• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

TR_

Unfortunately Plesiomon's ability doesnt seem to do much in the way of damage despite being a def peircing attack thanks to it being AOE. I've never managed to out damage the healing they give themselves on their next turn and I can never seem to damage 1 of them enough to kill them in a single turn. Its absolutely maddening. But I am playing on hard. So if you're on normal you might have better luck.

Maybe try adding acceleration boost on dps mons? I pretty much relied on Lilthmon for the whole game until imperialmon PM and master cup. I was playing on hard too.

I'm playing this on PS4 but so far I'm enjoying this more than Persona 4. Just to stress how good this game actually is.

I do really like Persona 4, but I don't like the combat / battling in it so much, the Digi-evolution system is much better than the Persona creation system offered in that game. Persona 4 has a better narrative, and more to it generally (a larger world, a longer game, more dialogue, English VA) and if I were being objective P4 is the better game, but for me this game is more enjoyable just because I feel as though I'm getting such a lot out of the battle and monster systems.

The story and characters are fun too. I'm enjoying them, more so the more I play.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, what did I do to piss off the RNGods? Still no Tactician USBs, and I have a developer know how and 10 builders. Might as well watch some netflix and eat dinner while I'm reseting

Just beat story and Challenge #8
The trick is you just have to survive OmniSlash. Dynasmon got lucky and I used Revival DXs like mad.

silva1991

I kinda wish I digivolved my blue grey mon to dorugreymon instead of blue metalgreymon. looked way cooler.

Nah you did the right thing. in the end Blackwargreymon is stronger than shinegreymon because of his de-penetrating attack.

Just beat story and Challenge #8
The trick is you just have to survive OmniSlash. Dynasmon got lucky and I used Revival DXs like mad.

Devs wanted you to use
Jesmon
in this fight

though I think Gankoomon can also survive the last blow if you keep him at the bottom of reserved digimons.

ramyeon

Just bought and started this on PS4. Played a few hours non-stop - I love it so far. This is exactly the type of RPG I wanted to play at the moment.

CbO4UcMUMAApK6q.jpg:large

Party so far.

wasted all day getting 6 Tactician USBs
3 Max level lv 50-70+ Platinum Sukemons and 1 Gold Numemon
and Angewomon+LadiDevmon+Kyubimon+ getting 80 ABI for the yuri DNA Digivolve
and a bunch of Ultimates and Champion and 2-3 Megas
its still chapter 4
I may have a problem
my current Party is Angewomon,Kyubimon,and Garururumon Ultimate form

Agu -> Geo -> Rize -> Gaiomon?

ABI/CAM will be the same for Gaiomon no matter what so I'd say go with that. Since it's either that or it's Agu -> Grey -> Metal -> Gaio. And that one needs CAM just to get Greymon.

Wait I think I got it.

The Blue Greymon line doesn't require CAM.

That means I either need to dig out another Black Agumon or find a Goblinmon somewhere....

AyanFaust

Banned
What's up with bosses in hard mode having about 10 turns for each turn I get? I just fought the boss in chapter 18
and crusadermon kind of kicks my ass. The first time through with kyoko, she goes down pretty quickly, but then yuuko is like "I wanna go in!" suddenly crusadermon is at full health again and starts spamming her buff and fist of Athena which utterly destroys one digimon, no matter who it is, and I can't do shit about it. The fact that she can spam it since she goes about 6 to 8 times before I can means that she can do a lot of damage before I can do much.
I love the game, but on hard mode, it sometimes feels just unfair rather than hard... Especially when I have loads of level 99 megas who required 80 abi and other fenagaling to get, and they can get easily one shot by a random story boss spamming her attack.

Am I playing it wrong somehow? Type advantage didn't work, and it seemed like any move that wasn't pierce was just absolutely useless.

What's up with bosses in hard mode having about 10 turns for each turn I get? I just fought the boss in chapter 18
and crusadermon kind of kicks my ass. The first time through with kyoko, she goes down pretty quickly, but then yuuko is like "I wanna go in!" suddenly crusadermon is at full health again and starts spamming her buff and fist of Athena which utterly destroys one digimon, no matter who it is, and I can't do shit about it. The fact that she can spam it since she goes about 6 to 8 times before I can means that she can do a lot of damage before I can do much.
I love the game, but on hard mode, it sometimes feels just unfair rather than hard... Especially when I have loads of level 99 megas who required 80 abi and other fenagaling to get, and they can get easily one shot by a random story boss spamming her attack.

Hard mode bosses get pretty insane later on. If you haven't tried already consider using all those debuff moves Digimon get, since they stack SMT style. Knock her speed down enough you might be able to beat her quickly. Also DEF/INT piercing attacks can usually just out DPS the boss before their buffs overwhelm you.

There are so many badass megas in this game that I've never seen before. I wish Digimon was more popular cuz I would love to collect figures of a lot of them. This one definitely took me by surprise since I found Tyrannomon and Metaltyrannomon so ugly.

