't be returning in the future since Solid Snake freed Raiden who is allowed to return to the "jungle" and Solid Snake is Godzilla, as long as Metal Gear continues to exist, he'll keep fighting.

-Arsenal Gear's digestive system was a tribute to Pinnochio. Sort of like how Pinnochio was in the Whale.

-Raiden is actually supposed to be a "Samurai" of modern times, little details add to that apparently, such as his gun and sword only being the visible weapons.

-"Metal Blade" - during early stages I presume, they originally had in mind to create these mobile suits to be used inside Arsenal Gear. They were basically these mech type characters that give the guards extra protection and weapons. They had three phases:

Mobile: To walk around.
Alert: Which allowed them to use a face shield to look around.
Stationary: Allows them to get maximum armor but can't move around.

The suit was supposed to cover them and would reveal a few weak points. Initially they were supposed to be sub-bosses but later on they were supposed to be where the Arsenal Tengus are at now (fighting them when with Snake). Though Hideo Kojima scrapped the design.

-"Original Metal Gear Ray" - Originally it never meant to go underwater but when that change they had to overhaul the design to make it much more compact and mobile.

-"Original Raiden" - An interesting one this. Hideo Kojima wanted his looks to resemble that of a Samurai. His mask design was very important since they planned to use it for about half the game. The player would start the game in the Big Shell, with this different, slim looking character who would not take off his mask. players were supposed to think it was Snake. Then once they see Pliskin, they would have doubts about who they're playing as and start questioning what happened to Snake. Once Raiden met the President, he finally takes off his mask revealing himself, following the "Tanker Chapter" -- explaining the events preceeding the first half of the Plant Chapter explaining everything, then once the player completed that, they'd move on to the 2nd part of the Plant Chapter. Confusing huh? IMO, that would have been cool.

-"Character: Ed" - Ed originally was supposed to be the Bomb Disposal expert (but later was replaced by Peter Stillman). This is the Ed, from Hideo Kojima's previous title, "Policenauts", who in that game, is the partner of Johnathan. Hideo Kojima decided to take him out though since the character, Ed, would have to die and he really respects Policenauts and thinks of it as his best work. While Metal Gear, Snatcher have been handled by other people before, Hideo Kojima would not let anyone touch Policenauts. He even directed all the ports of the games, and would not allow it to get translated unless he oversaw it. It seems that he is obsessed with his work on "Policenauts", damn I'd really love to play it.

-"Ocelot's Hand" - This is a good one, earlier, Hideo Kojima intended to use this as a reference to Star Wars meaning the hand was supposed to be robotic and would have a glove covering it. Much better than using Liquid's arm.

-"Character: Max" - Max was basically MGS 2's equivalent of Mei Ling. Hideo Kojima states that they took her out because she wasn't original enough and would require alot of lines, voice acting. It seems she may have been replaced by Rose.

-"Black Cell" - Dead Cell was originally called "Black Cell", to symbolize their name, all of them wore sunglasses but before a battle they would remove the sunglasses and keep them safe. The name was changed because it sounded to much like "Red Cell", which is the group Dead Cell is based off. Black Cell did everything Dead Cell did, bar the senseless killings classed as accidents.

Vamp originally was female, I think you all know that. Basically she was supposed to be the "whore" of MGS 2, and was supposed to have slept with The Doc, Salary Man and Old Man (more on this characters later). Weird huh?

-"Characters: The Doc, Salary Man" - These characters were originally supposed to be in there but were cut. The Doc apparently was the creator of Arsenal Gear (who was very smart and created the design single handedly) and was also Emma's mentor. Salary-Man always carried a case with him, was "more than a friend" and looked after The Doc. In the game, you were supposed to learn from Emma, that he along with Salary Man were trapped and Raiden would have to go through the flooded rooms to rescue them. Raiden would eventually find them, then discuss with them and as soon as the topic of the Patriots came up, the place would come crashing down and both The Doc, Salary Man would refuse to leave. Emma and him would then leg it letting them stay (and drown).

-"Character: Old Man" - Originally a member of Black Cell, was 100 years of age, not much is known about him other than the fact he was cut during the early stages since they had too many characters.

-"Character: Chinaman" - I think you've all heard of him aswell. He's Vietnamese and lived in China Town. His whole body contains a tattoo of a huge dragon, when fighting him he would jump into the water and the Dragon would come alive. He had other abilities aswell such as running on water (which was later given to Vamp) and communicating with Sharks. For instance, during the time the player would be swimming to save The Doc & Co, he would send sharks and to avoid them, the player would have to hurt themselves in the wrong places, and draw the sharks away with blood.