AyanFaust

Banned
Hard mode bosses get pretty insane later on. If you haven't tried already consider using all those debuff moves Digimon get, since they stack SMT style. Knock her speed down enough you might be able to beat her quickly. Also DEF/INT piercing attacks can usually just out DPS the boss before their buffs overwhelm you.

I actually didn't know the buffs stacked, so that's interesting. Thanks! I was using lilithmon and beelzemon BM to try and out dps her. But they could do about a third of her health before she killed them, and then she would just kill them again right after I revived them. I may have just got a bad set of RNG, but I'll definitely need to be using more buffs if they do stack.

AltRoku

Neo Member
It picks up after the first 20 hours not really joking. First 10 chapters had bad story.

Anyways I just beat Grand Challenge #7
Some tips...
- Start with Vaccine to kill Gallant
- Damage Alpha/Omni the same amount
- Last turn kill both

#4 and #7 are legit tough on Normal so good luck. Got one more left myself.

Right now, working on #2. Thought it was a breeze with it being a data-type, got it down to 10% then he just sweeps the whole team. I will probably work on another Lilithmon for this one, to burst him down. Thinking back, I should also start maxing the stats of my digimon haha

There are so many badass megas in this game that I've never seen before. I wish Digimon was more popular cuz I would love to collect figures of a lot of them. This one definitely took me by surprise since I found Tyrannomon and Metaltyrannomon so ugly.

man im probably gonna end up rewatching the anime after this game

Took Challenge 7 on my first try.

The Jesmon challenge was the hardest one for me since Jesmon is even more insane than Gankoomon on his own.

Grinding like shit for as many evolutions as possible now before finishing this game

man im probably gonna end up rewatching the anime after this game

I've been rewatching some Pokemon S1 episodes for the first time since I was a kid and man, Pokemon is so far behind Digimon it's not even funny. Like 90% of the episodes lack any kind of impact and the Team Rocket shenanigans take up like 1/3rd of the running time and it's the same thing in every_single_episode. Not that Digimon doesn't reuse stuff to fill up the running time *coughevolutionscough* but they are awesome :).
Still love TR doe.

RexNovis

Banned
Maybe try adding acceleration boost on dps mons? I pretty much relied on Lilthmon for the whole game until imperialmon PM and master cup. I was playing on hard too.

Acceleration boost is actually a really good idea. Might give that a go.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

Its pretty solid. Considering that I put quite a bit of time (41.5 hours completion time) into this game in only 12 days since its release.

Visually, it looks as good as an HD uprez of a PS Vita game can get without altering models or textures. Being 1080p 60fps helps quite a bit. In some places the art looks amazing such as the EDEN areas which look great. In a few areas in the real world have muddier textures. It blemishes a game that otherwise has a great artsyle. The character designs are really hit and miss.

The RPG gameplay/combat is an absolute joy. Battle animations are quick and flashy. It has a great sense of speed that makes something like Pokemon and FFVII-XIII feel incredibly sluggish. It being a monster collection RPG, there are a ton of options and a ton of variety. Grinding for levels hardly feels likes a chore.

Soundtrack is pretty great.

The story is serviceable I guess. It does get in the way of the RPG stuff at times. Won't say more than that. It goes into weird places near the end.

The investigation stuff is almost ripped from Persona 4 where you have to run around and ask people about things. These aren't great and interrupt the RPG gameplay that I adore.

​TL; DR Its has its flaws but the core experience of the RPG gameplay is easy to recommend to JRPG fans.

8.5/10

Nightbird

Turns out that the Legendary Cup is indeed the best place to farm Tactician USBs (and Data for Mega level Digimon)
Got two in two attempts

Nightbird

What if you after getting the UDB? will you keep it?

If you lose after receiving the USB you'll keep it. Just don't win the Cup, and you'll get to do it over and over again.

I will spend the day today doing this. I've equipped my Digimon with the research, Billionaire and large capacity USB's.

That's an easy way to receive tons of items (including tactician USB), money and a lot more Mega Digimon :)

ReaperXL7

Finally finished my first play through at around 63 hours, I am going to play through it at least one more time because I missed the guy that shows up at random places a few times and I have to get the colosseum and pvp trophies but i'll probably break for a bit since I have Far Cry Primal and The Division coming up soon.

Game was fantastic though, Its a shame I'm not that interested in Next Order ( I don't like that your digimon revert evos after death or that battles seem completely automated) but if they make a sequel to this I will be there day one for sure.

Final main team was the 7 demon lords, Omnimon Zwart and Titamon.

silva1991

If you lose after receiving the USB you'll keep it. Just don't win the Cup, and you'll get to do it over and over again.

I will spend the day today doing this. I've equipped my Digimon with the research, Billionaire and large capacity USB's.

That's an easy way to receive tons of items (including tactician USB), money and a lot more Mega Digimon :)

Forgot to type die/lose, but I'm glad you figured it out lol

that is indeed an easy, guaranteed and fast way to get those USBs

it sucks that I only did the cups after having like 3 extra USBs that I didn't need anymore -__-

Are we still missing some DLC?