-"Snake: Penguin Suit" - Initially, Snake in a Penguin Suit was supposed to be used for an MGS 2 subway ad.

That's all, but if you have any more, drop them by! I would have loved some of these ideas if they made the game :(

"-"Character: Old Man" - Originally a member of Black Cell, was 100 years of age, not much is known about him other than the fact he was cut during the early stages since they had too many characters."

Sounds like he made a return in MGS3 as The End. He's also 100 years old.

On a sidenote, here's a hi res pic of MGS3's boxart:

artwork_051.jpg

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I really like the top half of the cover but I don't like the bottom half. It's just an aesthetic opinion, I think the cover does it's job.

Thanks for the info Lakitu, I didn't know about any of that.

I think that if this all had actually happened in the game, MGS2 would've been about 10x better. I really liked this bit:
-"Original Raiden" - An interesting one this. Hideo Kojima wanted his looks to resemble that of a Samurai. His mask design was very important since they planned to use it for about half the game. The player would start the game in the Big Shell, with this different, slim looking character who would not take off his mask. players were supposed to think it was Snake. Then once they see Pliskin, they would have doubts about who they're playing as and start questioning what happened to Snake. Once Raiden met the President, he finally takes off his mask revealing himself, following the "Tanker Chapter" -- explaining the events preceeding the first half of the Plant Chapter explaining everything, then once the player completed that, they'd move on to the 2nd part of the Plant Chapter. Confusing huh? IMO, that would have been cool.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Lakitu said:

Would've been cool, except for one thing: what about his voice? If he doesn't sound like Snake, isn't that sort of a give-away?

Well, they could've made his voice sound highly modulated and distorted in communications...or maybe done us a favor and not said anything at all...until the identity was revealed.

Kiriku said:
Would've been cool, except for one thing: what about his voice? If he doesn't sound like Snake, isn't that sort of a give-away?

I think his body build was the first give away. Solid is really bulky in MGS2 while Raiden is fairly thin.

It seems like he's doing something similar to that with MGS3 though. Snake looks like Solid and sounds like him, but the time period screws it up.

hobart

Similar... but not the same...

The difference, of course, is that most people know that this is actually Big Boss.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
US boxart == rawk

Also, that "original Raiden" idea could have been really damn cool if it had been done properly...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I knew about half of this, but much of it is new to me.

Boxart looks awesome.

Also, that "original Raiden" idea could have been really damn cool if it had been done properly...
Not only that, but the robotic arm thing would just make sense. When I heard they actually had that idea and dropped it, I was dumbfounded.

Solid

Woa cool info, thanks :)

If they were smart they'd put in some of the things in MGS2: Substance. That'd be awesome, kinda like a Director's Cut :D

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
dark10x said:
The original Raiden idea is MUCH MUCH better than what they had in the final game. I'm very sad that they changed it but they probably had an excellent reason.

The 'Snake in a Penguin Suit' ad campaign would have been hysterical but I doubt marketing would have let that one fly, OHH WELL.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They really should have done that original Raiden thing...

Lakitu said:
For instance, during the time the player would be swimming to save The Doc & Co, he would send sharks and to avoid them, the player would have to hurt themselves in the wrong places, and draw the sharks away with blood.

That's a cool game mechanic; I hope it gets used elsewhere.

It'd make sense to use something like that in MGS3 since its going to have alot of water in it. Keep MGS2's swimming controls. It's one of the few games where the swimming controls actually worked.

Also a little thing about Raiden, a big reason for him coming into the series is to appeal more to the mainstream. Alot of gamers (mainly female) don't like it that you're playing with a middle aged man so Raiden came in to please those gamers that wanted a younger main character. Raiden has a broader appeal to those gamers.

Alias03

Am I the only one that likes Raiden? Dont get me wrong I love Solid Snake but I really didnt mind Raiden. I thought his story was interesting.

teepo

SilentHill said:
Am I the only one that likes Raiden? Dont get me wrong I love Solid Snake but I really didnt mind Raiden. I thought his story was interesting.

i really liked him too.

Pachinko

Reading all that stuff I wish this game kept all of that stuff. They should have thrown out fatman and kept one of those other villains. Also that shark thing sounded cool if silly, seems kind of like the replacement for vulcan raven.

SolidSnakex said:
On a sidenote, here's a hi res pic of MGS3's boxart:

artwork_051.jpg
The US box art rocks. The JPN one's art is one of Shinkawa's worst pieces IMO. Not to mention the fact that it's just a white box with a logo and a Shinkawa drawing. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I prefer the Japanese cover (both the regular and collector's one) over this one. I like the more simplistic white background and also the fact that the Japanese covers matches in style with my Substance cover. This new boxart is still better than the previous all CG one with snake in the jungle though.

Bebpo

Banned
SilentHill said:

He moves like a ninja and uses a sword, how can you not like him?

Sure you can say Snake is more fun, but Raiden was not bad at all. I really enjoyed playing as him.

Dead

well not really...yet
Bebpo said:
Sure you can say Snake is more fun, but Raiden was not bad at all. I really enjoyed playing as him.
yep. I had no problems with Raiden whatsoever

john tv

Once again, Sony needs to get rid of that "Online" logo ASAP. It's absolutely hideous and makes the entire thing a total eyesore.

American designers... sigh...

john tv said:
Once again, Sony needs to get rid of that "Online" logo ASAP. It's absolutely hideous and makes the entire thing a total eyesore.

American designers... sigh...

Speaking of that, I noticed that the Japanese box doesnt have the online logo on it. So does that mean that there will be no camo downloads for it?

SolidSnakex said:
Speaking of that, I noticed that the Japanese box doesnt have the online logo on it. So does that mean that there will be no camo downloads for it?

What the hell, arent you susposed to know EVERYTHING about MGS? Remember you got mad at me years ago for making a MGS2 topic years ago and calling it 'offocal'?

In any case, I knew none of that, that's really cool, would have been a neat way to introduce Raiden, I remember when I first got to the big shell and saw him and was like "What in gods name happend to Snake?" that was more refering to his build brior to the unmasking, than when he showed him self I was dumbfounded (thanks for reminding me of that word Marconelly lol). I kept hoping that at some point I would get to play as Snake again, I was holding out that maybe you regain controle of Snake at the end, but I doubted it. in the end though, I dont hate Raiden, he's not Snake, but than again who is? Snake is Snake, hes badass.

I seem to remember reading on this board a couple years back someone saying that Kojima was trying to prove that who you play as in a game is a more important factor than some might think, or something like that, I'm probably a bit off with that, but it is kinda true, look how many people were mad about that? Though that completaly depends on the game too, like for example people arent bitching that you arent reprising the role of 'Fido' or Tommy Vercettie in San Anderas. But with an established cherecter like Snake, it's different, though people dont seem to be mad about it not being the Snake we know in MGS3, but maybe that's becuase he still is Snake, and very much like Solid Snake. I dunno... thought's?

Either way, I still loved MGS2, and just out of curiosity, SSx, what is your opinion of it? I know most here like to hate it, but I cant remember what your opinion was, I THINK I remember reading you saying you like it, but I could be wrong.

Lastly, the MGS3 are looks great, though I am suprised it's not following the same fassion as MGS2's art, er, I guess the Jappanese one you guys are refering too...

~Black Deatha

"Either way, I still loved MGS2, and just out of curiosity, SSx, what is your opinion of it? I know most here like to hate it, but I cant remember what your opinion was, I THINK I remember reading you saying you like it, but I could be wrong."

I loved it. I don't really mind playing with characters other than Solid, even if it's someone like Raiden.

"Does anybody know when the MGS3 OST will be released?"

December 15th

Laurent

SilentHill said:
What I like about Raiden is that he represents the young and innocent player. We know NOTHING about his past, he as absolutely no personality, exactly like Link or Mario that never talks in Nintendo games. He never questions authority and do everything that he is told (exactly like a someone playing a videogame). The fact that the Colonel ask him to turn off the game console at the end of the game reinforce that image. Also, when Solid Snakes give him the speech at the end, it is a clear message to the player...

Although everyone want to be identified as Solid Snake, no middle aged man build up like him ever played that game! Solid Snake viewed by a rookie... Brillant!

Pachinko said:
Reading all that stuff I wish this game kept all of that stuff. They should have thrown out fatman and kept one of those other villains. Also that shark thing sounded cool if silly, seems kind of like the replacement for vulcan raven.
You have to admit that we're glad they scrapped the sunglasses part...

artwork_051.jpg

Is this Vulcan in the tree? Or maybe that guy with the bleeding eye (which is the oposite eye of the one that Big Boss is loosing in the game)?

Top Bottom