Last time I checked yes, we UK users are still missing them.

demonkaze

So i've already passed the point in Chapter 4 where it's good to grind and I have 3 PlatSuka's and I understand it's best to digivolve them into Etamon and then PlatNunemon but I was wondering when is the best time to do this as I won't have access to their exp boosting skill after i evolve them. Also should I max out the Etamon's levels or evolve as soon as I meet the requirements?

Saphirax

So i've already passed the point in Chapter 4 where it's good to grind and I have 3 PlatSuka's and I understand it's best to digivolve them into Etamon and then PlatNunemon but I was wondering when is the best time to do this as I won't have access to their exp boosting skill after i evolve them. Also should I max out the Etamon's levels or evolve as soon as I meet the requirements?

Evolve one at a time. I did it as soon as they met the requirements, one of them being level 65. As long as they learn the Nightmare 3 attack, you're good to go.

Stuart444

Evolve one at a time. I did it as soon as they met the requirements, one of them being level 65. As long as they learn the Nightmare 3 attack, you're good to go.

Doing one at a time is a good idea but I'd recommend waiting until around Chapter 10 - 12 or something. Doing it early on will give you memory issues if you wish to keep them in your party*

*if you plan on DigiFarming them, this won't matter but I liked to keep them in my party just incase/for boss fights that aren't eaters.

Because of the platsuka/nume method, I got the digivolution trophy while levelling my other mons, I hate grinding excessively but Digimon makes it fun.

MongKey

when digivolving should I always be waiting until max level or when I meet the requirements for the evolution that I want?
You should be digivolving as you met the requirements.

Maxing the level is recommended when de-digivolving since it will give the most amount of ABI.

QUICK QUESTION: I made the idiotic mistake of naming my character the F word...I was being an idiot and I seriously regret it...I know there's no way to change it during a playthrough, but can I change it in a new game +?

I agree. It is definitely one of the best Vita games by far. If you like JRPG games, I consider it a must play title.
I've neglected to spend money on my Vita. I made a thread about remote play recently and I considered also buying the Vita version but remote play has for the most part been fine.

But yeah...it's a shame that the metacritic score isn't so hot. I mean like, it's not like the west is completely ignorant of how jrpgs are, you know? Giving it these mediocre scores still, I feel like is the result of a comparison to the experiences gained from bigger, more known AAA titles. But that isn't really fair. It's almost not being objective, but relative, you know?
Nah you did the right thing. in the end Blackwargreymon is stronger than shinegreymon because of his de-penetrating attack.
word yeah, Blackwargreymon is what I was looking forward to when I got the blackagumon preorder dlc. Somewhere down the line though I still do wanna get a dorugreymon.

kubus

This has probably been answered before but search didn't turn up anything so here goes:

Would cross save work between a EU PS4 retail copy and an Asian Vita retail copy?

This has probably been answered before but search didn't turn up anything so here goes:

Would cross save work between a EU PS4 retail copy and an Asian Vita retail copy?
Not 100% sure, but I doubt it. Saves in general aren't even compatible between different regions.

But yeah...it's a shame that the metacritic score isn't so hot. I mean like, it's not like the west is completely ignorant of how jrpgs are, you know? Giving it these mediocre scores still, I feel like is the result of a comparison to the experiences gained from bigger, more known AAA titles. But that isn't really fair. It's almost not being objective, but relative, you know?

I think part of the problem is that there aren't that many good JRPGs frequenting western markets anymore, so there aren't many fans of the genre left. As a result, many of the journalists reviewing the games do not like the genre, and do not want to be reviewing them.

They usually do not finish the games either, which doesn't help matters especially on a game like this which I feel is kind of a slow burn, picking up later, but also making you appreciate the lightheartedness of the earlier moments of the game as things get much more dramatic later down the line. It's also easier to post a negative article if the franchise is unpopular, because no one is surprised. I have felt on many occasions, for games like Disgaea, journalists have not played the games extensively and have instead, simply referenced their old reviews on Disgaea games and mimicked a similar score.

Hm, trying to think of which Royal Knights I'll even bother creating after the Great Challenges.

All of them. Since you'll have the grinding facilities to do it (or at least I do minus 2 Tactician USBs)

I already had Omnimon and Zwart ready to be made well before unlocking them, as with Jesmon and UlforceVeedramon.

Just grinding out a moveset to make a Lilithmon though.

Qwark

About to give up on hard mode. It's just not fun, every boss feels like a massive damage sponge and there doesn't seem to be a real strategy besides a slow drawn out fight.

MongKey

About to give up on hard mode. It's just not fun, every boss feels like a massive damage sponge and there doesn't seem to be a real strategy besides a slow drawn out fight.
You need DEF-penetrating attacks to deal significant damage to them since those skills ignores their defense.

Digimon like Stingmon and the Kuwagamon line has them.

Top Bottom